It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2024 12:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Immaculate
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2024 11:19 am 

i'm not sure how big this movie is, i saw it drop on Hulu recently and checked it out. yes, because of sydney sweeney. no, it was not worth it.

i guess this goes into the pile of "religious horror" but honestly, it's so dopey that it doesn't really deserve to draw any kind of ire. the plot is extremely thin, the characters are thin, the beats are all predictable and by-the-book. this director, who doesn't have much background in this genre, really just plays this by-the-numbers but i guess he wants to bluntly hit you over the head with symbolism...it doesn't work. it's like when a stupid person tries to be deep.

this girl, who survived falling through the ice when she was younger, but "came back to life" in order to survive...joins a convent in Italy. she's American, speaks very little Italian, but goes because she believes she's been called by god. instantly, she feels out of place and the other sister nuns regard her with a little disdain. the place itself is a strange set up--it appears that it's almost like a hospice with patients who are terminally ill. it's never really developed into anything, it's just used as a jumping off point.

the one good thing is that it's only about 90 minutes long, so the pacing is fine. visually...it has that annoying cliche so many newer horror movies do, with the contrast being so dense that you can't see anything in some scenes.

there are a few "jump scares" but they are, thankfully, very limited. and you can see them coming.

my guess is that this was an attempt to make a statement about evil religion, evil men, forcing births (in this case, she is impregnated mysteriously and called a "miracle mother" like Mary--hence the title)...but it doesn't really stick the landing, and when you find out "what's really going on", it's laughable. the ending scene is just gruesome and even a little tasteless.

not very scary. just plain idiotic.

:D out of :D :D :D :D

and no, she's not naked in it (that you can appreciate).