It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 4:26 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Van Halen
PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:53 pm 

Been listening to them a lot lately. Had kinda forgotten just how good they really were.

One of the greatest lead guitar players of all time.

One of the greatest drummers of all time.

One of the greatest frontmen of all time.

And what other band could lose one of the greatest frontmen of all time and still keep going at such a high level with Hagar?

Impressive resume.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

Post subject: Re: Van Halen
PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
I use to fool around with some girl I knew and we'd have parties at her house all the time. One night we were playing music hooked up to my buddie's ipod and everyone got to take turns picking a song. I picked 'Ain't Talkin Bout Love' and she made a comment along the lines of "ewwwww, turn this off". Never talked to her again.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
My #3 Greatest Hits band behind Tom Petty and the Cars. Best of Both Worlds and only Best of Both Worlds is a must-have, but still, what's with the bullshit new tracks? No one needs those!

Hockey Gay wrote:
I picked 'Ain't Talkin Bout Love' and she made a comment along the lines of "ewwwww, turn this off". Never talked to her again.

That worthless slattern. I mean, "Hot for Teacher," I'd get, but...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:17 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
I have been a huge fan of theirs forever. In my mind the only cd/band for me on a desert island.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:20 pm 

VAN HALEN SONG RANKING

Jump
Right Now
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Eruption/You Really Got Me
Everybody Wants Some (thank you, Committed Indian)
Dance the Night Away
Jamie's Cryin'
Panama
Schmitt's Gay Beer
Feels So Good
Dreams
Runnin' with the Devil
Top of the World
all songs with Gary Cherone
Hot for Teacher

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:44 pm 

Panama is their best song IMO. It showcases all of their strengths. Great guitar piece. Great drum spots. Allows DLR to be the crazy good frontman he was.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:27 pm 

pizza_Place: Lucano's
Curious Hair wrote:
VAN HALEN SONG RANKING

Jump
Right Now
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Eruption/You Really Got Me
Everybody Wants Some (thank you, Committed Indian)
Dance the Night Away
Jamie's Cryin'
Panama
Schmitt's Gay Beer
Feels So Good
Dreams
Runnin' with the Devil
Top of the World
all songs with Gary Cherone
Hot for Teacher

As one of the board's VH experts, I have to say that any list with Jump at the top of it is not a very good list. I know it's their only number 1 song, but it sucks.

Feels So Good is even worse.

Upon reading your list again, it had to be a joke. All of the Cherone songs?! WTF?!

Schmitz Gay is classic. When SNL ran reruns, they dubbed in a different song as VH didn't take too kindly to Beautiful Girls being used in a fake beer commercial and had the song pulled.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:29 pm 

i really like "dance the night away". may be my favorite radio track from them.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:47 pm 

Ed_from_Lisle wrote:
Upon reading your list again, it had to be a joke. All of the Cherone songs?! WTF?!

Well, that part is a joke. I just hate "Hot for Teacher." IT'S SO LAME. It's the "Runnin' Down a Dream" of the VH comp.

No shame on "Jump," though. And "Feels So Good" has a great organ line.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Bojono's on Clarendon
EDIT: Wrong thread.

Everthing including and after 1984 sucks. Sorry. Carry on.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:55 pm 

pizza_Place: Gem City
Van has some great songs but no great albums.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:11 pm 

Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:

I feel the same way about the Stones, but even Forty Licks starts getting into total crap. I mean what is that stuff at the end, even?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:11 pm 

Yeah but see with Petty and the Cars and VH, even when they have an album that's not that bad, you don't need it when the greatest hits collection is so damn good.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:31 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's
Curious Hair wrote:
Yeah but see with Petty and the Cars and VH, even when they have an album that's not that bad, you don't need it when the greatest hits collection is so damn good.

That's crazy talk. I'd much rather listen to a proper VH record than someone else's idea of "greatest hits." Hagar/Cherone songs I'm not interested in? Pass.

I had a greatest hits comp. by the Cars and it neglected some stellar cuts from the first two albums. Again, pass.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:07 pm 

Keeping Score wrote:
I'll Wait, Top Jimmy and Drop Dead Legs are all severely underrated from 1984.

"I'll Wait" sounds like the music that channel 50 would have played before a Sox game, accompanied by that really rudimentary rainbow-trail CGI from "Blame It on the Boogie."

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:20 pm 

I refuse to acknowledge Van Hagar.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:56 am 

Then you're no better than that girl who didn't like "Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love." Look: I'm sure percentage-wise, most of Van Hagar was shit, but how does anyone not like "Right Now"? "Right Now" is part of what it means to have grown up in the '90s.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:16 am 

Curious Hair wrote:
Then you're no better than that girl who didn't like "Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love." Look: I'm sure percentage-wise, most of Van Hagar was shit, but how does anyone not like "Right Now"? "Right Now" is part of what it means to have grown up in the '90s.

Why you gotta be like that? Jerk!

Van Hagar isn't my thing, I don't hate it though. If you played "Right Now" at a party I wouldn't make some cuntish comment about it towards you. Or maybe I would, depends on how drunk I am.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:07 am 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
Curious Hair wrote:

"Right Now" is the greatest VH song ever.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:05 am 

Curious Hair wrote:

There's no tomorrow

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:09 am 

Scorehead wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

"Right Now" is the greatest VH song ever.

Yikes...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:17 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
Curious Hair wrote:
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:

I feel the same way about the Stones, but even Forty Licks starts getting into total crap. I mean what is that stuff at the end, even?

I'm not sure how you could say that. Sticky Fingers might be the pinnacle of the album as a medium for recorded music. If not, maybe Beggar's Banquet is.

A "greatest hits" collection is an abomination. A distortion of an artist's original vision created by a record company or an artist himself for nothing more than commercial gain. It's no different than changing the ending of a movie to sell more DVDs.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:36 am 

pizza_Place: Kaiser's - Kenosha
I love 5150 and Ou812.
Mine All Mine and Feels So good are 2 of my favorite VH songs.

Finish What You Started can suck a dick, tho'.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:39 pm 
1000 CLUB

Van Halen's debut album is still one of my favorite albums of all time. Ice Cream Man is just fucking awesome!

Let's do it for Johnny!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:19 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
I'm not sure how you could say that. Sticky Fingers might be the pinnacle of the album as a medium for recorded music. If not, maybe Beggar's Banquet is.

Well, I generally dislike the Rolling Stones, so there you go. Though I do think "Gimme Shelter" is in the conversation for best rock song ever. I mean, there are maybe five or six songs of theirs I really like, but so many more that I hate. I turn the dial the split-second I hear those shrill little choirboys in "You Can't Always Get What You Want." "Start Me Up" utterly drains me of my vital essence. I feel my soul slumping in my chair and sliding all the way to the ground, turning into a puddle, and soaking into the carpet, lost and gone forever. Just terrible.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:01 am 
1000 CLUB

Sammy Halen- Poundcake, Summer Nights and Seventh Seal Are good.

Love Walks In? Dreams? Finish what You Started? Right Now?

Seriously? All the girls like that stuff.

David Lee Halen- Every Album thru 84 is excellent. Fair Warning most Under rated Album

Mean streets, Unchained, Dirty MOvies.

Please say which pre Hagar album sucked. Quit talkin out your ass.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:09 am 

pizza_Place: Papa Johns
Mr. Belvidere wrote:
Sammy Halen- Poundcake, Summer Nights and Seventh Seal Are good.

Love Walks In? Dreams? Finish what You Started? Right Now?

Seriously? All the girls like that stuff.

David Lee Halen- Every Album thru 84 is excellent. Fair Warning most Under rated Album

Mean streets, Unchained, Dirty MOvies.

Please say which pre Hagar album sucked. Quit talkin out your ass.

Splendid post.

I have to agree with this, 100%, except that Diver Down was sort of lame but in its defense it was supposed to be just an A/B side single with Dancing in the Streets or whatever it was. Produced to keep their name out there, instead it became a cover album of sorts.

Van Halen I/II are great. I love Fair Warning, love it. 1984 was good but signaled a change of sorts. Van Hagar has some good songs, but the terrible ones outnumber them.

Three Questions:

1.) What's superior - 5150 or Eat 'Em and Smile? (Eat 'Em and Smile is my pick)
2.)What are the "best" Van Hagar albums? (OU812 for me)
3.)Do any of the Van Hagar albums stack up against Roth-era VH albums? (IMO, not really, no.)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:22 am 

pizza_Place: Lucano's
SomeGuy wrote:
I have to agree with this, 100%, except that Diver Down was sort of lame but in its defense it was supposed to be just an A/B side single with Dancing in the Streets or whatever it was. Produced to keep their name out there, instead it became a cover album of sorts.

(OH) Pretty Woman was the song they released before Diver Down was even conceived. There's even a really stupid video for it. The reason the instrumental Intruder exists is due to the length of the video for Pretty Woman. It was too long and the song was too short.

As far as dissing DD, it's probably my least favorite, but I still love it. How could you not love it simply for Little Guitars? Fucking great song.

I was definitely in the Dave camp when they broke up, but the first concert I saw was 5150 (BTO opened). I loathed Sammy at the beginning but grew to enjoy the music they made. Do I think it holds up to the first 6 VH albums? Hell no, but I really like songs like Don't Tell Me (What Love Can Do), Humans Being, Amsterdam, Finish What Ya Started, Black and Blue, Judgement Day, Runaround, Top of the World, 5150, Summer Nights, Get Up.

But, the Hagar era also ushered in some of their worst songs, which I don't need to get into.

Roth? Hagar? To me, it's an easy choice, but as Mac always says as the Swirsk, "That's why there's vanilla, and that's why there's chocolate."

Here's the video for Pretty Woman: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWQRDI7mTyw

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:01 am 

pizza_Place: Papa Johns
Ed_from_Lisle wrote:
SomeGuy wrote:

(OH) Pretty Woman was the song they released before Diver Down was even conceived. There's even a really stupid video for it. The reason the instrumental Intruder exists is due to the length of the video for Pretty Woman. It was too long and the song was too short.

As far as dissing DD, it's probably my least favorite, but I still love it. How could you not love it simply for Little Guitars? Fucking great song.

I was definitely in the Dave camp when they broke up, but the first concert I saw was 5150 (BTO opened). I loathed Sammy at the beginning but grew to enjoy the music they made. Do I think it holds up to the first 6 VH albums? Hell no, but I really like songs like Don't Tell Me (What Love Can Do), Humans Being, Amsterdam, Finish What Ya Started, Black and Blue, Judgement Day, Runaround, Top of the World, 5150, Summer Nights, Get Up.

But, the Hagar era also ushered in some of their worst songs, which I don't need to get into.

Roth? Hagar? To me, it's an easy choice, but as Mac always says as the Swirsk, "That's why there's vanilla, and that's why there's chocolate."

Here's the video for Pretty Woman: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWQRDI7mTyw

Pretty Woman, that's the song I was searching for, I believe they were going to release it just as a single, right? But ended up making a full album. I love Little Guitars, WHATGTG is a solid rendition and Intruder is cool. Other than that it's a throw away album, neat and all but a speed bump on the way to 1984.

You have to hand it to DLR, though, he definitely can do a sweet cover.

And as for chocolate and vanilla....we got both during the DLR/Hagar tour 10 or so years ago. I was there at the Tweeter Center (as it was called then) and it was a great show.