It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2024 9:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: My Summer Albums
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 8:24 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
So, with nearly 18 hours of flight time over the Atlantic and back, I was finally able to listen to some music long form. Some of you may know, I don't really listen to music very much unless it is coming out of my guitar amps...So, I had a lot of catching up to do.

311 - Sterolithic: If you like 311, it's one of their best albums ever. A top 3 for me.

Pharrell - G I R L: This album is fucking awesome. It just took me a bit to dig in and feel the grooves on this one.

Korn - The Paradigm Shift: Easily their best effort since Follow The Leader. Brian Welch being back in the band has helped considerably. The songs are all 3:45-4:15 long and just crush from start to end.

Joe Satriani - Unstoppable Momentum: Wow. Just...Wow. While I believe Steve Vai can play anything, Joe writes such damn good songs. Plus I am reading his new book too, so that was a nice combo. Read Joe, Listen Joe.

Damon Albarn - Everyday Robots: He has one of the coolest voices ever. I love his use of sounds for drums and percussion.

Down IV. - Part 2 (EP): It's Phil Anselmo singing over Pepper Keenen riffs. Pantera and Corrosion of Conformity. Songs are LONG...but has all that sludgy goodness. This e.p. feels like warm stale beer, cigs, and pizza.

Post subject: Re: My Summer Albums
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 9:19 am 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
oh wow i'm ready for this because i've been working on a mp3 player enema,. and since i'm usiong the phone that means ~42gb of total space so likely ~37gb of mp3s... it's a load.

front line assembly - hard wired: FLA was one of those industrial/ebm bands i always knew i should know more by (and i always used to mix them up with sister machine gun, the latter of whom i saw with chemlab and drill back in 96 on the night of my first proper rave at some roller rink off of the dan ryan @ 95th) and because of this mp3 player enema i'm doing my legwork and holy shit this is just a fantastic album. i mean holy shit this song wasn't even good enough to make the cut for the proper LP so it had to be tossed on the bonus disc and i dont think it's a dickhead move like when squarepusher puts the best track (angel integer) on the special bonus CD only available with the deluxe $40-50 vinyl version of his latest album cuz he's all about rewarding his deep cuts ppl like that.

ahem.

chance the rapper - 10day ---- even tho his later EP/LP/mixtape/whatever "acid rap" is the one that pitchfork's resident wankers say it's quite ok for you to like, i tend to be fascinated with the first EP/LP/mixtape/whatever that rappers put out b4 they were formally accepted and hooked up with props.... you know, the stuff with the desperation of someone who wants to break out of the 9-5-osphere and live a life of art.... or well, whatever you'd call a rapper's life if not art (stylishly branded hedonism?) --- this song right here off'a 10day reminds me of the juggaknots' "a rainy saturday" so much it's not right.... and speaking of not right a 17 year old kid on a 10day suspension from high school made this. i gotta get my game up >> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76-7RoeWWw0

bogdan raczynski - samurai math beats ---- on a nostalgia kick i had to pull up this old LP to remember the good times with this wholly immature and oddly personal computer music (it was str8up made with a tracker as far as i know) ---- but hey if you're of the school of musical anima/thought that i'm from there's no problem whatsoever with wanting to be as personal and human with your electronic music as aphex twin. especially if you fancy releasing your music on aphex twin's record label as bogdan did.

and oh shit i think i gotta send this msg in cuz i prolly have too many URLs

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 9:22 am 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
Hey, good thread! I'm big on seasonal music associations. Some of these are albums I can listen to whenever, others require it to be summer.

XTC - Skylarking: You haven't lived till you've listened to this album on a nice scenic summer run. If you go past a lake that's glistening while "Earn Enough For Us" is playing with that sparkly guitar riff, or "Mermaid Smiled," ohhhh man, it just tickles the deep pleasure center of your brain. The whole album is perfect for warm sunny days, really.

Camper Van Beethoven - Key Lime Pie: one of the best albums of all time, if you ask me, but it's especially good during the summer.

Talk Talk - The Colour of Spring

Afghan Whigs - 1965

Neil Young - Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere

New Radicals - Maybe You've Been Brainwashed Too

Ben Folds - Rockin' the Suburbs

Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Fever to Tell: this is a great one for running. I don't think one song has come in, did its thing, and gotten out of the way for the next song this well since More Songs About Buildings and Food. On that note,

Talking Heads - More Songs About Buildings and Food

ON PROBATION FOR POTENTIAL SUMMER RAWKIN':
Real Estate - Atlas

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 2:23 pm 

Eagles of Death Metal - Peace, Love, Death Metal (Maybe one of the most perfect summer/BBQ/road trip albums of all time)
Tom Petty - Wildflowers
Fountains Of Wayne - Self Titled
The Rentals - The Return of the Rentals
Reverend Horton Heat - Liquor in the Front
Weezer - Blue Album

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 4:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Douchebag wrote:
Eagles
:D
Douchebag wrote:
of Death Metal
:(

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 9:54 pm 

pizza_Place: Kaiser's - Kenosha
Congregation - Afghan Whigs
Blood Sugar Sex Magik - Red Hot Chili peppers
Bloom - Beach House
Yield - Pearl Jam
Nothing's Shocking - Jane's Addiction
Wish - Cure
Bellybutton - Jellyfish

off the top off my head.............

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 10:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Curious Hair wrote:
Hey, good thread! I'm big on seasonal music associations. Some of these are albums I can listen to whenever, others require it to be summer.

XTC - Skylarking: You haven't lived till you've listened to this album on a nice scenic summer run. If you go past a lake that's glistening while "Earn Enough For Us" is playing with that sparkly guitar riff, or "Mermaid Smiled," ohhhh man, it just tickles the deep pleasure center of your brain. The whole album is perfect for warm sunny days, really.

At last another XTC fan on the board. Love this album. Thats really super, Supergirl, Sacrificial Bonfire, Mermaid Smiled, Earn Enough, just great stuff.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 11:47 pm 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
Tell me, do you like Talk Talk, too?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:52 am 

Wilco - Summerteeth

Pixies - Doolittle

Lit - A Place in the Sun

The Apples in Stereo - Tone Soul Evolution

Aerosmith - Permanent Vacation

Green Day - Dookie