It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 12:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
rogers park bryan wrote:
Anyone 30 or under wrote:
Oh Dahl? Thats the Disco Demolition guy right?

That is too much credit I bet most people under 30 dont even know what the Disco Demolition was.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Gem City
Hank Scorpio wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Anyone 30 or under wrote:
Oh Dahl? Thats the Disco Demolition guy right?

That is too much credit I bet most people under 30 dont even know what the Disco Demolition was.
or disco.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:28 pm 

Scorehead wrote:
When Dahl signs on with WGN later this year I will begin listening to the Stever again.
Does Johnny B also make your list of radio has-beens who you think will return to their former glory? (Coppock, North, Dahl, etc.)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:42 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Scorehead wrote:
When Dahl signs on with WGN later this year I will begin listening to the Stever again.
Does Johnny B also make your list of radio has-beens who you think will return to their former glory? (Coppock, North, Dahl, etc.)

He made sure his daughter danced with Wayne Coyne now maybe he can get Dahl to take her to the prom.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Johns in Cal City

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:12 pm 

Scorehead wrote:
Urlacher's missing neck wrote:
Although it doesn't preclude him from going to WGB...
"Chicago radio legend Steve Dahl made an announcement via his Twitter account moments ago, announcing his future plans. Beginning August 1st, he will be charging a monthly fee of $9.95 to hear the podcasts." Can Pappy be far behind?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:16 pm 

Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Scorehead wrote:
"Chicago radio legend Steve Dahl made an announcement via his Twitter account moments ago, announcing his future plans. Beginning August 1st, he will be charging a monthly fee of $9.95 to hear the podcasts." Can Pappy be far behind?

Does his contract that was paying him to do nothing run out on 7/31?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:23 pm 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
My brother is a big Bubba the Love Sponge fan, as such, I accompanied him up to Milwaukee for a meet-n-greet @ the Dave and Busters up there back in early-mid June.

Bubba said during his de-facto "State of the Bubba" address that one of the people he's been talking with about trying to sign for his channels on radioio.com is Steve Dahl.

That's right, good ol Steve Dahl is at least kicking the tires on the idea of going over to LIVE INTERNET RADIO and having a show on somebody else's channel (Bubba 2).

Whenever you hear Laurence do his "[Caller] is on the Score, and wants to talk about [subject]" know that this is likely the most lasting impact of Steve Dahl on Chicago radio. There are no more "shock jocks" or "edgy" talk shows with a bunch of failed television shows, there's just some little (literally) half-wit like Laurence carrying on with stupid college-radio-caliber devices like that because "Steve Dahl did it, and I think he knows a LITTLE more about radio than you"

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:43 pm 

I like spiegs and I like mac. However the two of them together is the problem. I think it is because spiegs is afraid to push mac's buttons because he owes his job to mac. jurko and harry did not. boers did not. so they would challenge him. spiegs needs to more, but i am sure that he owes this contract to mac as well as last years. In my youth i called my boss a jackass one day, and that was my last day there. Maybe spiegs thinks the same will happen to him.

the victory cry of low achievers

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:53 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Scorehead wrote:

What the hell is going on here? You fucked up the quotes somehow. I never said that.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:55 pm 

:lol:

UMN loves the Stever

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Scorehead wrote:

That's exactly where Dahl belongs- the station for old ladies where he can be what he is, which is everything he laughed at and mocked when he was actually relevant. Enjoy!
Sad but true. Even if he partnered up with Garry over there, that ship has long since sailed as far being relevant in Chicago radio anymore. He turned into a less entertaining version of Boers as he aged ( if thats even fucking possible), so much so that I dont even think WGN would take him.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

Last edited by badrogue17 on Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
badrogue17 wrote:
He turned into a less entertaining version of Boers as he aged ( if thats even fucking possible), so much so that I dont even thing WGN would take him.

This sentence alone should make him go jump off a bridge.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:19 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
badrogue17 wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Scorehead wrote:

That's exactly where Dahl belongs- the station for old ladies where he can be what he is, which is everything he laughed at and mocked when he was actually relevant. Enjoy!
Sad but true. Even if he partnered up with Garry over there, that ship has long since sailed as far being relevant in Chicago radio anymore. He turned into a less entertaining version of Boers as he aged ( if thats even fucking possible), so much so that I dont even thing WGN would take him.

I have to admit, if they partnered him with Meier, I'd give it a try. But I know I'd be disappointed. It's like seeing that chick who was smoking hot in high school at the 30 year reunion and now she's just fat and old. It isn't going to make me feel good.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:29 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Vincent Antonelli wrote:
I like spiegs and I like mac. However the two of them together is the problem. I think it is because spiegs is afraid to push mac's buttons because he owes his job to mac. jurko and harry did not. boers did not. so they would challenge him. spiegs needs to more, but i am sure that he owes this contract to mac as well as last years. In my youth i called my boss a jackass one day, and that was my last day there. Maybe spiegs thinks the same will happen to him.

If you don't think Mac got Jurko the job over at MJH you are high.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:46 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Bianchi's - Ottawa
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
I have to admit, if they partnered him with Meier, I'd give it a try. But I know I'd be disappointed. It's like seeing that chick who was smoking hot in high school at the 30 year reunion and now she's just fat and old. It isn't going to make me feel good.

That's my feeling on it. It's unreasonable to think a guy in his mid 50's is going to talk and act like he did in his 30's. I'll always treasure the "Golden Age" of Johnny B, Kevin Matthews, and Steve & Garry, but that was then. I'm not gonna spend $10 a month to hear Dahl podcast from his basement.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:01 pm 
1000 CLUB

Vincent Antonelli wrote:

I think the real problem is that Mac is just a lazy fuck, doing the same shit he's done for years. No prep, more interested in himself and his juvenile interests and basically an over-rated, uninteresting jerk.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Boboli
pittmike wrote:
Vincent Antonelli wrote:

If you don't think Mac got Jurko the job over at MJH you are high.

Maybe initially, but he earned every contract since.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:20 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
+1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Scorehead wrote:
His demo is pretty close to that of WSCR.

I don't know if that's true or not, but if so, it certainly isn't by design. I'm sure the Score is chasing the coveted 18-34 demo and I highly doubt Dahl has many listeners under 40. The man thinks LoHo increases his hipness factor for God's sake! That's what I call out of touch.

The demo that advertisers covet is Men age 25-54.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:18 pm 

Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Scorehead wrote:

Johnny B has also been rumored to go to WGN radio for a few years now. He & Dahl would be immediately better than every host currently on WGN with the exception of Garry Meier.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:28 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
Q.Bovifs wrote:
The Score needs a bad boy, an uncontrollable force - a la the young Steve Dahl.

Mitch, you can PM me if you wish to harness The Power Of The Panthro.

Agree, but not sure they want that. They don't want a personality star, because that person will never warrant the ratings/paycheck they deliver. AKA Mike North Effect.

They want the station to be the star.

Plus, I think they feel no matter what they do they can only squeeze so much out of the Score Stone.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:32 pm 

bigfan wrote:
Q.Bovifs wrote:

Agree, but not sure they want that. They don't want a personality star, because that person will never warrant the ratings/paycheck they deliver. AKA Mike North Effect.

They want the station to be the star.

Plus, I think they feel no matter what they do they can only squeeze so much out of the Score Stone.

Mike North was worth every red cent that WSCR payed him. He got 10X more publicity than the rest of the hosts put together. Plus, he did bring in many of the advertisers in the early years. I know the younger guys here who didnt listen from day one will choose not to believe this, but the older guys here remember the way it was.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:40 pm 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
Yes,Mike was the King of Sportstalk. He went downhill when he split from Jiggs. Dan Jiggets is a solid pro who tried to keep Mike in line. It was a great balance between being a solid pro & being nuts. North's interviewing skills were rough but he was never afraid of stepping outside the lines. B&B rip guys left and right,but when it comes to interviews all Bernstein worrys about is showing the guy on the other end how smart he is.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:50 pm 

Q.Bovifs wrote:

Well that would make every other show on the score better by comparison.

the victory cry of low achievers

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:42 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Freezer.
Is that what North was doing all those years? Or was it perhaps Jesse?

As to Spiegel, its good news.

Regards Jason, I'd put him in the 6-10pm slot, presuming LoHo is launched.