It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 4:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:22 pm 

I found this to be a really interesting and informative article.

http://theconcourse.deadspin.com/the-blurred-lines-verdict-is-bad-news-even-if-you-ha-1690817200/+robharvilla

Basically, it seems like the major concern here is not only is it infringement to make a song that is very similar to a previous song in terms of composition, but now it seems like it is infringement to make a song that "feels" similar to another song from the past.

Maybe we should just give all the money in music to Paul McCartney?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Milano's
yea i think it's a dangerous precedent, even though there have been other cases (My Sweet Lord/He's So Fine)

i think their (Pharrell/Thicke) behavior didn't help their case one bit, it seemed in various interviews they acknowledged, then denied it...seemed like their story was ever changing

i also learned today that arrangements can be copyrighted, which also seems pretty ridiculous

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:31 pm 

Quote:
>you can copyright arrangements - at least they did in the big band era

This is absolutely true and still true today. I was best friends in college with a son of one of the original Weavers, so I got to learn about how much of the 1950s and 1960s folk music revival was based on people who made money copyrighting "arrangements" of public domain songs. Randy Sparks, the guy behind the New Christy Minstrels, would keep a calendar that marked off the exact date when various Stephen Foster songs would go into public domain and then he'd file copyrights on new arrangements of the Stephen Foster song. If somebody else recorded a Stephen Foster song that sounded a little too close to your "arrangement," then you could demand royalties.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:35 pm 

also

Quote:
The Blurred Lines verdict is nothing compared to the NWA ruling (known as Bridgeport Music, Inc. v. Dimension Films) that basically turned "sample trolling" into a legitimate and very lucrative business. Unlike the audible similarity between Blurred Lines and Got To Give It Up, NWA got sued for using three notes from a Funkadelic song that was all but unrecognizable by the time it was recontextualized as a sample in an NWA song. George Clinton himself disputes Bridgeport Music's claim to Funkadelic's music publishing rights as based on fraud, but that doesn't stop Bridgeport Music from being a very lucrative rent-seeking business. Basically, the entire business model of Bridgeport Music is to listen for Funkadelic samples and sue as many rappers as possible, even though George Clinton doesn't get a dime from the music and is generally very favorable to sampling of his work by rappers. Sample trolls are parasitic scum-sucking bottom dwellers on the music industry, akin to the role that patent trolls play in the IT industry.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:43 pm 

Bagels wrote:
yea i think it's a dangerous precedent, even though there have been other cases (My Sweet Lord/He's So Fine)

i think their (Pharrell/Thicke) behavior didn't help their case one bit, it seemed in various interviews they acknowledged, then denied it...seemed like their story was ever changing

i also learned today that arrangements can be copyrighted, which also seems pretty ridiculous
They didn't do themselves any favors. Maybe it won't be a precedent based on that.

I think it is an interesting thing that our society lets you own things like DNA sequences and combinations of sound notes.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:46 pm 
1000 CLUB

This is a tough law to enforce. Wouldn't you say everything has been done. In other words, every new song has some similarity to another song. Hundreds of thousands of songs have been written. Something has to be derived from one of them.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:22 pm 

http://www.spin.com/articles/marvin-gaye-robin-thicke-blurred-lines-lawsuit-ed-sheeran-thinking-out-loud/?utm_source=spinfacebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=spinfacebook

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:26 pm 

im just glad Marvin Gaye is relevant again

no one ever rips off Tammi Terrell's parts :(

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:57 pm 

To be fair to Ed Sheeran, being from the show "Glee" makes this kind of thing second nature

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:35 pm 

Bagels wrote:

was there ever a lawsuit over "rolling in the deep" ripping off "gimmie shelter"? that one's pretty blatant...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:37 pm 

pizza_Place: Four hours away....and on fire :-(
Led Zeppelin should be fucked.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:53 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
redskingreg wrote:

I'm guessing that, in their time, they were ... often ... basically at will.

I have no remorse about Anus and Andy getting it stuffed up their giggy - other than the overly-dramatic daugther I heard blubbering today (I think) on the WGN news ... brother Marvin didn't deserve a pistol to the face, but there'd have to be at least a hearing to determine if she doesn't.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:55 pm 

pizza_Place: Papa Johns
Don Tiny wrote:
redskingreg wrote:

I have no remorse about Anus and Andy getting it stuffed up their giggy - other than the overly-dramatic daugther I heard blubbering today (I think) on the WGN news ... brother Marvin didn't deserve a pistol to the face, but there'd have to be at least a hearing to determine if she doesn't.

Marvin was "looking down on them!"

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
https://youtu.be/SDTZ7iX4vTQ

https://youtu.be/SJ3plaSowWc

didn't link the Ian Hunter original version cuz I figure since the Foster the People guy grew up in Cleveland watching Drew Carey he likely pinched
the POTUSA version.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:41 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Don't know about the Cleveland pumped up connection but as a old guy I do love that Forster song.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:07 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
SomeGuy wrote:
Don Tiny wrote:
redskingreg wrote:

Marvin was "looking down on them!"

Wondering What's Goin' On on doubt ....

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:31 am 

then it was time to get it on.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:21 am 

EagloJeff wrote:
He was sittin on The Dock of the Bay!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:30 am 

:lol: