It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 8:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Jobu
Tall Midget wrote:
Quote:
No, I think it involves the jettisoning of the failed exhibitionist. And hopefully the failed columnist, too.

You are probably correct. Isn't it always the case, however, that good things happen in groups of 3? Can't the failed standup "round out" (literally) the triumvirate?

1999-2000-2009
----------
XXI - XXV - XLII - XLVI

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:57 pm 
1000 CLUB

Mac said there was an issue with Space Ball a few months back over him calling the show he was subbing for the J Hood show instead of its name and that he was sitting in.

Then this issue with JD I guess right when Hood got to ESPN 1000. Plus some of the things that NwO has said happened at the Score.

Hood needs to play better with people. Especially after getting a 2nd shot at ESPN 1000. He wasn't a regular and didn't have his own show. He should have learned something at the Score and try to blend in with the regulars at ESPN.

At least until you get a contract then you can act like a big shot and piss on people. LOL.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:29 am 
1000 CLUB

Bring it up while it's happening, but that's lame to hash up old stuff trying to stir shit up again, especially when it doesn't involve you

Post subject: J Hood
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:56 am 

pizza_Place: PaPa Passero's Westmont
J Hood tries too hard to fit in. When he's on MJH-he slams Harry, When he fills in for Silvy, he slams him. He should show these guy some respect. They are full time station employees, and he is lucky to be on the air. He also takes things too personally, and needs to not act like he is better than everyone else.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:52 pm 

pizza_Place: Johns in Cal City
It's a good thing Jesse Rogers is around, or Hood would be the worst thing on the radio, by far.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
I think Hood has to be the most polarizing radio personality going right now. Based on comments here, you don't see any middle ground with him - Either people love him or hate him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:21 pm 
1000 CLUB

I guess since I don't like Pappy and Salisbury it means I hate white people too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
Exactly Nas, I used to say the same things on here back in 04 and 05, but then Ed Asner and Many Names Guy and Stickfigure would come after me so after a while I just said "Forget It". That's why I don't get into it anymore.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:29 pm 

Quote:
Nas wrote:
Quote:
I think Hood has to be the most polarizing radio personality going right now. Based on comments here, you don't see any middle ground with him - Either people love him or hate him.

The people that hate him seem to hate him for the same reason they like other host. I swear race has a lot to do with the dislike of him. His sports knowledge is second to none in Chicago.

I actually hated him until I thought he was black. Now I love him. I love the black man!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:31 pm 

Nas - I personally dont hate Hood. I am more indifferant. If you want to see hate, then check out my posts in the S & R section. I don't question Hood's knowledge of sports. I just don't like his presentation. I feel he rips off other's schtick a lot and Im annoyed when he reads emails. I think its tough to question peoples issues with Hood over race for the simple reason that there are not a lot of black radio hosts in this city or accross the nation for that matter. If people are hypocritical to every black radio host, then I would understand your point. If anything, the question should be why is there not a more diverse sports radio broadcast in this city.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:35 pm 
1000 CLUB

Well if we don't like Hood I guess we all have to state a black media member that we do like to prove we're not racist.

NAME YOUR FAVORITE BLACK MEDIA GUY...LIGHT EM UP!!!

Mine is Michael Wilbon. Very smart and brings up points that don't meet the eye.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:45 pm 
1000 CLUB

Beardown wrote:
Well if we don't like Hood I guess we all have to state a black media member that we do like to prove we're not racist.

NAME YOUR FAVORITE BLACK MEDIA GUY...LIGHT EM UP!!!

Mine is Michael Wilbon. Very smart and brings up points that don't meet the eye.

Mine is Mike North!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:46 pm 
1000 CLUB

Only you Nas.

Last edited by Beardown on Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:48 pm 
1000 CLUB

There should be a MUCH more diverse group of media both locally and nationally. I stay away from ever watching the Boo Yahs but the two main black guys I can think of are Wilbon and Screamin A. Wilbon is one of the best most times but I don't think he's on enough from what I can see. Screamin A is just an embarassment to all humanity. Does anyone think that shitheads like Steven A have hurt opportunities for others in the industry?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:59 pm 

Quote:
What black host is liked by many in this city? I think why a lot of people dislike(hate was the wrong word) his delivery is because they can't relate to it.

I go back to my statement that there are not a lot to choose from. How many asian hosts are liked by many in this city? Nas Im assuming you're black and by your logic you would not relate to most hosts in this city yet you would not be on here if you weren't entertained by some of them. I am simply not entertained by Hood.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:08 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
I am having a difficult time trying to think of radio personalities that currently rank higher than Hood on my list. I think Hood does a great job and is very knowledgeable. I can understand why some people don't like the impressions, but to question his sports knowledge does not make much sense to me. Until he gets a regular show, Hood continues to be an under-utilized employee of ESPN 1000.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:14 pm 

Quote:
I get outside my neighborhood sometimes. Therefore relating to someone that doesn't look like me usually isn't an issue. Most of my clients don't look like me and I don't have a problem relating to them.

That is my point. You can't assume that people don't like Hood because they haven't been out of their neighborhood so they have a problem relating to him. Certainly, there are some that are just ignorant, but let's not be so quick to blame it on race. Like I stated earlier you'd be better to call out the radio execs who decide who goes on air than us listeners who have no control.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:16 pm 
1000 CLUB

I listen to B&B a lot and some of the best sports conversation I've heard is when some of the black callers and Bernstein go back and forth. It's usually on basketball but either way. I'm going to guess that there just isn't a big pool for the radio execs to choose from. Might be something like how baseball is struggling to get interest with the younger kids nowadays. They've all flocked to basketball and football. My biggest fear is to have a bunch more copycats of Steven A all over the media though. My next biggest fear is a meteor wiping the earth of all human existence.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:21 pm 
1000 CLUB

Quote:
That is my point. You can't assume that people don't like Hood because they haven't been out of their neighborhood so they have a problem relating to him. Certainly, there are some that are just ignorant, but let's not be so quick to blame it on race. Like I stated earlier you'd be better to call out the radio execs who decide who goes on air than us listeners who have no control.

On those radio execs, I think you could make a good case for race being a possible issue though. Look at some of the worthless assholes who are still employed (Salisbury) and the ones who are just sort of there but don't contribute much (Carmen & JD). These guys are all part of the regular mix on the station. Then you have an established guy like Hood who can't even get a regular gig. All we've heard is that he pissed Spaceball off when he first got there. Who cares? Are we to believe that none of the other guys have pissed off their co-workers and management (Murph, Salisbury, North)? Why do they keep getting away with it when Hood is sitting on the sidelines with no work?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:26 pm 
1000 CLUB

Larry Holmes really screws this up for me. I don't know wheather to hate him because he's half black or give him the benefit of the doubt because he's half white.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:28 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Nas wrote:
I'm not. How could you say something like that about me?

:lol:

than wifey has some 'splainin to do about the color of your kids ;)

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:05 pm 
100000 CLUB

just like Nordberg is Naked Gun 33 1/3 eh? :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:06 pm 
1000 CLUB

Quote:
Great.

First teases, next Mac will become a metrosexual. It's a slippery slope. :evil:

We have a winner. I think the good Doctor deserves some meat for this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:11 pm 

pizza_Place: Duneland Pizza
No one liked Jivin' Hal McRae?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:00 pm 

Bill Wennington is my favorite Canadian media member.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:02 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
Kramer wrote:
Bill Wennington is my favorite Canadian media member.

You must not have seen the "Naked News".

Why knew Weather could be so much fun?

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:45 pm 

pizza_Place: Gem City
hawkeye wrote:
On those radio execs, I think you could make a good case for race being a possible issue though. Look at some of the worthless assholes who are still employed (Salisbury) and the ones who are just sort of there but don't contribute much (Carmen & JD). These guys are all part of the regular mix on the station. Then you have an established guy like Hood who can't even get a regular gig. All we've heard is that he pissed Spaceball off when he first got there. Who cares? Are we to believe that none of the other guys have pissed off their co-workers and management (Murph, Salisbury, North)? Why do they keep getting away with it when Hood is sitting on the sidelines with no work?

I don't have an axe to grind with regard to Hood. However, let's not forget that he had at least 2 regular gigs at The Score. When you throw Jigs & Holmes into the mix it's pretty hard to make a case that he's a victim of racism. Further - How are you defining established? Hood would not be relegated to the sidelines if his shows had ever exhibited strong ratings.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 10:40 am 
100000 CLUB

for ESPN, they dont seem to matter between 9am and noon oclock either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:41 am 
1000 CLUB

The Score had to like The J Hood evening shows, because they moved him up to afternoons. Unfortunately, they saw potential $$$ by hiring Telander and making it his show. Hood fouled up, and Rosen came along and didn't like him.

At 1000, I can't explain why Hood isn't on more often. I don't think it has anything to do with race. Is there any proof to suggest it's not race? Is there any proof to suggest it is race? Neither one exists so until there is, i am going to assume the race factor in this situation is non-existent.

I think its mismanagement more than anything. 1000 saw potential $$$ with Sean Salisbury. Everyone got knocked down a step, including Carm, Silvy, JD and Hood. The only hope is when Salisbury leaves town, the evenings open up for a permanent J Hood spot.

Some people dislike him, others like or love him. It's like that with everyone. Just because there are some people who dislike him doesn't mean he doesn't deserve a spot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:24 am 

I've been a J Hood listener for some yrs now and have always enjoyed listening to him. Sayin he has a vast knowledge of the Sox and Bulls is an understatement. He also keeps up with the national stuff too and is pretty damn good at that too.
I think his show on 1000 is long overdue