It is currently Mon Sep 23, 2024 10:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5683 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72 ... 190  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:44 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
Terry's Peeps wrote:
Your new attitude has consequences.

:lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
leashyourkids wrote:
My 3 YO daughter told another kid at day care she was going to kill her.

SomeGuy would have been so proud, though.

Team Cocaine FTW

In all seriousness, kids are hilarious. There’s one in my daughter’s 3yo class that is pushing 4, and like a whole head above the other kids. He tries to boss my daughter around and she literally ignores his existence, which pisses this kid off to no end. I saw it for myself today. This kid was losing his shit on the playground because my kid just went around him while he yelled at her. She’s going to make a terrific ex-wife for some idiot someday.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:33 pm 

sjboyd0137 wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
My 3 YO daughter told another kid at day care she was going to kill her.

SomeGuy would have been so proud, though.

Team Cocaine FTW

In all seriousness, kids are hilarious. There’s one in my daughter’s 3yo class that is pushing 4, and like a whole head above the other kids. He tries to boss my daughter around and she literally ignores his existence, which pisses this kid off to no end. I saw it for myself today. This kid was losing his shit on the playground because my kid just went around him while he yelled at her. She’s going to make a terrific ex-wife for some idiot someday.

:lol:

She is learning great life skills at a young age.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:52 am 

pizza_Place: Grazianos
hnd wrote:
over the years of going to kid's baseball games, this seems to be more and more an occurrence. a few weeks back i watched a coach in pool play call out another team for skipping a hitter because the hitter was sick and they'd left. apparently in league and pool play this is pretty much the typical thing everyone lets slide, but they called the commish over and he was like if they want to enforce the rule i guess they can. it was the 3rd out, game over, they win. We just got in on the last part of that whole ordeal because they weren't the teams we came to watch.

a few hours later, we are playing that team in the losers bracket. last inning they have a runner on 2nd. 2 outs. they are down 1. our coach realizes that the guy on 2nd base is the kid that got subbed out for the kid who hit. so he is like hold on there is no re-entry or some crap i wasn't paying attention. the guy is like the hitter tweaked his ankle, comeon...just let them play, i then shout from my chair "A FEW HOURS AGO YOU ENDED A GAME BECAUSE THEY SKIPPED A BATTER, GAME OVER LETS GO" and he turns and tells me to shut my fucking mouth and i burst into laughter. of course the ump and commish are now getting screamed at as my buddy who's coaching has all the kids walk off the field and line up to shake hands with the other kids. all the while this guy is going ballistic while i'm laughing obnoxiously fending off the elbows and slaps from my wife.

afterwards my buddy was like, any other guy/team, i'd be like no problem keep playing but that asshole does this shit all the time.

I hate little league. Too many stupid rules. Some of the rules were maybe well intentioned as in everyone must get an AB and play defensively in the game but it really is not real baseball. Its a giant pain in the ass in the bookkeeping involved for the coach. Maybe instead of pretending this is baseball and following actual baseball rules, make the game totally participative. Let all kids be put in the line-up and bat through the line-up. You can still keep score and all and play the game but forget these idiotic substitution rules. I don't know how many kids currently are on a little league team but just have the coach sub out defensively through the game.

Oh, he might have went on livin'
But he made one fatal slip
When he tried to match the Ranger
With the big iron on his hip

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:41 am 

The Hawk wrote:
hnd wrote:
over the years of going to kid's baseball games, this seems to be more and more an occurrence. a few weeks back i watched a coach in pool play call out another team for skipping a hitter because the hitter was sick and they'd left. apparently in league and pool play this is pretty much the typical thing everyone lets slide, but they called the commish over and he was like if they want to enforce the rule i guess they can. it was the 3rd out, game over, they win. We just got in on the last part of that whole ordeal because they weren't the teams we came to watch.

a few hours later, we are playing that team in the losers bracket. last inning they have a runner on 2nd. 2 outs. they are down 1. our coach realizes that the guy on 2nd base is the kid that got subbed out for the kid who hit. so he is like hold on there is no re-entry or some crap i wasn't paying attention. the guy is like the hitter tweaked his ankle, comeon...just let them play, i then shout from my chair "A FEW HOURS AGO YOU ENDED A GAME BECAUSE THEY SKIPPED A BATTER, GAME OVER LETS GO" and he turns and tells me to shut my fucking mouth and i burst into laughter. of course the ump and commish are now getting screamed at as my buddy who's coaching has all the kids walk off the field and line up to shake hands with the other kids. all the while this guy is going ballistic while i'm laughing obnoxiously fending off the elbows and slaps from my wife.

afterwards my buddy was like, any other guy/team, i'd be like no problem keep playing but that asshole does this shit all the time.

You are hoping to make the kids learn and love the game by playing less in their formative years? That's a novel approach.

Last edited by good dolphin on Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:49 am 

pizza_Place: John's
The problem with youth baseball and softball is we baby them with "T-ball", "coach-pitch", 'No strikeout rules" for so long and then when they hit 10-11 and have to play Mustang or advanced levels they are fucking lost. Hitters struggle to make contact and good luck getting a pitchers than can throw consistent strikes.

As soon as a kid can swing a bat, they should be hitting a a live ball, Tee- for instruction mechanics at practice only. Do you think those 6 year old dominican kids are hitting off a tee? Fuck no.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:58 am 

Caller Bob wrote:
The problem with youth baseball and softball is we baby them with "T-ball", "coach-pitch", 'No strikeout rules" for so long and then when they hit 10-11 and have to play Mustang or advanced levels they are fucking lost. Hitters struggle to make contact and good luck getting a pitchers than can throw consistent strikes.

As soon as a kid can swing a bat, they should be hitting a a live ball, Tee- for instruction mechanics at practice only. Do you think those 6 year old dominican kids are hitting off a tee? Fuck no.

Do you have a kid in little league?

t ball at 5, coach pitch at 6 and kid pitch at 7 seems like a very reasonable progression

Nobody seems lost at 10-11 in my experience. The kids who are good are much more advanced than even the average, but the average kids are holding their own and having fun in non travel leagues. I'd say the only real problem is base stealing as you want runners to learn how steal but there are almost no pitcher-catcher combinations at the 10-11 year old level who can consistently prevent the theft. Catchers and pitchers do start to catch up at a little older age.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:02 am 

good dolphin wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:

t ball at 5, coach pitch at 6 and kid pitch at 7 seems like a very reasonable progression

Nobody seems lost at 10-11 in my experience. The kids who are good are much more advanced than even the average, but the average kids are holding their own and having fun in non travel leagues. I'd say the only real problem is base stealing as you want runners to learn how steal but there are almost no pitcher-catcher combinations at the 10-11 year old level who can consistently prevent the theft. Catchers and pitchers do start to catch up at a little older age.

Yes 2. The Leagues by me (8/9 year olds) are still a mix of coach pitch/kid pitch. So that's probably our problem. And softball for that age they have such a dumb rule...kids gets 4 pitches, then coach gets 4 pitches, but they get 8 pitches max, and they only strike out if they use up all 8 pitches. Nothing is learned. The girls ignore the kid pitch and wait for the coaches who(understandably-its the coach of the batting team) pitch to have the "ball hit the bat". They don't learn how to hit a pitcher that is trying to get you out. And the pitchers are not rewarded if they do pitch good.

My daughter is pretty good, only 6 but playing with girls 8-9 years old. I need to get her in another league.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:08 am 

My nephew played in a 10-11 league this year and I went to a couple of his games. These fucking scores are like football games, and some of the rules they are playing are ridiculous for this age. One example, they are playing drop third strike rule which is completely insane for this level. More than half of the pitches are going to the backstop, so guys are constantly reaching base via a drop third strike. I even witnessed a home run on a drop third strike. When I was younger, we didn't have those rules until 13/14 year old leagues, where the pitcher/catcher battery was much more reliable. If I were a coach in my nephew's league, I would just play with 2 outfielders, and position one of my guys directly behind the catcher just to make plays on a drop third strike situation.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:10 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Most leagues nowadays are only coach pitch when the batter reaches ball 4. Instead of a walk, the coach then pitches until the batter puts a ball in play or strikes out. This way there is actual game action instead of a walk-a-thon game that lasts almost 3 hours.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:13 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Most leagues nowadays are only coach pitch when the batter reaches ball 4. Instead of a walk, the coach then pitches until the batter puts a ball in play or strikes out. This way there is actual game action instead of a walk-a-thon game that lasts almost 3 hours.

That's for sure better. But as a coach, your goal is to serve up the perfect meatball to your player so they can make contact. It's human nature, you don't want to strike your own kid out, but in reality you probably need to be throwing faster and getting them ready for the next level of pitching.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:15 pm 

Im not too keen on T ball as far as teaching them to hit, but its good for getting them used to the general rules of the game. They should at least try live pitching and then bring out the tee after 3 strikes or whatever for kids who need it.

Then ages 7-10 the goal should be for balls to be put in play because that is where development happens. The pitcher threw a strike, the batter hit the ball and is running and the fielder is fielding. Walks are the absolute worst and biggest waste of time at that age. And if you have a kid striking everyone out, while no fault of the kids own, its not really developing anyone.

Every year our league threatens to get rid of playoffs because teams take it too seriously.

If it ever came to a vote, Id probably be in favor of getting rid of playoffs in 8u. It should all be development at that age. Moving around positions, changing the batting order. (by end of season if you go with same order, your top 3-4 will get 30 more AB's than the bottom 3-4 which is backwards since the botttom ones need the work)

Lastly, if you are a parent, let your kid play. Don't talk them thru at bats and dont yell out after every pitch if they're on the mound. They can handle it, and you're just making them more nervous. A quick "lay off the high ones" or "make sure you dont roll over" while they're on deck is fine ,but after that, just chill back.

Oh and dont be the asshole who only cheers for their kid. You stick out like a sore thumb.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:48 pm 

pizza_Place: Pasaro's, St. Joe, MI.
We used the machine to pitch to instructional league age, three misses and they hit off the tee. More consistent than coach or kid pitch at that age. Each team bats all players once per inning, no true score kept, but the kids know.

When my oldest was 10, he moved up to LL, and faced four opposing pitchers bigger than I am. One 12yo was 6'3" and about 210lbs. All four could have pitched high school at 12. My son ended up being one of those sized kids two years later, so it was nice to see him get both ends of that spectrum. I taught my younger son, on the tiny size, to throw a curve to those big kids, just enough to f them up but good. I am a dick.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:35 am 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
Douchebag wrote:
My nephew played in a 10-11 league this year and I went to a couple of his games. These fucking scores are like football games, and some of the rules they are playing are ridiculous for this age. One example, they are playing drop third strike rule which is completely insane for this level. More than half of the pitches are going to the backstop, so guys are constantly reaching base via a drop third strike. I even witnessed a home run on a drop third strike. When I was younger, we didn't have those rules until 13/14 year old leagues, where the pitcher/catcher battery was much more reliable. If I were a coach in my nephew's league, I would just play with 2 outfielders, and position one of my guys directly behind the catcher just to make plays on a drop third strike situation.

Just to be technical about it, baseball rules say that only the designated catcher can position himself in foul territory before the pitch is thrown so that wouldn't quite work. Still, as you say, a dumb rule.

I think the only 'rule' we had was a 10-run limit, maybe 7 ... whichever. Otherwise, there were no coaches pitching, there was no tee, none of that crap. Wanna steal? Go ahead.

Do people keep a scorebook anymore? I mean, each team's coach had to make a proper game card, turn it in, all that. It was pretty great. I'm gonna go take a leak now.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:06 am 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
I’m not sure we had dropped third strike until 7th/8th grade. Was also year lead offs and stealing was made legal. There was a 5 run inning limit for the younger kids, not sure about older as it’s been damn near 30 years. No limit in last inning. Also a 10 run slaughter rule.

I think they did ump pitch for 3rd and 4th grade. Maybe 5th too as I think they had overlap for minor and major. I remember drilling the ump pitcher twice after 4th grade. Of course, we were wood bats up through that league too.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:35 am 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
Our town does Cal Ripken instead of LL. T-ball in Kindergarten, machine pitch in 1st grade, either coach pitch or kid pitch in 2nd grade based on tryouts. After that it’s kid pitch. In C minor (lowest level of kid pitch) You can walk the bases loaded but if you walk the 4th guy it goes to coach pitch so that you don’t just spend an inning walking in runs.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:11 am 

MLB players still refine their swings on the t. There is value in t ball

Regarding the dropped third, it sucks to watch the year it is implemented but these kids really do get better with trial by fire (at least the one's who care and have an adult in the home who will reinforce game lessons).

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:13 am 

Don Tiny wrote:
Douchebag wrote:

Just to be technical about it, baseball rules say that only the designated catcher can position himself in foul territory before the pitch is thrown so that wouldn't quite work.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:21 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
good dolphin wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:

Caller Bob is correct. The coaches should start throwing at their heads as hard as they can when the kids are three years old. Teach these pussies how to play the game the right way.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:23 am 

good dolphin wrote:
MLB players still refine their swings on the t. There is value in t ball

Tees are valuable, we still use them in 12U but I dont think its a great way to start out hitting.

good dolphin wrote:
Regarding the dropped third, it sucks to watch the year it is implemented but these kids really do get better with trial by fire (at least the one's who care and have an adult in the home who will reinforce game lessons).

Agreed. By the end of this year (our first with dropped third) we were converting all of the outs.

We start drop third in 12U, which I think is appropriate.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:41 am 

pizza_Place: pizza and subs
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:

Caller Bob is correct. The coaches should start throwing at their heads as hard as they can when the kids are three years old. Teach these pussies how to play the game the right way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDZPN0mjaAA

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:43 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:

I am notorious for hitting kids in bp but until someone else steps up, I'm all they got

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:45 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:

One year, my Little League team had the town drunk as a coach. He would bring a cooler full of beer to practices and games (those were better times). One time he got mad at his kid who was on the team for stepping back when people pitched, so he tied a chain around his kid's foot and staked it to the ground while he pitched to him.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:45 am 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
Douchebag wrote:
Don Tiny wrote:
Douchebag wrote:

Just to be technical about it, baseball rules say that only the designated catcher can position himself in foul territory before the pitch is thrown so that wouldn't quite work.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:47 am 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
leashyourkids wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:

One year, my Little League team had the town drunk as a coach. He would bring a cooler full of beer to practices and games (those were better times). One time he got mad at his kid who was on the team for stepping back when people pitched, so he tied a chain around his kid's foot and staked it to the ground while he pitched to him.

Explains your moniker.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:49 am 

Don Tiny wrote:
Douchebag wrote:
Don Tiny wrote:
Douchebag wrote:

:lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:56 am 

pizza_Place: Grazianos
Terry's Peeps wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:

Explains your moniker.

And silly me, I thought Walter Matthau was dead:)

Oh, he might have went on livin'
But he made one fatal slip
When he tried to match the Ranger
With the big iron on his hip

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:57 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
Moving is a pain in the ass. I hope to avoid doing that again any time soon.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:10 am 

(Don't) move.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
Found out this morning that a woman that works in our office, and that I work with occasionally, had her son killed last night by a hit and
run driver. Person went the wrong way on a divided 4 lane highway and hit the 19 year old young man on his motorcycle, then drove off.
The woman is one of the sweetest people that works in the building and it was her only child. Just sad stuff. :(

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5683 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72 ... 190  Next