It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 3:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 695 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 24  Next
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:11 pm 

pizza_Place: *
Sunday October 24th I'm going to feature a group straight out the Chi, Do or Die. This one is off their debut and best album IMO "Picture This", this one is called
"Playa Like Me and You". It seems like just yesterday I was crusin the streetz smokin the finest green bumping this album.

Playa Like Me and You:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zkDD2paaEs&feature=related

No traces of you, what can I do?
Alone and confused

Last edited by Free Ajent on Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Hut
Free Ajent wrote:
Sunday October 24th I'm going to feature a group straight out the Chi, Do or Die. This one is off their debut and best album IMO "Picture This", this one is called
"Playa Like Me and You. It seems like just yesterday I was crusin the streetz smokin the finest green bumping this album.

Playa Like Me and You:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zkDD2paaEs&feature=related

Thank you Ajent. Chi-Town definitely reprezentin.

Kid Cairo: 2013 March Madness Tournament Winner!

"Cowabunga? Cowa fucking piece of dog shit! This game is diarrhea coming out of my dick!"

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:04 am 

October 25, 2010:
Today's selection is from my second favorite hip hop artist, Talib Kweli. This is an unreleased track (produced by Karriem Riggins) that was originally supposed to be included on his 2007 classic, Eardrum, but for whatever reason it didn't make the cut for the U.S. release. It was, however, included on the international release as a bonus track...go figure. :roll: The track is called "Take It Back" and features Marsha Ambrosius of Floetry singing the hook. This is one of my favorite hip hop songs of the last 5 years. This is what hip hop is all about.

Take It Back

"Cowabunga? Cowa fucking piece of dog shit! This game is diarrhea coming out of my dick!"

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:56 am 

pizza_Place: nowhere
Nice! Kweli is about as ill as anyone in hip hop

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:32 pm 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
i typically think that mf doom is a waste... i get the schtick, i get the supervillian thingy with his DJ faking being him at ~70% of his shows lately and i get what he's trying to do... but a monotone rapper with flow that sometimes is worse than mine, despite saying clever shit, ordinarily doesn't work for me. example: he sucks it up in between lateef and gift of gab on the mighty underdogs' gunfight.

HOWEVER

that cut off of dangerdoom where mf is with talib kewli on dangerdoom's best beat is tight >>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObNwuC0e5ZA

(actually, this is the one time on a feat where i think doom outshines the other dude)

edit: this is akin to method man and redman. meth seems to rap at his absolute best when he's on the cut with red, and who can blame him? red can rhyme circles around the dude... i think the same thing happened to mf doom when he knew he was gonna be juxtaposed with talib on a cut. this is also known as the organized konfusion phenomenon, as raise if your hand if you have heard a prince po solo cut.... =D

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:44 pm 

pizza_Place: Milano's
The one Prince Po album I have is terrible. So is Danger Doom....horrible, horrible album

that said, I like DOOM. I get that his voice/flow/style can be a turnoff so if that's your main point no use in going any further. I think it can also be daunting because he puts out so much material that some of it is for sure going to be bad (see: Danger Doom)

But MMM...Food and Operation Doomsday are classics as are the KMD albums and the Madvillian record

I also like his production work..he produced an album for John Robinson that really surprised me- it's a beautiful sounding record

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:50 pm 

i concur that the dude is brilliant overall and i do like his production... mmm food got my headnodding and whatnot and i appreciated the skits, there just wasn't enough there to warrant repeat listens for me. i mean, ask me my top 5 and 95% of the time i'll put aceyalone #1 and he aint really known for style per say, but there's just something about doom that gets played out for me... especially when he's on a cut with other heavyweights and he's the weakest link.

dangerdoom was a waste. i bought the cd (which i rarely do as i'm a vinylphile) and the only two songs i liked were the "his name's doom they wonder who is he blah blah blah" song and the talib qweli one, mainly because the beats were so imminently rideable they coulda rapped about raping baby pigs and i would have kept nodding my head.

that said, the two pharoahe monch albums i have are excellent (internal affairs and desire) and well, prince po is a nice guy. he hangs out on facebook droppin old obscure 70s/80s disco/funk/r&b records that have been sampled by songs we all know and shit and he's real he'll talk to you but like.... he ain't pharoahe monch. originally po was the rapper and monch was a beastboxer who had his arm twisted to rhyme.... thank god someone did that, eh? =D

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:34 am 

October 26, 2010:
I try to stray from the norm with these. I understand that Wu Tang is already properly represented on this board, so you won't see many Wu selections from me. However, this is one of those rare cases where you will see Wu representation in this thread.

Today's track is from U-God's 1999 solo debut Golden Arms Redemption. It's one of my favorite U-God tracks, produced by Bink. The track is called "Bizarre".

Bizarre

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:45 am 

pizza_Place: Investigating
Who is this man...the god of war? cool

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:55 pm 

Haven't heard Golden Arms Redemption in a looooong time. I remember liking Lay Down. That dude Lethaface rips it on the tracks he's on

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:30 am 

October 27, 2010:
Today's track is from an absolute lyrical genius by the name of Pharoahe Monch. Produced by Lee Stone, this track is entitled "Hold On" and is off his 2007 sophomore album Desire. It also features Erykah Badu on the hook. Pay attention to not only the rhyme skill but also the message. Very inspiring track.

Hold On

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:33 am 

The Original Kid Cairo wrote:
October 26, 2010:
I try to stray from the norm with these. I understand that Wu Tang is already properly represented on this board, so you won't see many Wu selections from me. However, this is one of those rare cases where you will see Wu representation in this thread.

Today's track is from U-God's 1999 solo debut Golden Arms Redemption. It's one of my favorite U-God tracks, produced by Bink. The track is called "Bizarre".

Bizarre

U-God is a neccessary evil that occasionally doesnt suck.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:44 am 

they say that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, so in the spirit of OKC i wish to add in a little something... you know how when there's the state of the union speech the other political party has to their piece afterwards? yeah. i ain't tryin'ta step on OKC's thing here, that said, here's my piece for the day... this song came up in a convo and i was like "HOLY SHIT I NEED TO SHARE THIS WITH THE GUISE ON THE BOARD!!"

aceyalone: serve and protect

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:46 am 

pizza_Place: Frozen
October 28, 2010:
Talib Kweli is the shit. So is Mos Def. Together they formed Black Star back in '98. Since then, they have done tons of solo work and have crossed paths musically on more than a few occasions. But.....still no follow up Black Star album. Boo. Until then, we can enjoy the first album along with those songs in which they "feature" each other. This one is from Talib Kweli & Hi-Tek's first album Train of Thought from 2000 (I think). Enjoy...

This Means You

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:53 pm 

This thread needs more discussion

November 1, 2010
Joell Ortiz is the new Big Pun maybe even as good. Talib Qweli is one of the illest MCs in the game. Brother Ali is a fire spitter and Jean Grae is the best female MC since Lauren Hill...some say better. Put all these MCs together and you have tracks like this off Joell Ortiz 2010 EP "Farewell Summer" - So Wrong

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:24 pm 

From the original underground gods...

Lot of people, you know what I'm sayin, they be gettin misinformed
thinkin everything is everything, that you could just get yourself
a little deal, whatever, youknowhatI'msayin you gonna get on you
gonna get rich. And all these labels be trying to lure us in like
spiders, into the web, knowhatI'msaying. So sometimes people gotta
come out and speak up, and let people understand, that you know you
gotta read the label you gotta read the label if you don't read the
label you might get poisoned...

Gza/Genius

LABELS

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:30 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:

jesus you guys need to branch out more. ever heard the term "chief rocka?" in a rap song? sure you have. redman referenced it, louis logic did, and others i cant be arsed to remember. note the jean shorts and tims in 93... who the fuck helped set up the archetype? another forgotten gem from the elektra roster (akin to del tha funky homosapien... teh future development LP is dope, peep del's nightmare the self-titled future development song or, shit, fuck i should make lyric lickin the song of the day but i gotta go more obscure) anyways, akin to the way ABC in the late 80s cancelled more great shows than your network had i will say that elektra buried more great rappers than your label had, as i dedicate...

lords of the underground - chief rocka

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:32 pm 

and for the fuck of it since i did reference it and now there's a strict one URL per post policy (thanks wang!) i have to drop this song. if you don't like this song you don't like rap. period.

del tha funkee homosapien - lyric lickin'

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:32 pm 

sinicalypse wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

jesus you guys need to branch out more.

Exactly the response I expected.

Originally I wrote..."Wu isnt really underground but no one else posted anything so here ya go..."

But I felt "Original Underground gods" would spark more conversation.

Youre welcome, Cairo.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:21 am 

speaking of the underground today i'd like to toss out some vintage chicago/esque shit from the year 2000. when galapagos4 was just starting out they had a neat little group called the netherworlds. comprised of murs, anacron, and himself the group made a dope LP called "pals" that helped establish galapagos4 as a label known for quality underground chicago hiphop. as time went on the legendary jagoff murs* went on to find relative-fame with the living legends crew and his buddy slug from atmosphere. they combined to make the supergroup felt, offering up tribute LPs for christina ricci, lisa bonet, and rosie perez. anacron moved out to LA where he's continued his nice rapping (in fact on his myspace last year he had a couple'a really really nice cuts... i think it's mysp/anacronmusic -- the club song alone is worth the price of admission) and himself... well i have no idea to be honest.

the netherworlds - fat boys

* = i was privledged enough to meet THE LIVING LEGEND murs at a hotel party weekend festival thingy in galesburg illinois in march of 2001, i believe. basically some kid at the quad cities colleges (knox?) convinced his school that it was a good idea to invest ~$20k in having a weekend long underground rap festival for a "cultural experience" and there were only one or two hotels in all of galesburg, so you literally had underground rappers from all over the country converging upon a hotel with all kinds of underground hip hop fans from all over the country for a weekend. it was sublime.

on either saturday or sunday morning after a wake-n-bake or 5 and playing asshole with screwdrivers (not recommended) a friend and i were chillin in the hallway when MURS walked by, long before his fateful run for president. after a minute or so of soulless conversation, he noticed that my friend was wearing some leather kenneth cole laceless zip up shoes (he worked at the downtown store at the time) and straightup asked "so i'm looking at your boy's shoes and i have to be straightup with you... is he a burrito or what?"

nevermind the chick he hooked up with and nailed on top of a building they scaled in the middle of the night. clearly, my friend's taste in footwear screamed out "flaming homosexual" to a mind as astute as MURS'. in my generous drunkenness, i mustered up something akin to "OH I KNOW YOU... YOU'RE THAT RAPPER DUDE MARS. MARS FROM THE LIVING LEGENDS. MAN I LOVE THE LIVING LEGENDS... YOUR BOY SCARUB IS FUCKING DOPE! CAN YOU TELL HIM THAT I LOVE SAVVY TRAVELER?!" and proceeded to troll the dude until he wandered off, no doubt in pursuit of better company/bitches/etc. as the years went on i heard more stories from magazine/record-label people who have backed up my observations on MURS. hell, once i was told unsolicited that out of all the rappers this record label dude had ever dealt with MURS was far and away the biggest douche he had encountered in all his days...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:31 am 

Douche or not Murs is dope. Murs 3:16 the 9th Edition is an underground classic

And Cairo has abandoned ship it seems...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:33 am 

I haven't abandoned ship. I've been busy at work and have had a very cluttered mind lately. I thank everyone who's been filling in over the past week. I'll get back into the routine soon.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:44 am 

Mr. Hernandez wrote:
Douche or not Murs is dope. Murs 3:16 the 9th Edition is an underground classic

i never meant to imply that murs isn't dope, he's quite good... his catalogue of work over the years is indeed quite impressive and enjoyable and will stand the test of time.

the only thing is that he is quite aware of this and tends to let it get to his head. c'est la vie.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:22 pm 

Saturday Nov 6, 2010
Once again I travel to the left coast to bring you one of the gems off Zion I's 2000 album Mind Over Matter. A very Primo-esque track titled:
Inner Light

Last edited by Mr. Hernandez on Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:23 pm 

This one is off Tanya Morgan's album Brooklynati featuring Bagels fav MC Blu who happens to be from the West Coast
Morgan Blu

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:24 pm 

3 for 1 special today since nothings been put up since wed

Elzhi who imo is the 2nd best MC outta Detroit. Here's one of the standout tracks of 2008's must have album The Preface
Talking In My Sleep

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:40 pm 

Mr. Hernandez wrote:
3 for 1 special today since nothings been put up since wed

Elzhi who imo is the 2nd best MC outta Detroit. Here's one of the standout tracks of 2008's must have album The Preface
Talking In My Sleep

I agree with that. For me, it's Royce and Elzhi (Eminem 3rd).

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:01 pm 

in the spirit of sticking up for a relative-unknown out of detroit/pontiac, i present to theee...

one be lo - the ghetto

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:34 pm 

sinicalypse wrote:
in the spirit of sticking up for a relative-unknown out of detroit/pontiac, i present to theee...

one be lo - the ghetto

That album is sick. Binary Stars Masters of the Universe is one of my favorite underground hip hop albums

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:38 pm 

Mr. Hernandez wrote:
sinicalypse wrote:

one be lo - the ghetto

That album is sick. Binary Stars Masters of the Universe is one of my favorite underground hip hop albums

yeah once you get up to like 300-400 records, it's not what you have but what you don't have... i don't have sonogram. i have the unparallelled and rocketship 12"s but sorely lack this LP =(

"block so hot make the devil wanna cop a lemonade"

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 695 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 24  Next