It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2009 Bears Expo
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 2:55 pm 

pizza_Place: Ian's Pizza
Is anyone going?

I got tix, but I was wondering if anyone has been in years past. Things to expect? Must sees/dos?

Post subject: Re: 2009 Bears Expo
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 11:37 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
http://boards.chicagobears.com/forums/t ... 88500.aspx

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 7:16 am 

Thanks Spaulding!

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 7:20 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
This sounds pretty cool. You will have to sum up your
experience afterwards. Getting some of the game used
gear would be right up my alley. I always wanted to get
one of those big, full length jackets the guys wear on the
sidelines when it is really cold out. Not sure where I would
actually wear it but always wanted one for some reason.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 7:27 am 

Yea T-bone, I'll be sure to.

Apparently the game used stuff is real inexpensive. A poster on the Bears MB said he paid $30 for Tommie Harris' sideline jacket (retail is $300).

I met a dude that bought Grossman's game used pants for $10 a few years back. Not sure what you do with these, but yea, still kind of cool. Ok maybe not, but still.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 7:30 am 

pizza_Place: Boboli
Chris in St. Charles wrote:
I met a dude that bought Grossman's game used pants for $10 a few years back. Not sure what you do with these, but yea, still kind of cool. Ok maybe not, but still.

I guess my toddler could wear them.....

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 7:56 am 

All in all, a great time. I'm 24, and my BIL (23) and FIL both came and everybody loved it. From what I could see (and my guess would be the same), it's perfect for kids. Lots to do and lots to see. The lines were long, but they weren't TOO bad. What you would expect. Some of the highlights:

- Locker Room Experience: You get a chance to walk in and see the amenities. Some of the lockers had gear in them (got a great shot of Urlacher's, Cutler's, Brigg's, Forte's game jerseys. I wouldn't do it again net year, but seeing it once is a must.

- On the field: You can go on the field (the let you go in the endzones, the rest is roped off). Kids can run some drills (some of the Bears no namers stop by, anyone can kick a field goal and you can get some great pictures.

- Memorabilia: A lot of memorabilia stores came and set up shot. Lots of cheap 8x10s for autographs, lots of helmets, balls, jerseys, you name it. I got a chance to meet the one and only David Spada who had set up shop down there. He said they had given away some 400 t-shirts (and I saw a lot of them around the field). Nice enough guy.

- Autographs: First 4000 get a scratch off for an autograph. All the big names (and some not so big) are in this lottery. So if you don't draw Cutler, you won't get him unless you traded yours or bought somebody else. I drew Van Horne (BIL and FIL drew Buffone). The 'scrubs' and rookies are all just set up at tables throughout the show. The lines for these guys weren't too bad. We're talking guys like Hanie, Steltz, Ronnie the Bull, D.J. Moore and guys like that.

- 2 Minute Drill: You can purchase game used clothing and gear at discount prices. They had practice jerseys, sideline jackets, game pants, facemasks, locker name plates, LOTS of t-shirts, sweats and things like that. They discounted mightily towards the end, so if you aren't picky about what you want, wait until the end.

- Q & A: Fans were able to ask Cutler, Forte, Pace, Olsen, Angelo, Lovie and a few others questions. Very laid back, but still pretty entertaining. Olsen and Cutler live together and they were talking a lot about that. They seem almost like they are dating, with the amount they giggle at each other.

All in all, definitely worth it.