It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 4:39 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:25 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
All this Nirvana hate 20 years later is so convenient. I'm curious what the 1991 "you" would say about Nirvana.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:40 am 

pizza_Place: Milano's
why would anyone hate Nirvana now, or then ?

this world is fucked up

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:49 am 

Bagels wrote:

this world is fucked up

COF must have been a Bigfan of Poison and Slaughter.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:51 am 

pizza_Place: Bojono's on Clarendon
Curious Hair wrote:
Nirvana started shitty and finished shitty. One band that rhymed "what else should I say" with "everyone is gay" was quite enough, thanks.

I wish I still had it, but when I was learning Cool Edit (Adobe Audition) sophomore year of high school, I did a really sloppy cut-and-paste of "All Apologies" that went roughly

What else should I be
All apologies
What else should I say
Everyone is gay
What else should I write
Everyone is gay
What else should I be
Everyone is gay

I wish I was like you
Everyone is gay
Find my nest of salt
Everyone is gay
Everyone is gay (clumsily pitch shifted to match other lines)
Everyone is gay
Sunburn with freezer burn
Choking on gay

I'm not a big lyrics guy, but I think the "everyone is gay" line in "All Apologies" was an exaggerated response to the nitpicking criticism that Kurt Cobain encountered after being designated the voice of his generation by MTV or Spin or Crystal Pepsi or whomever by (erroneous) virtue of vanquishing Poison and Whitesnake. I'm also not a bigfan of the "rock star's lament" about the trappings of fame and fortune, but this guy was clearly uncomfortable in his own skin, amplified one hundred ford by mainstream success (I think he would have been happy with a Melvins-level stable gigging career.) Taken out of context, it's a silly line, I guess.

JORR, in reference to David Bowie's "Heroes" said something to the effect that regardless of the subject matter of the song (The Berlin Wall, isolation, sub sandwiches etc.) that Bowie felt the hell out of it, or if not "it," then something, in the vocals. I think of "All Apologies" in a similar way. You can titter at the faux depth or artistic license in the lyrics on paper, but you can't deny that whatever was going on when they recorded it, Kurt Cobain was feeling it.

Nirvana has enough good-to-great moments, in a relatively short recording career. I like them because I love a lot of the bands that influenced them, and I appreciate how they incorporated those influences. I would argue that they are a more interesting band if you throw 'Nevermind" out the window(I prefer the beginning and end of their career), and maybe stick around long enough to put out an album with a horn section.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:11 am 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
I like a few songs, but refuse to see them as great. I like a few songs by just about every band.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:19 am 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Curious Hair wrote:
I like a few songs, but refuse to see them as great. I like a few songs by just about every band.

Nirvana or Foo Fighters?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:33 am 

Both, I guess. "Smells Like Teen Spirit" and "Come As You Are" are good. "Everlong" and "Rope" are fine. Most Foo Fighters stuff is just so boring.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:35 am 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Curious Hair wrote:
Both, I guess. "Smells Like Teen Spirit" and "Come As You Are" are good. "Everlong" and "Rope" are fine. Most Foo Fighters stuff is just so boring.

Interesting.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:48 am 
doug - evergreen park wrote:
All this Nirvana hate 20 years later is so convenient. I'm curious what the 1991 "you" would say about Nirvana.

They would love them. They're trying to show how hip they are now. And failing.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:02 am 

pizza_Place: Olde Silver Tavern, Manalapan, NJ [R.I.P.?]
Telegram Sam wrote:
I'm not a big lyrics guy, but I think the "everyone is gay" line in "All Apologies" was an exaggerated response to the nitpicking criticism that Kurt Cobain encountered after being designated the voice of his generation by MTV or Spin or Crystal Pepsi or whomever by (erroneous) virtue of vanquishing Poison and Whitesnake. I'm also not a bigfan of the "rock star's lament" about the trappings of fame and fortune, but this guy was clearly uncomfortable in his own skin, amplified one hundred ford by mainstream success (I think he would have been happy with a Melvins-level stable gigging career.) Taken out of context, it's a silly line, I guess.

JORR, in reference to David Bowie's "Heroes" said something to the effect that regardless of the subject matter of the song (The Berlin Wall, isolation, sub sandwiches etc.) that Bowie felt the hell out of it, or if not "it," then something, in the vocals. I think of "All Apologies" in a similar way. You can titter at the faux depth or artistic license in the lyrics on paper, but you can't deny that whatever was going on when they recorded it, Kurt Cobain was feeling it.

Nirvana has enough good-to-great moments, in a relatively short recording career. I like them because I love a lot of the bands that influenced them, and I appreciate how they incorporated those influences. I would argue that they are a more interesting band if you throw 'Nevermind" out the window(I prefer the beginning and end of their career), and maybe stick around long enough to put out an album with a horn section.

I'd agree with this. Cobain was far more clever than he was ever given credit for (possibly because people parsed everything he said for comparisons to Eddie Vedder, a guy so stupidly earnest he makes Bono look like Rip Taylor). This feels ridiculous to say, but I think Nirvana's music is slightly underrated; all the Nevermind Changed Everything crap obscures the fact that In Utero is a terrific album.

Side note: Klosterman's piece on Cobain and David Koresh in Eating the Dinosaur is one of maybe a half-dozen things he's ever done that's actually worth reading.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:05 am 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
Douchebag wrote:
Bagels wrote:

this world is fucked up

COF must have been a Bigfan of Poison and Slaughter.

yeah, I like Journey. So sue me. I hate most music that doesn't have a good vocalist. It's why I hate the Stones but love Keith Richards. At least he can somewhat sing.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:06 am 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
Baby McNown wrote:
doug - evergreen park wrote:

They would love them. They're trying to show how hip they are now. And failing.

yeah, I'm "real" hip.

1991, I was listening to the Beatles. Just like I do today.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:06 am 

Dave In Champaign wrote:
Eddie Vedder, a guy so stupidly earnest he makes Bono look like Rip Taylor).

what

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:53 pm 

I like bands that influenced Nirvana. I don't like bands Nirvana influenced. We've been stuck in a rut ever since Cobain died. I feel like Pearl Jam and the Foo Fighters both owe their entire overblown fandoms to the fact that they're here and Nirvana isn't. Twenty years of surrogacy and counting. Get over it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Dave In Champaign wrote:
Telegram Sam wrote:

I'd agree with this. Cobain was far more clever than he was ever given credit for (possibly because people parsed everything he said for comparisons to Eddie Vedder, a guy so stupidly earnest he makes Bono look like Rip Taylor). This feels ridiculous to say, but I think Nirvana's music is slightly underrated; all the Nevermind Changed Everything crap obscures the fact that In Utero is a terrific album.

Side note: Klosterman's piece on Cobain and David Koresh in Eating the Dinosaur is one of maybe a half-dozen things he's ever done that's actually worth reading.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Curious Hair wrote:
I like bands that influenced Nirvana. I don't like bands Nirvana influenced. We've been stuck in a rut ever since Cobain died. I feel like Pearl Jam and the Foo Fighters both owe their entire overblown fandoms to the fact that they're here and Nirvana isn't. Twenty years of surrogacy and counting. Get over it.

The Foos should've stopped after they wrote Everlong.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:09 pm 

I like the Foo Fighters, but they are VERY overrated. They've put out some decent music, but there's no way they deserve to be a part of any "Best Of" lists from that era.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:38 am 

XRT spins of "Something From Nothing" in the last 24 hours as per their playlist:

12:06 AM
5:07 PM
12:53 PM
7:09 AM
2:30 AM

Christ almighty, they don't even play "Beds Are Burning" this much.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:04 am 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
It's got to be hard to dance without moving your feet like that guy from midnight oil.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:41 am 

pizza_Place: My moms grave
Curious Hair wrote:

Here here. Long live SST.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:45 am 

pizza_Place: Bojono's on Clarendon
Spaulding wrote:
It's got to be hard to dance without moving your feet like that guy from midnight oil.

He was (is) a lawyer. Lawyers cannot dance. He found a loophole.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:17 pm 

pizza_Place: My moms grave
Telegram Sam wrote:
Spaulding wrote:

He was (is) a lawyer. Lawyers cannot dance. He found a loophole.

Watch it buddy.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:56 am 

I like Nirvana, but I also like Nelly and Nickleback. Maybe I just have a thing for the letter N.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:59 am 

Allow me to recommend Nellie McKay, Nick Drake, and the New Radicals.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's
Foos cover Rush, among others:

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/foo-figh ... om-sawyer/

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:38 pm 

SOMETHING FROM NOTHING IS THE WORST FUCKING SONG AND I ALWAYS CHANGE THE STATION WHEN IT COMES ON

yeahhaww, Chicago burned down once
Naked Raygun is a band from here
I'm gonna rawk out
MUDDY WATERS IS ALSO FROM HERE!
I AM GOING TO RAWK OUT MORE!
YEAHHAWWWW
*KICKASS GUITAR SOLO~!!!!*

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
XRT played one of their songs between the Eagles and Supertramp. sounded like shit to me.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:42 pm 

Hatchetman wrote:
XRT played one of their songs between the Eagles and Supertramp. sounded like shit to me.

The Eagles?

Did you watch the video?

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:46 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
Curious Hair wrote:
SOMETHING FROM NOTHING IS THE WORST FUCKING SONG AND I ALWAYS CHANGE THE STATION WHEN IT COMES ON

yeahhaww, Chicago burned down once
Naked Raygun is a band from here
I'm gonna rawk out
MUDDY WATERS IS ALSO FROM HERE!
I AM GOING TO RAWK OUT MORE!
YEAHHAWWWW
*KICKASS GUITAR SOLO~!!!!*

Oh my God! It's so dreadful. The way it's written reminds of a class project where you ask a few people questions and then come up with a song in fifteen minutes. "I was looking for a dime and I found a quarter! Hey, that's cool! Let's use it!"

The only thing I can thing of that might be worse would be if they covered another terrible song, like say, "Tom Sawyer".

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:49 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
The only thing I can thing of that might be worse would be if they covered another terrible song, like say, "Tom Sawyer".

Nonsense! Those Brazilians love their rock.

-Hank Kingsley