It is currently Mon Sep 23, 2024 5:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:59 am 

pizza_Place: Lugi's of Hong Kong
I think the Steve Stone Cubs mental stalking is pretty much a known known but I give Matt credit for bringing it up the day before he'll be on.

Steve we get it - you hate the Cubs and it kills you how most fans (of both teams) think Len and Bob are much better than anything you have ever or will ever be a part of.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:23 am 

pizza_Place: Lucano's
8675309 wrote:
Steve we get it - you hate the Cubs and it kills you how most fans (of both teams) think Len and Bob are much better than anything you have ever or will ever be a part of.

While I think Stone Poney is pretty much a dbag nowadays when I hear him on the Score, I have to give the guy credit for being great at analyzing Cub games when he worked for them. I enjoy Len and Bob quite a bit, but slow your roll on "most fans" thinking they're better than anything Stone has ever done. Len and Bob offer a different dynamic, as they're both really good. Stone had to work with the Carays, who, to varying degrees, sucked in my opinion. Stone had to do heavier lifting and was great at predicting stuff that would happen in a game. Not sure how he's doing in the Sox booth as his partner keeps me from watching with the sound on.

I do enjoy Brenly when he takes the current team to task. He doesn't give a crap about offending anyone with an honest assessment, and I respect that.

Last edited by Ed_from_Lisle on Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:27 am 

pizza_Place: ------
My big question is why does anybody who cares about the Cubs listen to anything Steve Stone has to say about the team. His agenda is obvious and tiresome. When I hear him coming on the radio I turn the radio off. To be shocked and outraged that Stone said something negative about the Cubs is tiresome. The Score should really just treat him as their Sox expert and let him have at it.

Chus wrote:
RPB is right. You suck. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:29 am 

I agree with you Phil. I always enjoyed Stone when he was with the Cubs and there is no doubt he is a smart baseball guy. But at this point all he should be discussing is the Sox. He does not see the Cubs on a regular basis and I am quite sure he is not using all his free time watching Cub game film. So talk about the Sox, and keep your pie hole shut about the Cubs. I mean imagine how crazy it would be if the Score brought on Bob Brenly and he talked about the Sox and their problems?

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:30 am 

8675309 wrote:
ISteve we get it - you hate the Cubs and it kills you how most fans (of both teams) think Len and Bob are much better than anything you have ever or will ever be a part of.

Not even close to true.

The Brenly thing is waaaaaaay out of hand.

He's a good color guy. Not great.

Stone on the Cubs was lightyears ahead of present Brenly

But if Gravy called out Stone thats cool

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:32 am 

RFDC wrote:
I agree with you Phil. I always enjoyed Stone when he was with the Cubs and there is no doubt he is a smart baseball guy. But at this point all he should be discussing is the Sox. He does not see the Cubs on a regular basis and I am quite sure he is not using all his free time watching Cub game film. So talk about the Sox, and keep your pie hole shut about the Cubs. I mean imagine how crazy it would be if the Score brought on Bob Brenly and he talked about the Sox and their problems?

Yeah only if Bob Brenly had a public falling out with the Sox and went to their in market competition. I really do think Stone is a smart baseball guy and if he limits himself to talking about the Sox I am sure there is some insight he can provide. Can't they just make Jason Goff basketball expert/Cubs expert anyway?

Chus wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:32 am 

I am not interested in comparing Stone from his Cubs era and Brenly now. Stone probably was better. But Brenly is great at his job when compared with the present crop of color guys around baseball. In fact, I would say both Chicago color guys are great when compared with the rest of the league.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's Pizza
RFDC wrote:
I am not interested in comparing Stone from his Cubs era and Brenly now. Stone probably was better. But Brenly is great at his job when compared with the present crop of color guys around baseball. In fact, I would say both Chicago color guys are great when compared with the rest of the league.

Both Steve Stone & Bob Brenly are significantly better than Tim McCarver, who is still somehow FOX Sports' lead MLB analyst.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:25 pm 

SHARK wrote:
RFDC wrote:

Both Steve Stone & Bob Brenly are significantly better than Tim McCarver, who is still somehow FOX Sports' lead MLB analyst.

I agree completely with this statement SHARK

Chus wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:35 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's Pizza
Brenly's partner on Cubs' TV, Len Kasper, is significantly better than Ernie Johnson, Jr. as a PBP voice. Why Turner/TBS Sports had Ernie Jr. as lead PBP voice on its MLB Playoff coverage last October is a mystery to me...He's so much better with Charles Barkley & Kenny Smith in the Atlanta studio on TNT's "Inside the NBA" but flat out "terrible", as Sir Charles would say, as a play-by-play voice...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:11 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
Phil McCracken wrote:
My big question is why does anybody who cares about the Cubs listen to anything Steve Stone has to say about the team. His agenda is obvious and tiresome. When I hear him coming on the radio I turn the radio off. To be shocked and outraged that Stone said something negative about the Cubs is tiresome. The Score should really just treat him as their Sox expert and let him have at it.

In most cases, such as bigfan's, the radio just happens to be on at the time.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:17 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
8675309 wrote:
ISteve we get it - you hate the Cubs and it kills you how most fans (of both teams) think Len and Bob are much better than anything you have ever or will ever be a part of.

Not even close to true.

The Brenly thing is waaaaaaay out of hand.

He's a good color guy. Not great.

Stone on the Cubs was lightyears ahead of present Brenly

Agree. Brenly is very good, but Stone was the best in the business when he was on the north side. I don't get all of the Kasper love. He is a tough listen. That voice is nails on the chalkboard bad. OUTTA HERE!

Kasper sounds like a cross between Kermit the Frog, and the "time to change" Peter Brady.

<º)))><

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:39 pm 

pizza_Place: Lugi's of Hong Kong
rogers park bryan wrote:
8675309 wrote:

Not even close to true.

Dadgumit, I hate when my unofficial poll is shot down by years of research. Well done Frank Luntz.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:17 pm 

pizza_Place: zzzzzz
The only problem with Stoney today is that I can't listen to him due to his partner. I nearly broke the mute button last night after getting a "Don't stop now boys" soon followed by a "daggumit." 8th inning last night?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
Chus wrote:
Phil McCracken wrote:

In most cases, such as bigfan's, the radio just happens to be on at the time.

There is only one man that has the power to turn my radio off! SHOOK IT!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:18 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
Chus wrote:
Stone was the best in the business when he was on the north side.

He's exactly the same douche he's always been. When he worked for the Cubs, Cub fans saw his criticism of their team as "honest" and "telling it like it is". Now that he works for the Sox, the same criticisms are "a vendetta".

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:49 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Chus wrote:
Stone was the best in the business when he was on the north side.

He's exactly the same douche he's always been. When he worked for the Cubs, Cub fans saw his criticism of their team as "honest" and "telling it like it is". Now that he works for the Sox, the same criticisms are "a vendetta".

As a Sox fan, I agree. My statement was more of a commentary on the thin skin and short memories of many Cubs fans.

<º)))><

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:51 am 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
It's easy to kick a team when it's down. It seems like Stoney should take a look at the bad contracts,performance on his own side of town. The childish vendetta/back & forth BS between Ozzie & Kenny should keep him more then busy before talking shit about the Cubs.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:00 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
jimmypasta wrote:
It's easy to kick a team when it's down. It seems like Stoney should take a look at the bad contracts,performance on his own side of town. The childish vendetta/back & forth BS between Ozzie & Kenny should keep him more then busy before talking shit about the Cubs.

He's paid by the Score to discuss both teams.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Olde Silver Tavern, Manalapan, NJ [R.I.P.?]
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
He's paid by the Score to discuss both teams.

This is a big part of the problem. I believe it's called Zaidman Syndrome.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:12 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Many, many Cubs fans wanted Stone as the Cubs next GM....until he was no longer employed by them.

Roger, Len & Bob are not great as you stated, but they have a good chemistry between them and work really well together. Early on, Hawk and Wimpy were like that and to a certain extent, so were Farmer and Rooney. Before Harry Caray really went senile, he and Stone worked great together too.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.