It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2024 11:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mac: Pau Gasol
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:54 pm 

You're talking about how they should have pulled the trigger if it were Ben Gordon and a first round pick for Gasol; assuming that was even on the table, I submit you haven't though it through. Unless you contend that Gasol can carry pretty much the entire scoring load by himself, I don't see how that would make the Bulls that much better for this season. Gordon is, by far and away the Bulls top scoring threat. Sure, with Gasol you get some low post presence (not a ton from him for a big guy, actually), but you lose your one out-and-out game-changer. I really don't think you're being fair or realistic with your white-flag comments. Assuming this deal was possible, I'd say you're gambling pretty well even odds; he likes his guys, and I can't really blame him for sticking with them, especially given the fact that they probably wouldn't win a championship this year either way, and there is a good chance they will be able to make other deals at the end of the season.

You've never been an advocate of making a move for the sake of making a move; why the sudden console-pounding over this?

The landowner effectively owns part shares in millions of part-time slaves called, "taxpayers." -Roy L
A Personal Relationship with Jesus?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:04 pm 

He also keeps railing on this topic saying "Unless they wanted Deng, then I completely understand" (or something to that effect). I think it's pretty obvious that THAT is precisely who The Logo wanted, so the rest of his arguement is pointless.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:16 pm 
1000 CLUB

It's also been rumored that West wanted both Gordon AND Deng.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:29 pm 

Quote:
It's also been rumored that West wanted both Gordon AND Deng.

Yeah, that's a good point. People act as though Gasol by himself is somehow better than the Bulls core. I disagree. Right now the Bulls may be a perimeter team, but they're a damn good perimeter team; you give that up, and suddenly you're better on the inside but have lost the outside.

I still say that the Bulls don't want to lose Gordon though; if it were my choice, I think I'd actually lean toward giving up Deng in that trade. At Deng's position, you have a decent substitute in Nocioni; at Gordon's position, you have no one even remotely close to the offensive presence Gordon brings. That said, I can't blame Pax for not giving up Deng either. It was a gamble either way, and he put his money on his guys.

The landowner effectively owns part shares in millions of part-time slaves called, "taxpayers." -Roy L

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:53 pm 

Did you watch the game last night? Thabo had 19. Tyrus added 14. Most of their damage was done before Garbage Time. If either one of those guys can make a big leap like a lot of first rounders do between their first and second seasons, that will make a big difference. Their core is all young and still improving.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:55 pm 

Quote:
Pax is sticking with his guys, but the Bulls are not going to win the championship, so what does it matter? We're just waiting for that inevitable day in May when the Bulls get sent home for the summer. Someone tell me how next year's team will be any different.

Reading is a skill:
Quote:
Assuming this deal was possible, I'd say you're gambling pretty well even odds; he likes his guys, and I can't really blame him for sticking with them, especially given the fact that they probably wouldn't win a championship this year either way, and there is a good chance they will be able to make other deals at the end of the season.

Anyways, my point is this: they give up Gordon for Gasol, and they probably still get bounced this year. You can't look at it as if you add Gasol to the Bulls, because a big part of the Bulls' success is Gordon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:01 pm 

Quote:
MattInTheCrown wrote:
Anyways, my point is this: they give up Gordon for Gasol, and they probably still get bounced this year. You can't look at it as if you add Gasol to the Bulls, because a big part of the Bulls' success is Gordon.

Not to mention that in addition to Gordon they would have had to give up PJ, Tyrus and the Pick. Way to much for a 7 footer labled as "soft".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:01 pm 
1000 CLUB

I think Noce's injury is giving Tyrus Thomas a hell of an opportunity to log some meaningful minutes.

He looked damned impressive last night, but then again, it was Golden State.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:05 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
i just wanna hear the parody song.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:10 pm 

Quote:
i just wanna hear the parody song.

Yeah, that part of it was a crushing blow to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:18 pm 

"He's dishing helpers every night"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:36 pm 

Quote:
Neither Deng nor Thomas will be that guy next year. The East may be weak but, unless something dramatically changes, the Bulls have virtually no shot of winning a championship before 2009. How good is Ben Wallace going to be 2 years from now?

They'd have no chance with Gasol either. Again we're back to talking about making a trade for the sake of making a trade. Is Gasol a top 5 player at his position?

Quote:
Didn't that signing mean that Pax was trying to win this year? And didn't the lack of a trade equal an admission that, several months later, he now thinks the Bulls can't win this year, if he wants to protect a young core?

I'd say yes and yes. He wanted to take a shot at this year, it didn't pan out. Now he's protecting what he has and keeping more options open for the future.

Quote:
This isn't the NCAA tournament where a hot-shooting perimeter team can ride a 6-game winning streak to a championship. The NBA playoffs, with few exceptions, ultimately reward the league's consistently strongest team that year (like the Mavericks). The Bulls will be exposed, and eliminated.

Sure. Gasol doesn't make a Gordon/Deng-less Bulls team better than the Mavericks though. Either way they get bounced.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:48 am 
1000 CLUB

The Daily Herald article I read said it was Deng and filler, which I would've done in a second. Money was probably an issue though, damn you Ben W