It is currently Wed Oct 09, 2024 12:25 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:56 pm 

pizza_Place: Gem City
good dolphin wrote:
I've written before and I'll write it again, the murder rate in the city is high, but that is based on a handfull of communities. The overwhelming majority of this city is safe 24 hours a day.

http://www.chicagomag.com/Chicago-Magazine/January-2012/Gangs-and-Politicians-Map-of-Chicago-Gangs/

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:10 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
I'm not just pulling my opinions out of my ass Rick. I think you have some idyllic vision of the suburbs that they are as quiet as farmland.

Orland has plenty of nice houses and some of the worst traffic you can find in this county
In general, the more population density the "louder" the area is. The more public transportation options, the "louder" the area is.

Of course there are some areas of Chicago that seem kind of like suburbs, just like there are some suburbs that seem like you are still in Chicago.

It's not a crime to think that many suburbs are quieter than most places in one of the largest cities in the world. It's pretty logical. There are a lot of great reasons to live in the city too. "Quiet neighborhoods" is not one of them.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:15 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
:lol: :lol: Mercy.

If you want quiet, you can find it in the city. If you want noise, you can find it in the city. You can find quiet suburbs and bustling suburbs.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:18 pm 

Spaulding wrote:
How's community involvement in the city? I don't think I'd want to live in Cook County right now.

Frankly community involvement in many burbs is a mammoth drawback for some. Frankly many suburban gov't residential land use restrictions, mandated inspections & requirements amuse the hell out of me. And when we get to the discussion of suburban real estate taxes, water, toll, travel, (name your) fees, I really lose the desire to consider SUB-urban life.

Unless you really have a penchant for shopping malls, bland (no) culture & microwaved food, DuPage, Will, Kane, Kendall counties don't exactly sing for me either.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:24 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
There are a lot of great reasons to live in the city too. "Quiet neighborhoods" is not one of them.

How many hundreds of thousands of people live in Beverly, Morgan Park, Hyde Park, Kenwood, Oakland, Mt. Greenwood :wink: , Ashburn in large part for that reason? Or the pockets of Jackson Park Highlands, Chatham or numerous other places again just on the south side? Hell, parts of Bridgeport and Bronzeville are disturbingly quiet at night.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:31 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Lincolnwood? Doesn't that border Chicago? Of course that's not much different. There isn't some magic line as soon as you leave Chicago that turns the land into a house every mile.

I don't know enough about Wilmette as I'm not from the northern suburbs but I'd be surprised if Wilmette was as loud as most any neighborhood in Chicago.

OK, so close suburbs are not suburbs. Also the standard is now "most any neighborhood" rather than their being neighborhoods. Finally, you "don't know enough about Wilmette" and it's pretty apparent you don't know enough about the other areas I have proferred. I see this is going down a familiar path so I will just politely end.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:33 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
I'm not just pulling my opinions out of my ass Rick. I think you have some idyllic vision of the suburbs that they are as quiet as farmland.

Orland has plenty of nice houses and some of the worst traffic you can find in this county
In general, the more population density the "louder" the area is. The more public transportation options, the "louder" the area is.

Of course there are some areas of Chicago that seem kind of like suburbs, just like there are some suburbs that seem like you are still in Chicago.

It's not a crime to think that many suburbs are quieter than most places in one of the largest cities in the world. It's pretty logical. There are a lot of great reasons to live in the city too. "Quiet neighborhoods" is not one of them.

Naperville, 500,000 residents

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:34 pm 

yeah, sorry, I fucked that up...still, that's a lot of people

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:36 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
I see this is going down a familiar path so I will just politely end.
If you are going to complain about my posting style every time I am discussing something with you then it may be best if we just ignore each other. It seems like you do it every time.

I submit. Chicago is filled with areas as quiet as all those suburbs with significantly lower population densities and land sizes and much less public transportation.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:38 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
yeah, sorry, I fucked that up...still, that's a lot of people
With a population density less than over 100 other cities in Illinois.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:46 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
I see this is going down a familiar path so I will just politely end.
If you are going to complain about my posting style every time I am discussing something with you then it may be best if we just ignore each other. It seems like you do it every time.

I submit. Chicago is filled with areas as quiet as all those suburbs with significantly lower population densities and land sizes and much less public transportation.

Would you prefer that I just keep pursuing an argument that goes nowhere? I have no problem with your posting style. Your arguing style seems to me to be a war of attrition and I tire easily. I don't ignore anyone here and I don't intend to.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:48 pm 

I'll do my best to respond less.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:56 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
The incessant, and nearly deafening, popping of Champagne corks here in Kenilworth often makes me long for the peace and train traffic of Wilmette.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:34 pm 

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
The incessant, and nearly deafening, popping of Champagne corks here in Kenilworth often makes me long for the peace and train traffic of Wilmette.

Don't forget the groans of pain from the debtors in the dungeons.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:34 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
I'll do my best to respond less.

From now on, if it gets to a third page, we officially declare detente

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:39 pm 

by the way, in between posts I just had an employee come in and answer the question of why she was late with 30 minutes about her dysfunctional family...I guess the question was a little too open ended

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:39 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
good dolphin wrote:
by the way, in between posts I just had an employee come in and answer the question of why she was late with 30 minutes about her dysfunctional family...I guess the question was a little too open ended

Late like it came up blue late?

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.