It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:22 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
http://pitchfork.com/news/53721-the-afg ... the-beast/

Quote:
Now, 16 years after they released last album 1965, the band are back with a new LP. It's called Do to the Beast and it's out via Sub Pop on April 14 in Europe and April 15 in North America.

Prior to their on-stage reunion in 2012, the band got together in 2006 to record two new songs for their compilation Unbreakable: "Magazine" and "I'm a Soldier".
The new album also marks the band's return to Sub Pop, who put out 1990's Up in It and 1992's Congregation and Uptown Avondale EP.

This is awesome. I have high hopes for this one, because Dulli has still been doing good work under the Twilight Singers banner (though no album comes close to any Whigs album), and the Afghan Whigs songs since the breakup -- those two aforementioned plus a cover of Frank Ocean's "Lovecrimes" -- have been terrific. Sky-high album of the year potential on this one.

One of the best bands ever. Makes Nirvana and Pearl Jam look like piles of shit. No one else could do grunge with so much swagger.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:53 pm 

pizza_Place: Milano's
i actually kind of like Twilight Singers more than the Whigs

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:59 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
Sweet...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
Bagels wrote:
i actually kind of like Twilight Singers more than the Whigs

There are some Twilight Singers songs I'd put right up there with the Whigs' best -- "Teenage Wristband," "That's Just How That Bird Sings," "Papillon," "Bonnie Brae," to name a few -- but no one album of theirs is ever as strong as Gentlemen, Black Love, or 1965. Twilight as Played by the Twilight Singers comes closest; unsurprisingly it's the one chronologically closest to the Afghan Whigs. But man, if "Bonnie Brae" wasn't a huge radio hit, how was it not?

I never got into the collaboration between Greg Dulli and Mark Lanegan at all. I can't even remember the name now. Downloaded the album and deleted it.