It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 4:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1390 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30 ... 47  Next
 Post subject: Re: Fire Ryan Poles
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2023 4:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Do you mean next off-season where he tries to correct mistakes he made this off-season?

Mistakes:

failing to sign his top OL targets leaving us with a below average line yet again

Failing to grab the former consensus no 1 pick (Carter) when that pick fell into his lap at #9(!) due to off the field issues. Picking Carter would have been both a draft talent and a draft for need type of pick simultaneously.

Failing to have a QB plan that wasn't "let's see what Fields can do"

Failing to draft talent at WR (Venus Helmet Jones) resulting in Poles burning a second round pick on a guy that is universally derided as a malcontent and fraud. Both Jones and Claypool likely won't be on the roster next year.

So he may or may not correct those self inflicted mistakes and you wanna pat him on the back for it?

Kyrie Irving will never win anything as a team's alpha: check
T.rubisky is a bust: check
Ben Simmons is a liability: check
The Fields Cult is dumb: double check

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2023 4:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
If the Texans are any benchmark, Bears are at the beginning of the rebuild. Texans have picked near the top of each round of the draft--minus a few traded away 1st rounders, but + some later round picks picked up in those trades--4 of the last 6 seasons and everyone's acting like Houston still needs to tank more to get there.

Bears should do what the Orioles did: hire some Astros front-office cast-offs. Those guys know how to tank and rebuild.

how bad is the AFC South that winning 3 or 4 games still isn't sufficiently bad to be last in the division.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2023 5:14 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
I like the occasional reminder that Poles’ first move in fixing his oline was trying to run his best lineman off the team.

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2023 5:32 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
veganfan21 wrote:
Do you mean next off-season where he tries to correct mistakes he made this off-season?

Mistakes:

failing to sign his top OL targets leaving us with a below average line yet again

Failing to grab the former consensus no 1 pick (Carter) when that pick fell into his lap at #9(!) due to off the field issues. Picking Carter would have been both a draft talent and a draft for need type of pick simultaneously.

Failing to have a QB plan that wasn't "let's see what Fields can do"

Failing to draft talent at WR (Venus Helmet Jones) resulting in Poles burning a second round pick on a guy that is universally derided as a malcontent and fraud. Both Jones and Claypool likely won't be on the roster next year.

So he may or may not correct those self inflicted mistakes and you wanna pat him on the back for it?

Why is it a mistake that he refused to overpay for free agent guys? He's not trying to make the Bears a winner overnight.

I didn't like Carter before he proved to be lazy scum. It looks like I was wrong about his talent. That said, there is no guarantee he would be having similar success in a Bears uniform this season. In addition to that, if Poles drafted him instead of the offensive tackles that were on the board, we would hear the Fields Cult crying about Poles not putting talent around Fields. Poles eliminated any reasonable Fields excuse.

The plan is to draft a QB if Fields sucks. There are supposedly multiple prospects who are can't miss guys in the 2024 draft.

The Velus Jones pick was AWFUL, but how many organizations get beat up for failed late 3rd round picks? I still don't think Claypool is the problem. I recognize I'm on this island alone. When your quarterback is incapable of passing the ball, everyone looks terrible, including the DJ Moores of the world.

You can't reasonably compare the roster, draft capital, and cap space to what Poles inherited 18 months ago and conclude the Bears aren't in a significantly better position.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

Mind you own damn business! -VP Walz

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2023 5:40 pm 

There’s an objective way to judge a football team.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2023 5:54 pm 
100000 CLUB

This Ends in Antioch wrote:

The W/L record of a gutted team is meaningless.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2023 5:59 pm 

Nas wrote:

That sounds subjective.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2023 6:02 pm 

pizza_Place: Enzo's big fat fucking chicken parm rolls
I wonder how the bears compare to the rest of the league in any meaningful offensive or defensive category.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2023 6:04 pm 
100000 CLUB

Nas wrote:

That sounds subjective.

Not at all. Demanding wins from a team intentionally constructed to lose is ridiculous. Especially when you know the team is built to lose. Demanding effort is different. We saw effort across the board last season. We haven't seen a lot of it in the first 3 games.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2023 6:06 pm 

TriColoredPastas wrote:
I wonder how the bears compare to the rest of the league in any meaningful offensive or defensive category.

What's there to wonder about. Just Google "Chicago Bears", note all the initial articles and tweets that use words like "disaster", "train wreck", and "fire everyone" and I'm sure that will give you a sense of the stats and rankings.

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2023 6:07 pm 

Nas wrote:
Nas wrote:

That sounds subjective.

Not at all. Demanding wins from a team intentionally constructed to lose is ridiculous. Especially when you know the team is built to lose. Demanding effort is different. We saw effort across the board last season. We haven't seen a lot of it in the first 3 games.

I would say effort and building blocks. Do we have any legit building blocks besides a few guys in the secondary, the guy we chose over Carter, and...is there anyone else. Asking seriously.

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2023 6:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Enzo's big fat fucking chicken parm rolls
veganfan21 wrote:
TriColoredPastas wrote:

What's there to wonder about. Just Google "Chicago Bears", note all the initial articles and tweets that use words like "disaster", "train wreck", and "fire everyone" and I'm sure that will give you a sense of the stats and rankings.

Oh okay I wasn't sure.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2023 6:13 pm 
100000 CLUB

veganfan21 wrote:
Nas wrote:
Nas wrote:

That sounds subjective.

I would say effort and building blocks. Do we have any legit building blocks besides a few guys in the secondary, the guy we chose over Carter, and...is there anyone else. Asking seriously.

DJ Moore
Braxton Jones
Brisker
Stevenson
Johnson
Wright
Edmunds

The jury is out on every other acquisition.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2023 6:17 pm 

Nas wrote:
Nas wrote:

That sounds subjective.

Effort is the baseline. Nobody should get credit for trying.

Legitimate NFL talent is what you want to see and it’s not clear to me Poles has added more than 3 or 4 guys who fit that description.

If you’re going to credit a guy for intentionally gutting a team to accumulate resources, you should hold him accountable for using those resources.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2023 6:27 pm 
100000 CLUB

Nas wrote:
Nas wrote:

That sounds subjective.

Effort is the baseline. Nobody should get credit for trying.

Legitimate NFL talent is what you want to see and it’s not clear to me Poles has added more than 3 or 4 guys who fit that description.

If you’re going to credit a guy for intentionally gutting a team to accumulate resources, you should hold him accountable for using those resources.

I am. I listed the legitimate NFL building blocks. That list could grow if players improve. I think that's solid for 18 months.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2023 6:44 pm 

I don’t know how you can say the rookies or the perpetually injured are proven building blocks.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2023 6:52 pm 
100000 CLUB

I don’t know how you can say the rookies or the perpetually injured are proven building blocks.

That's fair. We've seen the potential when healthy.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2023 6:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
Tall Midget wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:
They're not going to fire Poles after two seasons where it seems he was given explicit permission to be as bad as humanly possible for at least one of those seasons. If you think that statement is accurate, this season is not a total disaster for two reasons. One, they've had at least two questions answered: neither Eberflus nor Fields is going to be around long term. Two, they're bad enough that they will be able to take a third run at a top of the draft quarterback.

The consensus coming into the season seemed to be that the Bears would be improved, but still miss the playoffs. Whether they miss the playoffs by going 3 and 14 or miss the playoffs by going 6 and 11, it really doesn't matter to me so long as Poles fully accepts that the coach and QB are busts.

Your analysis makes sense until you begin to look at Poles' record of talent evaluation so far. He took a big swing on Douche Claypool and seems to have missed. He preferred Gordon and Brisker to Pickens. He thought PJ Walker would be an acceptable backup QB. He passed on Jalen Carter, who was ideally suited for Eberflus' one-gap system, only to reach on Dexter, who had exclusively played a two-gap system in college. And this is just the tip of the iceberg.

Poles may have been given more than one tank season by George, but was he also granted the right to miss on so many personnel decisions?

The early returns on his personnel decisions are not good. However, I think it's about one season too early to declare him a bad GM (some of his acquisitions can still develop and he can have a good draft). Also, and more importantly, if you fire him after two seasons, one of which was spent tanking, what kind of candidate are you going to get to replace him? Any top candidate is going to wait for the next opportunity and you will be shopping once again in the Pace/Poles bin.

The Bears are probably going to have two top-5 picks in the 2024 draft. That fact alone suggests the Bears' GM position would be attractive to just about any candidate for the job.

We'll see. Having a top five pick wasn't enough to save Poles in the scenario we're discussing. I think that will be noted by other candidates.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2023 2:29 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
The Washington Post weighs in on the Bears' dysfunction...

A reckoning is coming for the brass of the Chicago Bears.

Not for the owners of the hapless NFL franchise, mind you, as there are virtually no consequences for football oligarchs, regardless of how feckless their leadership may be. But those tapped by the McCaskey family to oversee their roster and manage the football product already are imperiled in the eyes of many of their colleagues around the league — for good reason — and there is a growing suspicion that team president Kevin Warren has seen enough to realize another reboot is in order.

Warren, highly esteemed from his time running the Minnesota Vikings, joined the Bears in January after serving as Big Ten commissioner, and the frugal McCaskeys are loath to eat big money by firing coaches and executives with years remaining on their contracts. However, this is no ordinary Bears implosion. Chicago has lost 13 straight games, and its defense has allowed at least 25 points in each of them. Defensive coordinator Alan Williams left the team under bizarre circumstances last week. There’s an obvious disconnect between quarterback Justin Fields and this coaching staff, and first-time head coach Matt Eberflus (who has gone 3-17 since taking the job in 2022) and rookie general manager Ryan Poles are struggling to make a compelling case for why they should keep their jobs.

“Kevin has seen enough to clean it out,” said one NFL GM, who is not authorized to speak publicly about other teams’ management decisions and structures, on the condition of anonymity. “It’s my understanding that he has the power to do it, and the coach and GM can’t go around him to ownership. Maybe he feels a little pressure to keep Poles, but he sees how [messed] up it is there, and the more attention all of this gets, the easier it is for him to do what he has to do.”

Much of this rot may be rooted in yet another bizarre hiring process that somehow netted this history-making tandem of coach and GM. After waiting too long to fire coach Matt Nagy, the Bears commissioned an awkward process with longtime chief executive Ted Phillips (already transitioning toward retirement) seemingly at the helm and Hall of Fame former executive Bill Polian commandeering the interviews. Trace Armstrong, a former Bears defensive end who’s now an agent for coaches and general managers, also held influence in the process, according to the GM who spoke under the condition of anonymity.

“This was always doomed,” said another NFL executive, who was a candidate for the Bears’ GM position and remains in the league. His employer would not permit him to speak freely about another team’s inner workings. “Remember, you had Ted running one search, and then it really was like Polian running his own search … at the same time, and then everyone is wondering if they’re just going to hire one of Trace’s guys, no matter what.”

Of course, this regime is hardly alone in its futility. The Bears have one playoff win since they reached the Super Bowl after the 2006 season and just seven postseason berths since 1992. Losing is their brand. It’s how fast Eberflus and Poles have sunk that’s most remarkable, even by Bears standards, and their ousters feel about as inevitable as Matt Rhule’s in Carolina this time a year ago.

On Sunday, the Bears are 3½-point underdogs at home against Denver, despite the winless Broncos yielding 70 points and 726 yards Sunday. The Bears have been outscored 437-247 during this slump, and their past six losses have been by an average of 21.3 points. They have failed to score more than 20 points in nine straight games and have been held to 17 or fewer in six of them.

The staff would let you believe it’s all about the limited quarterback they inherited, but Eberflus’s defense has been the bigger disaster. A longtime defensive coordinator and assistant, Eberflus is back to calling the coverages, and his vanilla approach is fooling no one. The Bears have one sack all season and, per TruMedia, they lead the NFL in the percentage of plays in cover-two since Week 1 of 2022 — a scheme that offenses have become increasingly adept at picking apart.

Since Eberflus arrived, Chicago is last in the league in yards allowed per play, yards per attempt and points per game. The defense has given up a staggering 53 more points than any other team in that span. The Bears have allowed 90 more first-half points than the league average since the start of 2022; Fields (5-23 as a starter) is constantly playing from behind, which compounds the team’s issues developing the remarkably athletic quarterback.

Much was made of Fields mentioning coaching as part of the Bears’ issues entering Week 3, but his usage has been even more concerning than his on-field performance. Chicago’s offense showed a pulse last season by leaning into Fields’s superior running ability in option looks with designed quarterback runs. It set up deep shots off play-action and downfield passes, with Fields ranging outside the pocket and drawing defenders to him.

Yet through the first two weeks of this season, Fields’s pass percentage outside the pocket went from 38 percent (in 2022) to 19 percent, and his play-action percentage went from 34 percent to 11 percent. His attempts over 10 air yards went from 38 percent to 19 percent, and he went from five designed runs per game to two and 11 rushing attempts to 6.5. “It’s crazy,” the opposing GM said of how Fields has been deployed. “It’s almost like going out of your way not to put him in position to succeed.” The viral clip of Bucs linebacker Devin White’s on-field bewilderment about how Bears receiver DJ Moore was being used — and Moore’s candid reaction — spoke volumes, too.

And then Sunday, Chiefs Coach Andy Reid, with Nagy as offensive coordinator, whipped Eberflus’s defense, putting up 456 yards in a 41-10 win. It rendered any further experimentation with Fields a moot point.

It’s not entirely bleak for the Bears, however, with the No. 1 pick — and a shot at a generational quarterback prospect of their choosing — a distinct possibility. That raises the question of whether this coach and GM should have anything to say or do with that. And even Bill Polian surely knows the correct answer to that query.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2023 2:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
Pretty much says it all.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2023 2:37 pm 
1000 CLUB

The stuff about Warren being entrusted with the authority to clean house was surprising to me. I'm not sure that I believe it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2023 2:39 pm 

Tall Midget wrote:
The stuff about Warren being entrusted with the authority to clean house was surprising to me. I'm not sure that I believe it.

I am not sure I believe it either and if true how would another GM know enough about this shitshow to know that answer

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2023 2:44 pm 
1000 CLUB

RFDC wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:

I am not sure I believe it either and if true how would another GM know enough about this shitshow to know that answer

Good question. Even though he seems like a douchebag, I assume that Warren has some friends in the league. It's possible he's shared this information with them.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2023 4:32 pm 

pizza_Place: Lino's
Cannot see Eberflus surviving, he's 2-3 years behind the league, he will be lucky to get a job as a position coach next season.

Poles is a more difficult question, after all George fell in love with the guy, even drove to the airport to pick him up, not sure if he will let Warren launch him.

Funny how we do not hear this type of stuff from the esteemed "Bears Media", but in many ways the podcast world has made them irrelevant.

The only chance for this organization is to let Warren clean house and bring in a HC and GM together who have a similar vision. The only reason George should enter the war room is to bring coffee and snacks.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2023 4:36 pm 

That fuckin cracker wouldnt bring nothin but granola bars and fresca. You keep chonky honky in his office and cut the phone line.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2023 4:48 pm 

pizza_Place: What??
Tall Midget wrote:

Washington Post and their history of anonymous sources being completely wrong. I hate to paint the sports division in the same shade as their fake news division, but oh well, it is what it is.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2023 5:04 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Homemade 2. Jewels
Tall Midget wrote:
The Washington Post weighs in on the Bears' dysfunction...

A reckoning is coming for the brass of the Chicago Bears.

Not for the owners of the hapless NFL franchise, mind you, as there are virtually no consequences for football oligarchs, regardless of how feckless their leadership may be. But those tapped by the McCaskey family to oversee their roster and manage the football product already are imperiled in the eyes of many of their colleagues around the league — for good reason — and there is a growing suspicion that team president Kevin Warren has seen enough to realize another reboot is in order.

Warren, highly esteemed from his time running the Minnesota Vikings, joined the Bears in January after serving as Big Ten commissioner, and the frugal McCaskeys are loath to eat big money by firing coaches and executives with years remaining on their contracts. However, this is no ordinary Bears implosion. Chicago has lost 13 straight games, and its defense has allowed at least 25 points in each of them. Defensive coordinator Alan Williams left the team under bizarre circumstances last week. There’s an obvious disconnect between quarterback Justin Fields and this coaching staff, and first-time head coach Matt Eberflus (who has gone 3-17 since taking the job in 2022) and rookie general manager Ryan Poles are struggling to make a compelling case for why they should keep their jobs.

“Kevin has seen enough to clean it out,” said one NFL GM, who is not authorized to speak publicly about other teams’ management decisions and structures, on the condition of anonymity. “It’s my understanding that he has the power to do it, and the coach and GM can’t go around him to ownership. Maybe he feels a little pressure to keep Poles, but he sees how [messed] up it is there, and the more attention all of this gets, the easier it is for him to do what he has to do.”

Much of this rot may be rooted in yet another bizarre hiring process that somehow netted this history-making tandem of coach and GM. After waiting too long to fire coach Matt Nagy, the Bears commissioned an awkward process with longtime chief executive Ted Phillips (already transitioning toward retirement) seemingly at the helm and Hall of Fame former executive Bill Polian commandeering the interviews. Trace Armstrong, a former Bears defensive end who’s now an agent for coaches and general managers, also held influence in the process, according to the GM who spoke under the condition of anonymity.

“This was always doomed,” said another NFL executive, who was a candidate for the Bears’ GM position and remains in the league. His employer would not permit him to speak freely about another team’s inner workings. “Remember, you had Ted running one search, and then it really was like Polian running his own search … at the same time, and then everyone is wondering if they’re just going to hire one of Trace’s guys, no matter what.”

Of course, this regime is hardly alone in its futility. The Bears have one playoff win since they reached the Super Bowl after the 2006 season and just seven postseason berths since 1992. Losing is their brand. It’s how fast Eberflus and Poles have sunk that’s most remarkable, even by Bears standards, and their ousters feel about as inevitable as Matt Rhule’s in Carolina this time a year ago.

On Sunday, the Bears are 3½-point underdogs at home against Denver, despite the winless Broncos yielding 70 points and 726 yards Sunday. The Bears have been outscored 437-247 during this slump, and their past six losses have been by an average of 21.3 points. They have failed to score more than 20 points in nine straight games and have been held to 17 or fewer in six of them.

The staff would let you believe it’s all about the limited quarterback they inherited, but Eberflus’s defense has been the bigger disaster. A longtime defensive coordinator and assistant, Eberflus is back to calling the coverages, and his vanilla approach is fooling no one. The Bears have one sack all season and, per TruMedia, they lead the NFL in the percentage of plays in cover-two since Week 1 of 2022 — a scheme that offenses have become increasingly adept at picking apart.

Since Eberflus arrived, Chicago is last in the league in yards allowed per play, yards per attempt and points per game. The defense has given up a staggering 53 more points than any other team in that span. The Bears have allowed 90 more first-half points than the league average since the start of 2022; Fields (5-23 as a starter) is constantly playing from behind, which compounds the team’s issues developing the remarkably athletic quarterback.

Much was made of Fields mentioning coaching as part of the Bears’ issues entering Week 3, but his usage has been even more concerning than his on-field performance. Chicago’s offense showed a pulse last season by leaning into Fields’s superior running ability in option looks with designed quarterback runs. It set up deep shots off play-action and downfield passes, with Fields ranging outside the pocket and drawing defenders to him.

Yet through the first two weeks of this season, Fields’s pass percentage outside the pocket went from 38 percent (in 2022) to 19 percent, and his play-action percentage went from 34 percent to 11 percent. His attempts over 10 air yards went from 38 percent to 19 percent, and he went from five designed runs per game to two and 11 rushing attempts to 6.5. “It’s crazy,” the opposing GM said of how Fields has been deployed. “It’s almost like going out of your way not to put him in position to succeed.” The viral clip of Bucs linebacker Devin White’s on-field bewilderment about how Bears receiver DJ Moore was being used — and Moore’s candid reaction — spoke volumes, too.

And then Sunday, Chiefs Coach Andy Reid, with Nagy as offensive coordinator, whipped Eberflus’s defense, putting up 456 yards in a 41-10 win. It rendered any further experimentation with Fields a moot point.

It’s not entirely bleak for the Bears, however, with the No. 1 pick — and a shot at a generational quarterback prospect of their choosing — a distinct possibility. That raises the question of whether this coach and GM should have anything to say or do with that. And even Bill Polian surely knows the correct answer to that query.

I had no clue Trace Armstrong was involved in this. If so what a mistake. I assume he is NOT also Mike McDaniel's agent?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2023 5:06 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Nardi wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:

Washington Post and their history of anonymous sources being completely wrong. I hate to paint the sports division in the same shade as their fake news division, but oh well, it is what it is.

Everything in that article sounds plausible. If I am Warren, I would want to run these guys out of town as soon as possible to avoid getting caught up in their stench. Now practically, you need to wait until the end of the season when there will be more coaching talent available.

There is no way I let these guys ruin the next draft or spend cap space poorly.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2023 5:09 pm 

Why would anybody want Warren making football decisions?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2023 5:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Why would anybody want Warren making football decisions?

As opposed to George? I assume Warren will talk to knowledgeable people across the NFL and make an unbiased selection for GM.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1390 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30 ... 47  Next