It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2024 11:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Music Debate
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:52 pm 

IB started this on...of all threads...the MOVIES section...in an argument about "Forrest Gump" and "Pulp Fiction" (surely one for the ages!)

anyway this is how it started...and I just can't stand it being in the wrong section anymore...so I'm posting his thoughts, and you can go here to read the responses...and please post here for the rebuttal since this is...the music discussion thread.

Irish Boy wrote:

No. John Lennon, more than any person except maybe Elvis, ruined music for all time. Music is dead, and the Beatles killed it, and John Lennon was the worst of the lot. Music will never recover from his destruction.

He then followed with a rant:

Irish Boy wrote:

Here's the simple why (there are doctoral theses that can be written about this):

Rant on-

Classical (orchestral) music was not yet dead in the 1950s. It was in decline, but it had been in decline before, and it could have been temporary. There were still great composers in the world. Maestros were celebrities. There were other legitimate outlets of music as well, including well developed strains of jazz, but I'm less expert about these.

Here I should make a quick pitch for orchestral music and the Western musical tradition. A lot of people think that all "classical" music sounds alike. It does not. Western music is like the Africa of music; just like there is more genetic diversity within one tribe in Africa than there is in two different tribes on different continents elsewhere in the world, there is more diversity and change within the greatest composer's canons that there is in any other genre. I will defend this technically if need be.

Anyway, The Beatles and their popularity was always more a sociological and demographic challenge to music than an outright challenge. The Beatles harmonic language is laughably simple compared to composers like Palestrina, who wrote in the 16th century, not to mention later composers, whose language grows exponentially more complex.

Liking the Beatles was an emotional statement, and more importantly an outgrowtn of youthful ignorance. It was a stance against "old" music. All generations have done this; the only difference is, every other generation has turned towards an even richer harmonic language. The Beatles were the first incredibly popular group to strip every novelty and complexity out of music and deem it important.

None of this would have been nearly so awful, except that the rise of the Beatles occurred alongside the last significant population surge in Western history. Taste is often a numbers game, and since the baby boomers formative years were spent idolizing the Beatles, we're doomed to a world where the Beatles are actually important. Other musical markets have dried up, and orchestral music, much like modern art, turned down a series of blind alleys, no longer finding it possible to compete with pop music.

One of the greatest heritages of Western society is the music it created. There is great literature all throughout the world and in almost all ages, but Western music is something special. No other society has learned how to so effectively manipulate tone and established a refined theoretical framework for understanding tone. But that's all lost. No longer is chord structure or progression important; now, people listen for lyrics (which is poetry, at best) or melody (which is the simplest aspect of music unless you're really original or good at it, which almost no one is consistently.) It's as though no one remembers how to read or write, and people debate what books are best by determining which burn the brightest. That's the state of modern music, and John Lennon is more responsible than any other person. I will never forgive him.

Rant off.

This was the thread it was started it. Please don't add to it...unless it's about "Forrest Gump" or "Pulp Fiction"...you know, MOVIES...my beloved section has been desecrated enough.

http://score670.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=20190

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:57 pm 

pizza_Place: ***
I like the movies in this order:

1.) Pulp Fiction

2.) Forest Gump

3.) Shawshank Redemption

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Irish Boy wrote:
I like the movies in this order:

1.) Pulp Fiction

2.) Forest Gump

3.) Shawshank Redemption

:lol:

To rock my soul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:59 pm 

All three movies are good in their own way. I don't really get the point of comparing Pulp Fiction and Forrest Gump. It's apples and oranges. I personally would put each movie in my top 10 but for completely different reasons.

I also think that the Bears are going to be better next year than many on here think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:00 pm 

I dont think Hillary or Obama will get the nomination by the DNC. This could get ugly.

To rock my soul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:00 pm 

i'm replying to what irish boy said to me here...

Irish Boy wrote:
No, but I can read a chord. I know the rules of counterpoint. I know what "minor" means. Etc, etc. If it counds harsh to say that people don't know these things are musically illiterate, well, I don't know what to say. Is there a less harsh word for "not able to read and understand music"?

Anyone else can go and state their opinion. Go crazy. No one is going to agree with me anyway, and I don't particularly mind. But it's like me having an argument with you about a book I haven't read- or even better, having an argument with someone who doesn't know how to read. If you don't know the building blocks of music, then what are we supposed to base our opinions on music around, exactly? And if you do, then come at me with that. Music is art, and art is an intellectual endeavor (the anti-intellectualism of all discussions of music is partly the result of the Beatles as well.)

And if any of this offends you or anyone else, and you fancy yourself a big music person, do yourself a favor: buy an introductory music theory book. Learn something about the rich harmonic language of music that hasn't been created in the last 50 years.

No one's going to agree with you because you're going about this the entire wrong way. Pop music has been around far longer than "classical music"--there are celtic anthems that go back to the 6th and 7th centuries, even before that. And by pop music I mean POPULAR music, music that is accepted by the mainstream public.

A pissing contest won't be started here. This business of "I can read a chord, can you?" is just childish. I have written music. I have professionally played music in front of audiences. I learned by ear. I can't read music but I can understand it. Music isn't about reading as much as it's about feeling. Hell Mozart was "writing" music before he knew how to write at all. Beethoven couldn't even hear his own music. But I guarantee you he could feel it.

I personally love classical music--I love just about all music because there's an understanding that I have of it, and a personal connection that I have with it. It has nothing to do with education, as far as what books will tell you or what not. The best way to understand music is to LISTEN to it, and to FEEL it.

Blaming the Beatles? That's absurd.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:01 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
I dont think Hillary or Obama will get the nomination by the DNC. This could get ugly.

Do you really think the Al Gore as a darkhorse rumor could come true?

Al Gore really thinks that global warming is a big problem but he may not be right.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:01 pm 

I agree with you there Boilermaker Rick. That defense was playing like a top-five defense once Harris was fully healthy. Urlacher was playing better as the year went on. And I still think Vasher is the best player in the secondary. They were still good, but they'll be back to dominant next year. We all know the offensive problems, but regression to the mean, right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:02 pm 

pizza_Place: Geo's Pizza
Why do you guys gotta move shit around.

I said...

From what I remember from the few music classes I took, the Beatles were considered more influential for experimenting and evolving studio recordings and sound effects. I would have to do a bit of research to get what the effects were and who/how they impacted future music.

I believe that over the past thirty years, bands have moved away from trying to learn the theory behind the music and instead just play whatever sounds good to them. Or, they essentially steal whatever is going on at the time and change it slightly. Its simple, yes. But I think it may also be a general trend towards the arts. Can you name the last great artist? Dali? Now people think that a bucket of urine with a cross in it is art. But it's simple. And that's what people seem to like now. They like simple music with a simple riff. I can't say I didn't partially blame the Beatles for this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:04 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

Do you really think the Al Gore as a darkhorse rumor could come true?

Al Gore really thinks that global warming is a big problem but he may not be right.

He might be.

Affirmative Action is a bullshit, racist policy though.

To rock my soul

Post subject:

Irish Boy wrote:
I agree with you there Boilermaker Rick. That defense was playing like a top-five defense once Harris was fully healthy. Urlacher was playing better as the year went on. And I still think Vasher is the best player in the secondary. They were still good, but they'll be back to dominant next year. We all know the offensive problems, but regression to the mean, right?

It depends greatly on the draft. "Imagine" a draft where they get a solid RB, WR, and OL in the first three rounds and a QB of the future. That would be quite a "revolution" of the offense and I think the entire team could really "come together".

Post subject:

well who the fuck is going to read a music debate in the movies section

goddamnit.

where's my FUH-KING GUY STINK WHEN YOU NEED HIM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:05 pm 

W_Z wrote:
i'm replying to what irish boy said to me here...

Irish Boy wrote:
No, but I can read a chord. I know the rules of counterpoint. I know what "minor" means. Etc, etc. If it counds harsh to say that people don't know these things are musically illiterate, well, I don't know what to say. Is there a less harsh word for "not able to read and understand music"?

Anyone else can go and state their opinion. Go crazy. No one is going to agree with me anyway, and I don't particularly mind. But it's like me having an argument with you about a book I haven't read- or even better, having an argument with someone who doesn't know how to read. If you don't know the building blocks of music, then what are we supposed to base our opinions on music around, exactly? And if you do, then come at me with that. Music is art, and art is an intellectual endeavor (the anti-intellectualism of all discussions of music is partly the result of the Beatles as well.)

And if any of this offends you or anyone else, and you fancy yourself a big music person, do yourself a favor: buy an introductory music theory book. Learn something about the rich harmonic language of music that hasn't been created in the last 50 years.

No one's going to agree with you because you're going about this the entire wrong way. Pop music has been around far longer than "classical music"--there are celtic anthems that go back to the 6th and 7th centuries, even before that. And by pop music I mean POPULAR music, music that is accepted by the mainstream public.

A pissing contest won't be started here. This business of "I can read a chord, can you?" is just childish. I have written music. I have professionally played music in front of audiences. I learned by ear. I can't read music but I can understand it. Music isn't about reading as much as it's about feeling. Hell Mozart was "writing" music before he knew how to write at all. Beethoven couldn't even hear his own music. But I guarantee you he could feel it.

I personally love classical music--I love just about all music because there's an understanding that I have of it, and a personal connection that I have with it. It has nothing to do with education, as far as what books will tell you or what not. The best way to understand music is to LISTEN to it, and to FEEL it.

Blaming the Beatles? That's absurd.

:cheers: :salut:

To rock my soul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:06 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Irish Boy wrote:

It depends greatly on the draft. "Imagine" a draft where they get a solid RB, WR, and OL in the first three rounds and a QB of the future. That would be quite a "revolution" of the offense and I think the entire team could really "come together".

I think the Cubs need another top pitcher. Lilly isnt cutting it as a #2.

To rock my soul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:08 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
Affirmative Action is a bullshit, racist policy though.

Affirmative Action will become obsolete if Barack Obama gets an I-pass.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:08 pm 

Lyrics are poetry, but that is not a negative thing at all as poetry is in fact it's own art. Poetry captures the emotions and beliefs of a person, a generation, a situation, a society, etc.

I found it interesting that a lot of the music out there in the 90s to 2000's have had some of the same anti-war protesting lyrics as the 70's, yet it has not resulted in anything of what happened in the 70's. Its amazing to then talk to teenagers who listen to rage against the machine and yet don't understand what the lyrics are trying to get people to do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:09 pm 

Beethoven knew how to complete a cadence. You almost proved my point: Beethoven didn't even need to listen to the music because he had such an advanced understanding of the musical language. Your point about popular music and ethnic music isn't incompatible with mine because my claim is for a very specific type strain in musical history. The Ancient Greeks had music and it probably sucked equally with the Beatles. I don't particularly care.

In the end, it's going to come down to whatever you like. Most aesthetic arguments do. But my problem is that people who cannot speak in musical language cannot justify what they like. It's all generalities; it sounds cool, it makes me feel good, it was original, whatever. We'd never talk about anything else that way. We quote books. We look at the use of light or shadow or whatever for paintings. Only for music do we say anything like "it sounds cool." If nothing else it's worthwhile to learn the musical language so that you can both justify your opinions and so that you can duplicate, or expand upon, anything worthwhile that might be there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:09 pm 

W_Z wrote:
well who the fuck is going to read a music debate in the movies section

goddamnit.

where's my FUH-KING GUY STINK WHEN YOU NEED HIM

Relax... have some dip!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:11 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Irish Boy wrote:

You're just trying to get under my skin, asshole. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:12 pm 

i. will never. do. this. again. :oops:

i must hurry back to my comic book store, where i dispense the insults, rather than absorb them.

Post subject:

Irish Boy wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Irish Boy wrote:

You wanna brawl at the CSFMB fight night?

Post subject:

Quote:
From what I remember from the few music classes I took, the Beatles were considered more influential for experimenting and evolving studio recordings and sound effects. I would have to do a bit of research to get what the effects were and who/how they impacted future music

That's not a bad point. They were original in a very superficial way. They did a lot of things for the first time that had very little to do with music as its properly understood.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:13 pm 

Why are you arguing about the Beatles? The Rolling Stones are clearly the better band.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:14 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Irish Boy wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Irish Boy wrote:

You wanna brawl at the CSFMB fight night?

Will we be the undercard?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:14 pm 

Irish Boy wrote:
In the end, it's going to come down to whatever you like. Most aesthetic arguments do. But my problem is that people who cannot speak in musical language cannot justify what they like. It's all generalities; it sounds cool, it makes me feel good, it was original, whatever. We'd never talk about anything else that way. We quote books. We look at the use of light or shadow or whatever for paintings. Only for music do we say anything like "it sounds cool." If nothing else it's worthwhile to learn the musical language so that you can both justify your opinions and so that you can duplicate, or expand upon, anything worthwhile that might be there.

But thats because music is something you FEEL, like Zach said. Who are you to tell someone that the Beatles suck and they ruined music? Like I said before, I could talk to you and musically define what I like about the Beatles, although I could talk about the Dead better, but I still dont think it will prove anything. You like what you like, other like what they like. Saying John Lennon ruined music, I guess its your opinion, but dont opine about it like its fact.

To rock my soul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:15 pm 

Irish Boy wrote:
Quote:
From what I remember from the few music classes I took, the Beatles were considered more influential for experimenting and evolving studio recordings and sound effects. I would have to do a bit of research to get what the effects were and who/how they impacted future music

That's not a bad point. They were original in a very superficial way. They did a lot of things for the first time that had very little to do with music as its properly understood.

Alot of that can be attributed to George Martin. He was a fantastic producer.

To rock my soul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Little Caesar's
I definitley prefer the Yankees to the Red Sox. Ruth, Gehrig, Mantle, Jeter are way better than anyone the Sawks can bring.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:17 pm 

Irish Boy wrote:
We'd never talk about anything else that way. We quote books. We look at the use of light or shadow or whatever for paintings. Only for music do we say anything like "it sounds cool."

No, there are paintings that people will say "just look cool" or movies that people liked that they'll say "that was cool" or "that looked cool" or "that sucked"...uh, it's just being simple. has nothing to do with the art itself.

Quote:
Beethoven knew how to complete a cadence. You almost proved my point: Beethoven didn't even need to listen to the music because he had such an advanced understanding of the musical language. Your point about popular music and ethnic music isn't incompatible with mine because my claim is for a very specific type strain in musical history. The Ancient Greeks had music and it probably sucked equally with the Beatles. I don't particularly care.

Ok but your argument was that the Beatles, or more specifically, John Lennon, ruined music. If music "sucked" since the Ancient Greeks, how did the Beatles ruin it?

My point isn't about ethnic or popular music--there is ethnic music that is popular music--popular isn't a genre, it's a generality. Rap is ethnic, but it has also been accepted as popular. Same with techno, rock and roll, and rhythm and blues.

It's not like "classical music" was considered classical back then, it was popular music.

Last edited by W_Z on Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:19 pm 

Colonel Angus wrote:
I definitley prefer the Yankees to the Red Sox. Ruth, Gehrig, Mantle, Jeter are way better than anyone the Sawks can bring.

I would make an argument that the Dodgers had a larger impact on the sport of baseball and "nationalized" the game.

I also think that Dusty Baker is wrongly vilified for his time in Chicago.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:25 pm 

Quote:
Ok but your argument was that the Beatles, or more specifically, John Lennon, ruined music. If music "sucked" since the Ancient Greeks, how did the Beatles ruin it?

Because the greatest strain of music was killed largely as a result of his music. I don't think music was always good, it needed to be built.

Quote:
It's not like "classical music" was considered classical back then, it was popular music.

It's not good because it's old, it's good because it's good. It was good then too. People just had better taste until, oh, around 1960 or so.

For you philosophy lovers out there, Nietzsche's first book deals with the inherent tension in music as an art. One part of it is "Apollonian", that is, you think about it, ruminate on it, etc. The other is "Dionysian", it appeals to raw emotions, you can't explain it away. Nietzsche argued that music needed more of the latter and less of the former. I'm arguing that there no longer is no Apollonian aspect to music; it doesn't exist. I still think that's a useful framework for thinking about music as an art.