It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 8:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:18 pm 

pizza_Place: Langel's
Gwen Stefani

The Original Kid Cairo wrote:
I once jerked in a chicken truck, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Phils' on 35th all you need to know
Goo Goo Dolls listen to the first few Cd you see a really good Alt heavy rock band, then someone gave them a boatload of cash for Iris and well pop entire new band/sound.Still a good band but just not the same as at first.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:24 pm 

chaspoppcap wrote:
Goo Goo Dolls listen to the first few Cd you see a really good Alt heavy rock band, then someone gave them a boatload of cash for Iris and well pop entire new band/sound.Still a good band but just not the same as at first.

Good example.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:35 pm 

pizza_Place: Gem City
Although I am sure they are despised by many on this board - REO, Styx & Chicago all changed there sound/style to pop love songs late in their career.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:39 pm 

pizza_Place: Chicago Pizza and Oven Grinders
Douchebag wrote:

Pretty sure you're referring to my earlier post. I was never even a fan of the Plain White T's. I was hanging out with a chick years ago who was seeing them at the Wheaton Grand Theater with the hopes of possibly being able to make out with her (that didn't happen...). I just thought it was funny that a band that was considered part of that genre is now played on 101.9 and middle aged women listen to it, that's all. If that ain't seeling out, then what is?

I guess my perspective is the entire point of being a musician is to "sell out"...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:35 pm 

shirtless driver wrote:
Vincent Antonelli wrote:
Biggest sellout ever is U2.

Yep.
http://www.billboard.biz/bbbiz/industry ... 2152.story

Considering the crazy price of tickets, I am not suprised. I was huge U2 fan back in the 80s and early 90s. Pop and Zooropa were the sellout times and total pieces of shit. Those tours were brutal and everything they were against in the 80s. Since 2000 they have made some great music, but when they announced the 360 tour early last year they said it was for the fans. Bullshit. The only reasonable ticket prices were in top rows of Soldier Field. That to me is a band that sold out their souls and became what they started out against.

the victory cry of low achievers

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:35 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
Douchebag wrote:
immessedup17 wrote:
I should have mentioned Hoobastank too.

They never sold out. They sucked from the start.

Wait, he actually has a point!

I think this can only be measure from where they started. Ice Cube. Street hood, guns blazin, etc, I can only guess still gets high and thats about his only tie to the hood.

Ever seen Snoops smoking house where he plays videos games and puffs? It was a storage shed he bough at Home Depot and put in his backyard with an extension chord. Now that's keepin it Ghetto!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Positanos on 55th Street
Eaglo Jeff wrote:
Gwen Stefani

Close, but it has to be The Black Eyed Peas. I know it's worked out for them financially, but they're a completely different group from when they started. And I mean completely different. Underground Hip Hop to pop songs and changing your lyrics for cash. Here's some early Peas. Take a listen. It's worth it. What happened?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXcqQW6p72A&feature=related

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Although I am sure they are despised by many on this board - REO, Styx & Chicago all changed there sound/style to pop love songs late in their career.

Chicago shouldve packed it in after the great Terry Kath got stupid with a loaded gun. Great band up until that point , Danny Seraphine one of the most underrated drummers in music IMO.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:53 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
when i first read the thread title i initially thought: Metallica - Black Album, Load, Re-Load....

but, the term "sell out" is tough. i think everyone here that has an ounce of musical talent would love a boatload of cash if they wrote a cheesy acoustic ballad about bodies being wonderlands or a goofy dance song about the discovery channel.
then there is the perceived integrity that a band merits. is it their fault for writing a song that thousands -> millions of people enjoy?
aren't musicians allowed to have their tastes change as they get better at their craft? i think about alex skolnick of testament starting a extremely successful jazz trio. metalheads know him as the guitar player from testament. the rest of the world knows of him as the jazz guy. did he sell out? did Paul McCartney sell out for writing half of Michael Jackson's Off The Wall album?
Are comedians selling out for lending their voices to Disney flicks?

so...
do we respect a band more for evolving, while keeping the feel/direction/sound of previous albums...(because that becomes boring)
or
do we respect a band more for having the balls to write "simple pop songs" (because these new tunes are not like their older stuff man!).

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:59 pm 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
badrogue17 wrote:
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:

Chicago shouldve packed it in after the great Terry Kath got stupid with a loaded gun. Great band up until that point , Danny Seraphine one of the most underrated drummers in music IMO.

The current drummer for the group is pretty good,too. I've been backstage at a few Chicago concerts and can say those guys don't have the "tudes" that a lot of music stars might have. Of course they are older now but still pretty damn good.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:23 pm 

Matches Malone wrote:
Eaglo Jeff wrote:
Gwen Stefani

Close, but it has to be The Black Eyed Peas. I know it's worked out for them financially, but they're a completely different group from when they started. And I mean completely different. Underground Hip Hop to pop songs and changing your lyrics for cash. Here's some early Peas. Take a listen. It's worth it. What happened?

I think it bothers me more that Gwen "sold out" because I actually liked No Doubt. I could see the writing on the wall though with "Hella Good". I don't hate her now; just disappointed. She has every right to go suck.....so to speak.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:45 pm 

doug - evergreen park wrote:
when i first read the thread title i initially thought: Metallica - Black Album, Load, Re-Load....

I always liked how Lars Ulrich would say in an interview..."You're damn right, we sold out every frickin' show we did...and we love it!" or something to that effect. That's ballsy and no nonsense enough for me.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:53 pm 

^^^^
They've just always sucked....sorry Bud Dude.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:55 pm 

pizza_Place: Kaiser's - Kenosha
Vincent Antonelli wrote:
shirtless driver wrote:
Vincent Antonelli wrote:
Biggest sellout ever is U2.

Yep.

Considering the crazy price of tickets, I am not suprised. I was huge U2 fan back in the 80s and early 90s. Pop and Zooropa were the sellout times and total pieces of shit. Those tours were brutal and everything they were against in the 80s. Since 2000 they have made some great music, but when they announced the 360 tour early last year they said it was for the fans. Bullshit. The only reasonable ticket prices were in top rows of Soldier Field. That to me is a band that sold out their souls and became what they started out against.

:roll:
I deleted the original Billboard link because you can only have one url per post.
According to my ticket stubs, my wife and I paid a WHOPPING $250.80 for 6 tickets to 3 shows.
$32.00 ticket price, $9.80 TicketDOUCHE charge per ticket.
I saw all 3 "360 Tour" shows they played at Soldier Field and my WORST vantage point was this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUDYD_MNe84

You may not like Pop or Zooropa, and that's fine, but those were hardly sellout efforts.
2 of their lowest selling records. Sellout means change your music for the only purpose of cashing in.
Pop and Zooropa were change for artistic reasons. As was Achtung Baby. Funny that you mention
the "great music since 2000", considering any knowledgeable U2 fan would probably regard
All That You Can't Leave Behind as their "sellout" album (:roll:), which just so happened to come out in 2000. :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:09 pm 

doug - evergreen park wrote:
Are comedians selling out for lending their voices to Disney flicks?

well, i'll use the example of david cross, who admitted to taking chipmunk roles so he could buy nice things.

but he also still does his stand up routine the way he wants to do it, and tours. so...in the world of entertainment, yes everyone will sell out.

in music, i'll use my example of sugar ray. if they put out an album of just pop songs to make money, but then also release a record of their own style, thrash punk that got them started...then at least they're still staying true a little to the form that they had to begin with.

maybe it'll always come down to opinion, but when you abandon everything you were before and don't go back, then i consider that "selling out".

then there's someone like john mayer - the guy clearly is talented, has a good sense of humor, and is awesome at guitar. but he only produces the most vomit inducing love ballads that make anyone that isn't a 13 year old girl cringe (yes i'm using hyperbole here). if he simultaneously released his own stuff, i think he wouldn't have as bad a rep with a lot of people.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:15 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
Q.Bovifs wrote:
Henry Rollins is an example of a guy that is mainstream-approved, yet has not "sold out".

He has never become MegaRich or MegaPopular, either, though.

This is true, I have always found a lot of value in what Rollins has put down on paper
and as a spoken word performer. His music leaves a lot to be desired but even he admits
that he sucks. He isn't for everyone but can honestly say he hasn't changed to grow his
particular brand of piss and vinegar. You either like him or you don't and he is fine with
that.

Edit: I'll admit that some of his movie roles have been subpar but looking at a lot of them you
will have to admit that some are parodies of himself and meant in jest.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:03 am 

shirtless driver wrote:
:roll:
I deleted the original Billboard link because you can only have one url per post.
According to my ticket stubs, my wife and I paid a WHOPPING $250.80 for 6 tickets to 3 shows.
$32.00 ticket price, $9.80 TicketDOUCHE charge per ticket.
I saw all 3 "360 Tour" shows they played at Soldier Field and my WORST vantage point was this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUDYD_MNe84

You may not like Pop or Zooropa, and that's fine, but those were hardly sellout efforts.
2 of their lowest selling records. Sellout means change your music for the only purpose of cashing in.
Pop and Zooropa were change for artistic reasons. As was Achtung Baby. Funny that you mention
the "great music since 2000", considering any knowledgeable U2 fan would probably regard
All That You Can't Leave Behind as their "sellout" album (:roll:), which just so happened to come out in 2000. :wink:

Whoa.

There is not a more knowledgeable U2 fan than me on this board or planet. All that You Cant Leave Behind is not even close to being a sellout.

They soldout a long time before that. Achtung Baby and the Zoo TV tour's whole theme was selling out. It was done tongue in cheek, rather brilliantly I might add. Because Bono was making fun of the whole ridiculousness of being a Rock Star, it was an artistic sell out.

I will say this Vincent. I dont think they were ever against mainstream or whatever. They were against war and had a political twinge, but they were never the little band that could.

Zoo Tv was the last reasonably priced U2 tour. I mean, compartively theyre fine, but once you start charging over 100$ per ticket, youve lost me.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:25 pm 

Achtung Baby and Zoo TV were a big "Fuck You" to the haters who kept shitting on their "earnestness".
Neither were sellouts, in fact BOTH were HUGE risks. As were POP, and NLOTH.
ATYCLB is the safest, most radio-friendly U2 album, which makes it what I consider to be the only thing that I would view as a sellout, which I don't.

But like you said, there isn't a more knowledgable U2 fan than yourself, so feel free to tell me how I'm wrong again. Or don't.
Greatest band ever, and that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Edited to add: WAIT, you don't think $32 per ticket is REASONABLE???????? :shock:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:31 pm 

shirtless driver wrote:
Achtung Baby and Zoo TV were a big "Fuck You" to the haters who kept shitting on their "earnestness".
Neither were sellouts, in fact BOTH were HUGE risks. As were POP, and NLOTH.
ATYCLB is the safest, most radio-friendly U2 album, which makes it what I consider to be the only thing that I would view as a sellout, which I don't.

But like you said, there isn't a more knowledgable U2 fan than yourself, so feel free to tell me how I'm wrong again. Or don't.
Greatest band ever, and that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Edited to add: WAIT, you don't think $32 per ticket is REASONABLE???????? :shock:

Joshua Tree, Rattle and Hum, and even the experimental Achtung Baby could be seen as more radio friendly. One and Even Better than the Real thing were clearly meant for large consumption.

Becoming Macphisto and the Fly was U2's version of selling out. Yes it was a shot at critics and a fuck you to people saying theyre too series, but the line between artistic fuck you and actual sell out becomes blurred.

I mean, they let their music be used in movies and on Tv throughout the 90's.

I dont know where youre getting 32$ tickets. I wrote, once you get into triple digits, you lose me. I gave up U2 concerts a while ago, after spending a ton of money on them in the 90's. I guess 360 had reasonable prices. Popmart was expensive and the Elevation tour was as well.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:03 pm 

OK, I don't know how to respond quote for quote, but:

How do you define sellout? They were arguably the biggest band in the world at the time of TJT.
Achtung Baby was a pretty radical departure from what made them that. Selling out is being safe. Achtung Baby was not safe.
"Elevation" was safe. :roll:
As far as being priced out of U2 shows, here's my stats:
360 - $32.00
Vertigo - $49.50
Elevation - $45.00
PopMart - $52.50
I no longer have the stubs from ZOOTV, ZOOTV Outside Broadcast, or Joshua Tree so I don't know how much those tickets were.
You sound like the guy Bernstein always rips on with that ridiculous accent "I can't affor' da go to da games". :lol:
Like I said, some people can afford to get 1 $250 ticket for 1 show. I paid $250 total for 2 tix a piece for 3 seperate shows.
Depends on where you wanna sit (or stand), I guess.

I've paid more ($57+fees) for fucking Coldplay than I ever have for a U2 show. :|

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:06 pm 

shirtless driver wrote:
I've paid more ($57+fees) for fucking Coldplay than I ever have for a U2 show. :|

Speaking of sellouts...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:08 pm 

Me or them.................. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:33 pm 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
Chris_in_joliet wrote:
Exactly my point. You can sit there and rap about being so hardcore and then movies like Cube has done.

eh...how are you gonna rap about sellin rocks or being broke or gang bangin after you make it and have real money... that is like sayin jay z is a sellout because he isn't pushin on the corner and rappin about it anymore.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Matches Malone wrote:
Eaglo Jeff wrote:
Gwen Stefani

Could not agree more.

I never really dug them that much, but I respected what they were doing at first...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:57 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Hut
312player wrote:
Chris_in_joliet wrote:
Exactly my point. You can sit there and rap about being so hardcore and then movies like Cube has done.

eh...how are you gonna rap about sellin rocks or being broke or gang bangin after you make it and have real money... that is like sayin jay z is a sellout because he isn't pushin on the corner and rappin about it anymore.

I completely agree, 312Player.

Kid Cairo: 2013 March Madness Tournament Winner!

"Cowabunga? Cowa fucking piece of dog shit! This game is diarrhea coming out of my dick!"

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:24 am 

shirtless driver wrote:
OK, I don't know how to respond quote for quote, but:

How do you define sellout? They were arguably the biggest band in the world at the time of TJT.
Achtung Baby was a pretty radical departure from what made them that. Selling out is being safe. Achtung Baby was not safe.

Ive written twice already how U2 was a unique situation with how they kinda sold out but not really with Achtung Baby.

They were making fun of sellouts by selling out HUGE.

Achtung Baby was a departure and a risk. At the same time, they put three arguably four safe Old school U2 songs that could have easily been on The Joshua Tree (One, So Cruel, TTTYAATW, Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses)

But if you think that they hadnt sold out by the time PopMart came out, then I dont know what to tell you. The band themselves would laugh at that notion.

shirtless driver wrote:
As far as being priced out of U2 shows, here's my stats:
360 - $32.00
Vertigo - $49.50
Elevation - $45.00
PopMart - $52.50
I no longer have the stubs from ZOOTV, ZOOTV Outside Broadcast, or Joshua Tree so I don't know how much those tickets were.
You sound like the guy Bernstein always rips on with that ridiculous accent "I can't affor' da go to da games". :lol:
Like I said, some people can afford to get 1 $250 ticket for 1 show. I paid $250 total for 2 tix a piece for 3 seperate shows.
Depends on where you wanna sit (or stand), I guess.

Ok, well thats great. Seems youve gotten the cheapest tickets each time. We are all not so lucky, especially with the demand for U2.

I think any concert ticket over 100$ is ridiculous. Just my personal opinion bro.

As far as being priced out, I spent a ridiculous amount of money on U2 from 97-2002. I would go to every Chicago show, a couple out of state and it was a party each time. Just a stupid amount of money. So Im kind of a special case, as I decided that I had spent all I could on that Band...at least for a while.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:28 am 

pizza_Place: Gino's East.
The biggest sellout ever was the evolution of a great band Jefferson Airplane:

Jefferson Airplane became

Jefferson Starship which became

Starship.

Brutal.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:29 am 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
NSJ wrote:

Starship.

Brutal.

I think we have a winner.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:35 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
sjboyd0137 wrote:
NSJ wrote:

Starship.

Brutal.

I think we have a winner.

Coke wasn't cheap and they weren't making money in the 80's so they did it out of need not greed.