It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2024 11:18 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's Pizza
You may not care about Wimbledon, but a familiar voice is calling his final tournament at the All-England Tennis Club for ESPN2 the next 2 weeks. He is Dick Enberg, who recently left his gig as a PBP voice for CBS Sports calling NFL & NCAA Basketball on a regional level to become the full-time voice of the San Diego Padres on COX4 out there.

Enberg has been a fixture calling Wimbledon since 1979 on NBC Sports, and announced that this year, his 32nd, will be his final year calling matches across the pond. Enberg tells the San Diego Union-Tribune that the decision to call his final Wimbledon on ESPN2 was his own and "that ESPN was very sensitive to give me a chance to say goodbye to an event that has been my favorite."

In addition to his play-by-play work on ESPN2's Wimbledon coverage, Enberg will also provide "vignettes" in celebration of calling over 3 decades of tennis at the All-England Tennis Club. Enberg will return to the Padres' booth July 6th, but will take off again to help CBS Sports in its annual coverage of the U.S. Open in late August and early September.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:53 pm 

pizza_Place: ------
SHARK wrote:
You may not care about Wimbledon, but a familiar voice is calling his final tournament at the All-England Tennis Club for ESPN2 the next 2 weeks. He is Dick Enberg, who recently left his gig as a PBP voice for CBS Sports calling NFL & NCAA Basketball on a regional level to become the full-time voice of the San Diego Padres on COX4 out there.

So what you are really saying is that Dick will be exclusively on COX from here on out huh SHARK?

Chus wrote:
RPB is right. You suck. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:58 pm 

If you have the "MLB Extra Innings" package, that's how you are able to see and hear Dick Enberg call San Diego Padres' games. This is his second season as the Padres' PBP voice, but it's the end of an era for Dick calling Wimbledon after coverage on ESPN2 concludes.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:59 pm 

SHARK wrote:
If you have the "MLB Extra Innings" package, that's how you are able to see and hear Dick Enberg call San Diego Padres' games. This is his second season as the Padres' PBP voice, but it's the end of an era for Dick calling Wimbledon after coverage on ESPN2 concludes.

So I need to have a package to get Dick calling games on COX?

Chus wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Lanny Poffo's Sausage and More
You're a bad guy Phil.

I would cover for SHARK, Drop In, Dave in Champaign, my Mom, and Urlacher's Missing Neck. After that, the list gets pretty thin. There are a few people about whom I would definitely fabricate charges.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:03 pm 

Phil McCracken wrote:
SHARK wrote:

DIRECTV has the "Extra Innings" package, Phil. I don't know if COX is cable out there or if Channel 4 is affiliated with CBS, NBC, ABC or FOX as a local station out there in San Diego. I'm not sure about the Padres' TV deal, but Dick's in his second season calling their games.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:03 pm 

SHARK wrote:
Phil McCracken wrote:
SHARK wrote:

DIRECTV has the "Extra Innings" package, Phil. I don't know if COX is cable out there or if Channel 4 is affiliated with CBS, NBC, ABC or FOX as a local station out there in San Diego. I'm not sure about the Padres' TV deal, but Dick's in his second season calling their games.

Thanks SHARK. I am really pulling for Dick and his staff.

Chus wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:59 pm 

Why does NBC have a monopoly on sports that no one cares about?

NBC Sports: 16 good Sunday nights a year and you can just pretend we don't exist otherwise.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:00 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Why does NBC have a monopoly on sports that no one cares about?

NBC Sports: 16 good Sunday nights a year and you can just pretend we don't exist otherwise.

Obviously you are not a fan of the luge

Chus wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:02 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
Dammit McCracken :lol: :lol:

I mean :lol: :lol:

Shit :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Lanny Poffo's Sausage and More
Really bad guy.

I would cover for SHARK, Drop In, Dave in Champaign, my Mom, and Urlacher's Missing Neck. After that, the list gets pretty thin. There are a few people about whom I would definitely fabricate charges.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Hut
In 2 years, NBC could have the Indy 500 and also have the NHL.

I will say this, say what you want about NBC, but I think ABC is worse shape, ESPN took all their sports.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:40 pm 

reents wrote:

I will say this, say what you want about NBC, but I think ABC is worse shape, ESPN took all their sports.

That was a corporate decision, reents. ESPN is the sports wing of ABC broadcasting. ABC will continue to show what they have under contract using the ESPN on ABC banner. As far as the Indy contract rights and whatnot, I can't say anything, but as far as them showing sports, that's not going anywhere.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Langel's
Hall of Famer Chris Evert will make her ESPN debut at Wimbledon this year, joining returnees Cliff Drysdale and Dick Enberg, and analysts Darren Cahill, Mary Joe Fernandez, Brad Gilbert, Patrick McEnroe and Pam Shriver. Chris Fowler will call matches and serve as studio host, sharing that role with Hannah Storm. Tom Rinaldi will provide essays and features.

You've been EAGLO'D

The Original Kid Cairo wrote:
I once jerked in a chicken truck, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:47 pm 

sjboyd0137 wrote:
reents wrote:

That was a corporate decision, reents. ESPN is the sports wing of ABC broadcasting. ABC will continue to show what they have under contract using the ESPN on ABC banner. As far as the Indy contract rights and whatnot, I can't say anything, but as far as them showing sports, that's not going anywhere.

It may have been a corporate decision, but I would say ESPN has destroyed ABC, and that's why there was a story from some of the affilites mad that they had no sports. Couldn't ESPN have been nice and help ABC get some of the events, namely the Nascar and BCS games.

On the Indy 500, I heard a guy that follows this about 2 months ago say that ABC has next year's Indy 500, but after that NBC could get, because of the new NBC deal with Comcast, along with Versus and how there doing things and NBC may start to show more IRL races in the coming year.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:27 pm 

pizza_Place: ALL
Actually they (ESPN/ABC) has been very smart about what they show on ABC. They are way ahead of the curve of sport's diminishing ratings on network TV. ABC has Indy, The (British) Open, and most of the chase races in NASCAR. They got out of the overpriced Olympics, horse racing, and golf.

Sports are finally going the way of network news going to cable.

NBC has finally started to figure it out. It aligned with the golf channel for versatility with rain and other programming they can cross promote with.

Soon, we will be like England with all sports on "sports channels".

In this age of satellite and cable I think this is a good thing.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:30 pm 

reents wrote:

It may have been a corporate decision, but I would say ESPN has destroyed ABC, and that's why there was a story from some of the affilites mad that they had no sports. Couldn't ESPN have been nice and help ABC get some of the events, namely the Nascar and BCS games.

They're the same company. ESPN is the old ABC sports. See Don's comments above mine. I think you're way off base in your line of thinking.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:25 pm 

It could be that I wish the sports, would stay on network tv and not all go to cable. I just think when that happens, they lose some of their bigness.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:31 pm 

WarriorDon wrote:
Actually they (ESPN/ABC) has been very smart about what they show on ABC. They are way ahead of the curve of sport's diminishing ratings on network TV. ABC has Indy, The (British) Open, and most of the chase races in NASCAR. They got out of the overpriced Olympics, horse racing, and golf.

Sports are finally going the way of network news going to cable.

NBC has finally started to figure it out. It aligned with the golf channel for versatility with rain and other programming they can cross promote with.

Soon, we will be like England with all sports on "sports channels".

In this age of satellite and cable I think this is a good thing.

On what ABC has that you put, they don't have the British Open, it's all on ESPN. For Nascar, they only have 1 Chase race and 3 total. THey do have Indy, the NBA, and College Football.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:13 am 

pizza_Place: ALL
reents, thanks for the correction on the Open Championship which is now totally on ESPN.

I agree with you that I hate to see big time sports leaving network tv, but when most people would rather watch people being real in the outback (lol) or some no talent singer that we will never hear from again, showing sports does not make financial sense.