It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 12:53 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 695 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 24  Next
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:27 am 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
HOVA wrote:
sinicalypse wrote:
thanks gents... soulseek is getting a workout today.

i'm borderline if i should start a thread on these $17 headphones i copped. i got 'em at borders in schaumburg where they're $25 and 30% off while they're clearing out, and as someone who burns through like ~5 pairs of headphones per year thanks to perpetually bumping music / radio whilst using public trans, these headphones almost have me ready to go back and buy another pair or two to back 'em up. don't sleep!

If you got them from anywhere in Schaumburg I can assure you that they are the greatest ever. They probably could be sold for about $300.

they're obviously not the greatest headphones ever. if you go out and spend like $75-200 on headphones, you're obviously going to get better headphones.... that's just the way it is. and looking up my koss headphones i've had for like ~8 years, they go for $25 now so i guess i'm not much of a headphone conisseur.

however, for the ~$20ish market, these things kick the living shit out of anything else i've fucked with for years. if you want some headphones that will give you nice sound and big volume for under $20, these are the way to go. we'll see how their durability is, but the fact that there's only one cord and it's gold plated and it's not 16 feet long like the sony ones will hopefully help out.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:19 am 

i'm doing the bake sale thing now. the production is really electronic yet kind of retarded... to me, it compares unfavorably to the oldschool netherworlds production, you know, something like this.

lyrically they seem to be laid back and ummm.... there. but i'll give the rest of bake sale and the other aforementioned LP a chance before i complete judgment on them... cuz all it takes is like ~2-3 OMFG tracks and then you've gotta cop a LP on vinyl on site, you know...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:20 am 

of course right after i type this "88" comes on and both the rapping and production both get a lot better. go figure!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:38 am 

incidentally, someone oughta let the cool kids know that this is how you do an electronic hiphop beat.

lyrics born - kontrol phreak (produced by lyrics born)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:00 pm 

and hey since nobody wants to talk rap with me, i'll just go to show you wu-tang marks where they copped "dolla dolla bill y'all" from when they did CREAM

jimmy spicer - money (dollar bill y'all)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:07 pm 

sinicalypse wrote:
and hey since nobody wants to talk rap with me, i'll just go to show you wu-tang marks where they copped "dolla dolla bill y'all" from when they did CREAM

jimmy spicer didnt come up with it either.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:19 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
sinicalypse wrote:

i never said he came up with it.... only that the wu-tang copped it from him.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:23 pm 

sinicalypse wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
sinicalypse wrote:

i never said he came up with it.... only that the wu-tang copped it from him.

the way you presented it makes it seem like it was his.

I dont know what you wanna talk about man. We told you about the Cool Kids and you reviewed them. Then you put up one song. You listen to more underground/hipster hop than most here.

And whenever someone is talking about anything mainstream (heaven forbid) you come with a bunch of links to more hipster hop. I mean Ive listened to some of them and theyre pretty decent.

I dont really know what youre looking for. You own the underground dude!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:45 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
And whenever someone is talking about anything mainstream (heaven forbid) you come with a bunch of links to more hipster hop.

hipster hop?!?! comeon man that fucking hurts... i abhor hipsters, in fact i am swift systemic death to their means and ways IRL and i just can't stomach the fact just because i like motherfuckers who can flow and/or say some shit that all of a sudden i'm a hipster because of it??! most of my rap music love goes back to the late 90s, which last i checked happened b4 calling things hipster became prevalent enough to occur such as in everyday conversation on internet messageboards.

there's nothing "ironic", playfully or otherwise, when i post a track. methinks that's a key when you're describing hipsterism in hiphop... i mean the cool kids are OK, but they're nothing special... that's why they're at the bottom of the bill when monch and other rappers from NYC come to town. i mean what do you want me to say? they're solid they're OK they're average, but short of hte song 88 i haven't heard anything that makes me go damn.

forgive me, i like people who can rap with interesting words and concepts and whatnot... i've had to survive being labeled a backpacker, a wigger, and evidently now a hipster just because i like motherfuckers who can flow. maybe i'm not meant to live in this world, cuz this shit sucks.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:51 pm 

wow, and the cool kids even bit my "hipster" group the mighty underdogs.

mighty underdogs - aye

[ url= http:// www. youtube. com/ watch?v=TAqmbZYUVeY ][size=150]the cool kids - swimsuits/size][ /url ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:56 pm 

sinicalypse wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
And whenever someone is talking about anything mainstream (heaven forbid) you come with a bunch of links to more hipster hop.

hipster hop?!?! comeon man that fucking hurts... i abhor hipsters, in fact i am swift systemic death to their means and ways IRL and i just can't stomach the fact just because i like motherfuckers who can flow and/or say some shit that all of a sudden i'm a hipster because of it??!

No everytime you come in this thread you list 5 songs no one has ever heard of and why its better.

Isnt that on page one of the hipster book?

sinicalypse wrote:
[i mean the cool kids are OK, but they're nothing special... that's why they're at the bottom of the bill when monch and other rappers from NYC come to town. i mean what do you want me to say? they're solid they're OK they're average, but short of hte song 88 i haven't heard anything that makes me go damn.

I dont need you to say anything.

You complained that no one wanted to talk hip hop with you. Im just giving you my theory why.

sinicalypse wrote:
[forgive me, i like people who can rap with interesting words and concepts and whatnot

You think you're unique in that regard?

sinicalypse wrote:
[... i've had to survive being labeled a backpacker, a wigger, and evidently now a hipster just because i like motherfuckers who can flow. maybe i'm not meant to live in this world, cuz this shit sucks.

Im sorry for all those atrocities happening.

I wont call you a hip hopster if it bothers you that much.

But Id say go back and read this thead a bit and see how many times people are talking about one subject (an artist, an era, a group etc) and you come in with multiple underground or waaaaay back old school stuff that has really nothing to do with the conversation (except that you think its better)

Im truly not telling you what to do or post. Im just giving you my opinion.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:07 pm 

semantically speaking, what is the point of a hip hop song of the day thread?

is it to remind you of a song that you've heard a billion times, just not much in the last year or two, in the hopes of showing everyone that you're down with the hiphop that everyone knows and loves?

see, when i see this thread i see an opportunity to toss out some shit that people HAVEN'T heard of, otherwise alls im going to be doing is appealing to their latent ego because i want to show them that we're into the same music and therefore they're fortified because i agree with them.

i thought the point of this thread was to inform, enlighten, and perhaps introduce people to shit they haven't heard of. maybe that's my weakness, as i'll admit that i've been conditioned to believe that "my" music is a crutch that supports me because i am indeed outside of the national average of music-listeners and i like a bunch of stuff i've grown to realize is horribly niche for whatever reason/(s).

i didn't necessarily receive "plays well with others" comments on my report card in kindergarten, but they did praise my literacy skills. i'm not trying to make this a competition or anything, i just see this thread as a way to try and toss some shit out there that people prolly haven't heard of and might like.... especially when we devolve into stupid wu-tang songs and other pedestrian rap. i mean, real rap doesn't sell... everyone knows that. and we can argue the semantics of "real rap" as "STUFF THAT'S LEGITIMATE TO THE STREETS" versus "motherfuckers who can actually flow" but like, i see "real rap" as the latter, and idk how many units you sold or how many ~35-40 year old people you remind of the halcyon days of their ~20s (which is what this thread evidently exists to do) i just like motherfuckers who can snap on some shit. and i try to share it.

the hipster thing hurts cuz there is no irony to what i like and/or do.... it's just kind of there and i toss it out there as an addendum to what y'all do, but the way you're pointing it out you wanna make it a competition and i get people like free ajent laughing at me when i say that i know more about rap than y'all do, and like, YOU seem to concede that.... and i dont want a sticker award plaque or trophy, i mean, i'm just throwing shit out there for people to enjoy.

it amazes me how all of this ends up turning into territorial pissings, really.... i mean, i'm just trying to toss out a song that y'all havent heard of so you have another good song, 100% free of irony.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:16 pm 

fair enough

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:28 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Dude, chill. If you like obscure (and often times bad, imo) that's your prerogative. But leave the "real rap" and "i know more about hiphop than you" at home if you don't want the hipster label. I think it's cool that you like to post shit that others may not have heard before. But the extra shit you occasionally fell the need to speak on just makes you seem like an ass sometimes...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:41 pm 

Ok I just skimmed it before and I dont care that much so I wrote fair enough hoping we could just move on to more proper hip hop from the streets that doesnt sell

sinicalypse wrote:
nd toss some shit out there that people prolly haven't heard of and might like.... especially when we devolve into stupid wu-tang songs and other pedestrian rap. i mean, real rap doesn't sell... everyone knows that. and we can argue the semantics of "real rap" as "STUFF THAT'S LEGITIMATE TO THE STREETS" versus "motherfuckers who can actually flow" but like, i see "real rap" as the latter, and idk how many units you sold or how many ~35-40 year old people you remind of the halcyon days of their ~20s (which is what this thread evidently exists to do) i just like motherfuckers who can snap on some shit. and i try to share it.

Real rap doesnt sell?

Ok...

sinicalypse wrote:
it's just kind of there and i toss it out there as an addendum to what y'all do, but the way you're pointing it out you wanna make it a competition and i get people like free ajent laughing at me when i say that i know more about rap than y'all do, and like, YOU seem to concede that.... and i dont want a sticker award plaque or trophy, i mean, i'm just throwing shit out there for people to enjoy.

I concede that you know more about current underground hip hop

But Ivan is right. This post was more hipsterish than usual.

Real rap doesnt sell

My music is niche and a crutch

I know more about this music than you

/\ These are a few of a hipster's favorite things

And whats up with asking me how many units I sold? Im not a failed rapper...or a rapper at all.

Just because its not ironic doesnt mean its not hipster

If you'd prefer music snob, thats fine.

Again, I appreciate the knowledge you bring, but when you lament the lack of conversation, Im just telling you why.

If you truly wanted to share music, you'd post the link and a short description. You like to show off your music knowledge and thats the reason for the long ass anecdotal posts about some show you saw in 97 and how hot the ciphers were.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:43 pm 

Krazy Ivan wrote:
Dude, chill. If you like obscure (and often times bad, imo) that's your prerogative. But leave the "real rap" and "i know more about hiphop than you" at home if you don't want the hipster label. I think it's cool that you like to post shit that others may not have heard before. But the extra shit you occasionally fell the need to speak on just makes you seem like an ass sometimes...

so where can i apply to the hiphop fiefdom to formally know what i'm talking about? <morpheus> what is real? </morpheus> as i touched on, does it have to do with moving units and most people being aware of it, or does it actually have to do with being able to rap well?

evidently listening to rap beyond what's right there for you in the pop-culture-spehere is frowned upon in "real rap" circles because, as i've met countless people who agree with this, it's all about how many units you move... as that is the universal arbiter of what's real and whatnot.

the fact i've been to hundreds upon hundreds of rap shows of all varying degrees and always add to my database of rap knowledge for approximately ~13-14 years at this juncture have nothing to do with what i think i "know" about rap... and the hipster label hovers over me as a means of keeping me in check should i get out of line and challenge people who have bought a wu-tang release after forever.

honestly, what the fuck is this? i'm not saying the shit i like and thusly endorse is better than your rap because it's more obscure.... i'm saying it's better because it's better. i couldn't stomach most rap until i heard a muslim and an asian rap about their spaceship, so maybe the fault is inherent in me... but doing all this "chill, accept our status quo because you're a hipster if you don't do what we say" crap is just that..... crap.

the fact is that i've logged in countless hours of my life because i love a form of music, and the fucked up part is that the stuff i've grown to identify as real good gets shit on because it's on the fringe, and thus whenever i try to evangilize for it things turn ad hominem and all of a sudden i'm this or that because i don't fall into line and remember where i was when i first heard 36 chambers.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:44 pm 

pizza_Place: *
sinicalypse wrote:
i get people like free ajent laughing at me when i say that i know more about rap than y'all do

:lol:

No traces of you, what can I do?
Alone and confused

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:48 pm 

sinicalypse wrote:
Krazy Ivan wrote:

so where can i apply to the hiphop fiefdom to formally know what i'm talking about? <morpheus> what is real? </morpheus> as i touched on, does it have to do with moving units and most people being aware of it, or does it actually have to do with being able to rap well?

evidently listening to rap beyond what's right there for you in the pop-culture-spehere is frowned upon in "real rap" circles because, as i've met countless people who agree with this, it's all about how many units you move... as that is the universal arbiter of what's real and whatnot.

the fact i've been to hundreds upon hundreds of rap shows of all varying degrees and always add to my database of rap knowledge for approximately ~13-14 years at this juncture have nothing to do with what i think i "know" about rap... and the hipster label hovers over me as a means of keeping me in check should i get out of line and challenge people who have bought a wu-tang release after forever.

honestly, what the fuck is this? i'm not saying the shit i like and thusly endorse is better than your rap because it's more obscure.... i'm saying it's better because it's better. i couldn't stomach most rap until i heard a muslim and an asian rap about their spaceship, so maybe the fault is inherent in me... but doing all this "chill, accept our status quo because you're a hipster if you don't do what we say" crap is just that..... crap.

the fact is that i've logged in countless hours of my life because i love a form of music, and the fucked up part is that the stuff i've grown to identify as real good gets shit on because it's on the fringe, and thus whenever i try to evangilize for it things turn ad hominem and all of a sudden i'm this or that because i don't fall into line and remember where i was when i first heard 36 chambers.

Look at the Victim SIni

You are the DEFINITION of a hipster

No one is telling you to fall in line. Were telling you to leave the "I know more than you and my rap is REAL" at home

But you cant help yourself

Every post involves you talking about how much you know

Youve gone to a bunch of shows and tried to be a rapper yourself, congrats, doesnt make your opinion better.

Sini wrote:
i couldn't stomach most rap until i heard a muslim and an asian rap about their spaceship, so maybe the fault is inherent in me..

No , not hipsterish at all

Last edited by rogers park bryan on Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:49 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
If you truly wanted to share music, you'd post the link and a short description. You like to show off your music knowledge and thats the reason for the long ass anecdotal posts about some show you saw in 97 and how hot the ciphers were.

or like, when i post a netherworlds song i give you a paragraph or two about the time i met murs in armpit, IL and how i dissed the guy to his face b4 i passed out drunk on the floor in front of him? or how this guy from rubberoom used to sleep on my friend's floor? or when i'm posting a song i'm ~97% sure that nobody on here has ever listened to before, here's some stuff about the MCs who rapped in it and where they came from?

so there's inhernet fault in having some story or detail about the song you're posting? is that what i'm supposed to get from your comments?

see this is fundamentally inherent to the whole hiphop way where everything is a pissing contest and while i do confess to knowing that what i like is artistically superior to the status quo (i'm tortured and i have time. it's been through my head) i know i'm going to catch shit... but hipsterdom? hipster? seriously, hipsters dislike me more than you lot do and try to convince me to like faggy indie rock. i can't do it... i just can't. this isn't some hipster thing, honestly, i've been in the rap trenches for fucking ~13-14 years and represented.... and when i try to talk about it all of a sudden i'm being knocked down by people who haven't done what i've done. if you wanna call that hipster go ahead, but the point remains that like, i know my shit. i've been there done that and i'mma do it again. and i'm objective when i describe rap, honestly, i think i'm a fair judge of skill and execution and this isn't a lark to prove i'm deeper than you... i know that already, it's just odd that while indeed i can piss 37 feet from my dick on demand, my ultimate goal isn't to convince you of that fact... but i'll do it if i have to.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:52 pm 

All that is fine and good. You are a hipster in every sense of the word.

Why you feel the need to post your hip hop resume is beyond me. You like what you like. Just as you find some of the things I post here bad, I feel the same about a good number of things you post as well. Who's right and who's wrong? Neither. It's all subjective.

The difference lies in you feeling the need to put yourself on some sort of rap pedestal.

I have no problem discusing hip hop. I love to, in fact. I'm just often turned off by people like you that think they are the authority on a subject and therefore have the final say on something becuase they listen to a track made by some guy you got high with once...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:53 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
No one is telling you to fall in line. Were telling you to leave the "I know more than you and my rap is REAL" at home

and when you do that, the inference to be read is "no, we know more than you, you dumbass little hipster.... so STFU and get over that lest we rub it in your face" otherwise why would you be doing it?

that's telling me to fall in line, last i checked.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:54 pm 

Im not reading anymore whining.

I couldnt help but read what you quoted and all Ill say is its not the anecdotes, its using them to push the fact that your opinion means more.

Your opinion on hip hop carries no more weight than anyone else here.

Thats the point

You can hide behind the status quo bullshit but this is about your arrogance. You think your opinion matters more. It doesnt. And a lot of the songs you've posted have been awful.

Its not better. Its worse. Not because I dont get it, not because its not popular...because IT SUCKS.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:55 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

sinicalypse wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

and when you do that, the inference to be read is "no, we know more than you, you dumbass little hipster.... so STFU and get over that lest we rub it in your face" otherwise why would you be doing it?

Wrong. Only one person in this thread has ever said they know more about hip hop than everyone else. That's you...

pizza_Place: Aurelios
Greatest Rapper Alive=Sir Mix-a-Lot

Steak Dinner, BOOM!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:57 pm 

sinicalypse wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

Seriously, no one here says that or implies that.

The fact that you take that away from someone saying "Stop telling everyone that youre more knowledgable than them" speaks more to your psyche than anything else.

And why are we doing it?

Because you've fucking begged for it. "Since no one wants to talk hip hop with me...."

Post how you want. Post all the lesser known music you want....just dont be shocked if its not taken well when its accompanied with your hip hop fan resume EVERY TIME.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:59 pm 

pizza_Place: *
Sooo..what's the Hip Hop song of the day??

No traces of you, what can I do?
Alone and confused

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:00 pm 

there's a reason these guys could claim forever..... and watch it end up working out because they knew their audience better than their audience would admit to knowing themselves.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:02 pm 

deep... :roll:

What does that have to do with the subject at hand? Or are you trying to start some sort of "Wu-Tang sucks" war with RPB?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:02 pm 

sinicalypse wrote:
, honestly, i've been in the rap trenches for fucking ~13-14 years and represented.... and when i try to talk about it all of a sudden i'm being knocked down by people who haven't done what i've done. .

You absolutely have to be joking.

Your failed hip hop career adds no creedence to your thoughts.

If it did, then those hipsters you hate would all be experts on rock music....of course they arent.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 695 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 24  Next