It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 4:45 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Van Halen will make their first major TV performances since David Lee Roth rejoined the group in 2006. The first will take place over two nights on Jimmy Kimmel Live!, airing on March 30th and March 31st, and the second will be on Ellen on April 2nd. The group have also set a string of North American live dates, with the Kenny Wayne Shepherd Band opening for them, this summer and fall.

The band will tape its Kimmel performance on March 30th on Hollywood Boulevard, where they will play some of their greatest hits. That appearance coincides with the release of a new live record – their first to feature Roth – titled Tokyo Dome Live in Concert. The group recorded the 23-song set in Japan in 2013 and will release the album on March 31st.

The band has posted the versions of "Runnin' With the Devil" and "Panama" online that will appear on the album.

Van Halen are also putting out remastered reissues of the band's Van Halen and 1984 albums, which will also come out on March 31st. Remastered editions of the rest of the Roth-era Eighties catalog is due out later this spring. Each release has been re-cut from the original quarter-inch tapes for CD and 180-gram vinyl.

Both Roth and Eddie Van Halen have been active in recent months. The singer made an appearance at Foo Fighters' Los Angeles show in January, while the guitarist made a rare speaking appearance in Washington, D.C. to talk about his life at the Smithsonian. Eddie Van Halen also released a video, in which he offered close-ups of some of his most famous riffs to show off his new amp.

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... z3VLuQ4gqC
Follow us: @rollingstone on Twitter | RollingStone on Facebook

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:27 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
They toured after 2008 when I saw them. I am pissed when they are here I will be in LA for GF's daughter's wedding. I will see them somewhere though.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Lucano's
This is my favorite band going back many years. But simply put, Dave can't sing any more. I have bootlegs from their heyday, and while not the best singer, DLR was pretty good. When you factor in his stage presence, there weren't many better.

Nowadays, he has a weird fixation on this higher register, and he sounds terrible. I wish he would stop that crap but he apparently doesn't listen to anyone so he keeps doing it. The clips I've heard from the new live CD sound good from a musician standpoint. I just hope Dave doesn't sully this fan's love of a band I worshipped in my youth.

I don't have a good feeling.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:42 pm 

Ed_from_Lisle wrote:
This is my favorite band going back many years. But simply put, Dave can't sing any more. I have bootlegs from their heyday, and while not the best singer, DLR was pretty good. When you factor in his stage presence, there weren't many better.

Nowadays, he has a weird fixation on this higher register, and he sounds terrible. I wish he would stop that crap but he apparently doesn't listen to anyone so he keeps doing it. The clips I've heard from the new live CD sound good from a musician standpoint. I just hope Dave doesn't sully this fan's love of a band I worshipped in my youth.

Sadly you can never go back again Edju. Especially rock n rollers.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:45 pm 

Ed and Rouge you either take it or leave it with our worship. At least we aren't fucking Chus with a Band movie or a Already Dead concert in soldier field. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:54 pm 

pizza_Place: Papa Johns
pittmike wrote:
Ed and Rouge you either take it or leave it with our worship. At least we aren't fucking Chus with a Band movie or a Already Dead concert in soldier field. :lol:

:lol:
Good point, Pittmike, that shit is lame as hell.

Anyways, saw them a few years back at the U.C., a good show but Dave (as was mentioned) can't sing and it becomes more obvious without Michael Anthony in the line-up. He was a killer with his his vocals. Agree with Ed, as well, the upper register fixation is odd, almost like Dave thinks if he can hit those when it counts then he's golden as far as his voice goes....he could make his way through most of the material with Anthony there and him taking a realistic approach to things. But he isn't.

VH is still one of SomeGuy's favorites and definitely one of the most awesome bands of all time.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:01 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
Ed_from_Lisle wrote:

Yea, I don't think this is going to go well. I really wished I could have seen them back in the day.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
pittmike wrote:

I have taken up residence in your head permanently. I'm not even going to those shows. And his name is BadRogue, not BadRouge.

SomeGuy wrote:

Will Eddie and Dave be able to get through one week, before they are fighting like teenage girls?

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

Last edited by Chus on Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Caseys
SomeGuy wrote:
pittmike wrote:

Anyways, saw them a few years back at the U.C., a good show but Dave (as was mentioned) can't sing and it becomes more obvious without Michael Anthony in the line-up. He was a killer with his his vocals. Agree with Ed, as well, the upper register fixation is odd, almost like Dave thinks if he can hit those when it counts then he's golden as far as his voice goes....he could make his way through most of the material with Anthony there and him taking a realistic approach to things. But he isn't.

VH is still one of SomeGuy's favorites and definitely one of the most awesome bands of all time.

Hell most of the old guys from that era cannot hold a tune anymore. DLR was never that great a vocalist anyway. What a showman though. Seen them at least 5 times in the late 70's early to mid 80's they were fantastic. First album I had on vinyl wore it out. Listen to it on CD at least once a month. One of the best.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:07 pm 

Scooter wrote:
SomeGuy wrote:
pittmike wrote:

Hell most of the old guys from that era cannot hold a tune anymore. DLR was never that great a vocalist anyway. What a showman though. Seen them at least 5 times in the late 70's early to mid 80's they were fantastic. First album I had on vinyl wore it out. Listen to it on CD at least once a month. One of the best.

Their debut is certainly up there with the best of all time.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:11 pm 

badrogue17 wrote:
Scooter wrote:
SomeGuy wrote:
pittmike wrote:

Their debut is certainly up there with the best of all time.

Oh, absolutely. VH 1 was one of the best, VHII as a follow up was grand. I'll throw Fair Warning, 1984 as the best 4 albums. 5150, OU812 make it 5 and 6.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:18 pm 

All VH is good and as was posted above it is a showmanship of DLR that makes it fun. The music is great and EVH is God. BTW even if he cannot sing as well as Anthony his kid Wolf is just fine. I saw 2008 and most recent. Show is fine.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:19 pm 

This is definitely in the running for Best Thread Ever.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:21 pm 

Does Michael Anthony get to play, or does Eddie still have sand in his vagina because Michael and Sammy are friends?

<º)))><

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:24 pm 

Chus wrote:
Does Michael Anthony get to play, or does Eddie still have sand in his vagina because Michael and Sammy are friends?

Is it that troublesome for you to get the story? EVH has tried to axe Anthony since forever. He replaced him with his kid. The band is Van Halen. 3 out of 4 are Van Halen. Relax Phish boy.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:24 pm 

I really have great respect for Hagar also. Montrose is another album I wore out on vinyl. Best of Both Worlds is my favorite Van Hagar. song. Great tune.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:29 pm 

Scooter wrote:
I really have great respect for Hagar also. Montrose is another album I wore out on vinyl. Best of Both Worlds is my favorite Van Hagar. song. Great tune.

Chus is just being a dick. I was a big fan of Van Hagar as well. It was awesome.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:33 pm 

I prefer the original lineup but grew to appreciate the Hagar years. Songs like Don't Tell Me (What Love Can Do), Finish What Ya Started, Summer Nights, Humans Being, Runaround are faves from that era.

If you had asked me in high school who I would've wanted to hang out with, I would've easily said Dave. Now, it would either be Sammy or Michael. Everyone else is nuts.

Dave shaved his head completely bald and has tattoos all over his torso at 60-something. Eddie has his own past demons, and even though he is supposedly sober, he was a train wreck as recently as 2004.

This band has provided me a lifetime of enjoyment. They've also pissed me off royally.

In addition to Kimmel, they're supposed to be on Ellen on April 2nd.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:34 pm 

pittmike wrote:
Chus wrote:

Is it that troublesome for you to get the story? EVH has tried to axe Anthony since forever. He replaced him with his kid. The band is Van Halen. 3 out of 4 are Van Halen. Relax Phish boy.

Troublesome? I heard Sammy and Michael on Stern, a couple of years ago. They came off pretty cool, and laid back. Eddie kicked out Michael, because he was still tight with Sammy. Eddie sounds like an insecure, controlling lunatic. I have no beef with VH. I like their early albums.

Phish boy? Maybe you can PM SomeGuy, and he can give you some better insults.

<º)))><

Last edited by Chus on Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:35 pm 

pittmike wrote:
Scooter wrote:

Chus is just being a dick. I was a big fan of Van Hagar as well. It was awesome.

Hell I really skimmed Chus post was not referring to that at all....EVH is a dick... always thinks he could have done it by himself..hell no. Talented guitarist yes.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:37 pm 

pittmike wrote:
Chus is just being a dick.

:lol: On point, as usual.

I hadn't said a word, but you were compelled to drop this nugget:

pittmike wrote:
At least we aren't fucking Chus with a Band movie or a Already Dead concert in soldier field. :lol:

Politics or music, or whatever, you can't make a post without thinking about me. If you are going to make fun of my music, can you at least TRY to be funny?

<º)))><

Last edited by Chus on Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:37 pm 

Scooter wrote:
pittmike wrote:
Scooter wrote:

Hell I really skimmed Chus post was not referring to that at all....EVH is a dick... always thinks he could have done it by himself..hell no. Talented guitarist yes.

Just say he's talented and leave it that. Bet your wife wanted to kiss Nat King Cole.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:38 pm 

badrogue17 wrote:
Scooter wrote:
pittmike wrote:
Scooter wrote:

Just say he's talented and leave it that. Bet your wife wanted to kiss Nat King Cole.

But watch what you say. People get the wrong impression.

<º)))><

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:41 pm 

badrogue17 wrote:
Scooter wrote:
pittmike wrote:
Scooter wrote:

Huh? Explain.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's
Chus is being a dick? You brought him up first, PM!

EVH is one petty motherfucker by keeping MA out of VH. That jackass even went so far as to remove MA's image from old album covers. That's not very rock 'n roll.

-Hank Kingsley

Last edited by Furious Styles on Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:43 pm 

Peoria Matt wrote:
Ed_from_Lisle wrote:

Yea, I don't think this is going to go well. I really wished I could have seen them back in the day.

My favorite bootlegs were from the Diver Down (Hide Your Sheep) tour, circa 1982-83. Do a search for Largo (shot in Maryland), Buenos Aires, Argentina, and the US Festival.

Of those 3, Buenos Aires is my favorite. They sounded great, and Dave's interaction with the crowd is really cool. The US Festival show is iconic, despite the fact that Dave was ripped off his ass to start the show. It got better as it went on. Largo is just a solid show.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:45 pm 

Ed_from_Lisle wrote:
Peoria Matt wrote:
Ed_from_Lisle wrote:

My favorite bootlegs were from the Diver Down (Hide Your Sheep) tour, circa 1982-83. Do a search for Largo (shot in Maryland), Buenos Aires, Argentina, and the US Festival.

Of those 3, Buenos Aires is my favorite. They sounded great, and Dave's interaction with the crowd is really cool. The US Festival show is iconic, despite the fact that Dave was ripped off his ass to start the show. It got better as it went on. Largo is just a solid show.

All I know is that at the time, the hottest chicks in high school all wanted Eddie or Dave. Man the groupies they mustve nailed.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:45 pm 

Ok Jerry Garcia is the best guitar player ever. I will bow to you all.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:47 pm 

I wanna know what Nat King Cole and my wife have going on. WHAT?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:48 pm 

Ed_from_Lisle wrote:
Peoria Matt wrote:
Ed_from_Lisle wrote:

Ed was a complete mess for a long time but Oakland 83 is all there is really from that era. Hagar era was awesome if you get your head out of your ass and watch the DVD's. Amazing all the talk here about singers as they age dropping a key but now this tour and the DVD/CD from last tour will suck. Blow me.