It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: To Pimp a Butterfly
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:05 am 

Bagels wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

Sometimes it almost came off like a spoken word album, but in a good way.

yea, that would be my one criticism.....like there needs to be more actual rapping ?

also I don't really like when he does his weird voices, i prefer my Kendricks straight up

I can see that.

The voices thing is part of the package with Kendrick though. I think it works more times than not, and he doesnt over do it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:54 am 

94 on Metacritic, tying it with My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy as the 2nd highest rated hip hop album ever (Stankonia got a 95) and 14th overall

(Meta does lean towards stuff released during the internet age, but still)

Professional ratings
Aggregate scores
Source Rating
Metacritic 94/100[14]
Review scores
Source Rating
Billboard 4.5/5 stars[15]
Chicago Tribune 4/4 stars[16]
HipHopDX 5/5 stars[17]
Complex 4.5/5 stars[18]
GQ (very favorable)[19]
The Guardian 4/5 stars[20]
NY Daily News 5/5 stars[21]
AllHipHop 5/5 stars[22]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
This is quickly becoming one of my favorite albums of all time. I haven't listened to anything this much since ATLiens. Kendrick is an artist in every sense of the word. Not a lot of radio friendly shit, but thant isn't a problem at all. Still a bunch of tracks that can stand on their own, but it's best played through for context. He could have made something safe , but instead made something creative that brings up a ton of feelings and ideas for the listener. First time I've sought out the liner notes in years to see who all had a part in this masterpiece.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:46 pm 

Krazy Ivan wrote:
This is quickly becoming one of my favorite albums of all time. I haven't listened to anything this much since ATLiens. Kendrick is an artist in every sense of the word. Not a lot of radio friendly shit, but thant isn't a problem at all. Still a bunch of tracks that can stand on their own, but it's best played through for context. He could have made something safe , but instead made something creative that brings up a ton of feelings and ideas for the listener. First time I've sought out the liner notes in years to see who all had a part in this masterpiece.

Well said.

I think These Walls and Hood Politics will be radio friendly.

Im a fanboy or whatever but Im floored by this album. It's better than I even hoped.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:04 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Krazy Ivan wrote:

Well said.

I think These Walls and Hood Politics will be radio friendly.

Im a fanboy or whatever but Im floored by this album. It's better than I even hoped.

Yep. I totally expected him to make something with a bunch of bangers, and I woulda been cool with that. But I really didn't expect this type of effort.

I dug the Tupac interview, though. :lol: But one listen is probably enough for that...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:09 pm 

Krazy Ivan wrote:

I dug the Tupac interview, though. :lol: But one listen is probably enough for that...

Funny u should say that, I put the album on repeat when I went to bed the other night but I accidentally double clicked and repeated Mortal Man for 8 hours. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Milano's
rogers park bryan wrote:
Krazy Ivan wrote:

Funny u should say that, I put the album on repeat when I went to bed the other night but I accidentally double clicked and repeated Mortal Man for 8 hours. :lol:

i don't particularly care for this section
Quote:
That nigga gave us Billie Jean, you say he touched those kids?
When shit hit the fan, is you still a fan?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:27 pm 

Bagels wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Krazy Ivan wrote:

i don't particularly care for this section
Quote:
That nigga gave us Billie Jean, you say he touched those kids?
When shit hit the fan, is you still a fan?

What do you think he's saying there?

I kinda thought it was about how being a fan is complicated (I.E. Bill Cosby) and you love someone or thing for so long and then....shit hits the fan.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:27 pm 

I'm kinda still in the "Michael may not have been a molester " camp.

It's a strange camp, sure. A little creepy.....but tons of Jesus Juice...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:30 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
What do you think he's saying there?

I kinda thought it was about how being a fan is complicated (I.E. Bill Cosby) and you love someone or thing for so long and then....shit hits the fan.

yeah, at first I read it as being approving of what he did, but I think your feeling is probably more what he was expressing, i.e. separating the art from the artist

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:33 pm 

Here is what the nerds over at genius said....I love when they attach way more meaning than the original artist intended (I dont think that's the case here, just saying)

This guy makes sense though. I think Kendrick is saying "Im not perfect, dont treat me like a god and dont be shocked if I make mistakes"

Also I think he learned that lesson by being a Pac superfan

tion 4 Contributors ?
Controversy from a A-list celebrity leads to a heavy panning to said celebrity. Most notably, the “King of Pop” Michael Jackson faced numerous accusations of child sex abuse. This permanently tarred his reputation, even though he was later acquitted.

Kendrick is criticizing moral absolutism — the belief that people are wholly virtuous or wholly wicked based on a certain deed or group of deeds. For example, some point out that MLK was unfaithful to his wife and therefore should not be praised as the morally correct leader that many believe him to be.
Similarly, Kendrick does not want people to write off Michael Jackson as a mere child molester, even if he in fact was one. Because if the allegations that “he touched those kids” are true, they still don’t take away from the fact that Jackson was a revolutionary artist who touched the lives of millions and influenced a generation of musicians.
This line reflects a broader theme pervading the track and indeed the album as a whole: the need for forgiveness. As “Mortal Men”, all of us are in need of forgiveness; all of us are all sinners, from Kendrick to Michael Jackson to the pope himself. Yet in a world full of sinners, we must find the ability to empathize, identify, and share our common flaws if we are to find peace. And as Kendrick goes on to explain in the outro, all of this begins with forgiveness. We must forget “all the pain and the hurt we caused each other” and embrace love over hate, love over pride, love over everything. Only then can we find it possible to forgive ourselves and others.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:36 pm 

Yikes...

I get what they're saying but that could have been said in two sentences.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:37 pm 

Krazy Ivan wrote:
Yikes...

I get what they're saying but that could have been said in two sentences.

Well, it IS the proper site to go off like that though

Sini should be a contributor (probably is)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:38 pm 

Krazy Ivan wrote:

I remember, you was conflicted...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:39 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Krazy Ivan wrote:

I remember, you was conflicted...

:lol:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:19 pm 

Where were you guys able to cop this at? I went to Target and Best Buy in South Elgin, they acted like they never heard of it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:08 am 

it is pretty underground ...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:33 am 

schmitty1121 wrote:
Where were you guys able to cop this at? I went to Target and Best Buy in South Elgin, they acted like they never heard of it.

I think I read that is was being released in stores a week later. It was supposed to come out online this coming sunday, so Im sure it will be in stores Tuesday

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:51 am 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
i copped it from the same place i copped the death grips album that leaked yesterday and then action bronson's new album leaked yesterday too.

holy shit does death grips suck or what? as someone who experienced many punk shows at the fireside bowl in the mid 90s and has been around long enough to see aceyalone on stage at 3am @ the metro after they cut off his mic when he was yelling I'LL ROCK THIS PARTY ALL NIGHT!!!!!! the night after i saw autechre @ the same venue the night before back in the year 2000, i just don't get death grips. i like that macintosh plus mashup otherwise.... i guess i gotta try their really old shit? i just dont get it. i must be old.

the action bronson is fine. a lot of FEAT tracks on there and that's always a red flag in my world.... but hey now, keep the product moving, eh?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:59 am 

sinicalypse wrote:

the action bronson is fine. a lot of FEAT tracks on there and that's always a red flag in my world.... but hey now, keep the product moving, eh?

I feel like Action is not a guy to look to for anything profound or new.

Just old fashioned, funny and sports themed rap, which is just dandy to this veteran observer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:23 am 

BTW, I normally just cant get with Female rappers beyond a gimmicky thing

Nicky Minaj has started to change that.

Rapsody's verse is great on Complexion

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:32 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:

That is a good verse. Beyond Jean Grae, there aren't too many female rappers who stack up imo...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:53 am 

BTW, how stupid does Azelia Banks look now for saying Kendrick plays the non threatening black man to appease white people.

He must have been laughing his ass off knowing this album was coming

He released The Blacker The Berry the day after her moronic comments

I want to like her. I like how she has used Twitter to get famous and she will fight anyone but she's just so stupid

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:54 am 

Review: Kendrick Lamar Returns With the Great American Hip-Hop Album, 'To Pimp a Butterfly'
To Pimp a Butterfly
SPIN ESSENTIALS
SPIN Rating:10 of 10
Listen:
Spotify
Release Date: March 17, 2015
Label: Top Dawg
March 20 2015, 11:06 AM ET
by Dan Weiss
Azealia Banks — the immensely skilled and completely without-filter rapper who appeared in Playboy the same day that Kendrick Lamar's long-awaited To Pimp a Butterfly appeared for sale on iTunes a week early — told the magazine that Lamar is "playing that non-threatening black man shit, and that gets all the white soccer moms" to love him. This is as it should be, because unlike many rappers, the man born Kendrick Duckworth isn't afraid to be misunderstood. K-Dot is the rare rapper who's comfortable with others speaking for him because he's comfortable speaking for others. Not that he talks over anyone or interrupts — he's a starter, not an ender. Having the last word is so far from his interests; he doesn't want anyone to have the last word. The last word means people will stop talking, and — on the evidence of his bled-out magnum opus — that's one of the many, many things he's afraid of.

Hailing from gangsta rap's storied snitches-get-stitches capital, Compton, Lamar increases dialogue nonetheless, even if that means inventing characters as a vessel to converse with himself. The record begins and ends with imaginary conversations between real people — Dr. Dre and Tupac — and believe you me, he'd trade the one he's met (the one to whom he owes his career) for the one he hasn't. Dre admonishes him in a muffled, voicemail-like taunt ("Remember, anybody can get it / But the hard part is keeping it, motherfucker") that Lamar probably scripted himself while having a private laugh too. This is a guy whose spiritual sequel to Gil Scott-Heron's "The Bottle" accidentally became a club hit. Keep it? You can have it, motherfucker.

Play

Say what you will about Kanye, the champion, but his unwillingness to stop explaining himself and let his music stand for itself gives the challenger an advantage. But why does the most vital (black) music of our day only allow for one MVP, one GOAT? Bracket tournaments ranking art might be the arena of nerds, but the allowance of only one female MC to prosper at a time is a little too real, as Banks — a foe of not just Iggy Azalea but Nicki Minaj — should also know. Likewise, I shouldn't be pitting these two against each other; I'm the biggest hypocrite of 2015.

"I want you to feel uncomfortable," Lamar told the New York Times, and all the naked black skin on To Pimp a Butterfly's incredible, Denis Rouvre-shot cover alone will make many a police department squirm. Kicking off the music itself by sampling a Sly Stone inversion called "Every genius Is a Star," the false intro on "Wesley's Theory" hurries to the weirdest funk imaginable, namely George Clinton atop Thundercat's lava-lamp blobs of bass. The central conceit mirrors the conscientious objector of Public Enemy's "Black Steel" — actor Wesley Snipes' failed theory that he could protest against paying taxes, which landed him in jail a few years ago. It's perfectly supplemented by Thundercat's sardonic-sad chorus of "We never should've gave niggas money / Go back home," before Lamar twists the knife further two tracks later, identifying with Roots' Kunta Kinte getting dismembered. Uncomfortable yet?

Lamar addresses most of the album's questions, literally, to Tupac Shakur, who not only knows what it's like to be famous, he knows what it's like to be dead. "Mortal Man" buries a Fela Kuti sample and exhumes a Shakur interview from 1994, replacing a Swedish interviewer with himself, adding six surreal minutes to a song that ends the music proper by asking, "When the shit hits the fan / Is you still a fan?" and invoking Michael Jackson as the ultimate fan-loyalty test. The hubris of Kendrick sandwiching himself between legends gives way to him being too hard on himself, comparing his sins to two men tried for sexual assault. (Maybe that wasn't what he had in mind when he repeatedly mentions "misusing" one's influence in a poem strewn throughout the record, though he's more vocal about his enthusiasm for Fruity Pebbles than sex, and your eyes will roll out of your head at the prehistoric device of personifying Lucifer as Lucy or likening fame to a first girlfriend he "just wants to fuck.")

Play

This album is mandatory listening; serious rap fans who shun Mr. West due to his interfering personality (or Wayne, Drake, Nicki, Jay and Em) don't have that out here because Kendrick doesn't pretend to be Hova or Yeezus — just another young black man that Uncle Sam's ready to fuck up. Survivor's guilt drives To Pimp a Butterfly, whether he's castigating himself on "The Blacker the Berry" for being no better than the police, or chiding anyone listening to "Institutionalized" that "Shit don't change until you wash your ass."

These are dangerous ideas in macro (essentially victim-blaming) that he sometimes dares to point out we do all the time individually, connecting it with the health of doubt. At the same time, he explains the lost term "negus" to a crowd after a live-sounding, foreshortened "i": "N-E-G-U-S / Description: black emperor, king, ruler, now let me finish / The history books overlooked the word and hide it / America tried to make it to a house divided." On the "i" flipside that is "u," Lamar hysterically squeaks out, "Loving you is complicated," before excoriating himself for "FaceTiming instead of a hospital visit" over a slow march of New Orleans jazz. It's one of the most difficult songs to listen to in recent memory that's actually worth your time.

Play

Listenability is the difference between the majesty of this 79-minute behemoth on paper, and the songs it needs to succeed. So let's give it up to the astounding thicket of music here, the best-produced rap since the dawn of Drake: shades of Miles Davis' On the Corner and free jazz all over (which follows the news that jazz has become the lowest-selling music genre), as well as Sly Stone's There's a Riot Goin' On and Funkadelic and Erykah Badu's similarly wah-crazy but comparatively lo-fi New Amerykah: 4th World War. The drums on "Momma" click metallically like some unholy matrimony between the Neptunes and Einstürzende Neubauten. When he samples Sufjan Stevens, it's from The Age of fucking Adz.

Most impressively, Robert Glasper's piano races around the vérité "For Free? (Interlude)" while Kendrick raps like an auctioneer and holds onto the beat like a mechanical bull. So let's also take a moment to commend the athletics of it alone, how he manages to breathe. Kendrick's not just the conductor and designer of this orchestra — he's a player, bowing his own larynx to choke out disturbing new yelps on the weightier version of "i" included, or turning "cut the legs off him" into a hook on the nearly danceable "King Kunta." "These Walls" has the first repeating melody on the album, and few others appear. "Swimming Pools (Drank)" was like "Hey Ya!" compared to anything here — which doesn't make Butterfly uncommercial; just screwy enough to make one look back and notice how pop good kid, m.A.A.d city really was.

"You Ain't Gotta Lie (Momma Said)" is the only track that could be mistaken for something on good kid, and it contains the biggest lie on the album: "You ain't gotta try so hard." Well, maybe he ain't gotta. But he can't stop asking and thinking and processing and… get the idea yet that this guy doesn't sleep much? Butterfly ends with him asking, "Pac? Pac?" like he's waking up from a dream where he spoke to his hero. In some ways, it's as powerful as the gunshot that punctuates Biggie's "Suicidal Thoughts," except Biggie got to rest in peace, while Kendrick continues to serve out a life sentence of being haunted by his depression, which no matter what he rasps on "The Blacker the Berry," is not the threat to his existence. The distorted voice explaining "The bigger I shoot"? The Aryan whose black heart matches his skin? Everybody want to cut the legs off him? He knows full well who wants to pimp the butterfly, and he loves himself too much to let it distract him from his art. Sleep? There's time for that when he's no longer the realest negus alive.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:57 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:
BTW, how stupid does Azelia Banks look now for saying Kendrick plays the non threatening black man to appease white people.

I want to like her. I like how she has used Twitter to get famous and she will fight anyone but she's just so stupid

Oh God. She is terrible. Have you ever heard this bitch interviewed? She isn't smart enough to beef with anyone. She's trying desperately to make a career out of "calling people out". Like a female 50 Cent with way less talent.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:18 am 

Krazy Ivan wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

That is a good verse. Beyond Jean Grae, there aren't too many female rappers who stack up imo...

http://www.brooklynvegan.com/archives/2 ... _rapp.html

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:27 am 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
whatever happened to bahamadia? did she fall off and/or fade away? i remember she was on roni size / reprazent albums back in the day and she did her thing and then at some point i promptly never heard about her again.

i always thought medusa from LA could rap, but i can't tell you the name of any of her songs. she was on one of the old heavyweights cuts tho.... that's an accomplishment!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:30 am 

sinicalypse wrote:
whatever happened to bahamadia? did she fall off and/or fade away? i remember she was on roni size / reprazent albums back in the day and she did her thing and then at some point i promptly never heard about her again.

i always thought medusa from LA could rap, but i can't tell you the name of any of her songs. she was on one of the old heavyweights cuts tho.... that's an accomplishment!

she had a nice song on Chops' (only?) album

little too laid back for me

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:30 am 

Krazy Ivan wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

Oh God. She is terrible. Have you ever heard this bitch interviewed? She isn't smart enough to beef with anyone. She's trying desperately to make a career out of "calling people out". Like a female 50 Cent with way less talent.

I read some of the Playboy excerpts

She's got a chip on her shoulder. And I love that she holds up Jay Z as some idealized version of keeping it black.

I mean, the dude hangs with Taylor Swift and Hillary Clinton.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:41 am 

I know it was suppose to release on Tuesday the 23rd. I've been seeing lots of people posting pics of the cd they bought at Best Buy on Twitter.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next