It is currently Wed Sep 25, 2024 12:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 756 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Four hours away....and on fire :-(
T-Bone wrote:
redskingreg wrote:
HOVA wrote:
I forgot how much different running on the treadmill is from running on the ground. Legs are sore and heavy and my 2nd toe hurts. I've ran 14 miles so far in 2 days(7 each day). Not running again until Saturday.

Which do you like better? I've never run on a treadmill.

What are you going to do in the winter? I probably do 75% of my running on a treadmill but I probably should
do more outside while I have decent weather. Treadmill is quite a bit easier, it's more of a convenience thing
for me plus if you are running and have to use the restroom or something it is as easy as jumping off and taking
care of business. Watching TV helps the time go by as well, but I have consistiently found that I run better
times outside and get a much better workout overall with changing terrain. I have been really lazy the last
few weeks I have to get back when I get back into town after the weekend.

Indoor track at my gym is the plan right now. If that gets tedious, I might revert to the treadmill.

The next half marathon is October 23rd. I'm shooting for a 7:47-minute pace. Really need to amp up my training over the next few weeks.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:29 pm 

T-Bone wrote:
redskingreg wrote:
HOVA wrote:
I forgot how much different running on the treadmill is from running on the ground. Legs are sore and heavy and my 2nd toe hurts. I've ran 14 miles so far in 2 days(7 each day). Not running again until Saturday.

What are you going to do in the winter? I probably do 75% of my running on a treadmill but I probably should
do more outside while I have decent weather. Treadmill is quite a bit easier, it's more of a convenience thing
for me plus if you are running and have to use the restroom or something it is as easy as jumping off and taking
care of business. Watching TV helps the time go by as well, but I have consistiently found that I run better
times outside and get a much better workout overall with changing terrain. I have been really lazy the last
few weeks I have to get back when I get back into town after the weekend.

As long as it's not icy you can run outside in the winter. I ran pretty much all the time outside all winter last year. It's all about learning how to dress in layers with the right types of clothes.

I hate treadmills because it's more about moving your legs to the speed of the belt rather than propelling yourself forward.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:32 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
They make some sweet self propelled treadmills. Put them at a good incline and its a bad ass workout.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:28 pm 

pizza_Place: zzzzzz
redskingreg wrote:
HOVA wrote:

There's nothing like running outside when the weather is nice. I've only run once on a threadmill and I didn't care for it. I'd much rather bike or use a stepper.

Personally, I don't like running outside much under 30 degrees. My nose runs and gets raw plus my IPOD dies in 10 minutes. We have an indoor track in Tinley which is excellent for indoor running.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:06 pm 

DAC wrote:
redskingreg wrote:
HOVA wrote:

There's nothing like running outside when the weather is nice. I've only run once on a threadmill and I didn't care for it. I'd much rather bike or use a stepper.

Personally, I don't like running outside much under 30 degrees. My nose runs and gets raw plus my IPOD dies in 10 minutes. We have an indoor track in Tinley which is excellent for indoor running.

I will go down to about 10 or 15 degrees. It's all about having the ability to have layers, windproof outer coat, gloves, hat or balaclava. I mean it's not the nicest thing but I think running outside in the cold is great.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:54 pm 

Hawkeye Vince wrote:
I will go down to about 10 or 15 degrees. It's all about having the ability to have layers, windproof outer coat, gloves, hat or balaclava. I mean it's not the nicest thing but I think running outside in the cold is great.

Right-on Vince! I love cold weather and I have dressing down to a science. I ice fish and go fishing in central/southern IL in the middle of the winter. Standing on a boat all day in 30 degree weather is nothing when you have the right clothes.

I just don't like how my nose runs when I run in the cold.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
DAC wrote:

I love cold weather and I have dressing down to a science.

No need to flaunt that kindergarten education in front of our noses chief.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:04 pm 

badrogue17 wrote:
DAC wrote:

I love cold weather and I have dressing down to a science.

No need to flaunt that kindergarten education in front of our noses chief.

I can help you pick out long johns if you're struggling.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:00 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
Starting weight Jan '11 265, today, 207. Nearly 60 down, 27 to go.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:55 pm 

Darkside wrote:

That's a helluva accomplishment DS. How'd you do it?

On August 25, I weighed the most I ever have which was 15 pounds more since April. Since then, I've lost the 15 pounds by simply not eating after dinner and maintaining the same lifting, biking, running routine. The few times I did eat before bed, I ate fruit. My body fat is 16% which I'd like to get down to around 12%.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:27 pm 

DAC wrote:
Darkside wrote:

On August 25, I weighed the most I ever have which was 15 pounds more since April. Since then, I've lost the 15 pounds by simply not eating after dinner and maintaining the same lifting, biking, running routine. The few times I did eat before bed, I ate fruit. My body fat is 16% which I'd like to get down to around 12%.

I keep my calorie intake below 2200 a day, and I work out each day on the treadmill.
One hour a day. 45 minutes @ 4.0mph with a 4.0 incline (not sure what that incline really means) and 15 minutes @ 6mph with a 4.0 incline. Well I said everyday, it's probably an average of 5.5x a week. A lot of sweat.
I really would like to knock out the beer. But I've stopped with them tweeds so I gotsta have something.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:29 pm 

DAC wrote:

no skittle diet.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Darkside wrote:
Good stuff Darko, congrats and keep it up :cheers: :salut:

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Boboli
Darkside wrote:
DAC wrote:
Darkside wrote:

I keep my calorie intake below 2200 a day, and I work out each day on the treadmill.
One hour a day. 45 minutes @ 4.0mph with a 4.0 incline (not sure what that incline really means) and 15 minutes @ 6mph with a 4.0 incline. Well I said everyday, it's probably an average of 5.5x a week. A lot of sweat.
I really would like to knock out the beer. But I've stopped with them tweeds so I gotsta have something.

You sure as shit held your own at Hoops too!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:04 pm 

Killer V wrote:
You sure as shit held your own at Hoops too!

:lol: :lol:
Well, I felt like I was going to die most of the time. And for the next two days.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Boboli
See? I told you you'd fit right in!

(my side still kinda hurts a little)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:06 pm 

Killer V wrote:
See? I told you you'd fit right in!

(my side still kinda hurts a little)

LIke I said, a lot of sweat.
I might have been the moistest person ever.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:10 pm 

Darkside wrote:

the incline is just resistance...like running uphill basically. it burns more calories.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:12 pm 

W_Z wrote:
Darkside wrote:

the incline is just resistance...like running uphill basically. it burns more calories.

Right. What I mean was I'm not sure what 4.0 on the treadmill means as far as a percentage of incline.
I'm guessing it's like a 8-10% grade??? Dunno exactly... :( I do however, have a level. I could measure it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:44 pm 

yeah it apparently depends...i don't know. i used to run with a lot more incline, but it fucked me up a few times.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:46 pm 

W_Z wrote:
yeah it apparently depends...i don't know. i used to run with a lot more incline, but it fucked me up a few times.

Yeah the incline hurt me too, there's this tendon that runs along the bottom of the arch of your foot and it was extremely painful to point "toes down" for a while, until I killed the incline, but now it's healed and I use it again.
I seem to remember you arguing against running on incline... why was that??

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:49 pm 

i think running on a low incline (4.0 isn't that bad but it depends on how fast you're running) is safer. it's like running with weights on. the slightest wrong move could injure you...i still think that's what led to my calf tear last fall.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:52 pm 

W_Z wrote:
i think running on a low incline (4.0 isn't that bad but it depends on how fast you're running) is safer. it's like running with weights on. the slightest wrong move could injure you...i still think that's what led to my calf tear last fall.

Wow... how much incline were you using?
4.0 is... well 40% of possible incline. I would rather go faster than more upwards. So I'd like to get my mile times under this embarrassing 10 minutes. I should be able to do 8 minute miles by now. Getting old is a bitch.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:55 pm 

well, it was insane...it was also post-marathon so i should've lowered it.

i was still doing 10.5 miles on that thing, 4.0 incline for the first 40 minutes, 3.0 for the next 10, 2.0 for the remaining, and then starting it back up with 2.0 incline for the first 8 minutes. all the while average 7.6 speed.

during training, it was fine...and it burns a shit ton of calories (somewhere between 1514-1530)...but after it, my legs were not the same.

they're in pretty good shape now...but i don't fuck with the incline.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:59 pm 

W_Z wrote:
well, it was insane...it was also post-marathon so i should've lowered it.

i was still doing 10.5 miles on that thing, 4.0 incline for the first 40 minutes, 3.0 for the next 10, 2.0 for the remaining, and then starting it back up with 2.0 incline for the first 8 minutes. all the while average 7.6 speed.

during training, it was fine...and it burns a shit ton of calories (somewhere between 1514-1530)...but after it, my legs were not the same.

they're in pretty good shape now...but i don't fuck with the incline.

Wow. I'm burning about 800 (according to the inaccurate meter on my treadmill) every day. And it's hard. Gawddamn, you were doing double that. You must have been eating like crazy.
I'm very, very interested in a mini marathon. At the rate I'm going, I should be able to do it by next summer. I have been bustin it for a while, just losing the pudge, now, I feel like I could get into a training mode. I just don't know how to do it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Ban me
What are you guys doing about running outside? This rain is really making me feel sick. I put on extra layers but it's just making me sweat more which seems to make me colder. Should I avoid running in the rain?

Awesome.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:14 am 

W_Z wrote:

Damn- that's an intense workout. I used to think I was pretty hardcore since I was running a little over 6 miles daily with some longer runs sprinkled in but you were blowing that away. I'm like DS, what were you eating?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:46 am 

people.

it's the only way... :cheese:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:50 pm 

HOVA wrote:
What are you guys doing about running outside? This rain is really making me feel sick. I put on extra layers but it's just making me sweat more which seems to make me colder. Should I avoid running in the rain?

It's up to you. I will run outside especially when I am tuning up for a race.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:35 pm 

pizza_Place: Four hours away....and on fire :-(
My legs are dead, and I have another half marathon in 23 days. Even took two full weeks off after my last one. I can barely make it 3-4 miles now. Think I burnt myself out. :(

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 756 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next