It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2024 12:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Appointment anything?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2024 11:17 am 

pizza_Place: Lino's
There would have been a day where a changing of the guard at WSCR would have been of great interest, still mourn the death of the HFC, but honestly had no idea Parkins was leaving until it popped up on one of the odd FB news hits they give you by harvesting our internet searches and then blasting you with ads/stories they think would be of interest to you. It reinforced the fact that there is almost nothing that falls under Uncle Terry's old "appointment radio" umbrella.

In fact, it has devolved into a clinical search for small nuggets of potentially interesting content, taking the digital scalpel to podcasts and YouTube, slicing away the pointless show intro and exit grab assing (I know you missed the Claw) and just getting the few minutes of game/practice news that is relevant to a teams performance.

This ability makes nearly all modern sports talk, radio and TV, digital flyover country.

The days of Uncle Terry, Mac, or Pappy goofing around and having fun on local sports talk radio are long gone and the propensity of the Syracuse grad national sports talk focus on local sports talk and play by play has removed the local crackpot guys that understand that sports are the sandbox of life.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2024 11:20 am 

pizza_Place: Pequods
There's plenty of fun sports talk around (even local). It's just all on podcasts and certainly not under any legacy media company.

I'm honestly surprised local sports talk has hung around on radio as much as it has considering the fact that no one listens to terrestrial airwaves anymore. All of those "share" numbers are meaningless when everyone is streaming Spotify at work or in the car. If radio were removed from new cars, no one would notice a difference with Android and Apple syncing directly to your car the minute you turn it on.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2024 11:27 am 

pizza_Place: What??
Parkins went out curing cancer. It was a 4 day after school special. They might build a statue in the lobby.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2024 11:29 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
Claw is back!

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

Mind you own damn business! -VP Walz

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2024 11:36 am 

pizza_Place: world famous
Clawmaster wrote:
The days of Uncle Terry, Mac, or Pappy goofing around and having fun on local sports talk radio are long gone and the propensity of the Syracuse grad national sports talk focus on local sports talk and play by play has removed the local crackpot guys that understand that sports are the sandbox of life.

I understand your overall point, but to be fair Parkins did plenty of goofing around and having fun on the air.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2024 11:44 am 

What if they put Jelly Roll on the afternoon shift?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2024 11:44 am 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
Yeah, Parkins was the least serious guy on the station. The QB1 party was dumb and fun.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2024 11:55 am 

Franky T wrote:
Clawmaster wrote:

I understand your overall point, but to be fair Parkins did plenty of goofing around and having fun on the air.

Yep, am with you Franky. I miss the days of the SCORE where it was Terry Mac and North Jiggetts screwing around having a lot of fun while talking sports.

But Parkins did more than anyone in recent years to bring some of that back to the station. I grew to really enjoy the afternoon show. Parkins helped meatpants evolve into a pretty good listen.

This all just shows again how fickle fans and people are. They will complain they do not want serious radio and then also complain about things like the QB1 party. You can't have it both ways.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2024 12:22 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Right Ralph. Parkins and Spiegs was much lighter than B and H.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2024 1:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
Yeah, Parkins at least understood that listeners would rather laugh to absurd thoughts than sit through a lecture or a numbing dissection of a player’s WAR.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2024 7:08 pm 

pizza_Place: Gem City
Nas wrote:
Claw is back!

Along with Hawaii You. Hmmm.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2024 7:52 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Parkins was very easy going and fun. It became a solid show. I wished he liked baseball more, but alas, few young people do.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2024 9:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
Yeah, I thought Parkins was solid. WSCR has problems, but they weren't really because of him.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2024 9:10 am 

Guess it gets back to the death of personality driven radio in general.

Always thought that Parkins was better suited to a national program, but he's a Syracuse guy and they all sound exactly the same and have the exact same approach to sports talk radio, not surprising as they all have the same instructors/peer group.

It does seem the only real appointment content is live sports, you see that reflected in the NFL's ratings.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2024 9:31 am 

Franky T wrote:
Clawmaster wrote:

With himself and Spiegs. Parkins didn't take many calls and had no talent for making them entertaining when he did.

He's just another cookie cutter media radio host who is better at being a cookie cutter media host, then the other cookie cutter media hosts.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2024 9:33 am 

denisdman wrote:
Parkins was very easy going and fun. It became a solid show. I wished he liked baseball more, but alas, few young people do.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2024 9:48 am 

pizza_Place: world famous
Juiced wrote:
Franky T wrote:
Clawmaster wrote:

With himself and Spiegs. Parkins didn't take many calls and had no talent for making them entertaining when he did.

He's just another cookie cutter media radio host who is better at being a cookie cutter media host, then the other cookie cutter media hosts.

That wasn't the point.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2024 2:19 pm 

pizza_Place: What??
denisdman wrote:

Young people also don't say 'alas'. So that's proof that they're correct.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2024 8:33 pm 

The AM radio sports talk concept has devolved somewhat from the oddly local and unique personality driven content you got early on to a more sanitized and repetitive product that lacks engagement and does nothing to differentiate itself from the dozens of local dudes doing podcasts from their homes.

Local pre/post and play by play are the only opportunities for appointment radio they have left.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2024 9:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Nas wrote:
Claw is back!

Along with Hawaii You. Hmmm.

Since PittMike stop jrunk-posting on weekends, Clawmaster's Saturday morning trawling thought-dumps on the Mount Rushmore of must-reads, along with Whistler late-night prurient poll posts (RIP), JORR going off on an extended rant or story about anything other than Trump or Covid, and CH's parodying Biden/Kamala/et al.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2024 6:06 am 

Have to say that Jelly Roll has jumped the shark.

Now that may be hard to believe given that he is likely four spins, but when you are doing the music for college football shows you are now Kardashian level and cease to be interesting.

This will likely be a sad time for many of the posters who continued to opine about him during my sabbatical, but the Claw will find the next big thing for you soon.