It is currently Mon Sep 23, 2024 4:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 10:10 pm 

no.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 10:18 pm 

pizza_Place: Angelo's Pizza in Downers Grove
One thing they could do is widen the field or remove a player to open up play more. Eliminating tackling is eliminating the sport.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 10:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
The next gen PS4 will support 22 controllers and there will be a brand new engine behind Madden.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 10:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
Q.Bovifs wrote:
newper wrote:
The next gen PS4 will support 22 controllers and there will be a brand new engine behind Madden.

Are you trying to suggest that the league would be better off going totally virtual, pitting programmer vs. programmer? :wink:

The league will become 60% Indian and Chinese 14 year olds overnight. :)

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 11:10 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
We're in the youtube generation of highlights, and all these players grow up looking to make that one murderous hit on the field that makes you throw up your hands and go OOOOOHHHH SHIIIT!! Players are conditioned to throw kill shots out there and develop their timing over the years around that.

Tackling isn't the games problem. A fundamentally sound tackle has nothing to do with the head or the helmet; it's about your shoulders, hips, and leverage. Leaving receivers out to dry across the middle with a safety that's conditioned to decapitate players is more the culprit here.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 11:29 pm 

Q.Bovifs wrote:
Another consideration: No tackling probably equals no helmets, creating a platform whose superfacetime would possibly rival or even surpass basketball in terms of individual marketing potential.

No helmets would work great until the first guy died or gets his faced stoved in by a defensive tackle at the bottom of a pile.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 12:11 am 

pizza_Place: Magliozzi's
No helmets or pads works for rugby and whatever those sports they have in Australia are called. Maybe they have had the same issues, I don't know.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 12:22 am 

Stretch wrote:
No helmets or pads works for rugby and whatever those sports they have in Australia are called. Maybe they have had the same issues, I don't know.

That's an invalid argument. The game of football has "evolved" in a sense to what the game is today. The violence and subsequent post-career trauma is institutionalized, and players for decades have only known a style of play that has ever-changing forms of armor. If all of a sudden you eliminated the helmet and reduced pads the style of game, there would be such an onslaught of injuries, or more likely deaths, that the sport would maybe never recover.

If the league at any point in it's existence wants to enforce reduced pads that ultimately would conclude with an altered helmet, it would necessitate many, many years for the new form of the game to be cultivated from high school to high school, etc etc.

As you can imagine the costs of such a change would be crippling to many an athletics department, but the bigger and more obvious point is the cost to attendance. If the NFL will never gamble it's cash cow with such changes, suicides be damned.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 2:01 am 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
Stretch wrote:

They do, also stemming from years of the players/doctors/coaches not giving a shit.

I'm enjoying football less and less the more I hear about it. I've said it before, but it's like the scene in the Princess Bride where the Six-fingered man takes a year off Wesley's life. Every football game is that same scene repeated over and over for 22 different guys every play and at the end of the day it's just sports, I can live without watching it. I'm not at that point yet, but it's an icky sensation watching sometimes.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 2:36 am 

KDdidit wrote:
I'm enjoying football less and less the more I hear about it. I've said it before, but it's like the scene in the Princess Bride where the Six-fingered man takes a year off Wesley's life. Every football game is that same scene repeated over and over for 22 different guys every play and at the end of the day it's just sports, I can live without watching it. I'm not at that point yet, but it's an icky sensation watching sometimes.

The realization that money > decency/sanctity of life is a hard pill to swallow, but it's a fact.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 5:14 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
Q.Bovifs wrote:
Another consideration: No tackling probably equals no helmets, creating a platform whose superfacetime would possibly rival or even surpass basketball in terms of individual marketing potential.

Some have considered soft helmets, which I agree with. Wont see anyone leading anymore with the head.