It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:00 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Mini Ditka wrote:
Swing bands were also part of this big band resurgence.

One time I was at Martyr's for the Big "C" Jamboree because a couple of my friends were playing. The headliner that week was a rockabilly three-piece from England. I closed the bar with those guys. After we had thrown back a whole lot of Maker's Mark, these Brits started talking about the Chicago rockabilly "scene". They were making fun of the way these guys dressed and the old cars they drove. One of the guys told me that he dresses this way on stage but when he goes to work on Monday he likes to look like he's actually in this decade. :lol: Nothing against Ken Mottet, but he's a weird dude. It's 2012, man!

Anyway, I think if you're going to revive an old form, you should attempt to move it forward. The third wave ska bands did that. I can't say the same for any modern swing band I've ever heard.

Yeah, I don't know that there was much they could change swing other than adding other elements to it. A lot of the swing scene had to do with swing dancing. Something similar to ska's skanking, but with a partner.

I think the genres of Rockabilly and Swing are really not that far apart. Some of the rhythms are similar and they both have upright basses. I automatically think of Brian Setzer changing from Rockabilly to Swing. If you have a discussion about Rockabilly you need to include the Rev. Horton Heat. Also you should mention the 3 Blue Tear Drops if referencing the Chicago scene.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:14 pm 

pizza_Place: Bojono's on Clarendon
Mini Ditka wrote:
The third wave of ska was referred to as skacore and many of the bands had a lot of punk influences including Less Than Jake, Rancid, Operation Ivy, the Suicide Machines and Reel Big Fish. The third wave ska scene was largely ignored by the mainstream with the exception of a few artists such as The Bosstones, Reel Big Fish, Save Ferris, No Doubt and Sublime. Swing bands were also part of this big band resurgence.

To say Skacore bands were directly influenced by Rancid, Op Ivy, etc. is really to say they were indirectly influenced by The Clash, who were contemporaries of the Two Tone bands and heavily steeped in Jamaican Ska, Rock Steady, and Political Reggae. Not that that is a bad thing, though. Rancid's ...And Out Came The Wolves is my favorite Clash album not recorded by The Clash.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
stoneroses86 wrote:
Believe it or not, I actually have a cassette tape of Dance Craze that I made in the 1980's. In the 1980's, I dressed very fashionably and I was quite a favorite with the ladies. I am not saying that I was like a Hollywood playboy, but there definitely was action aplenty. It did not hurt that I was ruggedly handsome and an athletic ice hockey player. Alas, I digress.

Im sure that NY Yankee porkpie hat you were sporting didnt hurt either.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou's, Pequod's
Whatever the hell this is.... http://media.lelombrik.net/33001-33500/97f502a5b7300735fe80b2560104150394d4c136.swf

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:57 am 

pizza_Place: Pisa Pizza, Countryside
A lot of people here not understanding or appreciating country music... I understand, I used to be just like you. But I then listened to it for an extended period of time on a road trip and saw the light. It's just three chords and the truth.

Dierks Bentley, Justin Moore and Billy Currington are all good artists to try if you're interested...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:06 am 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
Screaming metal. If I can't understand/hear what the fuck you're bellowing about into a soon-to-be-ruined microphone, what the fuck is the point?