It is currently Mon Sep 23, 2024 6:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:41 pm 
1000 CLUB

I just started watching it recently. It's great. They chronical stories of Pirates and discuss the missing gospels in the bible. Judas wasn't so bad according to their claims. He had a Gospel that the Church didn't like. Did you know their was Lilith befor Eve? She went away to become a demon because Adam wanted her to be subserviant. LOL.

Last edited by Beardown on Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:44 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Papa Dells
My favorite demond is Demond Wilson.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:02 pm 

pizza_Place: Boboli

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:25 pm 

Beardown wrote:
I just started watching it recently. It's great. They chronical stories of Pirates and discuss the missing gospels in the bible. Judas wasn't so bad according to their claims. He had a Gospel that the Church didn't like. Did you know their was Lilith befor Eve? She went away to become a demon because Adam wanted her to be subserviant. LOL.

I always watch that special, Beardown. It's very interesting to me to see all the gnostic gospels and what they were about. Proves more and more that these were just stories, passed on from generation to generation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Il-Forno in Deerfield
One morning a month ago, I was on baby duty when the history channel did a marathon of their "Presidents" series and I was hooked beause each President was given a baseball card like graphic where they listed personality traits on the back. I was totally hooked.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:15 pm 

The history channel is too close to reading, or thinking, or any other activity that involves thinking that sucks. I'll stick to watching the same season of road rules/real world challenge on mtv. I didn't graduate to keep on learning stuff. Those days are over.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:19 pm 
1000 CLUB

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
I didn't graduate to keep on learning stuff.

:lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:01 am 

pizza_Place: ***
The gnostic gospels have been excluded from canon for centuries upon centuries, and there is very good reason- most of the gospels were written 300 years or more after the rest of the new testament had been completed, and well after any serious nexus between the events chronicaled and those things being written could have existed. In fact, many of the gnostic gospels, including the dubious "Book of Judas", are simply recastings of gnostic/pagan traditions that extend well before the birth of Jesus. Gnosticism has been pretty well described as a parasitic religion- it has very few traditions of its own, but instead it has forced itself upon the myths and traditions of several other religions and attempted to portray their central characters as following gnostic doctrine. The History Channel, as usual, is sensationalizing quite a bit, but anyome serious about Christianity knows better. Whether you regard the rest of the Bible as hokum is a can of worms I don't wish to open, but to say that these gnostic gospels have no grounding in history is to almost be too generous to them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:52 am 

pizza_Place: Bona Pizza in Lombard
For anyone who is interested, the History Channel's "The Universe" and "Cities of the Underworld" are both fantastic and deserve space on your DVR/TiVo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:31 am 
1000 CLUB

The History Channel, The Military Channel, and History International are three channels I check everytime I turn on the TV. Great shows, solid information, and one usually has something interesting on at any time. The only shows I don't like on there are ones where they attempt to "recreate" the action; I generally prefer the shows that have actual footage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:37 am 

MUScholar21 wrote:
The only shows I don't like on there are ones where they attempt to "recreate" the action; I generally prefer the shows that have actual footage.

The Discovery Times channel does this often; but some of it's pretty hilarious to watch. The Lizzy Borden special they did was hysterical. The beards were very fake, and the accents were terrible. Because it was about Lizzy Borden, I didn't mind the camp (though it was unintentional); if it were about...say, the Civil War or something, maybe I'd be mad because I'd expect better quality.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:04 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Hut
Mr. Reason wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Kid Cairo: 2013 March Madness Tournament Winner!

"Cowabunga? Cowa fucking piece of dog shit! This game is diarrhea coming out of my dick!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:15 am 
1000 CLUB

Kid Cairo wrote:
Mr. Reason wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

The joke fell flat after Beardown edited his post and corrected the word demon, which he originally spelled demond.
I think it should be in the by-laws you can't edit a post after someone has cracked wise on your mistake.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:36 am 
1000 CLUB

I think the joke fell flat because there were only about 6 people here who remember the opening credits of Sanford and Son to know who Demond Wilson was (I had to use IMDB just to find out)....you're showing your age :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:46 am 
1000 CLUB

MUScholar21 wrote:
I think the joke fell flat because there were only about 6 people here who remember the opening credits of Sanford and Son to know who Demond Wilson was (I had to use IMDB just to find out)....you're showing your age :lol:

Well yeah, there is that.

I think it fell flat because of the failure of crackers to recognize cutting edge black sitcoms. It's because of people like you that The Hughley's got canceled.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:50 am 

Soup Fan Anthony wrote:
For anyone who is interested, the History Channel's "The Universe" and "Cities of the Underworld" are both fantastic and deserve space on your DVR/TiVo.

While I enjoy most of the History Channel's lineup, the "Cities of the Underworld" or whatever it is, is boooooooooooooooooring.
They may as well open a sewer downtown Chicago and walk around and say ridiculous things like "40 feet above, people eat, shop and go on with their lives and are completely unaware of the secret world below"....what the fuck are you talking about. I'm pretty sure we're all well aware that there's sewers and caves and other boring shit below our cities but we don't go down there because it's A SEWER!!!! HELLO!!!

I only watched it hoping it would somehow have something to do with Kate Beckinsale....no luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:16 am 
1000 CLUB

Reason, who you calling cracker, honky? :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:42 am 

WestmontMike wrote:
Soup Fan Anthony wrote:

While I enjoy most of the History Channel's lineup, the "Cities of the Underworld" or whatever it is, is boooooooooooooooooring.
They may as well open a sewer downtown Chicago and walk around and say ridiculous things like "40 feet above, people eat, shop and go on with their lives and are completely unaware of the secret world below"....what the fuck are you talking about. I'm pretty sure we're all well aware that there's sewers and caves and other boring shit below our cities but we don't go down there because it's A SEWER!!!! HELLO!!!

I only watched it hoping it would somehow have something to do with Kate Beckinsale....no luck

So far on that show I have seen a crypt full of bubonic plague victim skeletons, Hitler's bunker, Churchill's bunker, stops on the uderground railroad, the crypts below the Old North Church where Paul Revere warned of the British coming and any number of bomb shelters and sewer systems.

If finding that stuff interesting makes me a nerd then...well...I already knew I was a nerd.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 1:41 pm 

As Irish detailed, the History Channel takes liberties with the truth, especially when it comes to fantastical new findings about Jesus. I would advise you to treat any religion based show on the History Channel as you would their shows on UFO's.

I'm completely serious in that assessment. If you were to come to their UFO shows with little to no knowledge of the subject matter, you would think alien spaceships were an accepted and well documented occurance. They present one side of an argument and usually get one rogue cleric to back a viewpoint in order to give it credibility. Did you ever wonder why they have that little, old, grey haired man with the Irish accent on for EVERY SINGLE show that references catholicism?

I like the History Channel. Unfortunately it is sensational rather than scholarly. I think it could be so much more if it was sholarly. However, a scholarly show would not be able to wrap up a discussion on such topics in one hour.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 1:57 pm 

Religion is boring.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 3:00 pm 
1000 CLUB

Quote:
As Irish detailed, the History Channel takes liberties with the truth, especially when it comes to fantastical new findings about Jesus. I would advise you to treat any religion based show on the History Channel as you would their shows on UFO's.

I'm completely serious in that assessment. If you were to come to their UFO shows with little to no knowledge of the subject matter, you would think alien spaceships were an accepted and well documented occurance. They present one side of an argument and usually get one rogue cleric to back a viewpoint in order to give it credibility. Did you ever wonder why they have that little, old, grey haired man with the Irish accent on for EVERY SINGLE show that references catholicism?

I like the History Channel. Unfortunately it is sensational rather than scholarly. I think it could be so much more if it was sholarly. However, a scholarly show would not be able to wrap up a discussion on such topics in one hour.

I think this is a function of the fact that there is only so much they can put on before repeating themselves. I'm not quite sure that the History Channel really needs to be a whole channel, but instead should be part of a more generic channel in the same vein as A&E. They have some garbage shows on, so you have to use your discretion, but it is an underrated channel overall.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 3:24 pm 

my only beef is that they run too much WWII stuff on THC.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 3:32 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
I find WWII to be one of the most interesting from a historical standpoint. I wish they would go more indepth on the subject than the general recycled info they use.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 4:02 pm 

W_Z wrote:
my only beef is that they run too much WWII stuff on THC.

I've heard it nicknamed The Hitler Channel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 4:06 pm 
1000 CLUB

Check out History International - better stuff, IMHO. In order that I check channels, it goes Military Channel, History International, and then History Channel.