It is currently Mon Sep 30, 2024 11:25 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:37 pm 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
Here's a thread for all the golfers here, a place to post the different courses you've played and what you thought of them, how you did, or just to talk about the sport in general. Not the place to discuss Tiger and the pros, but a place to discuss your own game.

Got the ok to begin playing again a couple weeks ago, a little over 3 months since back surgery #7.

Played my first round last week, went to Lost Marsh in Hammond Indiana. http://72.47.208.136/index.php?index

Never been before, was impressed. Links style course, pretty tough layout, well kept up, good price. I think it was like $50-$60 with a cart. Needless to say I struggled quite a bit since it was my first time out. Shot a 102, had a lot of trouble off the tee and everywhere else.

Played again this weekend, went out by myself Saturday to White Pines in Bensenville. Never played it before. Not bad for a municipal course and the price was good for a Saturday, I think it was around $45 with a cart. They paired me up with a nice older couple and I couldn't really complain about my back because the guy had one arm! He was actually really good for having one arm, most of his shots were right down the middle and he sunk about 6 putts outside of 10 feet. His wife wasn't bad either.

Course is a lot easier than Lost Marsh and I shot a lot better. Was great off the tee, probably only had 1 bad drive all day. But, my irons were horrible. Couldn't hit them straight and kept picking the wrong clubs. Finally got it worked out towards the end and started having some better shots. Inside 100 yards I was pretty clueless...gonna take a while for the short game to come back since that's mostly repetition and feel. Putted well and overall ended up with a 92 can't really complain. Was most happy that my back held up the whole round since it was pretty sore after about 12 holes at Lost Marsh.

Got my buddies coming up to Wisconsin from Florida second weekend of August for our annual Kringle Cup tournament. We usually head over to Kohler and play one of those courses, but this year we are gonna check out Erin Hills which is hosting the 2017 US Open. Its walking only with caddies so it will be intereting to see how my back holds up. Here is a link to Erin hills.....http://www.erinhills.com/

What are some good courses in the Chicago area you like to play? I need some good suggestions. I only really know the northern suburbs and those courses up there are way overpriced for the quality of the courses.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:39 pm 

viewtopic.php?f=47&t=70116

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:39 pm 

Good idea for a thread.

What did you not like about the other thread that we have like this one?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:41 pm 

WGN news is going to show the "new" Mistwood course in Romeoville in a few minutes.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:43 pm 

spanky wrote:
Good idea for a thread.

What did you not like about the other thread that we have like this one?

oops, didn't check the genral, figured it belonged in this section since it might include info on golf meetups.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:45 pm 

shakes wrote:
oops, didn't check the genral, figured it belonged in this section since it might include info on golf meetups.

I'd be in for that if it is a Friday or a weekend that I'm not already committed for.
But not in Indiana. Indiana sucks.

I recently beat another (unnamed) board member by 26 strokes at Wedgewood. Again, names have been erased to protect their identity.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:03 pm 

spanky wrote:
WGN news is going to show the "new" Mistwood course in Romeoville in a few minutes.

Watched it, that course looks really nice. Sounds like there are a lot of nice course in the south and southwest suburbs. I used to drive out to Bourbanaiise and play Bon Vivant all the time, loved that course.

I'd be up for a golf meetup if anyone else is. Depends on the location though, I live in Chicago so some of these courses are a tad out of my jurisdiction.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:19 pm 

shakes wrote:
Watched it, that course looks really nice. Sounds like there are a lot of nice course in the south and southwest suburbs.

Yeah, watching that made me want to get out to Mistwood ASAP.

There are several nice courses out in the SW burbs. Aside from Bolingbrook (obviously),

Mistwood has always been nice - a tough course, challenging links-style course.
Carillon is a couple minutes from Mistwood - good course, 27 holes so they can always get you on at pretty much any time. One of the toughest holes I've ever played is #9 on the "white course".
Prairie Bluff is even closer to Mistwood - a good course, legit challenge, but a tad overpriced IMO.
The Joliet PD courses are decent, Woodruff is not great but will make your game feel better with its short layout.
Tamarack in Naperville/Plainfield is tough....borderline unfair in spots with it's water and sloped fairways.
I've never played the Springbrook or Naperbrook courses, but have heard good things but that they are overpriced also.
Big Run is a fun-ass course that is tough with some of it's big hills.
The hidden gem is Sanctuary in New Lenox. Love that course and there are some really good deals there sometimes if you are bargain shopping.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:03 pm 

Cool, I'm gonna have to check some of those out. Got some free time on weekends now that my dog broke his toe and has to stay in for basically the whole summer.

Have you ever played George Dunn? I used to play it a lot a few years back, great course for the price. Its a forest preserve course and you'd swear it was a private course the way its maintained.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:05 pm 

shakes wrote:
Cool, I'm gonna have to check some of those out. Got some free time on weekends now that my dog broke his toe and has to stay in for basically the whole summer.

Have you ever played George Dunn? I used to play it a lot a few years back, great course for the price. Its a forest preserve course and you'd swear it was a private course the way its maintained.

No. But I get the weekly ads and they always list that place with specials. I'd try anyplace really.

Except NW Indiana.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:42 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Dunne Nat'l is an excellent course. Tough, lots of sand, and a few lakes, and a some narrow fairways that can wreak havoc on the scorecard. Definitely worth playing though; http://www.forestpreservegolf.com/Cook- ... cials.html

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:54 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
Shakes, enjoy Erin Hills. I played it before the redesign but it was enjoyable. Just
pick the right tees. They can stretch the course out to almost 8000 yds for the pros
if they need to. Hope your back holds up, lots of up and down topography.

I have played 90% of the public courses and some of the private in Lake County so
if anyone has any questions about any of those tracks I can give my two cents. Since
I have a pass this year I haven't played many other courses than mine. My buddy
plays out of Antioch CC so I have played there twice. It isn't anything special but
relatively cheap and has some interesting holes.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:00 pm 

T-Bone wrote:
Shakes, enjoy Erin Hills. I played it before the redesign but it was enjoyable. Just
pick the right tees. They can stretch the course out to almost 8000 yds for the pros
if they need to. Hope your back holds up, lots of up and down topography.

I have played 90% of the public courses and some of the private in Lake County so
if anyone has any questions about any of those tracks I can give my two cents. Since
I have a pass this year I haven't played many other courses than mine. My buddy
plays out of Antioch CC so I have played there twice. It isn't anything special but
relatively cheap and has some interesting holes.

How would you compare Erin Hills to Whistling Straits? I assume you've played both. When I played Straits it was over 100 degrees and it was so hilly it turned into the baton death march. With my back, it wore me out and made it tough to swing a club. I'm worried I'll have the same issues at Erin.

YOu ever play any of the nice courses around Milwaukee? Like The Bog or Brown Deer? What about Washington County? We're thinking of hitting that one on the way up to Green Lake (our home base) when they arrive on a thursday afternoon. It looks nice and is ranked in the top 20 public courses in Wisco. The other course we play is we do 36 at Lawsonia which is right across the lake from my parent's house.

What courses do you like in Lake County? I play a lot there, but always end up at the crappy muni courses near where I grew up (sportsman, wilmette, glencoe). I'm definitely looking to expand that to some better tracks in the area.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:10 pm 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
anybody played Chevalier Woods?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:34 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
Spanky can kiss my ass :lol: :lol:

Lost Marsh is a fun course but it is tough. White Hawk and Sand Creek are pretty good as well.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:57 pm 

shakes wrote:

How would you compare Erin Hills to Whistling Straits? I assume you've played both. When I played Straits it was over 100 degrees and it was so hilly it turned into the baton death march. With my back, it wore me out and made it tough to swing a club. I'm worried I'll have the same issues at Erin.

YOu ever play any of the nice courses around Milwaukee? Like The Bog or Brown Deer? What about Washington County? We're thinking of hitting that one on the way up to Green Lake (our home base) when they arrive on a thursday afternoon. It looks nice and is ranked in the top 20 public courses in Wisco. The other course we play is we do 36 at Lawsonia which is right across the lake from my parent's house.

What courses do you like in Lake County? I play a lot there, but always end up at the crappy muni courses near where I grew up (sportsman, wilmette, glencoe). I'm definitely looking to expand that to some better tracks in the area.

Erin Hills and Whistling Straits are reallly nothing alike. Erin Hills is more of a straight up regular course as
opposed to trying to make it seem like you are overseas. Just make sure you stretch good before going out.
There aren't as many extreme hills like at Whistling Straits but there is more up and down consistiently. I think
you will like Erin Hills just fine as long as your back holds up.

I used to live in Milwaukee and have played some
of the courses around there although I wouldn't say many of them were nice as I just got out of college and wasn't
making much money. Milwaukee has a couple of nice courses in their public system but they usually get beat up.
I have played Washington County but it has been probably 10 years. I am supposed to play up there with Hawg Ass
sometime later this year. From all I have heard it has held up nice. You'll see a place on the left hand side a few
miles from the entrance to Erin Hills called Kettle Hills which isn't too bad for an everyday play course. They have
2 eighteen hole tracks that have a lot of character. I really can't give you too much more advice on good courses in Milwaukee that I have personally played. I have a buddy who is a member at Tuckaway which is really nice. They
used to play the old Greater Milwaukee Open there back in the day.

When I was married we used to camp at the campground right across from Lawsonia. I never brought my clubs
along to go over there and play. Wish I would have now since I don't really have a reason to head up that way
anymore. It looked great, my buddy played it about a month ago for a tournament and was really impressed.
That is a neat little town.

Lake County has an awful lot of courses to choose from, it all comes down to what you want to pay. The Glen
Club is really nice but very expensive ( not in Lake Co. but in the north burbs ). I will give you a few of my favorites....

Bonnie Brook ( Waukegan ) -- an old school design that is taken care of very well and is just a fun course to play.
Reasonably priced. Only bad thing is they don't really have a range to warm up.

Pine Meadow ( Mundelein ) -- great course and usually in excellent shape. Huge greeens and wide fairways make
it very enjoyable to play and they have hands down the best range and practice facility I have ever seen. Close to $100 for a round with cart

Steeple Chase ( Mundelein ) -- Real nice layout with challenging greens and quite a few elevation changes. Relatively wide open layout. Not sure about price but under $70 with cart I think.

Lake Bluff ( Lake Bluff) -- Believe they play the county open here. Nice little course with a nice layout. I haven't played there in a long time but I am sure it is reasonably priced.

Countryside Prairie Course ( Mundelein ) -- A nice park district course they built less than 20 years ago. It has grown up to be a nice track and is pretty wide open so more fun to play if you spray the ball a little bit. Played here with Frank some time ago and I think he liked it alright. Very reasonable price wise.

Thunderhawk ( Beach Park ) -- Really nice course that is less than 20 years old. A couple of holes that don't fit but it is a fun course to play and always in really good condition. A bit on the spendy side for a county course.

Sorry if I got a bit long winded there but those are some of my personal favorites. Top recommendation would be
Pine Meadow for fun factor and playablility.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:49 pm 

thanks T-bone, good info. Gotta make a decision on Erin Hills. I might give it a try. read an interview with Joe Buck of all people this weekend, he has had 2 back surgeries and he said that he finds walking easier than riding because of the bumpy cart paths. That makes sense to me because just sitting in the cart while playing starts to hurt my back. So I'm interested in trying a round with walking and a caddie to see if that feels better.

Thanks for the write up on Lake County courses. I haven't played the Glen out of principal since its at least $50 overpriced. But, I practice there and take lessons there from Emil Esposito. Gonna go back this week for a tuneup lesson.

I used to play Countryside all the time when it first opened up, thanks for reminding me about it, gonna go back and play it again.

I've always wanted to try Pine Meadow and Thunderhawk, might do that this month.

YOu should definitely get out to Green Lake and play Lawsonia. The town is great and the course alone is worth a weekend trip. 36 holes, 18 links style and then 18 cut out of the woods where you don't see another hole from any you are playing. Another nice course, Mascoutin, is right down the street in Berlin. They have 27 holes, but only the newest nine really stand out. The other 18 are nice, but not as cool as the new 9. Between those two its definitely worth a weekend trip. Or you can get really adventurous and keep going up to Stevens Point and play Sentry World.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:08 pm 

I'd give Erin Hills a shot. As long as you aren't carrying your bag you should enjoy it.
I am sure I'll get to Lawsonia sometime, maybe Hawg and I can road trip it up there
for a one day thing. I definitely want to try it. We would go camping in Green Lake
every 4th and watch the fireworks in the park right downtown. Very small towny
which we really enjoyed. As for Mascoutin, I played there as a youth when I played
tournaments all over the state of Wisconsin. Tuscumbia right there in Green Lake
doesn't look too bad. Pretty sure I played that as a young T-Bone as well. It is
actually the oldest course in Wisconsin and looked to be in nice shape a few years
ago when I was up there last. I have played Sentry World but it has been 20 years
I bet. The flower hole is incredible. Well, enjoy those courses you were thinking of
trying, they'd be worth the trip. If you are ever looking for someone to play golf
with feel free to PM me.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:14 pm 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
My favorite public golf course is Cantigny in Winfield. I love lakeside & woodside. Not a fan of links style so I pass on hillside. Someday I'll take the game up again. I need to dust off the King Cobras & hit the driving range.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:31 pm 

Just got invited to play in tomorrow's NFLPA golf outing at Bollingbrook. Its a scramble where every 4some gets paired up with a retired NFL player. I've got my fingers crossed that we get Ryan Leaf!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:34 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
I'm playing The Glen for the first time this weekend. Any tips?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:48 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
Scorehead wrote:
My favorite public golf course is Cantigny in Winfield. I love lakeside & woodside. Not a fan of links style so I pass on hillside. Someday I'll take the game up again. I need to dust off the King Cobras & hit the driving range.

Cantigny is in Wheaton.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Tony Weed's
1039 Oliver Ave, Aurora
(630) 892-2772
Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:

Don't talk about the board during your round.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:59 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Homemade 2. Jewels
T-Bone wrote:
I'd give Erin Hills a shot. As long as you aren't carrying your bag you should enjoy it.
I am sure I'll get to Lawsonia sometime, maybe Hawg and I can road trip it up there
for a one day thing. I definitely want to try it. We would go camping in Green Lake
every 4th and watch the fireworks in the park right downtown. Very small towny
which we really enjoyed. As for Mascoutin, I played there as a youth when I played
tournaments all over the state of Wisconsin. Tuscumbia right there in Green Lake
doesn't look too bad. Pretty sure I played that as a young T-Bone as well. It is
actually the oldest course in Wisconsin and looked to be in nice shape a few years
ago when I was up there last. I have played Sentry World but it has been 20 years
I bet. The flower hole is incredible. Well, enjoy those courses you were thinking of
trying, they'd be worth the trip. If you are ever looking for someone to play golf
with feel free to PM me.

I have played most of those Wisconsin courses. Lawsonia Woodlands is probably my favorite (they also have a second course - The Links). Another good one you didn't mention is Lake Arrowhead, in Nekoosa; Actually they have two -- The Lakes and the Pines. I am partial to the Lakes course. There are some gorgeous holes.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:09 pm 
I've played both Countyside courses and liked the Prairie better. Thunderhawk is a fun one in great condition. For city courses, it was many many ears back but the Highland Park publi course was beautiful. They also have turned Old Orchard CC into a public course.

Right now the only course up that far where the greens and fairways are actually green is Thunderhawk or the private clubs. The rest even with the watering are going brown.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:39 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
donspiracy wrote:

Don't talk about the board during your round.

:lol: My friend spmack told me that too. You know spmack.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:27 am 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
Chus wrote:
Scorehead wrote:

Cantigny is in Wheaton.

Pardon me. Its on Winfield road.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:15 am 

I am assuming you are referring to The Glen Club? If so, here is what I can tell you. If you have never
played before check out their website. They have a decent hole by hole break down which gives you
some tips on how to play the hole. The greens are some of the toughest I have played on, very undulating
and fast when I played there. If you have a chip or pitch do whatever you can to stay below the hole. You'd
be better off 25 ft away and uphill than 10 feet and downhill. Holes to watch out for I would say just do your
best to hit the greens on the par 3's they are well bunkered and difficult. Also there is a par 4 that has a
ridiculous bowl green on it that I found unfair but can't figure out which hole it was maybe 8 or 10. I only
played there once, I don't remember the rough being too penal. There is some water out there but usually
they give you enough room to steer away from it. A couple of risk reward holes that you really need to be
confident on if you are going to go for it. A very tough test of golf, especially around the greens. I'd be
curious to get your take on it after you play.

Edit -- I know buryman used to caddy out there but I don't think he checks the board anymore.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:51 am 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
Scorehead wrote:
Chus wrote:
Scorehead wrote:

Cantigny is in Wheaton.

Pardon me. Its on Winfield road.

It's on Mack Rd.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:14 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
:lol: :lol:

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.