It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 12:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:17 am 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
Ozzie's gone

Fall out from the news yesterday
Cowley in studio at 10
Laurence with his thoughts
I'm almost certain that Burbank Steve will be calling in with some sort of nonsense

Also, Chico is going to be on in a bit to preview Bears/Bovifs

Finally, here's a contribution from Doug - EP on the MacSpiegs FB page this morning (sung to the tune of 12 days of X-Mas in Tony Montana voice):

Doug wrote:
Four games under
Three F Bombs
Two Division Titles
And a Plane Ticket to Miami

Better than anything Mac could write

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:25 am 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Mac will remember Ozzie more for the last 2 years rather than the World Series.

PTFB.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:26 am 

Terry's Peeps wrote:
Mac will remember Ozzie more for the last 2 years rather than the World Series.

PTFB.

Agreed

My interest is waining...I may be switching to music after the Chico interview.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:29 am 

Someone read the board last night....

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:29 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Ozzie is 'remembered' NOW for the last 2 years more than anything. Its a fresh wound.

When its all said and done, the last 2 years will be mentioned, but his legacy will be helping to bring a World Series to Chicago for the first time in almost 200 baseball seasons (between the Sox and Cubs).

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:30 am 

One of them probably has it up right now.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:37 am 

pizza_Place: Boboli
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Ozzie is 'remembered' NOW for the last 2 years more than anything. Its a fresh wound.

When its all said and done, the last 2 years will be mentioned, but his legacy will be helping to bring a World Series to Chicago for the first time in almost 200 baseball seasons (between the Sox and Cubs).

I'd hope so, but I don't believe that.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:41 am 

Thanks, Matt, for confirming the true reason why sports writers/yackers continued to pimp Ozzie nonsense as though it was entertaining for 8 years: pure laziness.

The landowner effectively owns part shares in millions of part-time slaves called, "taxpayers." -Roy L
A Personal Relationship with Jesus?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:01 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Hut
With Cowley up next, do we get another radio fight or will it be calm.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:50 pm 
1000 CLUB

reents wrote:
With Cowley up next, do we get another radio fight or will it be calm.

So was Cowley crying that his only "friend" left town? Who's going to buy his drinks now?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Hut
Not really, Cowley did say he hoped people thought of him more than that, did put the blame on Kenny during it, saying with Ozzie that he tells the truth and this is what you would expect from him and you wouldn't expect any of this from Kenny and that's why Kenny is wrong.

The only person that Cowley got mad with was a caller you called him a disgrace to the business and went back to the Magglio Ordonez stuff, Rodney I think his name was.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:36 am 

Cowley wrote today that he thought Ozzie was honest. I was thinking that was a better way of phrasing it than writing that he told the truth. Saying what you think has nothing to do with speaking truth.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
Cowley is a disgrace to the business, though. His lamprey-like attachment to Ozzie shows that his primary commitment as a journalist is not to his paper, his audience, or the truth, but to his self-preservation as a worker at a dying newspaper in a dying newspaper business. It should be plain as day to anyone that his sickening one-sidedness is an attempt to parlay his writing career into a ghostwriting gig or some kind of public relations job for when the Sun-Times ship sinks. That's all I think when I read his verbal handjobs.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:11 am 
1000 CLUB

Curious Hair wrote:
Cowley is a disgrace to the business, though. His lamprey-like attachment to Ozzie shows that his primary commitment as a journalist is not to his paper, his audience, or the truth, but to his self-preservation as a worker at a dying newspaper in a dying newspaper business. It should be plain as day to anyone that his sickening one-sidedness is an attempt to parlay his writing career into a ghostwriting gig or some kind of public relations job for when the Sun-Times ship sinks. That's all I think when I read his verbal handjobs.

He's a hack. I doubt anyone believes he has any journalistic integrity at all. He's a PR hack for Ozzie and that's it. The paper should fire his dumb ass.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:19 am 

Curious Hair wrote:

Mr. Cowley wrote:
Well you're a disgrace to your business. Cowley 1. Asshole 0.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:38 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Freezer.
Curious Hair wrote:

I don't know that THAT'S a crime. Lots of guys in the past few years have been positioning themselves for radio/permanent "(team) expert" gigs. I'm not sure how well newspapers' attempts at becoming subscription-based web sites are going to work.

That being said, Cowley was a part of the Ozzie media team, in much the same way as his son's Twitter accounts were.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:39 am 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
Of course other newspapermen are setting themselves up for other gigs. I can't blame them. But is it ever so transparent with others as it is with Cowley? Jay Mariotti is another person who was at all times angling for work outside the Sun-Times, but I never got the same impression of craven ingratiation from a Mariotti column.