It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 6:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:15 pm 
1000 CLUB

Quote:
I interpreted Mac's main point to be that Cowley was promoting and crediting the Score for some of the Sox reporting in his columns. Writing for a paper and reporting for a radio station may not be a conflict of interest. However, plugging the radio station in your columns most certainly is.

I'm sorry I wasn't on the board for this earlier - Coast is exactly right. The point is that in every article Cowley has written since going on assignment for the Score, Joe pimped at least one show or host. That is the definition of conflict of interest, not to mention he is scooping himself by putting it on the airwaves before he goes to print. If something is put on the air, then the Tribune could take it and print it. Then, the Sun-Times no longer has an exclusive. With a tidbit in a notebook, it isn't a huge deal - it just sets a bad precedent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
Yeah today's sidebar in the Suntimes from Cowley gives mention to North and Co for the Rowand interview.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:15 pm 
1000 CLUB

Quote:
Coast2Coast wrote:
I interpreted Mac's main point to be that Cowley was promoting and crediting the Score for some of the Sox reporting in his columns. Writing for a paper and reporting for a radio station may not be a conflict of interest. However, plugging the radio station in your columns most certainly is.

I would agree with your point Coast . But you look at some of the scribes in this town that plug certain shows in where they either sat in as a guest or filled in . If the Sun-Times and the Score don't have a problem with it, I don't understand why Dan would.

He had two guys from his own station who were on the 'Final Word' on Fox 32 Sunday night in Silvermen and Waddle who promoted their new show at every turn during the broadcast.

I don't think Dan would of bitched if Cowley was on the ESPN payroll doing the same thing .It sounds like sour grapes on Dan's part.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:42 pm 

Quote:
He had two guys from his own station who were on the 'Final Word' on Fox 32 Sunday night in Silvermen and Waddle who promoted their new show at every turn during the broadcast.

Were they simply promoting their show on the show or were they promoting their show THE SHOW on the show??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:49 pm 
1000 CLUB

Quote:
[quote="FinjiFair enough Ryan. I'll explain further. I don't believe Mac writing a column is a conflict of interest. In fact, I don't agree with Mac that Joe Cowley working for the Score is a conflict of interest either.

As far as the Score sending a reporter...that's a mistake on their part. Not because they're the Sox flagship, but because the Sox are a major sports team in a major sports city.

I totally agree with you and Mac on the Score not sending B&B out to cover the Sox. That's a joke that the flagship does not send a show out West to cover the team you paid millions to broadcasts it's games. You have your rival down the dial not only sending their A-Team to cover the Sox and the Cubs but are going to Vegas to cover the biggest event of the Spring in the NCAA tourney.

A big thumbs up to ESPN 1000 and MJH...670 is the dinosour of sports radio.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:12 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
That's the Finji we know. I just expected more thought from a Ben Finfer. which I got the second time around.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:16 pm 
1000 CLUB

[quote="Finji"][
And I can't argue with criticism of our Bulls talk. It's not great. But that doesn't mean callers are automatically turned away when they want to talk Bulls.

I bet Finji would put me on if I called to talk Blackhawks hockey . :lol: :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:17 pm 
1000 CLUB

Woodridge Ryan wrote:
That's the Finji we know. I just expected more thought from a Ben Finfer. which I got the second time around.

Ryan, now that your finished, could you wipe off your chin?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:33 pm 
1000 CLUB

Beef Rockmore wrote:
Woodridge Ryan wrote:

Ryan, now that your finished, could you wipe off your chin?

Silvy will be jealous!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:40 pm 

C2C, you win the new car. You actually HEAR what I said about Cowley. I think the Wind Sock missed the point completely. If I would have suggested writing for a paper and stringing for the Score was a conflict of interest, that would have been stupid. I didn't say that. PLUGGING the station incessantly as he has been doing in his White Sox notes is the conflict and something they taught us in our first journalism class at Ball State. Sour grapes? Hardly. I wouldn't get out of bed to piss on Joe Cowley's head if it were on fire.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:48 pm 

B-O-O H-O-O. Who gives a rat's ass. Like he's the first guy to give plugs to another corporation that is paying him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:21 pm 
1000 CLUB

[
Quote:
quote="Mac"]C2C, you win the new car. You actually HEAR what I said about Cowley. I think the Wind Sock missed the point completely. If I would have suggested writing for a paper and stringing for the Score was a conflict of interest, that would have been stupid. I didn't say that. PLUGGING the station incessantly as he has been doing in his White Sox notes is the conflict and something they taught us in our first journalism class at Ball State. Sour grapes? Hardly. I wouldn't get out of bed to piss on Joe Cowley's head if it were on fire.
[/quote]

Dan , the by-laws of the Ball State journalism school of hard knocks does NOT equate to everyday life or make Joe Cowley a bad guy for what he is doing . Your taking a shot as this guy because he works for your former station .

You want to talk about 3 guys who plug the shit out of things you should look no further than to your left and to your right and then in a mirror my friend.... By now you should have enough beef from "Allen Brothers " to start your own cattle drive. Harry plugs every eatery south of the Mason , Dixon line and Jurko has more free swag than Oprah.

Why begrudge a guy for making a few extra bucks pimping himself out to a station or a meat company or a pizza joint ?? It sounds like a petty , personal thing Dan .

BTW DAN ..WHAT HAPPEN TO THE INTEGRITY OF THE SEGMENT . :P :P :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:12 pm 
1000 CLUB

I agree with you on this one Mac. Not only does Cowley plug the Score in his articles. But he openly rips ESPN 1000 in regards to Bruce's story about Buhrle and the Sox working out a contract. Cowley is clearly on the take and using the Sun-Times to advance his potential radio career.

Nice of you to check in. Especially on the road. Have fun in Vegas. Good luck on bettin all of the Dogs. I'll be following that and rooting for you unless it conflicts with my plays. LOL.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:06 am 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Quote:
Mac wrote:
Hardly. I wouldn't get out of bed to piss on Joe Cowley's head if it were on fire.

No problem. I'll get R Kelly on the horn.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:11 am 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
Quote:
I wouldn't get out of bed to piss on Joe Cowley's head if it were on fire.

I guess its pretty sufficient to say that ol Joe won't be pulling up a chair at the neighborhood corner tavern anytime soon :!:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:28 am 
1000 CLUB

[
Quote:
quote="THE WIND SOCK"][[ You want to talk about 3 guys who plug the shit out of things you should look no further than to your left and to your right and then in a mirror my friend.... By now you should have enough beef from "Allen Brothers " to start your own cattle drive. Harry plugs every eatery south of the Mason , Dixon line and Jurko has more free swag than Oprah.

You seem to be the only guy that takes Mac to task a lot Sock ..Is this a personal thing or do you just have fun ball busting the guy?? I think it's funny that you can get Mac's hair on his back to rise 1500 miles from home .

I could care less what Joe Cowley does but it seems to keep Mac up at nights. I heard all three of them still bitching about it at the end of the show yesterday.. Who cares.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:33 am 

Someone on the radio mentioning sponsors and the products they produce? What has this world come to. What is next, real products placed in movies and bowl games with .com names?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:34 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Joe Cowley isn't going to be changing anyone's listening habits.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:51 am 

Maybe Mac can interview Joe Cowley and ask him about his no hitter he threw for the Sox in mid '80s.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:05 am 
1000 CLUB

Quote:
STU-GOTZ wrote:
[[ You seem to be the only guy that takes Mac to task a lot Sock ..Is this a personal thing or do you just have fun ball busting the guy?? I think it's funny that you can get Mac's hair on his back to rise 1500 miles from home .

NO , I like Dan and his show very much . I mentioned before that I met Dan at a remote years back and we talked about the Blackhawks and Dan teased me about being a brother and talking hockey . He was very approachable and thanked me for being a fan of his show.

I'm just debating him on something he said that I disagreed with which in essence is his job . He seems like a guy who never backs away from a good debate and that's what makes him a good host..The other stuff is a bit of ball busting by me but I won't backdown on what I believe is a double standard on Dan's part but we can agree to disagree about that .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:39 pm 

pizza_Place: Duneland Pizza
Dan, is this the first time that you've ripped Cowley for something he's done? Please tell me your answer is no.
Also, I traveled to the Sun Times Web site and did some searching. I entered Joe Cowley's name along with The Score, WSCR and Mike North -- and received only two hits. Maybe the White Sox notes aren't considered in the searches? I don't know for sure, so I can't totally dispute Mac's use of the word "incessantly" when it came to Cowley plugging The Score in his stories. Just something to think about.