It is currently Tue Oct 01, 2024 5:42 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:10 pm 

pizza_Place: Il-Forno in Deerfield
So, I'm in the process of trying to change the degree requirements for the psychology major on my campus. I'm meeting some, um, resistance (read: the person who is currently in charge does not want to change because she has been doing everything here the same way since 1982 and it has worked fine). One of the biggest changes I am trying to implement is the supporting course requirements. Supporting courses are courses that psychology majors take in other departments to augment their knowledge base. That is essentially what the survey is about, it should take five minutes and is particularly relevant if your occupation has ever hired anyone with a degree in psychology. The survey is anonymous, and the results are going to be used at a presentation.
If you think your opinion would be helpful, please click the link below. If you have any questions or want the full story, PM me. I would love to tell it here, but I need to wait four or five more months.
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/5KWRST8

Last edited by Psycory on Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:16 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Feedback - not a criticism.

I took the survey but I found it confusing. If I were hiring a Psych student into a business field, I would have totally chosen the Business Option. But, I'm guessing you want a more well-rounded candidate and answered the questions based on what I would think would be most beneficial to the students in that major.

That made the last question difficult to answer since I wasn't answering the first 2-3 questions based on my own personal hiring needs.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:32 pm 

Answer based on what is needed in your field, so if you are in business than what would make the student more attractive in that field.

my belief and shockingly, I'm being told I'm wrong by some people in my department, is that psych students who go into business (marketing, advertising, sales, Industrial/Organization Psychology, HR, etc.) would benefit in taking business courses as undergrad.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:43 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Psycory wrote:
Answer based on what is needed in your field, so if you are in business than what would make the student more attractive in that field.

my belief and shockingly, I'm being told I'm wrong by some people in my department, is that psych students who go into business (marketing, advertising, sales, Industrial/Organization Psychology, HR, etc.) would benefit in taking business courses as undergrad.

Well, I think you are a 100% correct.

But, don't you have to setup the curriculum in a more general sense assuming that not all kids are going to take the degree into the business field?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:44 pm 

That's why we would have other options ("Science option," which would work for Mental health fields). The problem I have with the current degree is that it is too general, we should specialize more and that would make the students more attractive to employers and graduate schools.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:15 pm 

You should change the title. This is more like a two-minute survey, tops.

You may get more responses that way.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:04 am 

Thanks!