It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 1:48 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 9:13 am 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
At Durty Nellies with Darkside and I. We're heading up Friday night for Echos of Floyd (and if you can't guess what that's a tribute to, you probably will hate it). $5 at the door. The bar has stuff on special (I have no idea what, though). The potential for some pre-game festivities at my humble abode are there as well (weather permitting - I have a tiny ass apartment, but a huge patio/yard).

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 8:23 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
I'm plus one.
Anyone else? C'mon! Let's get pissed!

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 9:12 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Papa Dells
This would be something I would enjoy a great deal. I saw a Floyd tribute band about twenty years ago that was outstanding. Igneous Biscuit was their name. Rock and Roll, get it... They were very good.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 7:06 am 

pizza_Place: Old World Pizza in Melrose Park
I won't be able to stay out for the show but I can stop in PTown for a beer or 3 on my way home. Maybe that German place or Emmetts?

Oh...Eastern Illinois. They contacted me. I didn't take the entrance exam because I had 64 crayons instead of 3. But I loved going through Central Illinois. Watching people on bad cooked up Tide is the best.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 3:36 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
This show was something.
The stage at Nellies had "The Wall" bricks behind the drummer, onto which they had some projected slogans, pictures, and various other things that would pop up like "Trust us". The floors on the side of the stage were also "Walled"
They come on stage wearing jump suits with the hammers logo on it, and I'm like, oh christ they're in costume.
Then they started with "The Little Boy that Santa Claus Forgot" (Recorded... you know "Christmas comes but once a year, for every girl and boy...") then "In the Flesh" followed by "Another Brick Part I", then, one of my favorite post Waters songs "Learning to Fly". Later in the show they came back to The Wall and played Young Lust, Goodbye Blue Sky, Hey You, and their encore was also from The Wall.
They moved onto Darkside then with "Money" featuring another guy, comes out in a bowler and a 3 piece and a cane, flashing cash at the crowd. He was pretty cool. He also came out for "Have a Cigar".
Played one off Pipers, played WYWH which mostly the crowd sang.
The encore was naturally Comfortably Numb.

Their lead guitarist and part time lead singer was incredible. His solo work was just damn good, always in the right place a t the right time, and while generally true to Gilmour's original work he also showed some improvisation and a little of his own flavor in there, not quite as bluesy as Gilmour, but still brings out the soul that it was meant to convey. His Watersesque vocals fit well in some of the more frantic Wall pieces, and he had a nice tension in his voice that you hear in songs like Young Lust.

Their Keyboardist and part time lead singer was also very good. He was a little more Gilmourey in vocals, which in my opinion started a little rough but by the middle of the first set he was warmed up and wailing. Also, he wasn't in the jumpsuit, nope this cat wore the full on black shirt, black pants complete with the pouch and belt across the chest, and natrually a full length black leather Heer coat. Pretty wild. His key work was very damn tight. In fact between all these guys, I only found one moment where they messed up a bit, a half beat quick coming out of the helicopter sound effect in Another Brick... they covered it well, and I don't think anyone would have noticed save for the sheepish grin from the offending party... the drummer:

Their Drummer was incredible. I mean damn good. Now PF and this band used a percussionist in addition to the drummer, so the sound was just full and deep, but this guy was everywhere and anywhere he needed to be. Their lady percussionist was also good, playing toms, chimes and some tomtoms and rotos too, a lot by hand.

The bass player was as good as any I've seen. I don't "get" a lot about bass really, but he was pretty solid. I didn't like his riff in "Money" though, it sounded a bit off to me...??? maybe I'm just wrong but something wasn't right, other than that he was pretty good.

They had a multi instrument guy, playing basic riffage of a beauty les paul, but he did all the Sax parts for the Darkside stuff and he was really really good. Also played some kind of small electronic woodwind thingy, I don't know what the hell it was, looked like a piccalo or something.

I can't beleive I saw this for $5. They were great man, just great. I would love to see them again. I paid $10 to see "Think Floyd" at Chicago City Limits a few years ago, and they also were good, but they only played DSOTM and that was it... didn't go deeper like these guys did. I'll be watching for these dudes again and an certainly going to their next show.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 3:50 pm 

Well said.

Great show.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 5:00 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
http://comfortablyfloyd.com/

I'd be interested in boyd's and dardside's opinion on them. I'm not a Floyd guy but I think they sound good.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 5:54 pm 

pizza_Place: Bojono's on Clarendon
sjboyd0137 wrote:
Well said.

Great show.

Sounds better than my Friday. I was psyched to see a Foghat tribute band called Slow Ride at Shark City in Glendale Heights. They ended up cancelling earlier in the week. The replacement act was Foghat. It was kind of a letdown. :|

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 1:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Chicago Pizza and Oven Grinders
Telegram Sam wrote:
sjboyd0137 wrote:
Well said.

Great show.

Sounds better than my Friday. I was psyched to see a Foghat tribute band called Slow Ride at Shark City in Glendale Heights. They ended up cancelling earlier in the week. The replacement act was Foghat. It was kind of a letdown. :|

That's goddamn funny...

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 1:06 pm 

pizza_Place: Chicago Pizza and Oven Grinders
Have to keep my eyes peeled for this band...

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 1:10 pm 

Peoria Matt wrote:
http://comfortablyfloyd.com/

I'd be interested in boyd's and dardside's opinion on them. I'm not a Floyd guy but I think they sound good.

Honestly, I have not heard of these guys.