It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 3:41 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Real solid. Kind of a Homecoming vibe and sound.

You cussed too. :o

:)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:20 pm 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
Aight man, in the spirit of constructive criticism i'm going to toss out my $0.02 on "Written" and this new one if the YouTube gods decide to smile upon me (for some reason, in Win7 sometimes youtube pages just load up a big black box... here it goes tho) I'll add in the new one. As someone who has sporadically dabbled in the arts of beatmashing and (shit)rapping since the late 90s, I can tell you that I absoltuely loathe it when people listen for 20 seconds and go "oh it's good keep it up" then proceed to talk over the rest of your song. I reckon you're going to get plenty of "it's good keep going!" from the status quo, so I'm going to try to give some substance here at the risk of ending up a sad caricature of my posting style in typing a few actual paragraphs.

Obviously, you know what you're talking about and your rhyme words are solid. Your message comes from a real place and I can tell that you're doing this for "the right reasons", aka "the love" or whatever you want to call it. THAT SAID:

One thing I noticed in the last song before these two (where you snapped your ass off on the third/last verse) is that you've got what I call Underground-Rapper-Voice. I grew up on the periphery of some of the local galapagos4 cats (Robust was the one dude I knew the best) and have been to countless shows and seen people come and go, and if I stereotype underground rappers one thing I'd note is that a lot of the songs seem to blend together. I used to tell Robust that I liked what he was doing, but when I put on a proper LP by the time I'd get 5-6 songs in it's like they all blended together and I was hearing the same song over and over. This is very-arguably a fault of mine to freak out with short-attention-span/ADHD

This phenomenon struck me on "Written" moreso than that first song and this one you just posted here. In fact "Rap Star", wrapped in a cloak of brevity, seems to be antithetical to "Written" in that your voice stands out more. I think this is partially due to the fact that the upload is noticeably of a higher quality than "Written", which reminds me of the kind stuff I'd have on a friend's mixtape playing on my walkman in the late 90s.

I'm singling out written for the voice thing cuz that's the one where it kind of blends into the background, despite the fact that when one actually stops and listens to what you're saying you're providing substance with quality rhymes. It's good, though it just doesn't stand out as much as Rap Star does... that one, much like SHARK, has more BITE.

Also, the production on these last two tracks is nice and solid and all, but it also sounds like dime a dozen underground rap fare. shrug. It's quality it works it provides a foundation for you to do your thing on, but the beats don't come out and kick me in the nuts and assault me with a bassline that forces me to get catatonic and go along with the rhythm.

Naturally, all of these things work themselves out over time... and that's not to say that you're shit or you're this or that... it's just that it's obvious that you're in an early stage of your development where you're still finding yourself as a performer and right now your trajectory is that of being a local dude who opens up shows for people, and hey, that's the fucking life... I had narcissistic dreams of being "the man" long before I could back it up with actual quality, which you've clearly done the vice versa of.... but like, going forward I think you've got the concept of rhyming and recording down... I like your fast pace to rhyming as I would tender to guess that you, like me, prefer motherfuckers who can up and snap on shit and belt out lines that have 3-4 middle-rhymes in them because it's like you're dancing with words and rhythms... kind of like freestyling in a sense, so in that regard yeah you've got a natural feel....

but at some point, to take it to the next level i think you've gotta channel some inner pashin and fire and just hit the mic even harder with your shit... or maybe that isn't your style per say, but like, just keep on focusing on what it is that compels you to be the master of the ceremony and that inner drive and determination to open up your proverbial trenchcoat to the world and expose your soul to the universe in convenient song format and embrace it and allow it to ratchet up some more emotion and fire in your style and delviery... cuz once you can amp that up to match your quality wordplay and B/B+ rhyme schemes and structure along with your likewise-graded song subjects (which in and of themselves are technically somewhat cliche, but as long as people live in our contemporary society it will always be this way) i think you're going to make that next level and really make some moves.

So again, my apologies about the babble and the criticism of what I've heard... much like your songs, I'm just tryin'ta be real where in the words of my old friend robust "everyone wants to be a rapper... and shit jim, if you wrote a book I'd read it. try that instead" =D

OR IN OTHER WORDS, TO ECHO THE SENTIMENTS OF THE MASSES: nice job. keep on keepin on!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:32 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Hut
Good shit Sini. I'll definitely process the advice and see how I can make it work for me going forward.

Kid Cairo: 2013 March Madness Tournament Winner!

"Cowabunga? Cowa fucking piece of dog shit! This game is diarrhea coming out of my dick!"

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:47 pm 

See, the fucked up thing is that most "casual" types don't really listen to rap. That's why so much pop-hop fare is really really beat-and-hook intensive, is basically to sell records on a mass scale you want the beat to kick their ass and then give them a hook they'll remember and maybe 1-2 lines to go "OH OH OH WAIT HERE IT COMES" thats how it works.

Look at Flo-Rida and his YOU TURN ME RIGHT ROUND RIGHT ROUND shit... that beat is a fuckin superproduced roller and they jacked that early/mid 80s new-wave hook YOU TURN ME RIGHT ROUND RIGHT ROUND to get everyone hooked, and then really, I've prolly heard the song some 50 odd times and I have no idea what the fuck the guy is saying. Sure, he seems to snap and do a doubletime exercise on top of it, but really, that doesn't sell the song whatsoever.

I'm not implying that you need to straightup get on that grizzly and go WHERE MY DOGS WHERE MY DOGS WHERE MY DOGS AT?!?!?! or do some super-hard/esque stereotypical black thug voice where you're like shouting at the mic (in fact, it genuinely amuses me how many pop-hop rappers merely shout into microphones when they do their song live... luda was a bigtime example of this circa ~05-07. his live appearances on mtv and shit would make me LOL) and hell, some of the people i'd characterize as rap gods are the same way... gift of gab of blackalicious has that happen, but namely cuz it's almost impossible to belt out ~30-45 minutes of near/doubletime rhymes with multisyllabic words and tung twistin rhymes one take no mistakes... so you end up sacrificing vocal inflection in the live show for being on time and saying the words that, ideally, your audience is already singing along to.

but as i said, in your case you're clearly early on in your journey and the fact that, semantically speaking, your rhymes are indeed "tight" as you've structured them well you often hit a rhyme 3-4 times in a good line and end up having a lyrically-intensive style you're ahead of the game. I dunno how long you've been doing this for, nor am I in some position where I'm a high and mighty judge of all things quality in the rap world (especially given my aformentioned sporadic forays into the artform) but you've definitely started off with the right foundation to where you're going, and i think as you heed the stereotypical advice of "keep on keeping on" your voice will naturally develop and flourish as you get more and more comfortable with the concept of performance.

I dunno if you'd agree with me, but I've long said that rhyming is the easiest part of rapping. it's the whole rap-PER part of the thing where you take all of the lyrics and rhymes and package them up in, dare i say, a brand and get to the point of cutthroat delivery is the hard part. i mean, i'm not as far as you are in "the game" but for me the most gut-wrenching part is getting on that stage grabbing the microphone staring down the audience and belting out something that i believe in, cuz for me I'm all lost in my own head thinking i'm a piece of shit i'm this i'm that hyperanalyzing all of my flaws caught up in that... and really, there's merit to what eminem said in lose yourself... that song got played the fuck out on pop airwaves, but it's a very very good song that doesn't lie to you. at his core buried beneath all of the bullshit to become a hundred-millionaire, there is a real dude down there.

in parting, here's a quote from teh end of aceyalone's verse on project blowed's "treble and bass" (i linked to it cuz like, at least for my tastes, his style is like that old sun tzu quote where it's like water in that it flows without form, but when it finds enough form diving 5000ft down onto it is like hitting a concrete surface]

aceyalone wrote:
writin' and recitin' is the easy part
to have a little style is the hard part
I'm moving like an aardvark
screamin at you marks from the jump start
I'm ready after dark so spark
up an L, now what the hell?
you've been here before, you know how it goes

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:18 am 

Man sini really believes in HATER WEDNESDAY!!!
:D

Just kidding sinicalypse. Love your suit.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:22 am 

pizza_Place: *
Yeah, he shitted on your shit, are you going to take that??

I wouldn't

It's actually legit criticism, i'd give you my thoughts, but I clearly don't care enough about you to type a few paragraphs!!!

No traces of you, what can I do?
Alone and confused

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:54 am 

I gotta re-disclaim that I'm not shitting on his stuff, if you actually read what I write I think I made that quite clear. I went the extra 500 miles on giving my thoughts because he's clearly good and he's got potential, but I'm talking about the kind of things that would help him go to the next level.

Want some shit rap? Here's some early 00s shit from a friend of a friend down the street from a once-good friend of mine. i dunno if y'all will catch the metaphor, it's some heady stuff... and even tho it's in the guise of a pisstake, still, this is quite possibly one of the worst rap songs i've ever heard

but yeah, I've pointed out that the dude has something to say rhymes words well and in fact i like his accelerated delivery and the rapid fire feel of hitting 3-5 rhymes per line. in fact i believe i said that his stuff is the essence of calling a rap "tight" because it's very well structured, which i graded out to a B/B+.

i just figured i'd break from the status quo and analytically look at what i've heard and talk about the kind of things he could do, in my opinion, to go to the next level. that's all it is... and i know that the longevity of my posts combined with the nature of looking at something quality and saying "this is how i think it could be better" isn't the company line here, but hey, i know when i made shit and someone would take the time to go through it and say the things that i didn't necessarily want to hear as much as i needed to it meant a lot to me... so if that's paying it forward in the name of the game, so be it.

but really, invest a proper 5 minutes in reading the two long posts and you'll see that i've gone and pointed out the strengths of the tracks i've heard... it's just that my nature when "checking out" someone's shit when they're looking for feedback is to analyze what i just heard and talk about what could be done to make it even better. and i really think i did a fair job of doing that.

btw, the capital letters from this post have been donated to charity... c'mon jay, let me win those bears tickets!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:12 am 

Sini I know you weren't shitting on his stuff. You had the awesome HATER WEDNESDAY story from Laurence. So I was fooling on that. Pleased to not being mad at me.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:31 am 

pizza_Place: Ban me
The Original Kid Cairo wrote:
Some of you know that I'm an aspiring Hip Hop artist. This is the thread where I will plug my solo projects. Here's a YouTube link to a track that I just finished about an hour prior to posting this. It's called "Unleashed" and will be included on my 2011 release, Open Book. I uploaded it using Doug's YouTube account but I will have my own up soon. I just wanted to get this one out first.

Unleashed

Feel free to drop a positive comment. :)

Like your flow. Not too excited about the lyrics and the beats scream Chicago. Who plays spades with jokers?

Awesome.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:36 am 

*BUMP*

First of all Doug, thank you for posting "Written" the other day.

This track is hot off the presses as I literally finished tracking it less than an hour ago. It's a non-pA song I wrote last June called "Rap Star". Holla at ya boy!

Rap Star

This IS Hip Hop. Loved it.

Awesome.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:38 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
sini...did you download Bez - Journal Entries?

http://www.passiveaggressor.net/WebMedi ... ntries.zip

good stuff Bez. send me the mp3.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:49 am 

1. Rap Star
2. Unleashed
3 Written

Awesome.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:12 pm 

I appreciate all the feedback y'all. Everything is duly noted.

And Nas, I thought everybody played spades with the jokers. :scratch:

Dug, I'll email you the track tonight.

"Cowabunga? Cowa fucking piece of dog shit! This game is diarrhea coming out of my dick!"

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:13 pm 

I don't play it any other way.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen

Some people don't use jokers. The Ace of Spades is the bigest card.

I like the jokers...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:18 pm 

pizza_Place: Gino's East.
That was a great listen. Nice work, Kid!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:24 pm 

Hey Sini

Nothing wrong with giving your honest assessment. But your statement came off a little arrogant. Just because someone doesn't feel the way you do or feel like typing a novel to express their feelings doesn't mean they are a mindless sheep who doesn't have any real thoughts. Maybe "That was good, keep it up" is really how someone feels. Doesn't mean your thoughts are anymore or less valid then theirs....

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:44 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
it's much easier to comment on the meandering vocal non-melody and move on. :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:06 pm 

I appreciate all the feedback y'all. Everything is duly noted.

Dug, I'll email you the track tonight.

They're playing the wrong way. Someone might get stabbed if they tried to play spades with jokers.

Awesome.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:13 pm 

Standard 52-card deck. Spades may also be played with one or two Jokers or with predetermined cards removed.

When I play with jokers, the 2 of hearts and diamonds are taken out. The jokers add a different level of strategy to the game...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:16 pm 

Krazy Ivan wrote:
When I play with jokers, the 2 of hearts and diamonds are taken out. The jokers add a different level of strategy to the game...

Troof. That's the only way I ever learned how to play. The two jokers prevent people from being able to sit on that ace of spades.

One of the worst feelings in the world is getting your big ace or your little joker smashed. And if you're playing with partners it's pretty embarrassing.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:48 pm 

Advice

Put that rap shit second, and hip hop first

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
Krazy Ivan wrote:

Troof. That's the only way I ever learned how to play. The two jokers prevent people from being able to sit on that ace of spades.

One of the worst feelings in the world is getting your big ace or your little joker smashed. And if you're playing with partners it's pretty embarrassing.

I havent played spades in years, euchre is quicker and much more fun.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:20 pm 

Hank Scorpio wrote:
Krazy Ivan wrote:

I havent played spades in years, euchre is quicker and much more fun.

Much more fun. :)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:22 pm 

I agree wholeheartedly with Hova's thoughts

Rap Star is sick.

I just posted the Youtube on Facebook.

Start liking that shit!!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:26 pm 

B.E.Z.

Hip-Hop heads: This is the last track I'm leaking until the album is finished. Enjoy.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:15 am 

Bez - "So Simple

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:17 am 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
Hi Kid

I'm glad you're not dead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:36 am 

My State of Mind

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:57 am 

this is why this shit ends up on my iPod when i run.

you are part of my 8.5 run, kid. and why my calorie count exceeds the 1100 mark. 8)