Santana?
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/ba ... story.htmlhat’s next for the Cub after the Jon Lester signing?
More pitching, perhaps.
The Cubs aren’t done looking for starting pitching, despite signing Lester and Jason Hammel at the winter meetings.
After I congratulated a top Cubs’ executive on the Lester deal in the hotel lobby late Tuesday night, he already had moved on.
“Yeah, I’d like one more,” he said.
“An outfielder?” I said.
“One more starter,” he replied.
cComments
Got something to say? Start the conversation and be the first to comment.
ADD A COMMENT
0
The Cubs have the resources to sign another starter, but since they already have enough fifth starter types to fill a row boat—including Tsuyoshi Wada, Felix Doubront, Jacob Turner, Dan Straily and kids like Dallas Beeler and Eric Jokisch—it’s not really a necessity.
But as long as they’re trying to win a championship, might as well splurge.
Ideally it would be someone with a short-term contract like the two-year deal Hammel signed. C.J. Edwards should be ready by 2016, and his path should not be blocked.
There are a few second-tiered free agent starters that would be enticed by the Cubs’ aggressive game plan, but the one name that kept coming up Tuesday night was Braves right-hander Ervin Santana.
The problem is Santana reportedly is seeking a five-year deal. Good luck with that.
But what if the Cubs came up with a one-year deal so enticing he could build his value on a contending team and become a free agent again in 2016?
It may be a longshot, but then again, who expected the Cub to outbid everyone on Lester?
The Braves veteran, who turns 32 this week, went 14-10 with a 3.95 earned-run average last year, throwing 196 innings and averaging 8.2 strikeouts per nine innings. He settled for a one-year deal for $14.1 million after going 9-10 with a 3.24 ERA with the Royals in 2013 and asking for too much on the market.
With Lester’s deal done, he’s the biggest remaining free-agent starter after Max Scherzer and James Shields. The Giants are reportedly interested after losing out on Lester, but would have to give up their first-round pick since Santana received a qualifying offer from the Braves. The Cubs would only have to give up a second-round pick.
Santana is 119-100 in a 10-year career, and has made 30 or more starts in six of the last seven seasons. A rotation of Lester, Jake Arietta, Santana, Hammel and Kyle Hendricks would give the Cub five solid starters, and lefty Travis Wood could either go to the bullpen and become a spot starter or be moved in a deal for an outfielder.
Wrigley Field is suddenly a hot spot. Let’s see if the Twitter-happy Santana wants to join in.