It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 4:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3069 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 103  Next
 Post subject: Re: STORMWATCH 2019!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:14 pm 

pizza_Place: Tombstone
Jbi11s wrote:
Oh yes.

Layer up for sure.

Under Armor 4.0 and 5.0 are life savers .

+1. When i ran Tuesday afternoon (before the big cold push, it was single-digits when I went out) i wore one UA base layer shirt and a thin windbreaker and was sweating like crazy by the end. That UA stuff really works and minimizes the number of layers you have to wear.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:39 pm 

pizza_Place: Bojono's on Clarendon
Dolphin and Don Tiny haven't posted in a couple days, so we're going to assume they are dead, right?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
getting kind of warm out. time to take off the long handles.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Parts Unknown
Telegram Sam wrote:
Dolphin and Don Tiny haven't posted in a couple days, so we're going to assume they are dead, right?

Maybe they were banned?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:37 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
Bannings are the new "Final Solution" it seems.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:33 pm 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
Ice storm coming.... Who's ready to lose their power or spin out on the highway?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
https://youtu.be/2K8I1aC32KM?t=29

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:45 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
more mass panic for nothing.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
Caller Bob wrote:
more mass panic for nothing.

Everyone drive safe.

Brake early.

Be aware of your surroundings

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:49 pm 

Better tip: Be home by 5 PM and avoid it all.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
Wife and daughter are in the Burbs today. Told them go get a hotel since their appointments won’t be done.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:54 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
IMU wrote:
Tonight shouldn't be much of an issue as the storm isn't supposed to start until 6 or 7 o'clock, and will begin as all rain. The AM commute tomorrow could be a clusterfuck if not dangerous should these forecasts hold true.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:59 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
IMU wrote:
Tonight shouldn't be much of an issue as the storm isn't supposed to start until 6 or 7 o'clock, and will begin as all rain. The AM commute tomorrow could be a clusterfuck if not dangerous should these forecasts hold true.

Yeah, looking at these overnight temperatures, we could be seeing big problems in some suburbs and no problem in others. A couple degrees difference could make a huge difference. Looks like the SW suburbs might have a bit more of an issue than the northern portions of the state.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:02 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
"The Federal Emergency Management Agency is urging residents across Chicago and northern Illinois to stay off the roads as the area encounters its first ice storm warning in almost a decade.

"Stay inside and off the roads unless absolutely necessary," said FEMA Regional Administrator James K. Joseph in a statement. "Monitor local weather alerts and make sure everyone in your family knows what to do now to stay safe in the event of an extended power outage."

One- to two-tenths of an inch of ice will be possible Tuesday night in far northern Illinois counties, and some southern areas could get three- or four-tenths by dawn.

Downed trees and power outages are possible in this severe weather, FEMA noted."

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:06 pm 

If the ground is cold enough the rain will hit the roads and turn to ice even at 34 or 35 degrees.

We had one up here a couple months ago, and even in 4 wheel drive I was sliding all over.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:13 pm 
100000 CLUB

Peoria Matt wrote:
"The Federal Emergency Management Agency is urging residents across Chicago and northern Illinois to stay off the roads as the area encounters its first ice storm warning in almost a decade.

"Stay inside and off the roads unless absolutely necessary," said FEMA Regional Administrator James K. Joseph in a statement. "Monitor local weather alerts and make sure everyone in your family knows what to do now to stay safe in the event of an extended power outage."

One- to two-tenths of an inch of ice will be possible Tuesday night in far northern Illinois counties, and some southern areas could get three- or four-tenths by dawn.

Downed trees and power outages are possible in this severe weather, FEMA noted."

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Quonset
Over 1/4" of ice?!

That'll lead to MANY deaths on the roads.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:18 pm 

Could be mass casualties.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
what time is this supposed to start? Hopefully my son's basketball game is cancelled.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:44 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
Coaching an SO basketball game in Joliet at 7. No chance I’m going to drive down 80 from South Holland and back.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:45 pm 
100000 CLUB

Quote:
ICE STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 6 PM THIS EVENING TO 6 AM CST WEDNESDAY...

* WHAT...
SIGNIFICANT ICING EXPECTED DUE TO FREEZING RAIN. ICE ACCUMULATIONS OF ONE TENTH TO FOUR TENTHS OF AN INCH EXPECTED... WITH THE HIGHEST ICE AMOUNTS NORTHWEST OF A LINE FROM STREATOR TO MORRIS TO JOLIET TO DOWNTOWN CHICAGO. SOME SLEET MAY MIX WITH THE FREEZING RAIN EARLY IN THE EVENING.

* WHERE...
PORTIONS OF NORTH CENTRAL AND NORTHEAST ILLINOIS. * WHEN...FROM 6 PM THIS EVENING TO 6 AM CST WEDNESDAY. * ADDITIONAL DETAILS...POWER OUTAGES AND TREE DAMAGE ARE POSSIBLE DUE TO THE ICE. TRAVEL COULD BE NEARLY IMPOSSIBLE ON UNTREATED SURFACES. THE HAZARDOUS CONDITIONS MAY IMPACT THE EVENING AND MORNING COMMUTE.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...
AN ICE STORM WARNING MEANS SIGNIFICANT AMOUNTS OF ICE ACCUMULATION WILL MAKE TRAVEL DANGEROUS OR IMPOSSIBLE. TRAVEL IS STRONGLY DISCOURAGED. IF YOU MUST TRAVEL, KEEP AN EXTRA FLASHLIGHT, FOOD AND WATER IN YOUR VEHICLE IN CASE OF AN EMERGENCY. SNAPPED POWER LINES AND FALLING TREE BRANCHES ARE ALSO POSSIBLE.

THE LATEST ROAD CONDITIONS FOR THE STATE YOU ARE CALLING FROM CAN BE OBTAINED BY GOING TO http://WWW.GETTINGAROUNDILLINOIS.COM IN ILLINOIS OR BY CALLING 1800 261 7623 IN INDIANA

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:50 pm 

billypootons wrote:
Ice storm coming.... Who's ready to lose their power or spin out on the highway?

CFMB Fan Boys:

Management:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:13 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
From Bob Gardiner at Lake County Stormwater Management Commission

We may be in for a couple of rough days ahead. The National Weather Service has issued an Ice Storm Warning for Lake County (among others) from 6:00pm tonight until 6:00am tomorrow morning. Here is a portion of the text from the warning (I added the red): An Ice Storm Warning means significant amounts of ice
accumulation will make travel dangerous or impossible. Travel is strongly discouraged. If you must travel, keep an extra flashlight, food and water in your vehicle in case of an emergency. Snapped power lines and falling tree branches are also possible.

The latest NWS Site Report is also attached.

Freezing rain occurs when there is a layer of cold air (below freezing) at the surface and a layer of warm, moist air above. The cold layer at the surface has to be just right. A little thicker and some of the rain freezes before it hits the surface and we get sleet (sleet has a beat and it bounces when it hits). If the surface cold layer is a lot thicker we get snow.

The NWS says this is the first ice storm to hit the Chicago area in ten years. I’ve been through several ice storms and they are the worst. Right now, the NWS is forecasting 0.32” of precipitation and all of it coming down as freezing rain although we may see some sleet and snow mixed in. Anything over a couple hundredths inch of ice makes travel treacherous if not impossible. I’ve skated down frozen roads (granted, I was a kid at the time…) so don’t expect ANY traction. I’ve also been in storms where we lost power for days at a time (Detroit area). The saving grace is there doesn’t look like there will be a lot of wind. Ice is heavy on tree branches and powerlines. Add a little wind and swaying and tree branches and power lines tend to come down. Keep in mind that the powerlines are often still live and the ground may be wet. A live powerline hitting wet ground makes an impressive explosion and can kill anyone standing nearby (i.e. stay away). Also, keep in mind that even if roads get salted, steps, sidewalks and parking lots may still literally be a sheet of ice. Depending on how fast the freezing rain falls, DOTs may have trouble treating the roads as the chemicals may wash off. Also, it may take a while to melt 0.3” of ice. However, when it does melt, be careful walking under trees and especially walking near tall buildings as falling ice can really give you a bad day…The bright side is all the ice on everything can be very photogenic.

Notice that there is about 50% - 60% chance of getting at least 0.25” of ice and Lake County and Kenosha are right in the middle so there is a pretty good chance we will get significant freezing rain.

There is also a chance of freezing rain again Wednesday afternoon but it may start a little earlier and could affect the afternoon commute. Keep an eye on that one as well.

Here is the Lake County SkyWarn forecast:
OUTLOOK FOR LAKE, SOUTHERN KENOSHA, EXTREME NORTHERN COOK AND EXTREME EAST MCHENRY COUNTIES

HAZARDS: LCS Hazard Level 2 from 6 PM today until 6 AM Wednesday for ice accumulations of 0.15" to 0.30"

SHORT TERM: Snow then record cold and now ice. Ice forecasts are complicated and confidence is usually average at best as small temperature changes aloft, at the surface and rainfall rates all play a part in how much ice we get. Fortunately, we aren't going to see a lot of wind which helps. Even a 25 mph wind with 1/4" of ice can simulate 50 mph winds when it comes to tree damage and power outages. Models diverge considerably on ice ranging from 0.05" to 0.45". Right now the 60% probability guidance is at 0.22" with the 80% chance of 0.08" and 40% chance of 0.33". The Euro model has the lowest amounts in the eastern 1/4 of the area do to influence from the mid lake water temps in the mid 30's. We could see some sleet and even snow mixed in at times especially if rain rates are moderate. Things should get going around 6 PM and begin to wane after 3 AM. Hard to tell right now how Wednesday morning commute will be. Temperature should remain below freezing during the event the farther north you go with SE areas possibly touching 32 toward the end.

LONGER TERM: Another system comes in Wednesday night with more freezing rain at the start but not expecting any accumulations above 0.10". Freezing rain should change to rain toward morning as highs work there way into the low 40's Thursday. Look out Friday and Saturday as we get a quick shot of Arctic air with highs Friday in the mid teens and lows Saturday morning in some places could drop below zero which is difficult to do with only an inch or two of snow on the ground.

Today:(B) Variable clouds with a chance of a little snow and sleet in the late afternoon. High 30
Tonight:(B) Freezing rain. Steady temperatures
Wednesday:(C) Slight chance of some freezing rain in the early morning with a chance of a little rain in the afternoon. High 35
Wednesday Night:(C) Some freezing rain in the evening changing to rain. Steady temperatures.
Thursday:(C) Occasional rain. High 42
Thursday Night:(C) Rain changing to snow before ending. Much colder. Low 10
Friday:(C) Partly cloudy, breezy and much colder, High 15
Friday Night:(C) Clear. Low +1
Saturday:(C) Mostly sunny. High 22

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:42 pm 

pizza_Place: Phils' on 35th all you need to know
Ice storm has started here in the QCA. this is gong to be a fun one.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:17 pm 

Daughter’s school has a late start tomorrow. Instead of dropping her off at 8:30 it’s now 9. Oh the humanity.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:29 pm 

Ice now sends us to the bunker?

The fuck kind of insanity is going on with this city.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:50 pm 

Looks like they blew it. Nice work forecasters.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:57 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
Ice now sends us to the bunker?

The fuck kind of insanity is going on with this city's suburbanites .

Fixed.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Caseys
Thunder ice. Awesome.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Caseys
1/2 inch ice in 3 minutes . Impressive.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3069 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 103  Next