It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 4:30 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:09 am 

RIP to the Lead singer

The song of its generation.

Not the best, not the most popular, but Id argue it represents things that go along with the generation more than any other song.

The girl lead singer who wasnt smoking hot was big thing in the 90's

That generation brought Karoke to prominence and there can be no more of a Karoke song than "I touch myself"

This brings us to the changes females made in this and generations after this. Women being the sexual pursuer and singing this song while pantomiming actually touching themselves

The self loathing suggested in the song "I love myself (no you dont), I want you to love me(see you NEED his love to underscore your own)" is an undeniably 90's thing

If it came out in the 80s it would have been overly synthesized like The Bangles. Instead it was put on a pretty good rock song.

Some would argue Nirvana, Pearl Jam etc, but that's not what the 90's were really about. We werent really depressed. That was just the trend at the time. We were obsessed with being cool and flannel was the order of the day.

The true thing that happened in the 90's was we all decided that our own lives were very important and we were all individually deep. But we werent. We were just trying to be cool. We all just wanted someone to love us as much as we loved ourselves.

This just all came to me the other day....I wasnt exactly sober.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:19 am 

pizza_Place: Four hours away....and on fire :-(
So you're saying the '90s were spent with a bunch of smacking our puds around and flicking our beans.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:22 am 

redskingreg wrote:
So you're saying the '90s were spent with a bunch of smacking our puds around and flicking our beans.

More or less

I just think the shallow nature of the song represents the time better than Smells Like Teen Spirit or Yellow Ledbetter etc

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:26 am 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
I pretty much gave up on popular music in the late 80s, so can't comment. DJ Jazzy Jeff pretty much sent me to classic rock purgatory.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:29 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
rogers park bryan wrote:
The self loathing suggested in the song "I love myself (no you dont), I want you to love me(see you NEED his love to underscore your own)" is an undeniably 90's thing..

Some would argue Nirvana, Pearl Jam etc, but that's not what the 90's were really about. We werent really depressed...

How are these mutually exclusive?
Aside from one or two songs each, PJ and Nirvana weren't writing depressing songs, imo.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:32 am 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
redskingreg wrote:

I'd argue it hasnt changed for me in the 00's or 10's.

:(

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:36 am 

doug - evergreen park wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
The self loathing suggested in the song "I love myself (no you dont), I want you to love me(see you NEED his love to underscore your own)" is an undeniably 90's thing..

Some would argue Nirvana, Pearl Jam etc, but that's not what the 90's were really about. We werent really depressed...

How are these mutually exclusive?
Aside from one or two songs each, PJ and Nirvana weren't writing depressing songs, imo.

Perhaps, but looking back people associate that time in music with depression. Maybe due to Cobain killing himself, but that seems to be the thing people label grunge as.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:21 pm 
1000 CLUB

I think you associate that time with depression.
I certainly do not. April of 1994 may have been depressing, but the rest of the 90s were anything but.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:04 pm 

I think you associate that time with depression.

Certainly not.

I certainly do not. April of 1994 may have been depressing, but the rest of the 90s were anything but.

I disagree. Especially with how people remember the music from that time.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:06 pm 

I realize Wiki is not perfect, but its usually a pretty good barometer of the majority

Grunge (sometimes referred to as the Seattle sound) is a subgenre of alternative rock that emerged during the mid-1980s in the American state of Washington, particularly in the Seattle area. Inspired by hardcore punk, heavy metal, and indie rock, grunge is generally characterized by heavily distorted electric guitars, contrasting song dynamics, and apathetic or angst-filled lyrics.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:32 pm 
1000 CLUB

that doesn't make grunge depressing any more than metal makes you angry...another fallacy.

anyway, this song does not remind me of being a 90s Gen X-er. It was just a popular song....or was it?

Other popular songs: "Loser", "Got the Life", "1979", "Prison Sex"

Some dude calling himself the Rock Czar came up with a list. Top 300 90s "Rock" songs.
It's not a bad list at all. I looked through it three times and haven't found a rock song about touching ones self.

http://www.therockczar.com/rock-genre/t ... ngs-part-1

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:05 pm 
1000 CLUB

that doesn't make grunge depressing any more than metal makes you angry...another fallacy.

Well said. I was a militant metal head in high school. Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth, Anthrax, Mercyful Fate, it's about all I listened to. But I was a happy and outgoing, not angry. Speed metal is good for people with OCD. Grunge didn't depress me either.

Let's do it for Johnny!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:18 pm 

that doesn't make grunge depressing any more than metal makes you angry...another fallacy

Well that was largely my point that any label of angst ridden or depression was inaccurate

anyway, this song does not remind me of being a 90s Gen X-er. It was just a popular song....or was it?
:twisted:
Other popular songs: "Loser", "Got the Life", "1979", "Prison Sex

Well for me just reminds me of a lot of things that I remember about that time and that generation

And let me reiterate....
rogers park bryan wrote:
this all just came to me the other day....I wasn't exactly sober