It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 1:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: =W= 10/2/08
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:40 pm 

I know most of you won't care because I think I may be the only Weezer fan left at my age...but I still love seeing them live. I've seen them 3 times, and they've put on better shows each time I've seen them.

This had a 3 band lineup, and the second band was Tom DeLong's new band, Angels & Airwaves. I said this in the Cubs section, but holy SHIT what a light show. The music was pretty bland, and DeLong I think is trying too hard to sound like he's a grown up "musician" when he still bleats lyrics that are as simple as retarded arithmetic. But the light show more than made up for it and kept the energy up. He also seemed to genuinely enjoy himself up on stage, and engaged the crowd pretty well.

When Weezer came on, the entire crowd moved forward (usual) and I actually got a better view because of it. They played some interesting covers, including Oasis' "Morning Glory" and Nirvana's "Sliver"; and they did a rather creative thing that could have been disastrous, but wound up being rather endearing and cute--they had like 30 kids up on stage (ranging from all years of high school, couple of people in their early 20's) and all had different, unique instruments, and played "Island in the Sun" and "Beverly Hills". That was pretty much their encore...then Weezer came back on once more to finish it off with "Buddy Holly".

They did play some good stuff from "Pinkerton", but they played only a few from the Blue Album. They opened with "My Name is Jonas", and they did play "Undone" and "Say it Ain't So"...but I was hoping to hear my favorite song from them, "In the Garage".

All in all, a great friggin night. Got there early and grabbed a beer at Chili's before my friends showed up, and wound up somehow getting a beer on the house (bartender was well taken care of for that), and talking to this dude who had a great taste in music as well (he went to the my bloody valentine show), and made sure I got my buzz on before going into the concert where...it's $7.50 for a *BUDWEISER*. After paying $20 for parking and $60 for the ticket, I wasn't buying shit after that...

But it was a pretty great night, even if I didn't get a whole lot of sleep. Weezer may not know how to put out a great album anymore but they can still put on a great show.

Post subject: Re: =W= 10/2/08
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:45 pm 

pizza_Place: Kaiser's - Kenosha
$60 for a Weezer ticket? Brutal. I think my MBV tix were $40 a piece face value sans BS TM fees, but I still thought that was a bargain.

Anything after Pinkerton? Brutal. (Except for maybe "Photograph" and "Knock-down-drag-out" from the green record.

How times have changed.
Last time I saw Weezer was September 3, 2000. At Metro.
According to my stub, tix were 15.50, (19.75 after TM charged me $4.25 a piece for the 'convenience' of them taking my money.)

So to sum up, I used to love Weezer.... when I was in my very early 20's.
Now that I'm an old fogie, I just don't care enough anymore.
Still listen to the debut and Pinkerton once in a blue moon, but for $60 at the Horiz.....
Allstate Arena, no thanks. :)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:33 am 

Shirtless...I repeat...they can't put out a great album anymore...but they still put on a great show.

I hate paying that kinda money if it ain't worth it, but it was...no regrets.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:56 am 

pizza_Place: Kaiser's - Kenosha
I was only sayin I saw them at Metro, 8 years ago. when they were good.
And how do they put on a "great show" ? I fucking saw Nick Cave last sunday, that was a great show.
Never mind, I'm pissed, I'm drunk, my baby was a holy terror today, my sister's wedding and I still haven't read watchmen yet. And my Cubs.

I'm a drooling mess.
Wanna listen to Goff more, but it's 2.
bedtime.

I am so pisssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssed.

G'Night

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:58 am 

shirtless driver wrote:
I was only sayin I saw them at Metro, 8 years ago. when they were good.
And how do they put on a "great show" ? I fucking saw Nick Cave last sunday, that was a great show.
Never mind, I'm pissed, I'm drunk, my baby was a holy terror today, my sister's wedding and I still haven't read watchmen yet. And my Cubs.

I'm a drooling mess.
Wanna listen to Goff more, but it's 2.
bedtime.

I am so pisssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssed.

G'Night

i'm drinking too...no worries.

They put on a great show because they had great showmanship toward the fans. They weren't predictable. They mixed it up. Rivers was very energetic, and the energy permeated the entire crowd.

That's what I call a great show. That's what performers are supposed to do...GET THAT, CUBS??!!!