It is currently Mon Oct 07, 2024 5:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:40 am 

Old Man River wrote:
I do miss the record store though. Had 2 right across the street from each other at NIU. It was a great bargaining tool when negotiating prices for buying and selling used CDs. Sadly, I think both of them folded.

I know one of them went under, but I am pretty sure Record Rev is still going strong. I haven't been there in about a year, so that may have changed recently, not sure.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:43 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
Vintage Vinyl in Evanston!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:47 am 

pizza_Place: I'm a Gelsosomo's guy.
doug - evergreen park wrote:
Vintage Vinyl in Evanston!

Know all I can see in my head is Ducky dancing around the store lip synching in "Pretty in Pink". I am channeling Shark again.

A vintage record store is a great idea. I went to a place called Video Palace last weekend and they had old school Nintendo and Nintendo games. They had Duck Hunt and the gun for Duck Hunt. This weekend I am making it my mission to go and buy the old school Nintendo game and Duck Hunt. Then I am going to the record store and buy some old school shit.

Charlie: Oh shit. Look at that door dude. See that door right there? That door marked 'Pirate'? You think a pirate lives in there?
Dennis: I see a door marked 'Private.'

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:51 am 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
got a second hand store out here that also sells old videogame systems. Can't beat NES and SNES for good times...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:54 am 

pizza_Place: nowhere
Old Man River wrote:
In pains me to say this, but in this economy, sometimes amazon or wally world is the way to go. I do miss the record store though. Had 2 right across the street from each other at NIU. It was a great bargaining tool when negotiating prices for buying and selling used CDs. Sadly, I think both of them folded. I need to check out more record stores in the city. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd gladly take them.

Maybe we should all pool together some cash and start up our own record store. Call it Championship Vinyl.

Theres a few in Lincoln Park. Gramaphone and the one by The Weiner's Circle come to mind

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:54 am 

City of Fools wrote:
one of them is still around, but barely hanging on...

Downtown Discs or Record Rev?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:55 am 

DegenerateDave wrote:
This weekend I am making it my mission to go and buy the old school Nintendo game and Duck Hunt. Then I am going to the record store and buy some old school shit.

Here's a little tip for you...If you are playing Duck Hunt, it will not work on new flat panel LCD/Plasma tv's because of the flat screen. Something dealing with the light not reflecting properly on the screen. A friend of mine just bought like 3 Nintendo guns because he thought they were broken and then found out the bad news.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:57 am 

spanky wrote:
City of Fools wrote:
one of them is still around, but barely hanging on...

Downtown Discs or Record Rev?

Downtown Discs went under around 2003 or 2004 when I was a student out there. Record Rev still exists.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:57 am 

Douchebag wrote:
DegenerateDave wrote:
This weekend I am making it my mission to go and buy the old school Nintendo game and Duck Hunt. Then I am going to the record store and buy some old school shit.

Here's a little tip for you...If you are playing Duck Hunt, it will not work on new flat panel LCD/Plasma tv's because of the flat screen. Something dealing with the light not reflecting properly on the screen. A friend of mine just bought like 3 Nintendo guns because he thought they were broken and then found out the bad news.

damnit. That sucks. I do have a smaller console in the basement though that I can use. Thanks for the heads up. I can't wait to play some of the old school NES and SNES games.

Charlie: Oh shit. Look at that door dude. See that door right there? That door marked 'Pirate'? You think a pirate lives in there?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
DegenerateDave wrote:
I am reliving my 80's now and I need to get Debarge Greatest Hits and some REO Speedwagon.

You're much older than I thought you were.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:32 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 6 characters
I wouldn't be surprised if Best Buy went under eventually, or if it turned into a completely online store like Amazon or something. The need for most of the merchandise in the stores will all be replaced by digital versions soon enough. I think we as a society are becoming too smart for our own benefit, and many people are going to start losing their jobs before too long due to a new type of industrial revolution.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:17 pm 

pizza_Place: The Bowling alley, where else?
You know at one point Best Buy was the eveil empire putting mom and pop record stores out of the business. Not the eater has become the eaten. It is the nature of the beast. It is not Wal-Marts fault that they have a better business model.

another classic movie setting around a vinyl record store is High Fidelity. A Classic movie.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:22 pm 

Big Ern wrote:
You know at one point Best Buy was the eveil empire putting mom and pop record stores out of the business. Not the eater has become the eaten. It is the nature of the beast. It is not Wal-Marts fault that they have a better business model.

another classic movie setting around a vinyl record store is High Fidelity. A Classic movie.

Good point. But Walmart has gone above and beyond what Best Buy did to their competition. Walmart flat out eliminated all middle men and the ability to negotiate a fair price between wholesayer and buyers. They cost a lot of people jobs and eventually just destroyed the competition. While we all benefit from the low prices, I have to wonder if we don't pay for it by having less competition and less alternatives.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:44 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 6 characters
DegenerateDave wrote:
Big Ern wrote:

Good point. But Walmart has gone above and beyond what Best Buy did to their competition. Walmart flat out eliminated all middle men and the ability to negotiate a fair price between wholesayer and buyers. They cost a lot of people jobs and eventually just destroyed the competition. While we all benefit from the low prices, I have to wonder if we don't pay for it by having less competition and less alternatives.

Wal-Mart is essentially a legal monopoly.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:45 pm 

pizza_Place: The one I make every friday night
for music i will make it a point to go to rolling stones as they usually have what i like.....rare ocassion i will go to best buy for it. I remember a few years back when a new artist would release a cd some times target, circus city, and best buy would have a limited edition of the cd that only they sell or would have very competitive pricing...now they are just way to over priced and harldy have competitive pricing.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Milano's
I go to Peaches for all my music

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:52 pm 

Wal-Mart never has any music I would consider buying. Most of the time neither does Best Buy. Rolling Stones is nice, but very much out of my way. I shop alot of Used Music/Movie/Game places and get tons of great deals and they usually staffed by people who know stuff about the product they are selling.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:54 pm 

crows nest was good too. I used to pick up some good stuff there, and the selection was great.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:55 pm 

Wal-Mart's ability to drive down wages within and with companies they work with is another reason for the eroding middle class.

The worst part is that they pay so poorly that the workers only choice is to then shop at Wal-Mart to save 17 cents on that 9 dollar t-shirt and the cycle continues.

If there was ever a case for a union being needed now it would be at Wal-Mart. Too bad that will never happen.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:56 pm 

Douchebag wrote:
Wal-Mart never has any music I would consider buying. Most of the time neither does Best Buy. Rolling Stones is nice, but very much out of my way. I shop alot of Used Music/Movie/Game places and get tons of great deals and they usually staffed by people who know stuff about the product they are selling.

it is a drive but I am in the city usually every other week and sometimes will stop in there. They have such a variety there and the prices are pretty decent. Now some of the stuff that i like i can't find all the live or imports like they might have for bands like pearl jam or but they still will have some of the odd/rare things i like.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's Pizza
Redneckmommy wrote:
for music i will make it a point to go to rolling stones as they usually have what i like.....rare ocassion i will go to best buy for it. I remember a few years back when a new artist would release a cd some times target, circus city, and best buy would have a limited edition of the cd that only they sell or would have very competitive pricing...now they are just way to over priced and harldy have competitive pricing.

Redneck, Rolling Stones Records near the Harlem-Irving Plaza is one of the few places where you can get CD's, even imports, & DVD's for a reasonable price and I always tend to stock up with quite a few items that I simply can't find elsewhere. It's also where I got my Rolling Stones' baseball cap, the black with the trademark lips' logo.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:37 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
SHARK wrote:
Redneckmommy wrote:

Redneck, Rolling Stones Records near the Harlem-Irving Plaza is one of the few places where you can get CD's, even imports, & DVD's for a reasonable price and I always tend to stock up with quite a few items that I simply can't find elsewhere. It's also where I got my Rolling Stones' baseball cap, the black with the trademark lips' logo.

What does a SHARK listen to?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:43 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
Dethklok's underwater album...as it was made exclusively for fish.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's Pizza
Puckhead wrote:
SHARK wrote:
Redneckmommy wrote:

What does a SHARK listen to?
Puckhead, SHARK is into classic/hard rock. If it rocks from the Stones, ZZ Top, Eric Clapton, Aerosmith, Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers, John Mellencamp and others, SHARK's rockin' to it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:46 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Homemade 2. Jewels
In my world, Best Buy is the United Airlines of retail. Both were arrogant and provided lousy service during their heydays, and in many cases still do.

There is nothing Best Buy has that I cannot buy cheaper elsewhere or on-line (or torrent for free).

They are getting exactly what they deserve.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:56 pm 

pizza_Place: Little Caesar's
Ugueth Will Shiv You wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised if Best Buy went under eventually, or if it turned into a completely online store like Amazon or something.

Like Tower Records.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
I just figured out that Urlacher's missing neck is No Neck 54 from the live chat... :oops:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:09 am 

pizza_Place: Milano's
Colonel Angus wrote:
Ugueth Will Shiv You wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised if Best Buy went under eventually, or if it turned into a completely online store like Amazon or something.

Like Tower Records.

Tower Records actually provided a pretty decent service back in the day...yeah their non-sale CD's were pushing 18$ but if there was something you wanted and knew you couldn't get it at Best Buy or CC or whoever, you pretty much could count on Tower having it. They had a great selection. And albeit small, they maintained some vinyl presence. Obviously now with being able to find any album on the internet in a matter of seconds they're no long useful but they used to be pretty good.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:18 pm 

pizza_Place: Little Caesar's
Best Buy is closing 6 Stores in the Chicago area:

http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/Best-Buy-Closing-6-Chicago-area-Stores--147433175.html

The locations of the stores are listed below.
Addison - 1038 N. Rohlwing Rd.
87th & Dan Ryan - 8900 S. Lafayette Ave.
Deerfield - 200 S. Waukegan Rd.
Matteson - 4707 Lincoln Mall Dr.
Mundelein - 1100 N. U.S. Route 83
West Dundee - 979 W. Main St.