It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:44 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Phone/DSL question
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:46 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Baracco's
I have a land line service and DSL service. The line comes into the house and is "star"-ed out to 12 or 14 jacks throughout the house. There are two phones plugged in (through) DSL filters, one old school wired wall phone and one wireless base with three handsets. There is also an alarm system and a DSL modem on the line. Each of the above items utilizes a different jack.

This morning the phone service went out while DSL was OK. I disconnected all phones, the alarm, the DSL modem, called AT&T. They ran sime tests and said that they would need to come out and that there is a charge for it.

The question for you residents DIYers and pros is if anyone has ever had this happen before, when the DSL is working fine but there is no dialtone? What did you do to fix it? What to check for? Ideas, tips would be appreciated. I really don't feel like having an AT&T guy come out and paying for it unless it's something super tough.

Post subject: Re: Phone/DSL question
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:55 am 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
If you know where your phone box is plug in a phone and see if you get a dial tone.

Unplug everything the phone jacks and power cords, leave it that way for about 10 minutes, and start plugging stuff back in.

The security system has to have a disconnect jack, just like other telephones in the house. Go to the security system utility box. Find it's jack and disconnect it and see if that solves the problem. You might need a DSL filter in line with security phone line too.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:04 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
My Coach Vinny wrote:
I have a land line service and DSL service. The line comes into the house and is "star"-ed out to 12 or 14 jacks throughout the house. There are two phones plugged in (through) DSL filters, one old school wired wall phone and one wireless base with three handsets. There is also an alarm system and a DSL modem on the line. Each of the above items utilizes a different jack.

This morning the phone service went out while DSL was OK. I disconnected all phones, the alarm, the DSL modem, called AT&T. They ran sime tests and said that they would need to come out and that there is a charge for it.

The question for you residents DIYers and pros is if anyone has ever had this happen before, when the DSL is working fine but there is no dialtone? What did you do to fix it? What to check for? Ideas, tips would be appreciated. I really don't feel like having an AT&T guy come out and paying for it unless it's something super tough.

Is the phone serivce working at the DSL connection point? Or is phone service down at all jack locations?

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:11 pm 
1000 CLUB

Thanks, Spaulding. The alarm is hooked up through a special alarm filter. I'm going to visit the box where the line comes in later tonight when I get home.

I still think it's a service issue of some sort, since if there were issues related to the integrity of wiring (broken wire, short, etc.) the DSL would have been down too.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:15 pm 
1000 CLUB

Darkside wrote:
Is the phone serivce working at the DSL connection point? Or is phone service down at all jack locations?

It's down at two phone jack locations, but I haven't checked it at the jack where I hook up the DSL modem at. Dumb, dumb, dumb. Should have thought about it first! Thanks, Darko.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:50 pm 

My Coach Vinny wrote:
Darkside wrote:

It's down at two phone jack locations, but I haven't checked it at the jack where I hook up the DSL modem at. Dumb, dumb, dumb. Should have thought about it first! Thanks, Darko.

This is what I do. Let me know if you've got DT at the DSL point. If so, I can probably fix your problem. i work for beer and weed.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:26 pm 
1000 CLUB

Darkside wrote:
This is what I do.

What do you think about Leviton structured wiring boards? Are they worth the approx. $45? They sell them at the Home Depot and $45 doesn't seem too bad.

The place is wired with Cat5 and I have been thinking about cleaning up the setup. Right now I "split" (14-ways, I think) the line by twisting the stripped ends of the HR with stripped ends off of each jack and wrapping them with electric tape. I know, lame, but it worked OK for years.

Since I might have to take the cover off the hole in the drywall where all this mess is, I thought this would be a good time to set this thing up the way I initially planned but took a shortcut due to time/budget constraints several years ago.

I'm looking to do a 110 block based disctribution board (hate having to invest in a crimper) with alarm interface (Leviton) for the phone. One line off the phone board will feed the DSL modem, which will move, with the router and a new switch, into the same enclosure. I'll then convert select jacks on the walls from voice to data for stuff like Tivo, NAS (not The CSFMB Nas, just a NAS,) media hub, print server.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:28 pm 

My Coach Vinny wrote:
Darkside wrote:
This is what I do.

What do you think about Leviton structured wiring boards? Are they worth the approx. $45? They sell them at the Home Depot and $45 doesn't seem too bad.

The place is wired with Cat5 and I have been thinking about cleaning up the setup. Right now I "split" (14-ways, I think) the line by twisting the stripped ends of the HR with stripped ends off of each jack and wrapping them with electric tape. I know, lame, but it worked OK for years.

Since I might have to take the cover off the hole in the drywall where all this mess is, I thought this would be a good time to set this thing up the way I initially planned but took a shortcut due to time/budget constraints several years ago.

I'm looking to do a 110 block based disctribution board (hate having to invest in a crimper) with alarm interface (Leviton) for the phone. One line off the phone board will feed the DSL modem, which will move, with the router and a new switch, into the same enclosure. I'll then convert select jacks on the walls from voice to data for stuff like Tivo, NAS (not The CSFMB Nas, just a NAS,) media hub, print server.

The Levitan boards are what I use. yeah, they're worth the money. I might have something I can grab for you though, I've got plenty of 110 blocks and C4's and C5 clips. I've also got the tools.
I've got better way's to daisy chain a line like that but WHOLLY SCHNITS man 14 REN's? You TRYING toget sued by your telco provider :lol: :lol:
Tell you what man, maybe I can root around in my stock this week and we can work somethin out. PM me if you're interested...