It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2024 6:25 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 28 Weeks Later
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 9:41 pm 

Probably one of the darkest films I've seen recently. Much more brooding than "28 Days Later" although that was dark in itself. This one pulls no punches, there is not one light moment; the cast to me was very likeable though and carried the film throughout. It's the type of movie that leaves you feeling very depleted emotionally at the end. A lot of violence, though there are some very quiet moments--yet they don't kill the pace. I liked that the film didn't seem to be afraid to take chances with the violence. Don't want to get too into it and ruin anything for those who want to see it--but it gets pretty intense. Affected me a lot, and moments of it laid with me all day, much like my experience with "Children of Men".

Overall, big thumbs up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 8:10 am 

I saw 28 Days Later on DVD after hearing so many great things about it. I was a little disappointed. Still I am interested in 28 Weeks Later. Thanks for the review.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 9:11 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
I detested 28 days later and heard 28 weeks later is worse. Interesting you like both movies Zach as our taste in movies are pretty similar from what I've read.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 9:19 am 

doesn't surprise me though :) no matter how many people i know that i have things in common with, there's always a few things where i'll be on the other side of the fence completely.

what did you hate about "28 days later"? i thought it was a refreshing film, not a "zombie" film but rather more like a social commentary on the dronish culture we've come to; and much like romero's "dawn of the dead", the zombies served the plot, they didn't define it. "28 weeks later" takes it further, where "days" flirted with the question of who our real enemy is and who creates the chaos--since the virus iteself was imposed by humans. "weeks" basically dives into mass hysteria, and really hits the question hard of "who the enemy is". there is a line that is blurred, where infecteds and regular humans are the enemies against the main characters.

i think the message is clearer in "28 days later" but I think it's much harsher in "28 weeks later".

i don't think either film has been intended as a straight up horror flick; so for those who were expecting that, i can understand the disappointment.

however, if you didn't look at either as a horror flick but still had problems with it, i'd like to hear the criticisms.