It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 4:46 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1853 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 62  Next
 Post subject: Re: DD214 Challenge
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:45 am 

The Hawk wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Your last post said it was "wrong" to not take everyone at their word. I, too, ignore crazy or lying people.

I was speaking in the context of this forum, but "wrong" was perhaps the wrong word to use there. You can use the forum any way you want and have any standard of belief for its members that you want. Of course there are people who play characters in such a forum. Some of them even admit it. I just choose to take everything at face value. There are the guys I have met and know. And then there are those I have never met and/or who are anonymous. For those guys I accept them at face value. Because what difference does it make? If Turd Ferguson says his name is Pete Johnson and he's a firefighter but he is actually Joe Dokes, a college professor, what difference does it make? I find it ridiculous to demand that Turd provide a photo of himself aboard a hook and ladder.

rogers park bryan wrote:
I think FF is an honest guy.

So do I. And I have never paid much attention to The Hawk until all of this, but now that I've gotten in the middle of it, I think he's an honest guy too. I could be wrong though. I know FavreFan actually exists. In The Hawk's case I know who he says he is and his email address. I suspect in a day or so I will have some documents sent to me by someone. Whether that person is The Hawk or someone The Hawk is pretending to be or someone who is pretending to be The Hawk, I cannot be certain.

That's all fair enough.

Honestly, when I see those stolen valor videos I cringe because it always seems like the guy doing it is mentally handicapped or messed up somehow. I get why actual vets are pissed but my thought on that has always been to leave the crazies alone. If there is some guy who is of sound mind just going out of his way to lie and pretend he served, he deserves to be called out.

If The Hawk was a Sneakers O'Toole or Godfella type just posting normal stuff and mentioned his military service and people did this Id take issue. I just cant muster up sympathy for a guy who acts like Hawk does. I think you're right about that part. If he wasnt a jerk to so many people this wouldnt be happening.

That is just an asinine comment. So you do not like my politics and think that I am an asshole. So because of YOUR OPINION, you think it is okay to accuse me of a felony out of hand? In other words, if I was "nice" to people and agreed with YOUR OPINIONS, then my mention of my service record would probably be praised by you and others. What BULLSHIT that is Really weak assed shit.

Has nothing to do with your politics.

You are a jerk to people, so its more likely people will take you to task for things. Very simple. Sorry you dont like it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:47 am 

tommy wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
It's not really about opinion at this point, though. Proof is proof. What he is sending proves that he has access to these documents and pictures.

And that's fine that you dont mind if he's pretending to be someone he actually knows, but to me it's also very understandable why a veteran might take issue with that.

But if there is no proof, then no one can claim to be right. We would all still be guessing at that point.

It seems like everyone is setting up to just believe what they believed before this all started. That's fine but no one will have the grounds to say they know or it was proved.

It is about opinion though. Not taking the guy at his word is wrong. Just like accusing every new member of being a mult is wrong.

Sometimes i actually wonder if this is what prevents people from actively participating.

Honestly, and not to be a dick because you're my guy, ltg, but when you attack people irrationally or take bits of posts out of context to score points, it has a negative effect on the other people who would participate. That's probably the bigger problem, and I have been guilty of that, too, but we do have some serial offenders here and I know it's driven some reasonable people off.

Have I ever gone after you personally? Do you know why? because you have always been respectful towards me. I can name countless others that I have never attacked in that way. The guys that I go after had a pattern of always attacking personally. I tried for a while to be rational but then at some point that stops. It isn't about being a victim it is about being a Man. What is wrong with merely treating people as you want to be treated. The same goofs that brag about placing me on ignore were the same people that went out of their way to make every argument personal. When I started responding to them the way that they commented about it me they tried to make themselves out to be the "victim" by bragging about placing me on ignore.

I have no problem with disagreeing with people. It happens. Disagree without being disagreeable. However some people aren't used to having their opinions challenged on anything. That is one of the problems. I subscribed to this place over 10 years ago and for the first 7-8 years or so I never really checked for or commented much. One of the reasons was due to situations like this. For all the talk about the good ol days this place was one big gossip fest. Every time I'd check for the shows each and every thread it seems involved some sort of backstage intrigue. They didn't care much about the shows as much as they cared about the backstage shenanigans. WHich guys didn't like one another. Which guys were going to be moved. Lineup changes etc. I didn't even know that team sections existed because I never scolled down that far.

It is why guys like McNeil were so popular. He fed the beast with a lot of the "insider" info garbage that some of the longtime guys (that love to talk about the rocking old days) crave. He was their access to gossipy soap opera bullshit. You see that today with Dicaro and to a lesser extend Icegirl. Watch how this board lights up whenever she logs in to discuss a guy that 99.9% of Chicago would not even know existed.

If I have ran people away from this place then I apologize. I really do not believe that I have though. The guys that I make it personal with have a history of doing the shit with me. If they think that I am supposed to just "sit back and take it" then they are bigger idiots than first anticipated. I'm not.

Last edited by long time guy on Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:47 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Exactly. There are MANY people here who have differing opinions who have shared beers and broke bread together. Who you vote for or what baseball team's logo is on your hat generally has little to do with it.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:49 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
I will say Hawk has changed his posting style a bit the last week.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:50 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
pittmike wrote:

Predictable

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:53 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
FavreFan wrote:
pittmike wrote:

Predictable

MANY are seeing patterns today and yesterday.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:53 am 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
FavreFan wrote:
FrankDrebin wrote:
shakes wrote:
I haven't read the whole thread, but I gathered that Hawk was in the Vietnam war, saw combat and got 2 purple hearts whereas FF was in Desert Storm and might've run over a couple Iraqi's with his Humvee while racing through the desert to try and save an oil field.

Hawk wins this one in a landslide.

I believe FF was in during Operation Iraqi Freedom; he can clarify this of course.

I was in from 2008-2011 but never went overseas. Signed two signup sheets but I was in the Engineer corps and they didn’t need as many of those units at that point I guess. Being stuck in Louisiana for three years was more of a driving force in not re-enlisting than anything else.

geez, that's even worse. Hawk, take a victory lap.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:57 am 
100000 CLUB

So he was stateside, but still served. Does that make him better or worse than any other veteran?

If you got your degree from Havard Law or Hollywood Upstairs Law, are you not a lawyer either way?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:58 am 

Willing to bet Hawk would curb stomp FF in a McNugget eating contest too.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:59 am 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
Frank Coztansa wrote:
So he was stateside, but still served. Does that make him better or worse than any other veteran?
?

[ ] better

[x] worse

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:04 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
that's a pretty shitty take, shakes.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:05 am 

pizza_Place: Grazianos
Bye for now. Headed to the golf course. 8) 8) 8)

Oh, he might have went on livin'
But he made one fatal slip
When he tried to match the Ranger
With the big iron on his hip

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:14 am 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
doug - evergreen park wrote:
that's a pretty shitty take, shakes.

Predictable.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:22 am 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Sure it could have a doctored timestamp. Maybe you're The Hawk, you sneaky little fuck. I demand you prove otherwise.

The fact that I easily could be, even with you holding whatever, means that proper proof has not been provided yet.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:24 am 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
IMU wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Sure it could have a doctored timestamp. Maybe you're The Hawk, you sneaky little fuck. I demand you prove otherwise.

The fact that I easily could be, even with you holding whatever, means that proper proof has not been provided yet.

A picture with the board pulled up and logged in as The Hawk would remove any shred of doubt I would think.

Not that I think The Hawk should have to do that.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:25 am 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
Wait...did I miss the reveal?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:27 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
tommy wrote:

Somebody sent me a photo of somebody's Vietnam era dress uniform. We're just trying to figure out if the pic was actually sent by someone named The Hawk and if the uniform actually belongs to someone named The Hawk.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:37 am 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn
shakes wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
FrankDrebin wrote:
shakes wrote:
I haven't read the whole thread, but I gathered that Hawk was in the Vietnam war, saw combat and got 2 purple hearts whereas FF was in Desert Storm and might've run over a couple Iraqi's with his Humvee while racing through the desert to try and save an oil field.

Hawk wins this one in a landslide.

I believe FF was in during Operation Iraqi Freedom; he can clarify this of course.

I was in from 2008-2011 but never went overseas. Signed two signup sheets but I was in the Engineer corps and they didn’t need as many of those units at that point I guess. Being stuck in Louisiana for three years was more of a driving force in not re-enlisting than anything else.

geez, that's even worse. Hawk, take a victory lap.

That's insulting Shakes. It's not up to FF if he went to the desert or not. It's a deployment, not a permanent duty station. He volunteered to serve during a time of war, knowing that he could be deployed to Iraq or Afghanistan. At least he was honest about never going to the desert.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:40 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Exactly. There are MANY people here who have differing opinions who have shared beers and broke bread together. Who you vote for or what baseball team's logo is on your hat generally has little to do with it.

I agree but to a point. Some of the same guys that have broken bread together have gone after each other over politics more vociferously than anyone. It sounds good but it isn't based in reality in some regard. A lot of the breaking bread stuff has been sort of phony too since guys have come back talking out of school and saying things about people that would have never known had they not broken bread.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:45 am 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
long time guy wrote:
The guys that I make it personal with have a history of doing the shit with me.
No, you have a history of instigating personal hostility with other posters. Stop trying to paint your hostility and personal attacks as retaliatory. You starting shit with people and then wondering why they are hostile to you was a board meme for awhile.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:49 am 
100000 CLUB

Juice's Lecture Notes wrote:
long time guy wrote:
No, you have a history of instigating personal hostility with other posters. Stop trying to paint your hostility and personal attacks as retaliatory. You starting shit with people and then wondering why they are hostile to you was a board meme for awhile.
Holy fuck. This thread is not about either of you two ingrates. You have a thousand other threads where you two bicker back and forth to each other.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:50 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
long time guy wrote:
I agree but to a point. Some of the same guys that have broken bread together have gone after each other over politics more vociferously than anyone. It sounds good but it isn't based in reality in some regard. A lot of the breaking bread stuff has been sort of phony too since guys have come back talking out of school and saying things about people that would have never known had they not broken bread.

It's like 4 people that do that.

So, it's "not a lot" at all. The largest group of "us" interact quite well together. There are a few conflicts...few being the key word.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:51 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Holy fuck. This thread is not about either of you two ingrates. You have a thousand other threads where you two bicker back and forth to each other.
Oh shut the fuck up. I responded to him. Deal with it or go cry somewhere else.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:53 am 
100000 CLUB

Eat shit, jln.

doug - evergreen park wrote:
So, it's "not a lot" at all. The largest group of "us" interact quite well together. There are a few conflicts...few being the key word.
And what "few" people there are generally keep their distance and are respectful enough to eachother as to not ruin the get together for the rest of the group.

Except for IMU being thrown thru a window.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:55 am 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's

PFC Winkelsauce

Last edited by IMU on Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:55 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Eat shit, jln.
Fuck off.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
IMU wrote:

PFC Winkelsauce

Benedict IMU

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:05 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
long time guy wrote:

I never said that it was you idiot. I responded to a direct comment from Tommy that pertained to me. I never made it about me but I do have a right to respond if someone personally addresses me. That is what I mean by stupid biases. It is taking a shit for you to overlook one aspect of the conversation but not another.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:07 pm 

pizza_Place: Phils' on 35th all you need to know
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
tommy wrote:

Somebody sent me a photo of somebody's Vietnam era dress uniform. We're just trying to figure out if the pic was actually sent by someone named The Hawk and if the uniform actually belongs to someone named The Hawk.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:10 pm 

IMU wrote:

PFC Winkelsauce

:lol:

To rock my soul

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1853 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 62  Next