It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:39 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:24 pm 

Quote:
While all of this Rex talk is good for the boards.. I want to make sure we don't lose sight of a deficiency on the Bears that is as likely to doom the Bears season as Grossman's interceptions. Peanut Tillman.

He has consistently made the defense look subpar at times this year and has been involved in many blown coverages. Yesterday, he seemed to make the decision to play tight on #87, I think, and when he was left stuck in the mud at the line of scrimmage, only a poorly thrown pass by Brady prevented a score.

Peanut gets a bad rap. He definitely blows coverage on occasion, but so does every corner. He hauled in two interceptions, knocked a would-be touchdown pass away, and helped stop the run yesterday. Hardly a bad game for a corner.

Peanut or no, this team has given up more than 20 points twice this year, and both times it was hampered by a ton of turnovers by the offense. The defense is not the primary concern, in my mind.

The landowner effectively owns part shares in millions of part-time slaves called, "taxpayers." -Roy L
A Personal Relationship with Jesus?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:28 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Quote:
Peanut gets a bad rap. He definitely blows coverage on occasion, but so does every corner.

Agreed. I think Peanut is having a pretty good year. My only problem with him last night is giving up that late 1st down to Caldwell on the 3rd down where he was playing about 8 yards off him. But, Peanut made some big plays last night.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:32 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
A couple quick stats to compare -

Attempts per interception -
2005 (full season)- 27.9
2006 (11 games) - 25.4

Yards per attempt -
2005- 5.3
2006- 6.9

Disturbing how close these stats are to each other, don't you think?

Actually based on the fact that everyone (generalizing) attributes the Bears success last year on the defense and the fact that the offense didn't want to make mistakes, I would think this number wouldn't be close at all with all the uproar over turnovers this year.

Well, the attempts per interception is about equal, but the bears attempt more passes this year. At least last year they were smart enough to realize that interceptions kill and throw less.

The landowner effectively owns part shares in millions of part-time slaves called, "taxpayers." -Roy L

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:34 pm 

MattInTheCrown wrote:
.. this team has given up more than 20 points twice this year...

I know the defense is very good.. they've given up the fewest points in the NFC.. but if production is a valid measuring stick for a team, I would say that having the second most points scored in the NFC counts for something. Considering the Grossman is second in the conference behind Brees for the most touchdown passes thrown, I'd say this is a good thing.

Take five weeks.. give him time to work out his happy feet.. head into the postseason on a high.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:42 pm 

Quote:
Matt you already know what you have in Griese. He has played in 80 games.

Fine. Let's go with that: we have a QB with a passer rating 10 points better than Grossman's, and with a better completion percentage. If you're going by historical numbers, you should make the change. I'm not that confident, however: I just think they need to give it a try and see. They have 5 cake games coming up, and I think they can get him in here in the next couple.

Quote:
You don't know what you have in Grossman yet. He isn't a finished product. That's why you continue to let him learn. His upside is a lot better than what Griese is right now as a finished product.

I'm afraid he is, Nas. It'd be one thing if I was seeing progress, but I'm not. He's not progressing at all. That's why I stuck with him when he first started to struggle; I understand he's inexperienced. But with the end of the regular season rapidly approaching, and Rex regressing, I don't like the playoff prospects.

Quote:
The Bears will win the division and more likely than not have home field advantage. That is why you give him the opportunity to fix his problems. When Grossman is on the Bears are unbeatable. He has been on in 7 games. He just needs to learn how to be consistent.

He's had an opportunity to fix his problems. Hell, it used to just be bad decision making; now he's added in bad accuracy to the mix. He's getting worse. Worse! I'm starting to feel rather strongly that the early season was an aberration, and last night was the "real" Rex. You say he needs to be consistent, but have you considered that good play might be his inconsistent state? It's looking that way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:47 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
.. this team has given up more than 20 points twice this year...

I know the defense is very good.. they've given up the fewest points in the NFC.. but if production is a valid measuring stick for a team, I would say that having the second most points scored in the NFC counts for something. Considering the Grossman is second in the conference behind Brees for the most touchdown passes thrown, I'd say this is a good thing.

I agree, but I still think that's misleading. The defense not only doesn't allow the other team to score, but they frequently put the offense in good position to score.

Quote:
Take five weeks.. give him time to work out his happy feet.. head into the postseason on a high.

I don't think he'll progress, and then it will be too late to do anything. Urlacher will be another year older, and Briggs may be gone next year. I just get a bad feeling about this; I am very confident that Grossman will drag this team down (not saying that Griese wont, but I think the window is such that they have to give it a try). In my mind, there's no way Grossman beats 3 straight playoff teams.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:58 pm 
1000 CLUB

That's a great point Nas. The first pick wasn't a god awful throw. In fact I thought Berrian could have fought harder and at least broke it up.

There was a play in the game where Rex stuck in there until the last second and got drilled. He hit Berrian on a quick curl route. The Ball was released before Berrian turned. Right on the numbers. It was pretty. Pressure will be the down fall of all QB's. My advice is the line needs to play better. No QB can do well if their in his face all day. Show me that QB.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:04 pm 

Nas wrote:
Grossman has had 7 good/great games and 3 bad/terrible games. I've seen progress. He handles pressure better and he doesn't throw the ball up when he is about to be sacked. That was the biggest issue with me. His turnovers were not the result of pressure yesterday. He actually did a good job when he was pressured. He just wasn't as accurate as he normally is.

I hope you are right and according to you, you almost always are, but you must admit he had looked like a completely different QB since the start of the Arizona game.

My question is this: How many more bad games can he have for the rest of the regular season and keep his job? My opinion is another bad game and we have to try something different. Can he have 2 more 4 turnover games? 3? The problem I have is that it seems that some people seem to think there is no reason, barring injury, to ever pull Rex. At what point, does Griese become a valid option? Is Rex really that good to be given unlimited mistakes?

I really hope Rex turns it around but I just don't see it. He doesn't really seem to be trying to limit mistakes, besides the Jets game. I don't think he knows how to play QB without playing recklessly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:05 pm 

Bad things happen when NFL coaches can study film on you (and that goes for Turner, too.)

Things are not trending well for Rex.

Code:

Acc.     TD    Int        Rtng

September (3 games)    64.9      6      3        100.9
October (4 games)      55.6      7      4         81
November (4 games)     48.4      5      7        57.1

Worst stat: 4th-quarter QB rating 35.7.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Pete's
nas, why are you comparing this years offense to last years? last years offense may have been one of the top 5 worst offenses ever in the history of football! IMO grossman has had 6 great/good games. meaning he's had 5 bad games. that's too many. grossman has not progressed! and as far as the bears being unbeatable when he's on is ridiculous because with their defense they're unbeatable with nearly any nfl qb being "on."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:31 pm 

i change my statement. he's had 4 bad games and the jets game you can't rate because turner had the pop warner offense implemented. i'll blame that one on turner.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:32 pm 
1000 CLUB

If you are saying the Jets game was bad then you are wrong. What Grossman did in that game is the argument for bringing in Griese. Grossman had 1 TD and 0 INT's. He had a 82 QB rating.

Bad games
Arizona

Miami

New England

The Minnesota game was bad but he saved it in the end so I'll make it an average game. That's it. The rest have been good to great games.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:40 pm 

Beardown wrote:
If you are saying the Jets game was bad then you are wrong. What Grossman did in that game is the argument for bringing in Griese. Grossman had 1 TD and 0 INT's. He had a 82 QB rating.

Bad games
Arizona

Miami

New England

The Minnesota game was bad but he saved it in the end so I'll make it an average game. That's it. The rest have been good to great games.

11-22 for 119 yard against the 29th ranked defense in the nfl. bears put up 10 points for the LEAST amount of points by an opponent of the jets this year. i'm not blaming rex but this was a horrible offensive game!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:44 pm 

i ranked the minnesota game as bad because he nearly threw 5 pics and almost lost the game. they won but rex still had a bad game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:52 pm 

5 should of been int's and the game winning touchdown because he threw a possible game losing interception for a touchdown on the previous series. any other playoff qb in the nfl calls that a bad game but because we haven't had a decent qb in 10 years we call it was a good game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:55 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
john, I didnt even read the rest of your post when you said 5 should have been 5 ints......But they weren't, so don't label it a bad game. We can shoulda on a lot of things.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:01 pm 

there's a huge difference: a dropped pass is an acurate pass. a should of been int is a non-completion and inacurate pass. passes that are thrown closer to the opponent than the intended reciever are an indicator that your qb is not good! either way he threw 2 picks that day!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:01 pm 

there's a huge difference: a dropped pass is an acurate pass. a should of been int is a non-completion and inacurate pass. passes that are thrown closer to the opponent than the intended reciever are an indicator that your qb is not good! either way he threw 2 picks that day!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:19 pm 

Quote:
Because you like to discredit everything Grossman does Matt I decided to look up some stats. Grossman has led the Bears to 20 scoring drives of 60+ yards(14 touchdowns 6 field goals). His longest scoring drive was 86(he had one for 89 that didn't result in a score) and the average of those 14 touchdown drives was 73.4. How many touch down drives of 60+ yards did the Bears have last year? Five.

How many 50+ yard catches does Berrian have again? Grossman rarely has sustained drives, especially in the last month or so. Early in the season they moved the ball well; lately, the only way they move the ball is via the bomb or with the rushing game. Too bad the bomb gets intercepted 1/3 of the time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:44 am 
1000 CLUB

I think they should stick with Rex. I agree with Nas, I have seen progress. He handles the pressure better, and he doesn't throw up those prayers anymore. Turner said he called a bad game, how do you know the Bears weren't gameplanned to go deep against a depleted secondary? Rex has the experience of a second year QB, he went 2-1 on a tough east coast road trip, and should have beaten the best team in the NFL the last 5 years. The team is 9-2, everyone needs to relax.

I wouldn't disagree pulling Rex in a game if he clearly is playing terrible like in Arizona. But he starts again the following game. Holiding him accoutnable for making bad desicions is a good thing.

And in closing, PLEASE start Benson already. The guy punishes defenders, Jones just gets punished.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:52 am 

pizza_Place: Boboli
Has Rex ever thrown to a check-down receiver? I honestly don't recall.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:20 pm 

Quote:
I think they should stick with Rex. I agree with Nas, I have seen progress. He handles the pressure better, and he doesn't throw up those prayers anymore. Turner said he called a bad game, how do you know the Bears weren't gameplanned to go deep against a depleted secondary? Rex has the experience of a second year QB, he went 2-1 on a tough east coast road trip, and should have beaten the best team in the NFL the last 5 years. The team is 9-2, everyone needs to relax.

You said it best here. Should have. Your defense gets you 5, count them, 5 turnovers, and you still lose. Not good. I call that a harbinger. I don't think the Patriots are as good as the Ravens, Colts, or Chargers, either. Those teams would have beat the Bears much worse, given that QB performance. The Bears cannot afford to turn the ball over frequently, and Rex simply has the propensity to turn it over. In my mind, it's as simple as that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:35 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
My God, this thread is still going strong... :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:26 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
i think most of us are nuts when it comes to Rex and the QB thing.
does Griese give the Bears the best chance to win? i don't think so.

Unless you saw McMahon (who was barely "good") or Kramer's one season or Miller's one season, there is no comparison to anyone who's been a damn at the position for the Bears.

so, we have this young QB who makes dumb throws from time to time.
YEAH!!!!
that's what young QB's do.
he's the guy right now. he may not be the guy 2 years from now, but that's what the Bears are trying to figure out NOW....
the Bears just happen to be a good team, so every Rex mistake is a glaring one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:40 pm 

All this talk is meaningless. Lovie unequivically said that Rex is his QB.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:12 pm 

Quote:
For some reason no one wants to post unless they have something to bitch about.

I don't know why this is. I'll check here after the game regardless of the outcome, but there'll be very few new posts, and when I post, virtually no replies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:18 pm 

Quote:
i think most of us are nuts when it comes to Rex and the QB thing.
does Griese give the Bears the best chance to win? i don't think so.

Unless you saw McMahon (who was barely "good") or Kramer's one season or Miller's one season, there is no comparison to anyone who's been a damn at the position for the Bears.

so, we have this young QB who makes dumb throws from time to time.
YEAH!!!!
that's what young QB's do.
he's the guy right now. he may not be the guy 2 years from now, but that's what the Bears are trying to figure out NOW....
the Bears just happen to be a good team, so every Rex mistake is a glaring one.

The concern is the Superbowl. I think most Bears fans recognize the fact that the Bears have sucked ass for most of the last 10 years, and the few times they didn't, they usually got pasted in the playoffs and sucked ass the subsequent year. Everyone recognizes that this team has Superbowl potential, and to see our young quarterback continue to make mistakes that will prohibit them from winning three straight games against good teams is a serious concern.

Costly turnovers lead to ass-beatings in the playoffs. Rex Grossman is a costly-turnover factory. It's no mystery why so many fans here are concerned with the QB position.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next