It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 1:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:05 pm 

My kids have caught the bug to learn to ice skate better. We are looking at eithr Addison Ice Arena or Center Ice of DuPage - has anyone used either place for lessons? Just looking for a review before plopping down the dough.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:05 pm 

I bet shakes would teach them.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:09 pm 

RFDC wrote:

Oh probably - I was shocked at my little guy who is 3.5 - he just went out there like he had done before. Actually had a clue. Want him to learn to actually skate (I don't skate) and then I'll put a stick in his hands, but he'll have to be in a checking league - he's a brusier.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:11 pm 

I see, well you should probably stop giving him any water now just to get him ready.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:14 pm 

RFDC wrote:
I see, well you should probably stop giving him any water now just to get him ready.

He;'s sleeping now - when he wakes up in the morning - I'll remember this.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
I remember someone with young kids saying that they have some type of program at the ice arena next to the Kane County Cougars Ballpark where up until a certain age they teach hockey and provide the equipment for a kids league. They made it sound like it was a great program and damn near free.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:18 pm 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
Hawkeye Vince wrote:
RFDC wrote:

Oh probably - I was shocked at my little guy who is 3.5 - he just went out there like he had done before. Actually had a clue. Want him to learn to actually skate (I don't skate) and then I'll put a stick in his hands, but he'll have to be in a checking league - he's a brusier.

There are learn to skate programs all over. Its never too early to get them started, although 3.5 might be a little young..I'm not sure, I can ask and find out really easily since my team has a program.

When I started out it was common to start with a year of figure skating to learn how to skate before moving to hockey, but nowadays the hockey instruction has advanced to the point where this is a pretty dumb idea. If you think he would like hockey then you should consider looking into the hockey program's learn to skate program at either of those rinks.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:20 pm 

shakes wrote:
Hawkeye Vince wrote:
RFDC wrote:

There are learn to skate programs all over. Its never too early to get them started, although 3.5 might be a little young..I'm not sure, I can ask and find out really easily since my team has a program.

When I started out it was common to start with a year of figure skating to learn how to skate before moving to hockey, but nowadays the hockey instruction has advanced to the point where this is a pretty dumb idea. If you think he would like hockey then you should consider looking into the hockey program's learn to skate program at either of those rinks.

Cool - if you hear about either place, let me know.

Basically the hockey does learn to skate and adds in basick stick handling for 3-5 year olds instead of 'figure skating' at the Glen Ellyn rink. Addison does standard learn to skate.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:08 am 

3.5 is not too young anymore. I started mine at 4.5 and there were lots of 3 year olds in the class. I don't know anything about those two rinks, but most large park districts have classes affiliated with their local rinks, and you can probably rent an equipment package for the season in case you are hesitant on making the big investment.

Their is very little "hockey" involved at all at that age - it's all skating. Mine hasn't even picked up a stick yet.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
Yeah I've seen the learn to skate programs at McFetridge and the hockey part basically consists of a pack of 4 year olds pushing one puck around the ice until the last one standing falls down right in front of the goal. Most of the instruction is geared towards skating, but its nice to put a stick in their hands and at least get them thinking about hockey while they are out there.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Lucano's
shakes wrote:
When I started out it was common to start with a year of figure skating to learn how to skate before moving to hockey, but nowadays the hockey instruction has advanced to the point where this is a pretty dumb idea...

He wants his son to be a hockey player, not a gay.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:28 pm 

Kids are going to Center Ice and liking it. Week 2 and no major injuries.