It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2024 12:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Brats
PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2024 9:34 pm 

Andrew McCarthy's video diary and reunion of sorts with his old work friends known as the Bratpack. It's only about 90 minutes, and is decent if you grew up or were all about those movies and actors.

It has some awesome old footage, too. Interviews with Emilio Estevez, Ally Sheedy, John Cryer, Timothy Hutton, Rob Lowe, Demi Moore, Lea Thompson, and various people of the industry. He even spoke to the guy that coined the term and Andrew has never let it go about how he felt about it "branding" them as actors.

He never gets to speak to Molly Ringwald, who stonewalled him. She always came off as an ice princess, just like her character in "The Breakfast Club" and seems like she still is like that.

A fun watch, and cool to see them all being introspective about the whole thing.

:D :D :D out of :D :D :D :D

Post subject: Re: Brats
PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2024 7:16 am 

my youngest put on The Breakfast Club the other day. He asked if people really thought Molly Ringwald was hot back in the day. I told her she was cute girl for teens for a couple of years in her life but got early very early in life and has never been seen again.

The Brat Pack is a little older than me, actually, most of them are almost a decade older. I only consider the people in St. Elmo's Fire in the club. They all seemed douchey. Anthony Michael Hall and Molly Ringwald were from a different era and see like a lot more fun, even if they were in some with the Brat Pack.

Spaulding's husband looks like Andrew Mc Carthy.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2024 7:18 am 

pizza_Place: Tombstone
I just watched this last night. It was interesting, but it seems like everyone got over the "Brat Pack" label except McCarthy himself. He seemed like he was desperately searching for someone to be as bitter as he is about it, but all he found were a bunch of people who embraced it and managed to move on with their lives while he seemingly has not been able to.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2024 7:23 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
good dolphin wrote:
Spaulding's husband looks like Andrew Mc Carthy.

Panther vibe.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2024 7:35 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
W_Z wrote:
Andrew McCarthy's video diary and reunion of sorts with his old work friends known as the Bratpack. It's only about 90 minutes, and is decent if you grew up or were all about those movies and actors.

It has some awesome old footage, too. Interviews with Emilio Estevez, Ally Sheedy, John Cryer, Timothy Hutton, Rob Lowe, Demi Moore, Lea Thompson, and various people of the industry. He even spoke to the guy that coined the term and Andrew has never let it go about how he felt about it "branding" them as actors.

He never gets to speak to Molly Ringwald, who stonewalled him. She always came off as an ice princess, just like her character in "The Breakfast Club" and seems like she still is like that.

A fun watch, and cool to see them all being introspective about the whole thing.

:D :D :D out of :D :D :D :D

Watched it this weekend, and you definitely would’ve had to have grown up with those movies to enjoy it. It was an Andrew McCarthy therapy session lol. Some real uncomfortable body language during the Emilio interview that’s for sure. Overall an enjoyable nostalgic look back on that time and movies

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2024 7:37 am 

man of few opinions wrote:
I just watched this last night. It was interesting, but it seems like everyone got over the "Brat Pack" label except McCarthy himself. He seemed like he was desperately searching for someone to be as bitter as he is about it, but all he found were a bunch of people who embraced it and managed to move on with their lives while he seemingly has not been able to.

i think it's because he felt he already had a growing career before "st. elmo's fire" and that was the big one that sent those kids into stardom. he probably resented being lumped in with other actors who had very little experience prior to it. but talk about a grudge...

bringing in timothy hutton the way he did, saying he was "the first brat"--meanwhile, hutton was perfectly content with his lot in life.

the exchange with blum was interesting because the facial expressions on mccarthy are so telling.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2024 7:39 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
man of few opinions wrote:

granted it was easy for her to say because she did not get pigeonholed and typecasted like the others in the group did and had a very successful career despite being associated with them, but Demi ‘s interview with him and her logic and perspective on it is how McCarthy probably should’ve been looking at it the whole time.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2024 7:45 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
Is the term "Brat Pack" supposed to be derogatory? I thought it was just a play on "Rat Pack." I get that the guy that coined it wrote a less than favorable piece, but I would have embraced the label. Those fuckers were on top of the world.

I'm sorry that McCarthy couldn't make the jump from playing the "pretty boy" in teen films to being an adult actor the way Cusack did and that Spader was better at playing the prep school villain than he was.

I bet Billy Zabka would have loved being in the Brat Pack.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2024 3:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Tombstone
I enjoyed watching McCarthy try to squeeze an apology out of Blum, and all he got from him was a "whatever, I guess" sort of response after he told him he wouldn't change a thing about the article if he had to do it all over again. Like JORR said, I guess I never realized it was a derogatory term. I don't think anyone did except for McCarthy. They all seemed to be humoring him to a certain extent in my opinion.