It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 196 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Flying
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:54 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
There is 0 reason to dress formally for any non special occasion. I'm sure people lamented the loss of white wigs too.

Formal dress is a way of control by executives and companies. I see no reason to dress the same way that companies force their employees to do to stress uniformity, obedience, and status.

Look at that flower child, Rick...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:55 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
There is 0 reason to dress formally for any non special occasion. I'm sure people lamented the loss of white wigs too.

Formal dress is a way of control by executives and companies. I see no reason to dress the same way that companies force their employees to do to stress uniformity, obedience, and status.

Tyler Durden, over here.

So a tank top and ball cap are acceptable at Sullivan's?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:07 pm 

pizza_Place: Caseys
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
One thing I've never heard anyone successfully answer is what Darkside mentioned earlier. Why is an airplane different than anywhere else? Do people dress up to ride the rides at Great America?

I've answered it many times. On a plane there is no escape. You're trapped in a confined place with these people for several hours. One's behavior should be somewhat formal. That begins with dress.

Why has no one thrown you out of the plane so you could fly home with your sportcoat flapping in the breeze?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:10 pm 

Juice's Lecture Notes wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Tyler Durden, over here.

So a tank top and ball cap are acceptable at Sullivan's?

If a business wants to have a dress code that is fine. I'm just not volunteering myself to do it if I don't have to.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:14 pm 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
In general I don't dress up on a day to day basis but am completely comfortable in dress pants and a coat and tie. For years a comfy pair of khakis was preference over jeans. I do hate the trend of sweats and pajama pants as daily wear. Especially when it looks like they've been sleeping in them for a week.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
Drunk Squirrel wrote:
In general I don't dress up on a day to day basis but am completely comfortable in dress pants and a coat and tie. For years a comfy pair of khakis was preference over jeans. I do hate the trend of sweats and pajama pants as daily wear. Especially when it looks like they've been sleeping in them for a week.

This guy gets it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Flying used to be different, it used to be an experience. Didn't matter if it was for business or pleasure, you got a good meal, possibly a drink and were treated like you were somebody. Now it's just like anything else, it's all about money. Move as many people as quick as you can clean the plane, turn around and do it again. Some Airlines even charge you to carry on a bag or a purse. It's ridiculous.

I dont wear "shower shoes" on a plane, but there is simply no reason for me to wear anything more than jeans and a tshirt.

You do that then the next logical step is trying to openly clean your ears using a dildo with the functionality of a Q-Tip.

I think some of the behaviors you see on planes bear that out.

:lol: I think you need to stop traveling with the Vikings.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minneso ... ty_scandal

Kyrie Irving will never win anything as a team's alpha: check
T.rubisky is a bust: check
Ben Simmons is a liability: check
The Fields Cult is dumb: double check

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:28 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
I wonder if Moose gives handies on planes.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:48 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Why can't people be bothered to learn to be comfortable in a jacket and tie? Not everything has to be the 100% absolute easiest all the time.

They aren't comfortable. That's why.

I don't know where you're buying your shit, but a properly-sized shirt under a jacket is perfectly comfortable. Maybe it's the modern style of extreme slim-fit and people not willing to buy a size or two up to fit their body properly.

If you are buying a suit off the rack and wearing it as is, you are doing it wrong and probably look like a slob. Spend a few extra dollars and make sure it fits the right way. Rick is right about a jacket and tie being uncomfortable. If you wear a jacket and tie for work the first thing you do when you get off is unloosen the tie. Why? Because it's uncomfortable.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

Mind you own damn business! -VP Walz

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:11 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
Ties = leashyourworkers

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:59 am 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Flying used to be different, it used to be an experience. Didn't matter if it was for business or pleasure, you got a good meal, possibly a drink and were treated like you were somebody. Now it's just like anything else, it's all about money. Move as many people as quick as you can clean the plane, turn around and do it again. Some Airlines even charge you to carry on a bag or a purse. It's ridiculous.

I dont wear "shower shoes" on a plane, but there is simply no reason for me to wear anything more than jeans and a tshirt.

Airplanes move people as quick as they can you clean the plane because the market dictated such. People prefer a lower cost no frills ticket. All your criticisms are because the market desires price over perks.

However, none of that precludes people who fly from dressing nicer. There is no effort required in putting on a pair of chinos/dark jeans and a button down. Leave the pajamas in the carry-on.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:50 am 

pizza_Place: Boboli

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:55 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
Killer V wrote:

The Cubs fly charter. I don't really care how Maddon dresses them for flight.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:56 am 
Site Admin

Nas wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Why can't people be bothered to learn to be comfortable in a jacket and tie? Not everything has to be the 100% absolute easiest all the time.

They aren't comfortable. That's why.

I don't know where you're buying your shit, but a properly-sized shirt under a jacket is perfectly comfortable. Maybe it's the modern style of extreme slim-fit and people not willing to buy a size or two up to fit their body properly.

If you are buying a suit off the rack and wearing it as is, you are doing it wrong and probably look like a slob.

You Hillarettes just won't stop picking on Sean Spicer.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:01 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 6 characters
I don't see the point in wearing anything other than what makes you comfortable on a vehicle designed to make you as uncomfortable as possible.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:07 am 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
leashyourkids wrote:
I wonder if Moose gives handies on planes.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

JORRStories wrote:
It's funny you mention that. My partner and I ran into her on our way to a business lunch out near Sportsman's Park not too long ago. I think she gained more weight, but my partner was totally in to her. I'm pretty sure that she won't fit into a row on an airplane, much less a seat. Maybe he needs to get back to that coke habit.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:10 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Ugueth Will Shiv You wrote:
I don't see the point in wearing anything other than what makes you comfortable on a vehicle designed to make you as uncomfortable as possible.

You are probably right but aside from Jorr's sport coats impeccable hygiene and footwear that included socks should not be out of the question.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:11 am 
1000 CLUB

pittmike wrote:

You are probably right but aside from Jorr's sport coats impeccable hygiene and footwear that included socks should not be out of the question.

Yeah, as long as there is no stench, I'm usually fine with it.

(The preceding has been used in multiple threads of various topics)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:17 am 

People would still dress like pigs if a plane was comfortable (debatable to say they're not comfortable to begin with.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:19 am 
1000 CLUB

Kirkwood wrote:

People would still dress like pigs if a plane was comfortable (debatable to say they're not comfortable to begin with.

I'd wager that most would agree business class or coach are analogous to medieval torture huts.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:25 am 

Kirkwood wrote:

I'd wager that most would agree business class or coach are analogous to medieval torture huts.

Coach, or "Economy" is awful. I was crammed in there a couple of weeks ago...luckily, the flight was around 2 hours. Never mind the fact that I'm a hair on the tubby side, I'm 6' 1", and my legs were too long for the tiny ass space. My knees are crammed right up on the hinges of the seat in front of me, and fuck all if they recline slightly...that shit hurts.

That said, I flew Southwest to and from Orlando back in February, and it was delightful. Lotta leg room in there, and the seats were actually comfortable, too. Looking forward to Southwest to Vegas in May.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:28 am 

Kirkwood wrote:

I dunno. I'm 6'1 225 and don't have much of an issue. If I wanted utmost comfort the airlines offer first class tickets for an upcharge.

On Sunday I was able to book a flight to LAX for $225. During Frank's "golden age" of flying that price would not exist.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:30 am 
Site Admin

Bottom Line: Air travel is uncomfortable so we should dress like slobs.

Do I have that right?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:32 am 
1000 CLUB

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Do I have that right?

One man's slob is another man's Tuesday.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:35 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Kirkwood wrote:
Kirkwood wrote:

I dunno. I'm 6'1 225 and don't have much of an issue. If I wanted utmost comfort the airlines offer first class tickets for an upcharge.

On Sunday I was able to book a flight to LAX for $225. During Frank's "golden age" of flying that price would not exist.

Quad City Pat vibe.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:36 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Do I have that right?
I wouldn't say you should dress like slobs but you also shouldn't choose one of the most uncomfortable types of dress we have.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:42 am 
Site Admin

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Do I have that right?
I wouldn't say you should dress like slobs but you also shouldn't choose one of the most uncomfortable types of dress we have.

Nobody is asking you to fly in a hair shirt. It's really not too much to ask a man to wear a jacket. All of the informality leads to toenail clipping and reclining into people's laps. I guarantee if the social standard on a plane was jackets for men and skirts/dresses for women many of the bad behaviors we see on planes would not exist.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:43 am 

I'm not buying a sports coat to fly. That's insane.

When I flew for work, it was dress pants, polo shirt, and my normal jacket. Doesn't seem unreasonable.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:43 am 
Site Admin

Killer V wrote:
If you're upset that people aren't dressed up, you can afford to hire a charter.

That's exactly backward. If you want to fly in your fuckin' bathrobe, you should hire a charter.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:44 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Do I have that right?

Nobody is asking you to fly in a hair shirt. It's really not too much to ask a man to wear a jacket. All of the informality leads to toenail clipping and reclining into people's laps. I guarantee if the social standard on a plane was jackets for men and skirts/dresses for women many of the bad behaviors we see on planes would not exist.
There is no chance I am wearing a jacket on an airplane unless it is part of the dress code of the airline.

Khakis and a fleece jacket is fine.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 196 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next