http://player.radio.com/listen/station/93xrt

This has to be in JORR's wheelhouse.

<ยบ)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:57 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
Definitely. I'm sure they'll play "Turning Japanese". Maybe "Johnny Hit And Run Paulene" if we're lucky.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
I find it amusing that under no circumstances whatsoever will WXRT ever play anything by Rush. Who can deny that Permanent Waves was among the better albums of 1980? I mean, sure, they're a Classic Rock Dinosaur who are already the province of the Loop and the Drive, but the Stones aren't? I want to know what's up with this.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:42 pm 

pizza_Place: Olde Silver Tavern, Manalapan, NJ [R.I.P.?]
Curious Hair wrote:
I find it amusing that under no circumstances whatsoever will WXRT ever play anything by Rush. Who can deny that Permanent Waves was among the better albums of 1980? I mean, sure, they're a Classic Rock Dinosaur who are already the province of the Loop and the Drive, but the Stones aren't? I want to know what's up with this.

It's probably the most visible campaign of a larger protest against progressive rock, which I 110% agree with.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Dave In Champaign wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

It's probably the most visible campaign of a larger protest against progressive rock, which I 110% agree with.

Yeah but they play a ton of Genesis.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:52 pm 

pizza_Place: Olde Silver Tavern, Manalapan, NJ [R.I.P.?]
badrogue17 wrote:
Dave In Champaign wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

Yeah but they play a ton of Genesis.

Hmm.

Well, I stand by my hatred of progressive rock.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:26 am 

Oh, there's plenty of good prog out there. Who couldn't love Larks' Tongues in Aspic?

I don't even care about the cumbersome proggy '70s Rush, just the poppy new wave-ish '80s Rush. Given that the station basically disavowed its progressive roots to align itself with new wave in the '80s, you'd think they'd be unafraid of "Vital Signs" or "Spirit of Radio." Maybe it's because Neil Peart is a Randian.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:41 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Wont play or acknowledge Rush yet they continue to suck the Indigo Girls dicks.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:45 am 

Hey, "Closer to Fine" is one of my favorite songs.

I'm always amused by the weird '80s chestnuts in the library, you know, like "She Blinded Me With Science." Finest rock!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:00 am 

pizza_Place: Bojono's on Clarendon
There has always been an invisible fence around XRT's playlist that kept out Loop/MET black concert t-shirt bands from the 70's and '80's, Zeppelin being the most notable exception to the rule. It wasn't until Jane's Addiction, the Pumpkins, and the Grunge bands that these lines began to blur in earnest. I remember reading an early interview with Chris Cornell wherein he said that Soundgarden was as influenced by Sonic Youth as they were by Black Sabbath and thinking that that would have ramifications on how these stations would qualify these bands as legit to their listeners.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:14 pm 

pizza_Place: My moms grave
Telegram Sam wrote:
There has always been an invisible fence around XRT's playlist that kept out Loop/MET black concert t-shirt bands from the 70's and '80's, Zeppelin being the most notable exception to the rule. It wasn't until Jane's Addiction, the Pumpkins, and the Grunge bands that these lines began to blur in earnest. I remember reading an early interview with Chris Cornell wherein he said that Soundgarden was as influenced by Sonic Youth as they were by Black Sabbath and thinking that that would have ramifications on how these stations would qualify these bands as legit to their listeners.

Even then it was highly selective. Filter's Nice Shot would never be played but Take a Picture would get rotation. Even with Zep it is more battle of evermore type than anything.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:13 pm 

The April Fools' prank this year was a promo for a Tragically Hip/Rush feature. :(

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:36 pm 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
Erotic Lawyer wrote:
Filter's Nice Shot

wasn't that song about budd dwyer? he was some politician or something who famously shot himself in the head during a presser and there's gifs of it all over the internet.

i remember that song and gravity kills' "YOU'RE GUILTY HEYYYYAYYYYYAYYY" (prolly just called guilty) being mandatory first hour plays (alongside all the NIN of the day) in the epoch of the alternative beat / industrial zone on q101. it wasn't enough that those two songs were on all damn day you had to hear them again like holy fucking shit go fuck off and at least pick something a notch or two better like that one decent chemlab song off of their shitty album from 96 which was slotted to the next in the proud lineage of filter/gravity-kills.

chemlab broke up and fucked off for 7 years in 1997? gee i didnt see that coming!

but yeah hey to at least be ~10% on topic zoltar the brother from another planet from alternabeat/induszone used to DJ at WXRT so there you go.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:20 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
sinicalypse wrote:
Erotic Lawyer wrote:
Filter's Nice Shot

wasn't that song about budd dwyer? he was some politician or something who famously shot himself in the head during a presser and there's gifs of it all over the internet.

Yep, R. Budd Dwyer. He killed himself on TV.

That song was written by Stu Zechman. My guy!

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=87945&p=2031299&hilit=zechman#p2031299