It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 1:42 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:21 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 6 characters
I'm in.

Quote:
Scientists are looking for online volunteers to help them identify signs of alien life in images of the lunar surface collected by NASA's Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter (LRO). The LRO has collected more than 34,000 images of the lunar surface since 2009.

Huffington Post reports that scientists Paul Davies and Robert Wagner of Arizona State University believe that the Moon which lacks an atmosphere is an ideal environment in which to search for evidence of past extraterrestrial visitors to our solar system. Alien visitors might have left evidence of their presence in the form of footprints, wastes, abandoned instruments, messages or past mining activity on the lunar surface. According to Discovery News, the Moon's lack of an atmosphere means that any disturbance of its surface will remain intact for a long time provided the visitors did not deliberately try to erase traces or evidence of their presence when they were leaving.

Daily Mail reports that according to Davies and Wagner, searching the Moon for artifacts or other evidence of aliens who might have explored our solar system in the past is possibly a more efficient way to search for extraterrestrial life than the current focus on detecting radio signals emanating from distant civilizations. The scientists explain that the growing body of images would be impossible for a small team of experts to examine. So they are inviting amateur enthusiasts to help examine the images and identify possible evidence of extraterrestrial presence or visitors to the Moon.

In a paper published online in the journal Acta Astronautica, the scientists argued: “Although there is only a tiny probability that alien technology would have left traces on the moon in the form of an artifact or surface modification of lunar features, this location has the virtue of being close, and of preserving traces for an immense duration. If it costs little to scan data for signs of intelligent manipulation, little is lost in doing so, even though the probability of detecting alien technology at work may be exceedingly low...Alien civilizations may have sent probes to our region of the galaxy. Any mission to the solar system would probably have occurred a very long time ago.The lunar environment could preserve artifacts for millions of years.”

Read more: http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/3 ... z1iVGZqxPq

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:24 am 

So we are to expect that aliens were able to travel lightyears to see us but needed to touch down on the moon for some reason?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:25 am 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
There's a few aliens on this board, so I would love to see them go.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:28 am 
1000 CLUB

spmack wrote:
There's a few aliens on this board, so I would love to see them go.

I sense a...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:49 am 

I've already fully surveyed uranus

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:08 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
good dolphin wrote:

Any signs of life?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:11 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
So we are to expect that aliens were able to travel lightyears to see us but needed to touch down on the moon for some reason?

Perhaps there are aliens closer than you think and they're technology is so advanced we dont know about them yet.

They might be chillin in their invisible spaceship hovering over earth.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:14 pm 

Hank Scorpio wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

Any signs of life?

Yeah but they are all assholes

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:20 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Perhaps there are aliens closer than you think and they're technology is so advanced we dont know about them yet.

They might be chillin in their invisible spaceship hovering over earth.
That's exactly what I would expect. There really are only two options. Either alien life is so far behind us that we'll be the ones probing them in the year 3000 or they are so far advanced from us they view us like an ant colony. The universe is billions of years old and yet we are only 500 or less years from even understanding how our own solar system worked. In those 500 years, we've gone from that to being able to send unmanned spacecraft out to the end of our solar system. In another 500 years, we'll likely be able to leave the solar system with manned spacecraft. That's an incredibly small amount of time to make major advances. The odds that another planet was on the exact same path of advancement is almost 0.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:40 pm 
1000 CLUB

Aliens undoubtedly view us as a subordinate species or race, if they are aware of our existance at all.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:20 pm 

Well, hey, I didn't spend all those years playing Dungeons & Dragons and not learn a little thing about courage.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:39 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
This has Carl Everett written all over it.