All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Rare Baseball Films
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:53 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
http://www.blockmuseum.northwestern.edu/view/cinema/rare-baseball-films-the-newsreels.html

I would recommend this program to any serious baseball fan. I've gone for the past five years and it's always pretty good. Hell, Gary from Evanston even made an appearance last year and asked a dumb ass question.

What time shall we meet before hand for pre film mood enhancement?

You tell me. We've got Tommy Nevin's, Pete Miller's or Bar Louie pretty close.

Pete Miller's is probably the best of the three places listed above (I abhor Nevin's), but I would recommend Cary's Lounge (2251 W. Devon), Norse (just south of Devon on Ashland) or the Buffalo Bar at the Heartland (Glenwood and Lunt) as superior nearby drinking alternatives.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:59 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
Tall Midget wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
http://www.blockmuseum.northwestern.edu/view/cinema/rare-baseball-films-the-newsreels.html

I would recommend this program to any serious baseball fan. I've gone for the past five years and it's always pretty good. Hell, Gary from Evanston even made an appearance last year and asked a dumb ass question.

What time shall we meet before hand for pre film mood enhancement?

You tell me. We've got Tommy Nevin's, Pete Miller's or Bar Louie pretty close.

Pete Miller's is probably the best of the three places listed above (I abhor Nevin's), but I would recommend Cary's Lounge (2251 W. Devon), Norse (just south of Devon on Ashland) or the Buffalo Bar at the Heartland (Glenwood and Lunt) as superior nearby drinking alternatives.

Cary's is one of my regular spots. I figure Tall Midget for the kind of guy who might throw a few back with Chuck Mertz in there on a Saturday afternoon.

I try to avoid the Heartland at all costs unless one of my hippie former-Evanstonian friends is in town and insists on going there. I'll usually try to steer things to Lucky Platter as the lesser of two evils.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:09 am 
1000 CLUB

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Cary's is one of my regular spots. I figure Tall Midget for the kind of guy who might throw a few back with Chuck Mertz in there on a Saturday afternoon.

I try to avoid the Heartland at all costs unless one of my hippie former-Evanstonian friends is in town and insists on going there. I'll usually try to steer things to Lucky Platter as the lesser of two evils.

Cary's and Norse are both a couple minutes away from my palatial abode, so they are my first choices for watering holes when I can get out. Chuck Mertz is awesome, as is the guy who owns Cary's. Norse has nothing like the atmosphere at Cary's but it's good for game viewing and has a nice tap selection.

As a rule, I only drink at the Heartland in the afternoon or early evenings--when nobody is around. While I identify with the political ideology of many people who patronize the Heartland, they annoy the crap out of me. Still, I rather rub elbows with them than the aging frat boy crowd at Nevin's or the aging Reagan Youth crowd at Pete Miller's.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:37 am 

They are showing The Muppets tonight outside if anyone wants to meet up tonight.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:23 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
Tall Midget wrote:

Cary's and Norse are both a couple minutes away from my palatial abode, so they are my first choices for watering holes when I can get out. Chuck Mertz is awesome, as is the guy who owns Cary's. Norse has nothing like the atmosphere at Cary's but it's good for game viewing and has a nice tap selection.

As a rule, I only drink at the Heartland in the afternoon or early evenings--when nobody is around. While I identify with the political ideology of many people who patronize the Heartland, they annoy the crap out of me. Still, I rather rub elbows with them than the aging frat boy crowd at Nevin's or the aging Reagan Youth crowd at Pete Miller's.

I consider McKellin's to be my local. That one's a short walk for me. Casey's Corner is another place I like to roll into from time to time.

I only suggested the places in downtown Evanston because they were close the NU campus. They may not be perfect, but at least they exist. Remember, when I was a kid growing up, booze was hard to come by in E-Town. Pretty much the only thing near downtown with a license was Yesterday's. We had to hit up EPD and Tally Ho on Howard Street.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:57 am 
1000 CLUB

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:

I consider McKellin's to be my local. That one's a short walk for me. Casey's Corner is another place I like to roll into from time to time.

I only suggested the places in downtown Evanston because they were close the NU campus. They may not be perfect, but at least they exist. Remember, when I was a kid growing up, booze was hard to come by in E-Town. Pretty much the only thing near downtown with a license was Yesterday's. We had to hit up EPD and Tally Ho on Howard Street.

Oh, I definitely understand that the Evanston places are more convenient to NU. I just find the whole downtown Evanston experience so antiseptic that I had to add my two cents on the matter.

I have only heard stories about Yesterday's and its implicit no carding policy. In my pre-legal drinking days, I frequented places like the now-defunct Lambert's Bowl on Broadway near Devon, the beer garden at Moody's, and the aforementioned Buffalo Bar at the Heartland. In all my years of drinking at those establishments, I have never seen anyone, no matter how obviously underaged, get carded there.