It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 1:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 224 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 8:03 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
doug - evergreen park wrote:
you'll probably have to call someone to haul the concrete away.

Nah, just break it up really good and pull an Andy Dusfrene. It may take a while
but you can fill up your pants pockets a few thousand times and drop that stuff
all over town. No one will ever know the difference.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 8:04 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
sinicalypse wrote:
Dude, there's an Elmhurst Steve Wing, not just a bust, at the Chicago Sports Talk Radio Caller Hall of Fame. Stop hatin!

With more walls than Mac's basement!

Seriously, I am okay with being lumped in with Maddux Boy. I don't agree with him all the time, but he knows Baseball pretty well and has a thought to express when he calls. It's a lot easier to be a critic than a contributor. But I much prefer contributing. As far as the time spent...I can only speak for myself, but I just call when a topic comes up that I have a thought I want to share . I generally wait a very short amount of time and I would guess the process involves all of 5-10 minutes. I had the chance to do a weekend show with another guy, but it involved having to sell advertising time and I took a pass on it. I did get to guest host one time which was fun, but I am happy with the role in life I fill. Having majored in Law enforcement Administration and not Communications I don't have any illusions. I do wonder why all the critics here don't call in though. If you have superior thoughts to share, why not demonstrate it? Perhaps because in reality your calls might be inferior and then YOU would be subject to ridicule??....cowards. At least I have the balls to step up to the plate.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 8:08 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
Elmhurst Steve wrote:
Seriously, I am okay with being lumped in with Maddux Boy. I don't agree with him all the time, but he knows Baseball pretty well and has a thought to express when he calls.

Yeah, the same thought bernstein expressed ten minutes earlier.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 8:13 am 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
Elmhurst Steve wrote:
I do wonder why all the critics here don't call in though. If you have superior thoughts to share, why not demonstrate it?

I am a desk jockey. I tend to contribute thoughts by text or email. There are rare times where I will call in, but it usually involves being out of the office. Other than my one time on Sports Jeopardy, I tend to not call in from my desk for obvious reasons.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 8:28 am 

Elmhurst Steve wrote:
Seriously, I am okay with being lumped in with Maddux Boy. I don't agree with him all the time, but he knows Baseball pretty well and has a thought to express when he calls. It's a lot easier to be a critic than a contributor. But I much prefer contributing. As far as the time spent...I can only speak for myself, but I just call when a topic comes up that I have a thought I want to share . I generally wait a very short amount of time and I would guess the process involves all of 5-10 minutes.
This is false. We can see you post something or read something on here and then you call in about it later. Sometimes you go as far as calling multiple shows. It's an hour process at a minimum unless you are the Stephen Hawking of sports thoughts.
Elmhurst Steve wrote:
I had the chance to do a weekend show with another guy, but it involved having to sell advertising time and I took a pass on it. I did get to guest host one time which was fun, but I am happy with the role in life I fill. Having majored in Law enforcement Administration and not Communications I don't have any illusions. I do wonder why all the critics here don't call in though. If you have superior thoughts to share, why not demonstrate it? Perhaps because in reality your calls might be inferior and then YOU would be subject to ridicule??....cowards. At least I have the balls to step up to the plate.
I don't see the point of calling in to a radio show. It's just not for me. I much prefer the exchange of ideas in a format like this. So the answer is indifference. I don't really care enough to call in. I'll send a text in every so often but that's it. Maybe it's because I have no delusions of grandeur that I'm important or maybe I just don't think that the "Boilermaker Rick" brand is useful enough.

I don't think it makes me a coward. I have nothing to prove unlike some of us who have to brag about "being a hall of fame caller" or the fact that you are a good rec league bowler. I let the board judge my sports thoughts vs. yours on here. I'd like to think that I'm winning that battle.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 9:19 am 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
Why are you defending Steve? He is truly awful.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 9:29 am 

Then why aren't you letting Rick be Rick?

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 9:36 am 
Site Admin

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
I don't see the point of calling in to a radio show. It's just not for me. I much prefer the exchange of ideas in a format like this. So the answer is indifference. I don't really care enough to call in. I'll send a text in every so often but that's it. Maybe it's because I have no delusions of grandeur that I'm important or maybe I just don't think that the "Boilermaker Rick" brand is useful enough.

I don't think it makes me a coward. I have nothing to prove unlike some of us who have to brag about "being a hall of fame caller" or the fact that you are a good rec league bowler. I let the board judge my sports thoughts vs. yours on here. I'd like to think that I'm winning that battle.

I agree with what BRick says and I'll take it further. If I'm not mistaken, the entire is existence of this board is due to the rude way bigfan was treated upon calling a show. Calling a radio show is not an exchange of ideas. It's not an equitable relationship between parties. One party has all the power and the ability to publicly ridicule any disagreement with his own wacky viewpoints. Plus, this is the only place I'm willing to provide my brilliant content for free.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 9:42 am 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Wow. This is still going on?

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 9:43 am 

Just because you think something is bullshit doesn't mean the rest of us have to. Your opinion is just that, your opinion. Steve is bad in lots of ways, I'd say most of us feel it's not bullshit. Lots of us have ripped on him and not in a friendly way, but it the hey you suck kind of way.

What I'm also trying to prevent is an odd Rick/Panther fight. Nobody wants to see that.

Last edited by Spaulding on Wed May 18, 2011 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 9:44 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
I agree with what BRick says and I'll take it further. If I'm not mistaken, the entire is existence of this board is due to the rude way bigfan was treated upon calling a show. Calling a radio show is not an exchange of ideas. It's not an equitable relationship between parties. One party has all the power and the ability to publicly ridicule any disagreement with his own wacky viewpoints. Plus, this is the only place I'm willing to provide my brilliant content for free.
That's a good point. It's the same reason that most hosts refuse to post here. Being able to hit the mute or dump button is a nice luxury. It's the reason that others prefer twitter or facebook. You can control your content much more and you can filter out the bad if you want. That's why I have always respected how Mac is willing to enter the fray here. Rongey and Goff have also shown a willingness to have actual discussion on here and I respect that.

I guess I can't blame them. The odds are stacked heavily in the favor of the guy who can cut off the other one. It's hard to give that up.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 9:44 am 

Spaulding wrote:
What I'm also trying to prevent is an odd Rick/Panther fight. Nobody wants to see that.
You don't have to worry about that.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 9:48 am 

You sure? I don't think I've seen either of you ever walk away. :P

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 9:57 am 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
I have nothing to prove unlike some of us who have to brag about "being a hall of fame caller" or the fact that you are a good rec league bowler. I let the board judge my sports thoughts vs. yours on here. I'd like to think that I'm winning that battle.

I'm calling shenanigans on his best bowler in the league claim. I typed his name into the USBC site (with alternate spellings), and he is not registered in any sanctioned league. He claimed a while back that he just recently shot his first 700 series. I shoot several 700's every year, and I am not even close to being the best bowler in my league. My spidey sense tells me that Steve is bowling with women, bowling with children, or he is lying.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

Last edited by Chus on Wed May 18, 2011 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 9:59 am 

Chus wrote:
I'm calling shenanigans on his best bowler in the league claim. I typed his name into the USBC site (with alternate spellings), and it didn't register. He claimed a while back that he just recently shot his first 700 series. I shoot several 700's every year, and I am nowhere close to the best bowler in my league. My spidey sense tells me that Steve is bowling with women, bowling with children, or he is lying.

Based on his description in the bowling banquet thread, it sounds like a mixed league to me. High average in a mixed league is like being the tallest midget (not Tall Midget...that dude haunts my dreams).

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 10:02 am 
Site Admin

sjboyd0137 wrote:
Chus wrote:
I'm calling shenanigans on his best bowler in the league claim. I typed his name into the USBC site (with alternate spellings), and it didn't register. He claimed a while back that he just recently shot his first 700 series. I shoot several 700's every year, and I am nowhere close to the best bowler in my league. My spidey sense tells me that Steve is bowling with women, bowling with children, or he is lying.

Based on his description in the bowling banquet thread, it sounds like a mixed league to me. High average in a mixed league is like being the tallest midget (not Tall Midget...that dude haunts my dreams).

Why would anyone want high average anyway? Don't people bowl for money anymore? You have to throw away pins when you have a chance.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 10:05 am 

Chus wrote:
I'm calling shenanigans on his best bowler in the league claim. I typed his name into the USBC site (with alternate spellings), and he is not registered in any sanctioned league. He claimed a while back that he just recently shot his first 700 series. I shoot several 700's every year, and I am not even close to being the best bowler in my league. My spidey sense tells me that Steve is bowling with women, bowling with children, or he is lying.
What's next? Are you going to tell me that Steve doesn't actually win "40-50% of the fantasy leagues he plays in"? :lol:

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 10:05 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
sjboyd0137 wrote:
Chus wrote:

Why would anyone want high average anyway? Don't people bowl for money anymore? You have to throw away pins when you have a chance.

There are tons of guys who sandbag their way through league play, to rack up handicap for tournaments.

<º)))><

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 10:07 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

There are many schools of thought about that. A lot of times, there is individual money in play for overall high average. Some leagues are "scratch" leagues, meaning throwing away pins is a bad idea. Personally, my high water mark for average was in the mid 190's, I think I got as high as 197 a few years ago, but I was never all that interested in being too serious about it. I have bowled with guys that were, for lack of a better term, sandbaggers, meaning they would throw away pins early in the year to have a higher handicap come playoff time. None of the teams that I bowled on with those guys won shit. Most leagues pay out on overall wins as well as a chunk of cash prize for finishing in a certain place. Throwing away pins causes one to throw away more money than it's really worth. But, you know, that's just my opinion and stuff.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 10:08 am 

Why are you guys thinking about Steve and his mediocre accomplishments?

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 10:10 am 

Spaulding wrote:
Why are you guys thinking about Steve and his mediocre accomplishments?

For me, "thinking about" is a misnomer. I was simply pointing out an observation made from another thread.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 10:13 am 
Site Admin

Chus wrote:
There are tons of guys who sandbag their way through league play, to rack up handicap for tournaments.

I haven't bowled in years, but I know all the top guys used to lay down as much as they could. There were a couple times after my team won leagues that it was made pretty clear we weren't welcome the next season. The thing is, the guys we beat were cheating too. They just weren't quite as good at it.

I don't think there are too many scratch leagues around anymore, are there? There used to be a bomber league at Skokie Lanes on Fridays nights with all kinds of tough motherfuckers.

Last time I bowled the big pots were in the second game. My guess is that the league average was at least 25 pins higher in the second game. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 10:15 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
I don't think there are too many scratch leagues around anymore, are there? There used to be a bomber league at Skokie Lanes on Fridays nights with all kinds of tough motherfuckers.

The last scratch league I remember was at Beverly Lanes in Arlington Heights. I subbed in that one, but that's going back about 10 years or so. I think there might still be one in Lombard, but I'm not sure.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 10:24 am 

sjboyd0137 wrote:
The last scratch league I remember was at Beverly Lanes in Arlington Heights. I subbed in that one, but that's going back about 10 years or so. I think there might still be one in Lombard, but I'm not sure.

Lombard Lanes has been gone for years.

<º)))><

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 10:25 am 

Chus wrote:
sjboyd0137 wrote:

Well, that gives you an idea of how long it's been since I've been down there.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 10:28 am 

Chus wrote:
sjboyd0137 wrote:

Jerry: "Check these out. These are Jerry Lewis' old cufflinks that he actually wore in the movie Cinderfella. I got 'em at an auction."

George: "I got some cufflinks I could've loaned you."

Jerry: "No, Jerry Lewis is gonna be at this Friar's Club roast I'm goin' to next week. Now I have an in to strike up a conversation with him."

George: "You already have an in. You have the same first name. Jerry."

Jerry: "Oh, that'll intrigue him."

George: "Well, it worked when I met George Peppard last week."

Jerry: "George Peppard has been dead for years."

George: "Well, whoever he was, he knew a lot about The A-Team."

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 12:11 pm 

pizza_Place: Johns in Cal City

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 9:39 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
I agree with what BRick says and I'll take it further. If I'm not mistaken, the entire is existence of this board is due to the rude way bigfan was treated upon calling a show. Calling a radio show is not an exchange of ideas. It's not an equitable relationship between parties. One party has all the power and the ability to publicly ridicule any disagreement with his own wacky viewpoints.

That's a good point. It's the same reason that most hosts refuse to post here. Being able to hit the mute or dump button is a nice luxury. It's the reason that others prefer twitter or facebook. You can control your content much more and you can filter out the bad if you want. That's why I have always respected how Mac is willing to enter the fray here. Rongey and Goff have also shown a willingness to have actual discussion on here and I respect that.

I guess I can't blame them. The odds are stacked heavily in the favor of the guy who can cut off the other one. It's hard to give that up.

Ah...so you are AFRAID that the hosts might ridicule you, hit the dump button etc... Yeah, it takes someone with balls, that is not scared to enter into the fray and defend their position, whether the powers between the caller and host (s) are equal or not. I have the confidence and intestinal fortitude...obviously you lack the same.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 9:52 pm 

You're absolutely right. I never worry about a call. I don't worry about the reaction a call might get from the hosts or the guys here either. I don't get nervous as some do because it's just no big deal. So yeah you're right, it doesn't really involve much intestinal fortitude. I just wanted to basically call Boilermaker rick a coward again. Good call....

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 10:09 pm 

Dethklok wrote:
:lol:
Really?
I mean, thanks for the concrete painting advice and all. I appreciate that.
But damn dude, intestinal fortitude? You're just calling a dumbass radio show right?
I think you're giving it too much importance.

Very Darkside like.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 224 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next