It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 212 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2024 8:46 am 

pizza_Place: Ricobene's
Brick wrote:
I'll just have to go with you being wrong.

Yep. You do.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2024 8:51 am 

pizza_Place: Pequods
Tall Midget wrote:
The Doctor Of Style wrote:
Caleb Williams wasn't particularly impressive today either. Looked overmatched against the 2nd string defense of the Bengals. He also isn't particularly special when he has to throw out of the pocket either.

It was a little hard for me to tell if Williams needed to scramble as much as he did last night. I was surprised that Waldron called rollouts on the first two plays of the game. I definitely would have liked to see more passing from the pocket. The slant that Williams missed to Moore was a great pass, though, but the coverage was even better. Williams probably shouldn't have gone to Moore there, especially since Odunze was apparently coming open down field. The play-action bomb to Scott also appeared to be a perfect throw.

The ball placement on that PI play as well as the bomb to Odunze was absolutely perfect. He was hitting guys burning down the field without them having to break stride. Neither Fields nor (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky could do that. It's the type of thing we would see Aaron Rodgers do to us for over a decade. Yes it's preseason yada yada yada, but that ball placement from a QB to a running QR 40+ yards downfield is an elite skill and he has it.

That ball placement combined with Odunze's natural ball tracking abilities as a WR is going to be a deadly combo for years.

Last edited by Ogie Oglethorpe on Sun Aug 18, 2024 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2024 8:52 am 

Tall Midget wrote:
Caleb Williams wasn't particularly impressive today either. Looked overmatched against the 2nd string defense of the Bengals. He also isn't particularly special when he has to throw out of the pocket either.

It was a little hard for me to tell if Williams needed to scramble as much as he did last night. I was surprised that Waldron called rollouts on the first two plays of the game. I definitely would have liked to see more passing from the pocket. The slant that Williams missed to Moore was a great pass, though, but the coverage was even better. Williams probably shouldn't have gone to Moore there, especially since Odunze was apparently coming open down field. The play-action bomb to Scott also appeared to be a perfect throw.

In the first 2 games it seems like Waldron is specifically calling for designed rollouts to get Caleb Williams going. Which leads me to believe that he thinks that either the O-Line is a problem or Caleb's height is a problem. Won't really know for sure til the season starts if this is the plan going forward but it's apparent that the vast majority of his big plays have not been the result of his having to throw from the pocket.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2024 9:25 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
Tall Midget wrote:

In the first 2 games it seems like Waldron is specifically calling for designed rollouts to get Caleb Williams going. Which leads me to believe that he thinks that either the O-Line is a problem or Caleb's height is a problem. Won't really know for sure til the season starts if this is the plan going forward but it's apparent that the vast majority of his big plays have not been the result of his having to throw from the pocket.

The offensive line was certainly an issue last night, but I think Williams is probably more comfortable throwing on the move than he is throwing from the pocket.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2024 10:50 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
Tall Midget wrote:

I think Caleb has been trying to "play on time" when he's been in the pocket. The pass to Moore and some plays in the Bills game were the "right" plays, but there would have been better plays available if he waited a tick longer. I'm good with that. That should improve with some seasoning. While the offense failed to move the ball, I've seen nothing that says he has been overmatched.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

Mind you own damn business! -VP Walz

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2024 12:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Lino's
Caleb Williams is already ahead of Fields fundamentally, gets to his drop quicker, and is way quicker getting the ball out than Fields.

The most maddening thing about Fields continues to be how bad his footwork is for a guy that is a tremendous athlete.

Watching Fields and Mitch play last night you saw two guys that still cannot read and react at the QB1 level, they will always be somewhat limited as this latency in reaction time takes away throws over the middle unless a guy is wide open.

There is a bit of newness to the Bears offense as teams are trying to figure out what the Bears are going to do offensively, you already saw the Bengals try to take away the two short reads yesterday, expect teams to make him drop back and contain him in the pocket early.

Interesting to see the number of snaps that Velus Jones is getting, the backs will get a ton of catches in this offense and Jones would be a tough matchup for a DB or LB in the passing game. They also had him on special teams, did not think he would make the roster, but they are giving him every chance to find a niche.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2024 1:19 pm 
100000 CLUB

The film shows a few instances of Caleb attempting big game hunting when some easier throws were available. Only one of those plays had a poor outcome.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2024 1:30 pm 

Brick wrote:
RFDC wrote:
He also isn't particularly special when he has to throw out of the pocket either.

Allow me to channel my inner FavreFan here....did you even watch the game today?

He had 2 great throws while out of the pocket today.

Did you watch the game? And "out of the pocket" and "outside of the pocket" are 2 different things. When he has to make passes out of the pocket there hasn't been much there. And he couldn't get any traction against Cincinnati's 2nd string defense either. Not 1 first down during the first 4 possessions.

He had a passer rating of 64 for the game. No TD passes in 2 games. He had a few plays against the scrubs and that was about it. A lot of the "analysis" here has been way overboard to be honest.

What is the difference between "out of the pocket" and "outside the pocket"?

Out of the pocket is still considered to be between the tackles. Outside of the pocket isn't.

I am trying to wrap my mind around this. Isn't out of the pocket defined as outside of the tackles? I am not sure I am following you here. So when does it go from being out of the pocket to being outside of the pocket?

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2024 1:34 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
He is "football stupid", don't waste your time

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2024 1:37 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
Caller Bob wrote:

That's kind of where I'm at now. I think the guy is either just wanting to argue about anything just for kicks (probably because he's profoundly lonely), or simply doesn't know shit about football (which really isn't a problem for me, I don't know shit about basketball).
But profoundly lonely seems to be the most likely cause of his nature on this board.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2024 2:27 pm 

Darkside wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:

That's kind of where I'm at now. I think the guy is either just wanting to argue about anything just for kicks (probably because he's profoundly lonely), or simply doesn't know shit about football (which really isn't a problem for me, I don't know shit about basketball).
But profoundly lonely seems to be the most likely cause of his nature on this board.

"Weird" there is something "not quite right" about this dude.

Last edited by The Doctor Of Style on Sun Aug 18, 2024 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2024 2:30 pm 

RFDC wrote:
. So when does it go from being out of the pocket to being outside of the pocket?

When the QB passes outside of the tackles. And I don't want to get into a semantics argument about it. Passing "Out Of The Pocket" is synonymous with "passing from the pocket". And my point is that Williams has very few passes from the pocket in the first 2 games.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2024 3:28 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
Darkside wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:

It absolutely is profound loneliness. The rest of us have spouses and social lives outside of this board. He comes here as this is the only human interaction he can find outside of work.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2024 3:38 pm 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Darkside wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:

It absolutely is profound loneliness. The rest of us have spouses and social lives outside of this board. He comes here as this is the only human interaction he can find outside of work.

I live in Chicago. You live in Bentonville Ark. If you combined the Populations of each of you 3 dude's "outposts" you'd still come up with less people than "WE" have at our annual house picnic in July. The mere fact that you 3 dupes spend so much of your time concerned about what an anonymous poster says on a message board is illustrative of the fact that there isn't "much going on" wit ya bub.

And for the record being "married" is some of the most boring and in some cases, miserable shit that man has ever conceived. However I've always respected the rights of others to feel differently.
And if "Active social lives" is what either of you 3 sad sacks was aiming for, then you wouldn't live in Bentonville, Morris, or Lakemoor, "respectively". Nor would you spend as much time worried or concerned about how the "other" half of the world lives here.

Last edited by The Doctor Of Style on Sun Aug 18, 2024 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2024 3:45 pm 

Passing "Out Of The Pocket" is synonymous with "passing from the pocket".

Wtf?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2024 3:46 pm 

Brick wrote:

Wtf?

This is a really stupid thing to be fixated on.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2024 5:13 pm 

Brick wrote:

Wtf?

Is LTG Joe Biden?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2024 7:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Lino's
Nas wrote:
The film shows a few instances of Caleb attempting big game hunting when some easier throws were available. Only one of those plays had a poor outcome.

Saw quite a few boots where he had three level reads, this is a good way to get your QB into rhythm early in the game and you like the three options you have, do see him dropping it off to the back early and often, especially if you get the matchup you want. This of course depends on your OT pushing the DE inside, but the offense depends on the young OT's developing and staying healthy.

This is the play that Fields should have killed teams with, but he was too slow getting the ball to the back, could not throw the medium guy open, and could not keep the deep out throw in bounds, so he just ran the ball or turfed it at the backs feet.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2024 6:29 am 

remember also that the bengals saw the bears earlier in the week. I'd expect the d on both teams to be advantaged by that and it appeared that was true.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2024 9:22 am 

pizza_Place: Tombstone
Tall Midget wrote:

Calebs height is fine -he’s eye to eye with Patrick Mahomes. Also, roll outs aren’t used because play callers need to make up for the height of a QB. They’re used to cut the field in half for easier reads, or scrambling purposes. Either way, roll outs are a part of almost every offense in the NFL so it’s weird to single the Bears out for implementing it.

As for passing from the pocket, Caleb has more than a few passes that came from the pocket and looked perfectly fine. The come back route that went for a 1st down to Moore in Calebs debut came from the pocket, the big dump off to the RB in that same game came from the pocket, the deep throw to Odunze that was well placed and drew a PI in this last game game from the pocket and so on.. and if you actually watched him in college (and not just his highlight vids on YouTube) you’d know quite a bit of his passes actually came from the pocket and he was fine there too.

Passing from the pocket won’t be an issue for Caleb (outside of the line giving out), coming out from under center however is something he needs more time with. But that will come with time and experience.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2024 9:37 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
NME wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:

Calebs height is fine -he’s eye to eye with Patrick Mahomes. Also, roll outs aren’t used because play callers need to make up for the height of a QB. They’re used to cut the field in half for easier reads, or scrambling purposes. Either way, roll outs are a part of almost every offense in the NFL so it’s weird to single the Bears out for implementing it.

As for passing from the pocket, Caleb has more than a few passes that came from the pocket and looked perfectly fine. The come back route that went for a 1st down to Moore in Calebs debut came from the pocket, the big dump off to the RB in that same game came from the pocket, the deep throw to Odunze that was well placed and drew a PI in this last game game from the pocket and so on.. and if you actually watched him in college (and not just his highlight vids on YouTube) you’d know quite a bit of his passes actually came from the pocket and he was fine there too.

Passing from the pocket won’t be an issue for Caleb (outside of the line giving out), coming out from under center however is something he needs more time with. But that will come with time and experience.

JT O'Sullivan points out in his film breakdown that the pass was thrown to the wrong side of the receiver. It's true that Williams threw from the pocket frequently in college, although I don't recall him executing a lot of timing routes. On at least one play against the Bengals--the beautiful left sideline pass to Odunze--it looked like Williams scrambled when he didn't need to. He made an incredible play there, though, so it's hard to criticize him. But he certainly gave the defense an opportunity to take additional shots at him.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2024 10:09 am 

NME wrote:

Rollouts have always been used to give shorter QBs "clearer vision" and lanes with which to throw. Caleb Williams is no different.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2024 10:18 am 
100000 CLUB

That's what shotgun is for. There's no guarantee that a quarterback under 6'2" is athletic.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2024 10:25 am 

Nas wrote:
That's what shotgun is for. There's no guarantee that a quarterback under 6'2" is athletic.

Nah they roll shorter QBs out more often than taller QBs because they have difficulty seeing over the line. And it's odd that NME claims that his "height" isn't an issue when they put specific drills in that were designed to prevent him from getting so many of his passes tipped at the line of scrimmage. Something which has been an issue throughout training camp.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2024 10:25 am 

NME wrote:

Rollouts have always been used to give shorter QBs "clearer vision" and lanes with which to throw. Caleb Williams is no different.

Any QB who has decent athletic ability gets rollouts called for them.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2024 10:28 am 

Brick wrote:
NME wrote:

Any QB who has decent athletic ability gets rollouts called for them.

Brick give it a rest. You're not "educating" me about anything

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2024 10:30 am 
100000 CLUB

Nas wrote:

Nah they roll shorter QBs out more often than taller QBs because they have difficulty seeing over the line. And it's odd that NME claims that his "height" isn't an issue when they put specific drills in that were designed to prevent him from getting so many of his passes tipped at the line of scrimmage. Something which has been an issue throughout training camp.

The rollout is frequently used for quarterbacks like (Pro Bowl QB) Trubisky and Fields because they can't read defenses. It cuts the field in half, which should theoretically make it easier for them. The shotgun is for vertically challenged quarterbacks to get more space.

They put drills in because the Bears likely have the tallest 3 technique in the NFL.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2024 10:31 am 

pizza_Place: John's
Nas wrote:

The perfect deep ball to Scott (PI) was a pass from in the pocket. You would know that if you watched Bears games instead of scouting stat lines.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2024 10:31 am 

NME wrote:

https://chicago.suntimes.com/bears/2024 ... uarterback

Quote:
For all of Williams’ unique playmaking ability, he stands only 6-1. Standing still in the pocket, Williams has to throw over blockers and rushers who are taller than he is. He has had more passes tipped at the line of scrimmage during camp than Fields ever did.

On Saturday, the Bears gave Williams another challenge. During seven-on-seven drills, they had four staffers stand at the line of scrimmage and hold blocking pads in the air to simulate the arms of defensive linemen with him in the pocket.

‘‘There’s real throwing lanes in real football,’’ Eberflus said. ‘‘We started to implement those pads just to simulate passing lanes and different arm angles he might have to use during the course of 11-on-11, team [drills] and then in the game.’’

This is an admittance that his height is a problem.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2024 10:33 am 

Caller Bob wrote:
Nas wrote:

The perfect deep ball to Scott (PI) was a pass from in the pocket. You would know that if you watched Bears games instead of scouting stat lines.

And yet the majority of his completions have come outside the pocket. Hmmm

Last edited by The Doctor Of Style on Mon Aug 19, 2024 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 212 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next