It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 12:35 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 186 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:53 pm 

pizza_Place: Little Caesar's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nirvana is definitely one of the most important post-'80 bands. Whether you like them or not, circumstances were such that they achieved greatness in a short time. Kurt Cobain was a rock star. Dave Grohl is a guy playing a rock star.

That's how every "rock star" seems to be these days. IDK if it's just a different era, or just how the music has "evolved", but none of them have that something about them that rock stars did in the past.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:07 pm 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
Oh man, are we seriously lamenting the loss of Rock Star Intangibles? It's about the music they make. You want pageantry and spectacle, see a Broadway show, or the Rolling Stones.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:09 pm 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
Mick Jones is a Rock Star and he is still performing.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Old World Pizza in Melrose Park
Since the 80's - throwing Iron Maiden into the discussion. Amazing band that has stood the test of time and still going strong and has influenced every metal band that has come after them.

Oh...Eastern Illinois. They contacted me. I didn't take the entrance exam because I had 64 crayons instead of 3. But I loved going through Central Illinois. Watching people on bad cooked up Tide is the best.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:07 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
I LOVE Maiden.
Number of the Beast was one of my first ever tapes. I loved Run to the Hills and 22 Acacia Avenue... who didn't love Number of the Beast.
Somewhere in Time.... Seventh Son... just defined my early musical loves as a single digit darkside to early teenage years.
I know that yall wouldn't expect that of me for my Floydish tendencies but I was originally a bad metalhead, before drugs.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:02 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
Curious Hair wrote:
Oh man, are we seriously lamenting the loss of Rock Star Intangibles? It's about the music they make. You want pageantry and spectacle, see a Broadway show, or the Rolling Stones.

Well, the rock idiom is about more than "the music they make". It's about image, look, style, etc. And I think most people can tell the genuine from the fake.

As it relates to Dave Grohl in particular, I don't begrudge the man anything. He took his opportunities and he's enjoying the ride. Hey, he got to play with his hero, Paul McCartney! But there's a stark difference between him and guys like Cobain or Keith Richards who played their guts out because they had to.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 186 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7